Review: Halo: Reach

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Bungie's farewell Halo title is also arguably its finest.

Read Full Article

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I give it a 7/10.

I finished the campaign today; the story was not engaging, the characters boring and the action and battles don't live up to their predecessors. Also there were plot holes; lots of plot holes, which i'm pretty sure there will be attempts to cover up.

When compared to the EPICNESS of Halo 3 (and 1 & 2) in terms of story line and battles Reach falls far short. You drive PAST scarabs in the last level, rather then engaging them. You DON'T take on hordes of enemies, the enemies themselves seemed smaller, less fearsome and more boring then in Halo 3.

On the upside the mission where you fly Sabers was fantastic. The mission where you spend 45 minutes island hopping (for lack of a better term) in a Falcon was not. It was dead boring, my co-op partner and I couldn't wait to finish it.

Also there was no Scorpion (tank) mission. What's up with that? I'm fairly sure I am not alone in looking forward to Halo tank missions; they played a big part in 1,2,3 and ODST and were a major fun factor.

I also found Firefight less entertaining then in ODST. They have made one major improvement: unlimited ammo on the maps. Having once done 3 hours on one firefight session in ODST however it was not as engaging in terms of switching skulls on and off and the variety of enemies. There is however the option to toggle the settings on firefight, which is a plus, and admittedly i haven't spent much time getting to know these.

I recommend it as a multiplayer game for online play and firefight. The campaign however is... more then a little disappointing.

PS Jetpacks = fun multiplayer. Oh and they haven't fixed the problem of simultaneous beat downs, if MW2 doesn't have simultaneous stab problems (that i have noticed anyway) why should Halo?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I agree. Every game should have a jetpack in it.

Also, good review. Now if only UPS would get its act together I may be able to find out what all the fuss is about.

PixelJunk

Jun 28, 2010
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
Isn't that maybe a little harsh?
that maybe a lot harsh?
Not harsh at all. To actually pay full price for something that's already been done "and better I might add" is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I love Bungie. Have many fond memories of the Marathon trilogy, Pathways Into Darkness, Myth, but that was a long time ago. Somewhere along the way Bungie lost what it meant to be an independent innovator. To celebrate that in anyway only shows what's wrong with the industry. So to the Halo series good riddance. Now maybe Bungie can get their act together.

*edit*

Bring on the hate.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Playing it now, and do love it...

Death from above ftw!

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?
It's a Halo thread. The game is a lightning rod for trolls.

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed Halo.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
What can you do? Irrational hatred is irrational.

I was fairly 'ehhhh' about Reach for a long time. I really enjoyed the Halo series, but it certainly wasn't a 'favourite' of mine. However, I've been watching and reading multiple reviews, and finally allowing myself to view some game-play videos and trailers and I'm pretty impressed. My Amazon copy will be arriving either today or tomorrow, and I'm quite happy (and not over-hyped) to don the armor of the Spartan once again.

Looks like a great, fitting conclusion to a fun, enjoyable series.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I'm still on the campaign and I'd have to say that it is miles ahead of ODST in the fun dept. (ODST being the only other Halo game I've played). I'm loving every minute of it and I think it has definitely encouraged me to play the rest of them.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed Halo.
I wrote a one sentence statement to get in for first place, then immediately set about backing up my opinion. I am a fan of Halo; otherwise i wouldn't have finished the campaign the day it came out.

The fact is i don't understand all these great scores it's getting; because as a gamer who grew up on Halo i can't help but be disappointed in this game.

Now all i have to do is wait to be bashed for not liking it and disagreeing with people.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?

So they're stupid because they don't agree with you? Nice.

He wasn't trolling anyway - he just gave a score. To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
All I wanna do is Campaign and Firefight. Tons and tons of Firefight. And I'll end up helping out tons of friends on Legendary runs, before moving onto the dreaded Solo Legendary run...

I'll go Solo on Normal/Heroic first, then jump online.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

I finished the campaign today; the story was not engaging, the characters boring and the action and battles don't live up to their predecessors. Also there were plot holes; lots of plot holes, which i'm pretty sure there will be attempts to cover up.

When compared to the EPICNESS of Halo 3 (and 1 & 2) in terms of story line and battles Reach falls far short. You drive PAST scarabs in the last level, rather then engaging them. You DON'T take on hordes of enemies, the enemies themselves seemed smaller, less fearsome and more boring then in Halo 3.

On the upside the mission where you fly Sabers was fantastic. The mission where you spend 45 minutes island hopping (for lack of a better term) in a Falcon was not. It was dead boring, my co-op partner and I couldn't wait to finish it.

