Review: GoldenEye 007

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Covarr said:
jabrwock said:
Me and all my friends were cautiously optimistic about this game when it was announced. Glad to hear it's a solid remake, instead of a cheap port.
It's neither. A better term would be "spiritual successor". While it's very much intended to have a similar style, and invoke similar feelings as the original, it's too different a game. This is no more a remake than Super Mario Bros 3 is a remake of Super Mario Bros.

P.S. Thanks
I wish more people would be honest about that.

You hit it on the head.

It's an average FPS, not much better than any alternative. It's getting a pass because it's got Goldeneye in the name and Bond in it.

I don't HATE it, but it does little better than the original :/.

Jesus, Perfect Dark was a better "re-imagining" than this is.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Wow, this game is getting good reviews across the board. Another reason to pick up a Wii eventually I guess.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Sober Thal said:
Whoever is playing on the bottom screen isn't an fps gamer right? If not, the controls look horrible!

Nice review tho, I'm tempted, but not sold on picking this up. I am a horrible person.... I didn't like the original.

: (
The bottom half of the screen was played without the Classic Controller Pro. Greg didn't comment on it in the video, but the game is really hard to play with just a Wii Remote / Nunchuck. The stick on the Nunchuck controls strafing, so the sensor bar is left to determine turning. Since it's also used for targeting, you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen. It makes sense for the control scheme, but I'd strongly recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro.
In another review, I heard using the wii remote and nunchuck worked quite well. I'm just gonna assume the bottom screen player sucks :p

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I don't have a classic controller pro but I think wiimote and nunchuck works (at least easier than GC controller xD), you can set practically everything so that it becomes super sensitive if you want.

daavisb

Jun 14, 2009
this could be great. I recognize some places from the orginal game. (or I just think so)
but why is the new james in the old bond game? copyrigt problems?

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Weird, it actually surprises me that someone would find the game enjoyable. I thought that Activision would make it "Call of Duty: MW2: James Bond." I might pick this up now.

Apr 28, 2008
Just answer me this, does the game still have an animation for when you shoot enemies in the crotch?

Castratikron

Apr 15, 2009
Holy shit in the nightclub they were definitely playing 'I Remember' by Deadmau5..... Amazing song by an amazing artist

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Gods, that's a relief. Now that we finally have a successor to it, maybe people will stop moaning about how they need a Goldeneye for the modern era.

Jim15

Jul 27, 2010
My main problems with this game aren't necessarily focussed on the game play itself (Despite how overused and stale it is), but the reason the game was made. See, from the look of it and several reviews I've read and videos I've watched, this game is basically Call of Duty for the Wii with the name Goldeneye slapped on.

Instead of overhauling the story, I would have preferred they overhauled the FPS genre and actually tried something different in this game just as the original did. That's why it was so popular. It dared not to conform with other games and it worked because it added something new to console games. You can't make the next big title without taking risks, but Activision took absolutely no risks here, with maybe the exception of changing the character models and story, perhaps turning a few classic players off the game. I'm not saying this game is bad at all, but what really sets this shooter apart from the other copy/pastes of Modern Warfare? That it's on the Wii? That it's got Goldeneye in the title? I'm just not sold on this one. Maybe if the price goes down in a year or two I'll pick it up.

At the very least, this game actually looks like it's good and had effort put into it unlike Rogue Agent which was just plain shameless. Anyone looking for a good FPS on the Wii should get it if they like the shooters of today and don't already own Call of Duty, but for me, this just feels like it'd be a waste of money.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
good to see they didnt fuck up with the classic

but, I can say in my opinion, that it would have been better if they didnt changed Bond for Ken doll

but that's just personal nit picking, which I do to hide the fact that I may be the only one in this forum who doesnt own any next gen console, or past gen, for that matter, except a sega genesis

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
"You can go through the whole game shooting at everybody at a distance, especially on the easier difficulties, but I liked that I had the option of stealth if I wanted to feel more like a spy than a soldier. It's not quite Deus Ex, but the option is nice. And if you want to complete the game on the harder difficulties where health doesn't recharge, stealth is almost necessary."

This was what I was most worried this re-imagining wouldn't get right. I did love the multiplayer of Golden Eye but I played through the single player game a lot. It was amazing to me to learn that the game required stealth in the harder difficulties. Learning that firing a single burst (no more than three bullets) from the AK only alerted enemies immediately in view, rather than all enemies nearby, was insanely useful in the prison level, and hiding behind the door and shooting out the window felt ingenious to my young self.

This was the kind of game play, although perhaps evolved, that I was worried this remake wouldn't have. Emergent gameplay. I'll have to give it a try.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
How good are the Wiimote+Nunchuk controls in this game when compared to, say, Metroid Prime Trilogy?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Good News! Very good news! This makes me a very sad panda though, because I do not, and never will, own a Wii. But it's a relief to hear that GoldenEye Wii doesn't ruin the wonderful memories of the legendary GoldenEye 64.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I'm surprised that the game has so much personality over the original. Honestly, I think I might get this game for the single player...