Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

EO:BW has enough fun things to do underwater to keep you busy for far longer than most titles.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive.
Same here as well but damnit this looks like fun.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...never expected so much from a glorified diver simulator

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Two things:
1. Did you say your own private reef? Like, can you put the types of fish you want in it? Because
Sting-Rays rule.
2. I saw the name Bob Jingle. Bob Jingle...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Tonimata said:
...Piranhas...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Chipperz said:
Tonimata said:
...Piranhas...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes, so I'm not sure either. Would definately not take any chances, though.

And yes, I would play that game. It does look relaxing. Damnit, now I want a diver's certificate! Better buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I just picked up this game on the weekend. I really enjoyed the first one so this one was a no-brainer. There's definitely more gaming/tracking aspects, but they managed to keep what made the first so enjoyable intact.

When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
dalek sec said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive.
Same here as well but damnit this looks like fun.
Oh yeah, I would probably pay 60 for this if it came out on 360/PS3 or even PC. I'm not a big "OMG GOod GRAFIX = GG!" person, but a game like this could really be amazing if the graphics were top-notch.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Echolocating said:
When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
BUT HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOUR GUN!?

WHERE IS THE COVER SYSTEM!?!?!?

WHY ARENT THEY TALKING IN GRITTY VOICES!?!?!?

AAAHHH!!! WHATS HAPPENING WITH GAMES!?!?!?!?

*twitch twitch*

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Greg Tito said:
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.
Three stars. An average game. You'll play it and probably enjoy it. A month from now, you'll likely have forgotten all about it.
Well, it's a pretty unique "average and forgettable game". ;-) Sometimes, the atmosphere and experience is the element that pushes a game to excellence. Anyway, this is a great review. Seriously. I just don't get the scoring thing though, and probably never will; it feels like it contradicts your review.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Looks like fun. I am a big fan of nature documentaries (I recently got Planet Earth on Blu Ray, dear god its beautiful), but I don't have a Wii. I hope they'll do a port to PC or PS3 or maybe a sequel.

Also did the diver fart at 2:49?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So the game is basically a really long fetch quest?? I guess I shouldn't knock it until I play it but it doesn't seem very fun.

Greg Tito said:
Echolocating said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I enjoyed swimming around for a while in the previous game but don't really have the mindset for unlocking content. It was surprisingly enjoyable to do things like guiding someone on a dive then getting good feedback in an email.