Review: Fallout 3

Feb 13, 2008
Gildedtongue post=6.75260.862211 said:
I'm going to unfortunately assume that the heavy focus on combat is that there's only killing people in this game? So, I should forget ever building a diplomatic character again, who doesn't always pull his gun out at the first sight of other survivors?
I think he actually responds to this in the review with Karma. Some things are gonna have to be combatted, but a diplomat with traps could probably work.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Well, I know not everything can be solved with words. I don't think Frank Horrigan is going to sit down with the Chosen One with a cuppa tea and discuss politics. ;)

I guess I just like it where "you kill people because you /can/ not because you /have/ to."

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Pardon the gigantor post, guys, but I wanted to hit a number of these questions.

smallharmlesskitten post=6.75260.861396 said:
Wait... According to that video you play as a chick....That wasn't the impression I got
You can choose to play as either a male or female character. I chose female because she'd look better in the video. ;)

milomalo post=6.75260.861442 said:
when is the game coming out? and yes is a good! review, does the game achievements/trophyes??
The game came out today.

purple_haze post=6.75260.861764 said:
He also said that about Mercenaries 1 and 2 and probably 20 other games. You can't fool me Russell!
Hey, it's not my fault they keep making games I would genuinely play until the disc falls apart. But yeah, if I had to live on a deserted island with only one game, it'd be a tough call.

oneofm4ny post=6.75260.862081 said:
Are there quest in the game? If yes what kind of quests? Is the story engaging? Why? How does trading work?
There are quests just like in Oblivion. You have to go find/kill/help someone, etc. You can do them if you want, ignore them if you want. I've been spending my time working on supplemental quests mainly and ignoring the main storyline.

The story is interesting, yes, but for me, Fallout is more about making your own story. Who are you? What are you going to do in this post-apoc world where, literally, anything goes?

Trading works like this: you have something, someone else has something, you trade. Items are assigned a base value in the currency of the realm, bottlecaps. How much you actually get for something you trade depends on your relationship with the trader and your "barter" skill.

Novajam post=6.75260.862044 said:
As for the review, pretty good, but I'm a bit sceptical that you've nothing bad to say about the game.
My problem with this game is that there's too much to say about it, good and bad. I could have filled ten reviews worth on this one, so instead I tried to boil the experience down to the most important points, the points that might influence someone who's on the fence about this game to either give it a try or avoid it.

As for whether or not there's anything bad to say, sure there is. It has flaws. There are minor graphical glitches, for one thing, but I don't think anyone is going to buy or fry this game based on the occasional clipping error.

And besides, there are plenty of reviewers out there who feel they need to make a name for themselves by indiscriminately trashing every game that comes along. If you're looking for negativity, you'll undoubtedly find it. But you won't get it from me about this game. Gears of War 2 maybe, but not Fallout 3.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I'm going to unfortunately assume that the heavy focus on combat is that there's only killing people in this game? So, I should forget ever building a diplomatic character again, who doesn't always pull his gun out at the first sight of other survivors?
A diplomatic character will definitely help you in the town, but unfortunately, as in the original Fallout games, there's no avoiding the occasional bit of combat. As the junkie chick in Springvale puts it: "The Wasteland sucks kid. Get used to it." So balancing your character to handle both would serve you well.

Although Archon did happen upon a neat way to handle uncomfortable situations involving a ray gun that hypnotizes other people into doing your bidding, even killing for you. You can also hire henchmen characters who will fight for you, but I don't know yet how successfully.

The point is, this is a role-playing game in the classic vein; you can play it almost any way you like.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Russ Pitts post=6.75260.862267 said:
A diplomatic character will definitely help you in the town, but unfortunately, as in the original Fallout games, there's no avoiding the occasional bit of combat. As the junkie chick in Springvale puts it: "The Wasteland sucks kid. Get used to it." So balancing your character to handle both would serve you well.

