Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I think I would prefer just going outside to fish only because I get free lunch and the pointless sense of achievement like no one hear cares about me catching a fish, So why am I even talking..... Good review by the way.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
AC10 said:
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".
Just to clear one thing up though... I don't really care if Greg Tito liked or hated the game. I was just confused by what I thought was a really positive review coupled with a surprisingly mediocre score. But yes, this is a squabble involving a score. It was like, "This game is really good! I give it a 6/10." I'm just adjusting to this new grading curve, is all. ;-)

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Wow, this looks awesome. I love fish etc, my dad studied marine biology and passed on his love of the ocean to me... but before you ask...
I AM NOT A FREAKY FISH GUY!

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
I can just tell that if i ever got this game, my life would be forfeit. I love exploring in games.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Chapper said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.
There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.

D4rkLigh7

Feb 12, 2009
If I owned a Wii I'd get this game and play it. Too bad it can't be for the PC on steam...

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
maninahat said:
Chapper said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.
There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.
The entire stripping a cow rumour was made up to support the idea of having an aquatic foe that isn't a shark.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
sounds interesting, I always liked exploration and this sounds like it rewards you well for it, too bad I dont have money for it right now

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
HentMas said:
BUT HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOUR GUN!?

WHERE IS THE COVER SYSTEM!?!?!?

WHY ARENT THEY TALKING IN GRITTY VOICES!?!?!?

AAAHHH!!! WHATS HAPPENING WITH GAMES!?!?!?!?

*twitch twitch*
CHEST-HIGH-WALLS!!! OH GOD WHERE ARE THE CHEST-HIGH-WALLS!?!?

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
It's so tempting to get the game. A nice, bright, water-based game with exploration. It's just too bad fish (or any kind of sea creature) make my skin crawl. I don't want to get freaked by some huge ass sorta creepy or freaky fish.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
AC10 said:
So the game is basically a really long fetch quest?? I guess I shouldn't knock it until I play it but it doesn't seem very fun.

Greg Tito said:
Echolocating said:
When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".

Definitely liked it better without scores.

I once did articles for a page that used review scores too (for music, of all things), and i ended up not giving much thought about actual scores because you can NEVER GET IT RIGHT. (Aliens vs. Predator should be enough proof for that).

Games, like most other things, shouldn't be rated by a vague score, and these just distract from the actual review where you can point out the good and the bad so everyone can decide if the game is something he would like personally (despite bad/good scores).
Not that it is The Escapist's fault when readers just look at the given score, still, any scoring system is pointless.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Chipperz said:
Tonimata said:
...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...
I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.
Well, a bank of piranhas can completely devour a cow in less than 30 seconds. So by knowing what you're doing I assume you mean staying the fuck away from them :p

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Crap this reminds me of that PSOne game that totally escapes me at the moment. Probably because it's the only other diving game I know of, but still it reminds me of it and that's important..to me.

Phillip C

Sep 28, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha

Scroll down to the myth's section. Piranha's won't turn you into a skeleton... but you wouldn't want one of them latching onto your ass! ;3 Looks like a fun game actually, I always enjoyed watching fish in an aquarium, but I also liked scaring them by taping on the glass and waving my hands at them.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
maninahat said:
Yes, I'm aware of that. I remember as a wee little lad that the pet store sold piranhas, and I was afraid they'd eat my finger if I'd put it in the water. My dad told me that they'd probably not, though.

Anyway, I'm no marine biologist, but isn't it the red piranha who is the most aggressive? I've always thought so.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.
Me too. When I first heard about this game I thought it'd be lame, but this looks a lot like what I actually want to do in real life without the traveling expenses and the dangers of it. I do have a small interest in games about collecting and exploring, but I have a huge interest in marine biology and aquaculture.

Because of this review I'll probably check this game out at some point.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. So, congratulations, mr. Greg Tito, you've managed to make a game called Endless Ocean sound interesting. Now if only I had money.