Review: Fallout 3

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Originally, Fallout 3 didn't seem like much to me. I was a lot more interested in Fable II, but now that I see the way things have turned out, I think I might be getting Fallout 3 instead of Fable II.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Imitation Saccharin post=6.75260.864085 said:
Russ Pitts said:
brotherhood doesn't manufacture bullets.
Because they have energy guns. They manufacture energy weapon ammo (micro fusion cells).
This is one of those debates I cannot win, isn't it? ;)
I'm glad this didn't turn out the way the Halo 3 review did, the way people were arguing how the hell Master Chief survived the crash in the beginning of the game. Quite frankly, that was all that was wriiten about in that thread.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Earth Nuggets said:
Try a bit harder on the video supplements, please.

"The world is big. You can shoot stuff real good and it looks kind of neat. THE END."

Uh, OK? You're just forcing everyone looking for an actual critique to read the written review.
Note the now highlighted word. The videos are not meant to replace the reviews. The intended purpose is for you to both read and view.

UltraStationJin

Jul 2, 2008
rayman 101 said:
Originally, Fallout 3 didn't seem like much to me. I was a lot more interested in Fable II, but now that I see the way things have turned out, I think I might be getting Fallout 3 instead of Fable II.
Nooo! I was like you though. Wasn't interested in Fallout 3 in the least. Now after some reviews and game footage. I've KIND OF changed my mind and decided that I'll eventually get this game and try it out. When? I don't know. Even though I decided this AFTER I got Fable 2, I would have still gotten Fable 2 and you should too. Serious Business going on here.

waffletaco

Sep 5, 2008
avykins said:
Im still just pouting that they screwed up the levelling up system. Was one of the major things I liked about Oblivion.
Also I hope the landscape changes later on because I am sick and tired of everything looking exactly the same.
However since it appears to be soo similar to Oblivion hopefully mods will be out for it very soon.
They didn't "change" anything. Oblivion is from the Elder Scrolls series which promoted that type of leveling up. Fallout always had an xp system where a level up granted you x amount of skill points based on your int and a perk every 3 levels. (you get a perk every level in Fallout 3)

I sorta just pretended that I only got a perk every 3 levels and the other levels I just took the intense training one to boost my stats. I thought that I would anyways, but level 14 came and perks left and right I started to want. By the time I got the ones that popped up from 14, I was 16 and then new ones came! I got mysterious stranger for kicks because it was funny to have some random guy show up (especially once you get power armor and he's still in his slick suit and hat with his six-shooter)

back on topic of the quote: so yea.. Even though there are some recycled stuff, they didn't recycle the leveling/fighting mechanics. (well i guess they sorta did for melee [hold for power attack :D])

on the review: I know this is my fault, but I beat the game in 20 hours because I only did like 6 or 7 side quests and through speech, skipped a lot of main/side quests (by that I mean quests you do to earn trust of someone which in turn helps to complete an objective of main quest [thank goodness I had speech because I always thought those quests were sort of meaningless especially for a handsome and smooth talker such as myself])

So I sorta had to reload the last save I had and pretended I didn't finish what would be the "ending" and proceeded to venture off into the unknown wastelands in my sexy Tesla Armor and Plasma Rifle. :hopes there are better power armors out there: I surely find it! If not, I'll cheat and read a guide and say I found it on my own!

Earth Nuggets

Jul 7, 2008
avykins said:
Im still just pouting that they screwed up the levelling up system. Was one of the major things I liked about Oblivion.
The leveling system in the Elder Scrolls series is terrible, and utterly atrocious in Oblivion due to its use of level-scaling. You could create the ultimate character by refusing to level up. You could simply raise your abilities, ignore the whole concept of increasing your level and become a god because everything would remain pathetically weak.

To get the best stat bonuses and make a decent character, you were forced to use minor skills, which destroyed the whole point of the major ones. I resorted to making the skills I actually wanted to use the minor ones and putting the stuff I didn't want to focus on as major ones. You have to raise two different minor skills connected to two different attributes at least ten times before raising a major one connected to yet another attribute ten times to get the best bonuses. Therefore, you'll spend more time increasing minor skills and minor skills will have a greater impact on your character's development than major ones, since they'll give you two sets of +5 stat bonuses, while the major you use to level gives you only one set of +5. What kind of backwards logic is that? Switching to an XP system was probably the best decision they made in terms of game design, and shows they at least made an attempt to learn from Oblivion's mistakes.

