Review: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Review: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

The series' latest entry also feels like one of its oldest.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I don't know why you mentioned the game gets difficult at the end. I'm barely into the second "chapter" and I'm trying to fight a boss that can kill me in two hits. The game is indeed very fun, but I would personally include the word "unforgiving" in my own review.

x84jdh

Jan 11, 2010
The two aspects of 4 Heroes that annoyed me the most were its lack of direction and difficulty.

Sounds like they nailed "homage to early FF days" to me.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I did enjoy Final Fantasy III for the DS, so getting this might just be a good idea.

(Can't believe these old-school FF games are better at keeping my attention than XII ever was.)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ohh...the difficulty is an issue? I already had my fair share of grindfests this year, I'll skip it for now.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ohh...the difficulty is an issue? I already had my fair share of grindfests this year, I'll skip it for now.
Apparently, the difficulty I had was related to the bosses' physical strength increasing as you level up, meaning you really have to take advantage of the ability to upgrade armor and such in my experience.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I don't know why you mentioned the game gets difficult at the end. I'm barely into the second "chapter" and I'm trying to fight a boss that can kill me in two hits. The game is indeed very fun, but I would personally include the word "unforgiving" in my own review.
The pirate captain? I had a lot of difficulty with him too. Being around L. 10 helps.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Oh dear me you be tearing your hair out in the second half of the game when you start fighting the "lords of evil" style bosses (with names like Asmodeus, Mammon, and Lucifer, I can't think of a better name.). Though I have found that the key to beating them lies in strategy rater than grind. Chose the right gear and class and you'll be fine.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
The enemies scale to your level so this game is all about gear and crown management. If you have the right abilities, you'll win. If you don't, you'll die horribly. The penalty for death is low and you'll get straight back into the game when you die so it doesn't feel nearly as frustrating as many other jrpgs, but eventually some of the choices you need to make for your party are so specific and the story is so predictable (even for a retro homage) that it's also not very motivating to make it all the way to the end of the game if you have anything else on your plate. I wasn't as frustrated with the strange battle system choosing targets for you as you can vaguely predict what you'll hit based on the type of attack you're using, but the inventory management was a real killer when you require spellbooks for all your spells that must be in your inventory, plus your four equips, leaving very little room for your non-stacking restorative items. When you only control 2 party members at a time for a very large chunk of the game, you curse at enemies when you find yourself throwing out your phoenix downs and high potions because you simply don't have the space to keep them.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
I was watching my one friend play this (other wise i would've probably never heard of this) and currently he was all these different animals, so I just stared like

"O.O This is.......... Final Fantasy?" >.>