Also there was no Scorpion (tank) mission. What's up with that? I'm fairly sure I am not alone in looking forward to Halo tank missions; they played a big part in 1,2,3 and ODST and were a major fun factor.

I also found Firefight less entertaining then in ODST. They have made one major improvement: unlimited ammo on the maps. Having once done 3 hours on one firefight session in ODST however it was not as engaging in terms of switching skulls on and off and the variety of enemies. There is however the option to toggle the settings on firefight, which is a plus, and admittedly i haven't spent much time getting to know these.

I recommend it as a multiplayer game for online play and firefight. The campaign however is... more then a little disappointing.

PS Jetpacks = fun multiplayer. Oh and they haven't fixed the problem of simultaneous beat downs, if MW2 doesn't have simultaneous stab problems (that i have noticed anyway) why should Halo?
...there was a scorpion tank mission. Did you miss that entirely in the return to Sword Base?

To each their own. I found it WAY better than 2 and 3. I *liked* the subdued feel of things; it made it feel more personal. You have better things to do than engage the Scarabs in that one level - it's like how you don't fight any of the Covenant while you're running away in the warthog in the finales of Halo 1/3.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I have to say, this game looks like fun. I never was a huge fan of Halo, but 1 and 3 were entertaining enough for a while. They weren't that deep for me, but they certainly were entertaining. If this game ups that level of fun, I might have to buy it.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
I don't want to start a war or a discussion, really.. but it just looks so *unappealing* to me..

Each to his own, mine is somewhere over there.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?
How is it harsh? 3/10 would mean it's bad. 5/10 means that the game is average. 7/10 or 8/10 would mean the game is great. 10/10 implies perfection. If he finds the game to be that amount of fun, shouldn't he be allowed to think so?

Withard

Feb 4, 2010
The Spartans soldiers are now a comic gold. Halo Legends only sought to solidify that. Having played the game its about 6 or 7 out of 10 for me too :(

ahh well.

Chamzaboogie

Mar 29, 2010
Nice review, I could feel the epic wind of Reach blowing. I just cannot wait to coop through the campaign.

As a side note, how is the music? I always enjoyed the Halo theme and how it fits perfectly with the action.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chamzaboogie said:
Nice review, I could feel the epic wind of Reach blowing. I just cannot wait to coop through the campaign.

As a side note, how is the music? I always enjoyed the Halo theme and how it fits perfectly with the action.
It was one of the things that I didn't like, actually. Not to say that it was bad by any stretch of the matter - Marty O'donnell is a great composer - but that it just didn't have a really memorable track for me until the very end.

BrunDeign said:
If Halo is such a multiplayer centric franchise, why is there no multiplayer review? Are they going to release one?
Yes. Traditionally, our reviews for all games focus on the singleplayer, since different players will have wholly different experiences online, but we'll have a multiplayer segment coming sometime soon from EIC Russ Pitts :)

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
If Halo is such a multiplayer centric franchise, why is there no multiplayer review? Are they going to release one?

weker

May 27, 2009
well this is a thread I will leave before the trolls and such flock here in the dozens lol
na it should be safe ish
I like all halo games and i know this wont be an exception
I highly doubt the game is worth anything less then a 9 (if scores are important for you)
as the sheer amount of good balancing good improvements and new content makes it clearly not worth a 8 (game radar gave the game a 8 but then again they gave start craft 2 ten so me listening to their reviews have stopped )

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
John Funk said:

Read Full Article
I saw you playing this and thought about sending you a message saying something along the line of i look forward to the review, but a thought occured to me, what if this is an important part thats going into the review. So is it a good idea to send you a message when your playing a game i know your going to be reviewed.

Sh4dowSpec

Jan 16, 2009
Lim3 said:

While the first three installments of Halo were undoubtedly fairly epic, think about it--were the characters in them really that engaging? The only one who got more than 5 minutes of screentime at a time was Master Chief, and he's the proverbial blank slate--no personality whatsoever. Furthermore, if you look into the games and the canon behind Halos 1, 2, and 3, you will find that there are several major plot holes which Bungie has attempted to fix with (and I kid you not here) time travel.

As for the Scarab issue you mentioned, the simple fact of the matter is that the soldiers of Noble Team are NOT Master Chief--they cannot take down a Scarab single-handedly. If they could, all of the attempts at making the characters seem like just another group of humans caught up in events they are not able to control would have gone right out the window.

