Review: Fallout: New Vegas: Dead Money

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
finally a review that is favorable.

i am so sick of the reviews that can be summed up as "WAAAAAHHHHHHH The Beeping collar's too hard WAAAAAHHHHHH i don't look for bear traps WAAAAAAHHHHH i hate how you take 3 damage every 5 f-ing minutes WAAAAAAAHHHH"

it's like, did obsidian forget to pay it's protection money?

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
i didn't even know there WHERE a DLC, i havent seen a single commercial, i barely saw any for new vegas, so perhaps they just skipped my country...

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
im happy to hear that its still hard when youre in lvl 20, usually youre overpowered at lvl 9 or so. "supermutant?! ill just use my 9millimeter gun, coz im bored"

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Eh, I might buy it if it ever comes out on PC... if only to see the rest of Veronica's story. I only hope they make more DLC and package it on discs (with multiple packs per disc) for PC like they did with FO3. Broken Steel and Point Lookout were $5 well spent.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Paragon Fury said:
Are you serious?

Dead Money is pretty much an exercise in bad game design.

Enemies that a nigh-invincible to anything less to a maxed-out melee character, stealth is impossible (I know, I've tried), constantly draining health courtesy of the "this DLC was still too easy before, so lets a BS health removal mechanic to add artificial difficulty" desk, and a useless end-of-game reward that can't be carried by most player characters, and even those who can won't get much use out of it.

Some nice characters can't make up for that.
That's old school fallout. It doesn't play nice, It wont hold your hand, nor be your shoulder to cry on.
Except thats BS and I don't think there is a single person here who can cover that up. While I don't feel like turning my 360 to get the exact specifics on everything, I can tell you this much:

Going in, Level 30.

100 Guns
100 Sneak
50-ish Explosives
100 Lockpick
30-ish Energy Weapons

Yadda yadda yadda.

A whole bunch of Critical, +Damage for Guns, VATS and Sneak related Perks.

Even with all this, on Hard and Very Hard the enemies are impossible to sneak by. They will see you, and see you through two walls, and hear you when you are dead.

On Normal, they just have ESP, but really good ESP that lets them see me on the other side of a wall.

On Hard and Very Hard, companions will die before you get anything. Enemies are barely tickled by VATS-assisted Sneak Critical headshots with the only solid-state gun they give you...and the full magazine of VATS headshots later. There is not enough ammo in the entire DLC to deal with enemies; that is even if you survive long enough to make use of it.

On Normal they down-able, but you'll still run out of ammo too soon and too frequently, so Light help you if you don't have Melee or Unarmed.

The whole losing health thing would've been fine.....if Stimpacks had been more plentiful, or you didn't have waste all your healing items patching your brain back together after every single fight.

And the whole "Insta-Death" thing with the collars was pretty BS too; it cuts off so many options and plans and routes one can help but wonder if it wasn't put there to kill fun and exploration on purpose.

And while I had the Light Step perk (so thankfully I didn't have to deal with the trap BS), peace be to the person who doesn't and forgets to check every single fucking doorway.

So, yeah, the DLC is playable, maybe even enjoyable, for specific kinds of characters. At least none of the DLC in FO3 made that mistake; sure it may have been easier to sneak or attack, but at least they were both viable options, not with one being "bash your head on the wall 'till it comes down".

And to top it off, the end reward won't even be claimable by 90% of characters or so who do this DLC, because of the high weight cost.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Eh... It wasn't bad but it wasn't Great though. I kinda dislike DLC's that cant be revisited and you only have one set of missions; I want more Point Lookout like DLC.

The Collar thing was annoying but I liked the challange but after a while it was Trial and Error in some areas of that map. The Ghost people weren't diffcult at all but those damn holograms; am I the only one that thinks there brain Laser or whatever was WAY too overpowered? But I got by so no hard feelings I guess.

Also...

When you got into the Vault and looked on the table.. How many gold bars did anyone else get away with? I only got 6 thanks to my Couier only haveing 7 Strength and not alot of Wg reduceing or improvement Perks

kakaomasse

Jan 27, 2010
wow i should really get rolling, havent even started new vegas and there is already another game! shiiit

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
His joke about the dress being worn on a guy was kinda lost on me seeing as I've tried it on my male character and it's a Tuxedo if male. All in all, I think this was the first review I've seen quite rightfully praising the DLC, as it is excellent, at least in my opinion.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Seriously, it's pretty freaking hard. I breezed through the main story and was at max level (before they raised the cap), and I had to tread lightly. There were even a few times I had one bar of health, no healing, and was getting chased by the Ghost people. That was crazy.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Fox KITSUNE said:
When you got into the Vault and looked on the table.. How many gold bars did anyone else get away with? I only got 6 thanks to my Couier only haveing 7 Strength and not alot of Wg reduceing or improvement Perks

I could only get two. I sort of hoard weapons. Heavy heavy weapons.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
akibawall95 said:
why Russ was playing as a girl?
I'm on my second character. Decided to play a female on the second go-round to see how it effects the story, etc. and figured attacking Dead Money with the then level 18 character would be more fun than playing it with my lvl. 30 badass male character. I usually play males except for when I'm trying gender-specific mechanics or screwing with my table-mates heads ;)

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
teknoarcanist said:
Gotta say, there are entirely too many colons in that title. I'm actually disturbed by the idea of an expansion to a sequel of a remake. How much farther can you dilute a single franchise?

Fallout: New Vegas: Dead Money: The Graphic Novel?

Fallout: New Vegas: Dead Money: The Graphic Novel: The Prequel?

There's episodic games, and then there's being A CORPORATE BASTARD.

Actually, on second thought...no. There really aren't any episodic games <_<
...Which game was a remake??

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
I´ll most likly pick up this once they release the PC version, hopefully those cool gasmasks you see in screenshots and trailers are lootable.

But I hope they fix the bugs with the police revolver ^^

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
WrongSprite said:
teknoarcanist said:
Gotta say, there are entirely too many colons in that title. I'm actually disturbed by the idea of an expansion to a sequel of a remake. How much farther can you dilute a single franchise?

Relaunch, I should have said.

civver

May 15, 2009
Would be nice if it didn't make exploration so damn annoying. I regret buying that DLC.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
teknoarcanist said:
WrongSprite said:
teknoarcanist said:

Relaunch, I should have said.
Then by that train of thought, it isn't dragged out too badly. Fallout 3 is a sequel to 2. New Vegas is a (non direct) sequel to 3. Dead money is simply an expansion of that, I'd say. There's far more corporate series in this industry...

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Ok gotta be a story stickler here. Dean Domino isn't a "New Vegas Crooner" but actually an pre-war Crooner that survived thanks to being ghoulifed by radiation. Besides that the only thing I disagree about the review is how little you like the original companions.