Review: Final Fantasy XIII

Zombie Nixon

Sep 3, 2009
I was with you until you called the Leona Lewis song stellar.

Terrible, horrible, awful review. How do you sleep at night?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Zombie Nixon said:
I was with you until you called the Leona Lewis song stellar.

Terrible, horrible, awful review. How do you sleep at night?
I didn't say the Leona Lewis song was stellar. The soundtrack was stellar overall, even taking into account the Leona Lewis song :p

Dakeyras-Way

Aug 12, 2008
Ghostwise said:
Hurricane and Sleet will be in 15. Alongside Choco, Molar, and Despair.
Oh and watch out for Tropical Storm!! (This is a reference to Nuklearpower.com's 8-bit theatre)

I wouldnt call the soundtrack stellar.. it's okay but very annoying after your been in the area for more than about 5 minutes

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Warachia said:
ALL FF GAMES ARE LINEAR. Get that through your thick skulls.
And if linearity was a black and white issue your statement might have merit. This might come as a surprising reveal, but a grey scale exists between total freedom and walking down a a single hallway. XIII leans towards the single hallway, where as in the past Final Fantasy games have existed somewhere in the center leaning towards linear. If you can't see that then I would recommend examining the thickness of the your own skull first.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Warachia said:
This game is extremely linear even by Final Fantasy standards. Get that through yours. :p

Even in FFX, arguably the most linear other than this, you could still explore; there were still towns, there were still different pathways to go down.

Dakeyras-Way

Aug 12, 2008
Well yeah they are linear story wise but most of them at least have explorable areas and the option to follow the story or do something else like explore that creepy building over there... the first 15-20 hours of the game there is literally a path ahead of you with the occasional fork which in most cases joins back on in about 30 meters allowing you to ambush a powerful group of enemies...

In FF7,8,9,10,12 well actually in pretty much all FF games you explore towns and go through different rooms and find secret areas all over the place... in this game there are about 3 or 4 optional areas total... the rest of the areas are straight line linear pathways to the next cutscene. I actually don't remember ever exploring anywhere except the open area part... which is as mentioned previously about 15-20 hours in and not very large anyway..

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Besides Cloud and Lightning, I don't remember anyone else being named after weather effects... Snow doesn't count, because he licky boom boom down and all of that. And then you take into account that Lighting was designed by the staff to be a female Cloud then it makes sense.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Meh, if pacing's the only massive issue, I'm down with that. FF VII had a similar 20 hour startup sequence, but if that's the only issue, then I'm gonna love this game.

Great review.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
John Funk said:
Warachia said:
This game is extremely linear even by Final Fantasy standards. Get that through yours. :p

Even in FFX, arguably the most linear other than this, you could still explore; there were still towns, there were still different pathways to go down.
And then there was X-2.

Oh GAWD that was horrible, and I chalk a pretty hefty hunk of it up to it being not linear enough. So far I'm liking X more, but I'm not through the halfway point with XIII yet, so we'll see.

I'm also waiting for them to turn off the real time battle system on these games again. I like having more control in that regard- the story can be a strait as a board for all I care.

Dakeyras-Way

Aug 12, 2008
Furrama said:
Besides Cloud and Lightning, I don't remember anyone else being named after weather effects... Snow doesn't count, because he licky boom boom down and all of that. And then you take into account that Lighting was designed by the staff to be a female Cloud then it makes sense.
Squall for one

Dakeyras-Way

Aug 12, 2008
Furrama said:
I'm also waiting for them to turn off the real time battle system on these games again. I like having more control in that regard- the story can be a strait as a board for all I care.
It's not the Real-timeness that needs to be turned off its allowing you to actually do more than spam attack... I mean the RTB in FF VII-X were pretty good for control... (ie you could actually choose more than auto-attack)

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
I'm about 30 hours in and I've actually enjoyed almost every bit of the game so far. The linear portion doesn't hurt the game in the least IMO seeing as how Final Fantasy is played for its story first and foremost (Or so I would assume as thats what I always loved about the series). Not too far into the non-linear section but it seems pretty awesome as well, and I'm quite excited that some of the regular mobs actually require some thought to kill (i.e, Com/Rav/Rav the entire fight will get you killed). So far my only real gripe about the game is that if your main character dies you have to retry :/. It should wait till all of your characters are dead.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Slycne said:
Warachia said:
And if linearity was a black and white issue your statement might have merit. This might come as a surprising reveal, but a grey scale exists between total freedom and walking down a a single hallway. XIII leans towards the single hallway, where as in the past Final Fantasy games have existed somewhere in the center leaning towards linear. If you can't see that then I would recommend examining the thickness of the your own skull first.
I find it extremely sad that many cannot examine the old to understand the new. If you look at older FF games, (the ones I'm using are 1,2,4,5,7, and 9) they are just as linear, you can wander off the path to a hidden treasure chest, but that is all that is waiting for you. you cannot influence anything, aside from names, equipment and combat, and all of these ff games have mainly only 1 corridor you follow through to make it to the end of the stage. Those are past FF games, and I would like to know what you werwe expecting if not more of the same.

By the way, I do like FF games, but mainly for their storytelling and enviroments.

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
Dakeyras-Way said:
Furrama said:
Squall for one
Tidus for another kinda... ya know.. tide, water.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Dakeyras-Way said:
Furrama said:
Squall for one
Oh yeah, Squall. For some reason I keep thinking that's a ground bird :D

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
John Funk said:
Warachia said:

When most of the dungeons are quite literally LINES I think calling the game "Agressively Linear" is fair.