Review: Fallout: New Vegas

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Fallout: New Vegas

A funnier, more colorful, more hardcore Fallout awaits you in the Mojave Wasteland.

Read Full Article

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Awesome review! New vegas comes out in 2 days for me, can't wait. I loved fallout 3, and it looks like I will love new Vegas also

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for the perspective Russ. I hate to say it but I was pretty much expecting the engine bugs; It's more or less become Obsidian's MO at this point.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I was hoping the first reveiw I read would be on the Escapist. And I'm glad to see those charming "encounters" are still plentiful - it's what gives a game character, as well as humour.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Sounds pretty much like what I expected and hoped for, sans the persistent bugs and instability. It'll be out in 3 days in the EU, and then it's time to invest plenty of hours in the wastes once more. If it's not worse off technically than the PS3 version of the last instalment, then It'll be five kinds of awesome all over again.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
All the reviews are coming so fast now haha!

From the looks of it this game will end in the 80s range. The overall game will be better once it's patched, but it still comes down to how much you care about "more of the same". I want just that and then some so I'm looking forward to this in a big way (UK release this Friday).

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Excellent review, shame I can't get my copy until Thursday, but I do have a question.

I've heard a lot about the "Wild Wasteland" perk, but I'm a little confused as to what it actually does. So far, the only explanation I've got it that it makes things more zany, whatever the hell that means. Does it make everything more colourful? Throw in a few extra punchlines here and there? Activate bighead mode, or what?

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Arrrrrrr.... can't wait til Thursday! I've loved every game I've played in the series thus far (I'm yet to play Fallout: Tactics) and this looks to be more of the good stuff =D

Shame about the engine bugs though.... They really should've fixed them by now. Here's hoping it gets patched asap. But I don't have high hopes for that unfortunately

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
How long until this review goes up on the main page? I only knew about through a Google News update regarding New Vegas reviews and there are very few comments for such an anticipated game.

Andronicus said:
Excellent review, shame I can't get my copy until Thursday, but I do have a question.

I've heard a lot about the "Wild Wasteland" perk, but I'm a little confused as to what it actually does. So far, the only explanation I've got it that it makes things more zany, whatever the hell that means. Does it make everything more colourful? Throw in a few extra punchlines here and there? Activate bighead mode, or what?
More random encounters I think... I mean RANDOM.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
How long until this review goes up on the main page? I only knew about through a Google News update regarding New Vegas reviews and there are very few comments for such an anticipated game.

Andronicus said:

Well that doesn't sound very zany.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Andronicus said:
Stabby Joe said:

Andronicus said:

Not really in the sense of "man says hi", more like "clown tries to mug you".

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Andronicus said:
Stabby Joe said:

Andronicus said:

The perk switches the games from mild amount of pop references to suit fallout 3 players or full on random humour all over the shop to suit fallout 2 players

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
Andronicus said:
Stabby Joe said:

Andronicus said:

Not really in the sense of "man says hi", more like "clown tries to mug you".
Does said clown happen to be wearing a hat made of beavers?

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
This has more humor than Fallout 3? That's exactly what I wanted in Fallout 3! Hot damn, I'm out to go buy this game.

mrmash

Jul 12, 2010
Andronicus, one of the developers said that the Wild Wasteland Perk just added more references to pop culture and throwbacks to previous Fallout games, but they gave the player the option to disable them because some people complained it took them out of the atmosphere of the Fallout universe.

Edit: Damn it, ninja'd.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I wondered about the four stars. But then I read the "after text" and then I completely agreed. For gods sake, Fix The Bugs! Please!! I'm definitely getting this. Too bad it's not coming to Sweden 'til friday. :(