Although Archon did happen upon a neat way to handle uncomfortable situations involving a ray gun that hypnotizes other people into doing your bidding, even killing for you. You can also hire henchmen characters who will fight for you, but I don't know yet how successfully.

The point is, this is a role-playing game in the classic vein; you can play it almost any way you like.
I suppose so. But I have a feeling that it'll be a bit too combat driven. Take the sniper incident you mention. While it's also very, very fun to storm the building S.W.A.T. style, letting the tip of your rifle lead you and scream bloody murder to let the mad sniper defecate in his trousers, would also be interesting (at least, in my opinion...) to also take the role of the Negotiator. Trying to talk him down and such. A similar scene was in Fallout 2 and in the NCR, where a man with a bomb is about to blow himself, his robot, and his not-too-willing co-worker up over his cheating Significant Other. You had three options. You could sneak up behind him and steal the bomb from him. You could quickdraw your gun and give him a quick pop between the eyes, or you could try talking him out of it. All three lead to interesting role-playing.

But, meh, I dunno, maybe I'm just dreaming, or really boring. ;)

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
Thank god, for some reason there was a lingering doubt at the back of my mind about Fallout 3. Roll on the UK release. Anybody here picked up the collector's edition?

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
The dialogue.. still has issues with generic NPCs. As well as pathing problems for NPCs as well. (at the birthday party, all of the guests that were standing were walking into one another.)

In fact, while Fallout 3 is a good game.. it does feel a LOT like an Oblivion mod. Don't even try and play in a third person view, the same animation troubles plague Fallout 3 there too.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Crap.. I am holding off on getting Fallout 3 just because there are so many games coming out right now. Hell, even just bought a 360 just to play Gears of War 2 and Left for Dead.

It's going to be hard to wait to play this game but if I get it now then I know I'm going to get sucked in and miss out on the prime online time for all the other titles that are coming out now.

Nice review Russ... very blunt and concise cutting to the heart of what most reader want to know while not retreading all the preview content that is already out there.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
<- Collectors Edition. The bobble-head and lunchbox are awesome. I think the Pip-Boy digital clock was a bit much.

bluerahjah

Mar 5, 2008
Overall, I thought the review was pretty good. Although, I didn't see any mention of Dogmeat, and from what I hear, the AI for him wasn't really implemented that well.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
bluerahjah said:
Overall, I thought the review was pretty good. Although, I didn't see any mention of Dogmeat, and from what I hear, the AI for him wasn't really implemented that well.
He was pretty dumb in the original, too.

I did find him, but I haven't used him much since. Right after finding him I got into some hairy places and sent him away to wait for me. That part works well enough, and it was very sad-making watching him slink slowly away.

bluerahjah

Mar 5, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
bluerahjah said:
He was pretty dumb in the original, too.
That he was, I was just hoping that with Bethesda's overhaul, and the fact that Fable II has put so much emphasis on your dog companion, that Dogmeat might be a little more, how do you so, not so much of an idiot.

Dec 1, 2007
*pulls out nerdy glasses*

Hmm, zee, you see you're incorrect, manufacturing is still being undertaken, though high-tech manufacturing of things like power armor is only being engaged in by the Enclave and the BoS.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Imitation Saccharin post=6.75260.863308 said:
*pulls out nerdy glasses*

Hmm, zee, you see you're incorrect, manufacturing is still being undertaken, though high-tech manufacturing of things like power armor is only being engaged in by the Enclave and the BoS.
Point, you.

But even the brotherhood doesn't manufacture bullets. You'd think they, much like the US goverment, would have realized that the person who makes (and sells) the weapons, ultimately, controls how they're used - and against whom. At least in broad strokes.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Imitation Saccharin post=6.75260.864085 said:
Russ Pitts said:
brotherhood doesn't manufacture bullets.
Because they have energy guns. They manufacture energy weapon ammo (micro fusion cells).
This is one of those debates I cannot win, isn't it? ;)

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
Good review. I think you just put the final argument into convincing me to at least try the game (RPG is one of my favourite genre's, but haven't tried any Fallout games before).