Review: Halo: ODST

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
If it weren't priced for the most efficient gouging of impressionable Halo fans, I might consider picking this up, if I knew it required more tactical thinking than the usual Master Chief/Arbiter wade-into-enemy-fire-guns-blazing procedure. This being Halo, however, I'm sure even the fragile ODST troopers regenerate their health pretty quickly.
Actually they brought back the health system.

RadioActiveChimp

Mar 3, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
05rutterb said:
There aren't new enemies, but there's harder versions of the enemies already in halo.
Heh.

Well that's not very creative. Harder versions of the same enemy's don't count as new enemy's in my book.
one thing i'll say about the enemy's is that the A.I. is far FAR better. firefight feels like a different game with the same visuals.

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
"This is what Bungie does, and they do it better than anyone else."

What, make a very floaty shooter for the largest niche of gamers(Halo fanboys) and copy and paste the multiplayer a few times while ignoring the importance of a single-player campaign? I mean, you said it yourself, the single player could be considered more of a "training grounds" for the multiplayer. Sorry, but I'll stick to Unreal if I want a decent floaty multiplayer game that doesn't require you to shell out ten bucks if you want to play more than one type of multiplayer.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
muffincakes said:

What, make a very floaty shooter for the largest niche of gamers(Halo fanboys) and copy and paste the multiplayer a few times while ignoring the importance of a single-player campaign? I mean, you said it yourself, the single player could be considered more of a "training grounds" for the multiplayer. Sorry, but I'll stick to Unreal if I want a decent floaty multiplayer game that doesn't require you to shell out ten bucks if you want to play more than one type of multiplayer.
What forces you to type a paragraph just to bash a game that isn't out yet for a well known series? A game being popular, debatably overly so, is no excuse to enter troll mode every time it's mentioned.

On topic I'll wait for some gameplay videos to come out for the silenced smg sections to see how important stealth actually is, as that seems to be the biggest difference between this and halo 3.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"More of what you love about Halo" - seriously the only other game series that can shamelessly get away with packing the exact same features every time is Mario.

EDIT: Oh and Bungie are some of the worst and most boring/unoriginal developers there is.

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
muffincakes said:

What forces you to type a paragraph just to bash a game that isn't out yet for a well known series? A game being popular, debatably overly so, is no excuse to enter troll mode every time it's mentioned.

On topic I'll wait for some gameplay videos to come out for the silenced smg sections to see how important stealth actually is, as that seems to be the biggest difference between this and halo 3.
Well, first off, the game has been released. Second, I did not bash the game, I merely pointed out certain characteristics about the other games which are true, and that I disagree with(the games are floaty, and the multiplayer is recylcled[although that could be said about any game]). Third, the only reason I stated my opinions in the manner that I did was because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.

The only troll here is you, for trying to start an argument when one is not needed or necessary. If you disagree with my opinions, fine, to each his own. But don't try to shoot down my opinions an act like you are the high and mighty enforcer; all you are going to do is start trouble.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
meh... if there is nothing new about Odst there will be no point of buying it, since the original game was just like Ut 2004 with 10 times more health in the multiplayer mode.
By the way, Halo has not changed gaming history, it has been more of a step in the wrong direction of the console fps

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
muffincakes said:
... because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.
Or perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, his opinion is based on his personal experience playing first person shooters?

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
muffincakes said:
... because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.
Or perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, his opinion is based on his personal experience playing first person shooters?
Well fine, I'll give you that, and I apologize to Russ for my assumption. However, most reviewers seem to be afraid to criticize Halo because it is so popular, so they make statements like his. Again, my mistake. *Hopes no mods were offended and hides*

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
muffincakes said:
Don't bother, it's rather tiresome to convince Halo-haters to think otherwise. They'll always pull that stuff out right back at you. It's best just to avoid them.

EDIT: Scratch that, I see he apologized... guess I should too. I've just grown to stray away from "Halo sucks" comments in every form. The people that make them usually don't take it back.

More on topic, this basically just made me look forward to the game more. I'm a bit overly fond of the Halo story, and I've wanted a very, VERY long time to be able to play as an ODST. And the fact that three of them will be Mal, Wash, and Jayne just make it all the better.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
muffincakes said:
Susan Arendt said:
muffincakes said:
Well fine, I'll give you that, and I apologize to Russ for my assumption. However, most reviewers seem to be afraid to criticize Halo because it is so popular, so they make statements like his. Again, my mistake. *Hopes no mods were offended and hides*
We're not most reviewers. :)

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
KDR_11k said:
The good news is that Halo: ODST is more of what you love about Halo. That's also the bad news.
Wait, they're shipping an empty box?
Good one, that made me laugh.

Interesting review, not much use to me, I have no 360 to play this on.
I will say that I loved the ODST commercials, and my inner,bitter, Halo-hating cynic, sees a positive review of ODST on a site that just went under an ODST makeover...

But I don't think you guys are guilty of the same thing as that other videogame review site, this is a great site for reviews when you guys have them. So cheers! and I hope everyone enjoys ODST.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Wow. It's amazing how many people can look at a recommendation like this:

Recommendation: If you're a slave to multiplayer, then you need this game. Everyone else will be playing it, plus it comes with the complete set of Halo 3 downloadable maps as a bonus freebie. If multiplayer isn't your thing, then you might give this a rent to see if it hooks you. You'll probably still enjoy it, even if you're not a Halo fanboy, but the price is a bit high for such a short game.
and still say this review proves the game isn't any good. Say hello to the internet's biggest demographic which hates a game without playing it, everyone! The Halo hater!

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
We're not most reviewers. :)
Holy crap that's badass.

And I find it funny to read a review on ODST with the game's ad completely over-saturating the page. Not saying it causes bias, it's just amusing.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I dont trust any game that gets an great review by handing out advance copies to certain large websites that specialize in game reviews. Coincidence it scores a 9.0 on Gamespot 2 days before launch with huge ODST banners everywhere on their site?