Slycne said:
Note the now highlighted word. The videos are not meant to replace the reviews. The intended purpose is for you to both read and view.
I understand that, but he could have at least put a bit more effort into it. Susan Arendt did an excellent job with her video for Fable II. Despite being an extra, it still managed to be very informative. Russ' seemed to be hastily done, like it was put together last minute. Why even have the supplement if it adds nothing to the review? It was way too short and simply featured footage of Russ being slaughtered by random explosions and radcrabs. It honestly made the game look horrible, which didn't fit the praise it was being given.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
avykins said:
Also I hope the landscape changes later on because I am sick and tired of everything looking exactly the same.
However since it appears to be soo similar to Oblivion hopefully mods will be out for it very soon.
If you read the Fallout quotes you would know it is billed as an "Epic RPG without all the swords and spells crap" ala the back of the Fallout boxes.

Fallout is a game that isn't meant to be cart blanch for the player. The game is meant to drag you through with a sense of isolation, desperation and a strange churn of fun. It leaves the player to figure "it" out and really feel like they're working for survival. Of course, if you want to edit it into Barie's Horse Adventure, by all means.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hmm...Im still not sure about this game, mostly because it looks a hell of alot like Oblivion. I really didn't like Oblivion

1.Do the NPCs talk and animate realisticly?
2.I get the worlds big, but is it full and varied? Are there times when your spending 10 minites just getting from one place to the other?
3.Does the game need to load alot like oblivion, or is it seemless?

Basically, I had the same problem Yahtzee had. Is it emersive? I suppose it at least looks like a more interesting and origanal world than Oblvions. But if its between this and Fable 2, theres no way im getting this.

Moochkin

Apr 10, 2008
I have to say after having owned the original games i was worried about how this game was going to turn out. Would they keep the whole feel of the game or just butcher it. and so far i have to say im loving the game, but only time will tell if this game will stand up to its predecessors

Chasington

Jul 17, 2008
Moochkin said:
I have to say after having owned the original games i was worried about how this game was going to turn out. Would they keep the whole feel of the game or just butcher it. and so far i have to say im loving the game, but only time will tell if this game will stand up to its predecessors
I was worried about that too. I feel they changed the atmosphere a bit too much, i like the slums feel of the shitty towns in fallout 2, and the bigger towns that are better off, and all the gangs and prostitutes (for the general feel of the city of course). This game seems like its just a bunch of people who are doing really well in small crappy towns. Theres no crime, just random spawned raiders... But oh well. They did good in keeping a lot of the fallout feel and certainly surprised me but they also lost a lot. My opinion anywho.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Hmm...Im still not sure about this game, mostly because it looks a hell of alot like Oblivion. I really didn't like Oblivion

2.I get the worlds big, but is it full and varied? Are there times when your spending 10 minites just getting from one place to the other?

Basically, I had the same problem Yahtzee had. Is it emersive? I suppose it at least looks like a more interesting and origanal world than Oblvions. But if its between this and Fable 2, theres no way im getting this.
It's a game set in a post apocolyptic wasteland. Of course it's big and empty thats part of the ambiance.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
SomeBritishDude said:

1:NO! Not in the slightest. Mass Effect has 5-star movie acting in comparison (And I wasn't too fond of the acting in Mass Effect...). On top of that, everyone looks like a zombie. The birthday party you have during character creation creeped me the hell out. All those glazed-over eyes staring expressionlessly at you...

2:Yeah, sure. Those are the best times to be honest. The world is large and far more interesting to explore than oblivion's world was. Having tactical fights against raiders, mutants and the like, using every trick you can think of to take them out is what is making the game enjoyable for me so far. VATS is fun to use, although I don't see why I can't target specific body parts in close combat... I miss that from F1 and 2.

3: No, but I have a pretty okay computer, so perhaps it takes longer for some people. Loading has not been a concern for me so far.

As long as you stay away from people who want to talk to you the game is pretty immersive. Other than that it's like trying to take a bath in a tea cup.