And as one Halo fan to another, let's face it: the storyline in Halo has always sucked. What Bungie really tried to focus on in this final installment was the atmosphere of soldiers fighting a battle they are doomed to lose. If you go into it with the right mindset, it can be a very powerful and moving game--FAR more so than Halo 3, whose campaign was all of 6 hours long and basically consisted of "everybody wants everybody else dead, and oh look, there's the Flood again."

P.S.--The reason that Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have multiple stab issues is because when two people stab each other at roughly the same time, the system automatically picks one player at random to get the kill. Since it usually takes multiple melees in Reach to kill an opponent, they decided to allow simultaneous melee hits.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
A good halo game, what a shocker! when Yahtzee inevitably decide to review Halo I will skip that review. Some people game the games have bad stories and cookie-cutter characters, but here's a question, what FPS doesn't have at least one of those flaws? I'm still buying the game and I will still enjoy the game regardless of what anyone else thinks.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
A perfect score from the Escapist for Halo? I guess this means you're being paid off by Micro$oft, right? Because, as we all know, a popular, hyped franchise can't really be any good.

Seriously though, good, in depth review, and hopefully I'll agree with it when my fucking copy gets here. Seriously, it's been out for delivery since half 8 this morning, and it's now almost 4. Christ.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I have it waiting in my mailbox for me when I get home from work.

I haven't played a halo game since the first game (which I thoroughly enjoyed while I wasn't playing KoTOR), however, I am very much looking forward to this incarnation. I wasn't so much interested in Halo 2-ODST (though I have recently been recommended ODST), because they felt overly grandiose (not to mention the 5 hour campaign in 2 that my friend raged about).

I am interested to see how this game satisfies my Sci-Fi shooter urges, because I am growing pretty tired of the contemporary shooters - I don't find that contemporary shooters to offer the escapism that historic/sci-fi ones can do (except TF2 <3). On a side note it'll be interesting to see what Activision/Bungie spawns...

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
mmmmm... i wouldnt buy it (because im buying Dead Rising 2!)
but id sure play it, and see if it can make me think shooters can be fun (the last fun shooter that i played was Unreal Tournament... Halo has a LOOOOONG way to go before beating that)

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Ahhhhh Tuesday Tuesday, game release day!!! Seriously check every game release day!! It?s on a Tuesday ^-^

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed likes Halo.

Fixed that for you. =P

In all seriousness, I have no doubt it's a good game, I'm just still bitter that they moved the first Halo from the PC to the Xbox originally. I was so pissed off at the time, I was really looking forward to it, then they did the unthinkable, they put an FPS on a console. Mouse and Keyboard ladies and gentlemen, the best only was to play an FPS.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Eh, I have no problem with cookie-cutter characters or story, as long as both are well-implemented. Just rented the game and am about to dive in... against heavy odds I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that us German players aren't going to get stuck with nothing but the horrible dub.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Damn, too bad the video supplement didn't included Multiplayer, I guess the servers weren't online then?

Either way, I hope Epic Studios will be very kind to give you Gears of War 3 in advance since you are so close friends/neighbors. I am totally waiting for that game to come out.

I have to give this game a rental.

OblivionRegained

Nov 13, 2008
I like the Halo games. Dont get me wrong im not a huge poster on the forums here, but alot of what i have posted on here is my thoughts on Halo, not all together positive... Anyway i have always liked the single player campaigns, the multiplayer can suck a fat one (piece of trash). I like the single player because of the the feel of the environments your run around in and epic music as you do.

Im not gonna dump on Reach as i have not played it, ill wait for it to get traded in and then play through the co-op. But what i will say, Halo ever since 2 has lost its shine, its zip, its in the immortal words of Dethklok, its Zazz. Halo 3 was just boring and contrived, and dont get me started on the Gravemind and Guilty Spark. (If you know Irish politics he reminds of Ian Paisley who is a giant fucktard and Guilty Spark is more annoying than Jar Jar Binks.)

Screw this im done, Halo as a series was decent, 1 Was great, 2 was better imo, 3 was trash, ODST was good, i liked not playing as Master Chief for once being a squishy mortal gave more of a reason to be calm and considerate when playing on solo-legendary, lack of stealth sort of undermined the reason for silenced weapons...

Ill be saving my money for better and more original games. Some one trade in Reach quickly in Belfast for me peeps so i can test this pap :D

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
JIst00 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed likes Halo.

Fixed that for you. =P

In all seriousness, I have no doubt it's a good game, I'm just still bitter that they moved the first Halo from the PC to the Xbox originally. I was so pissed off at the time, I was really looking forward to it, then they did the unthinkable, they put an FPS on a console. Mouse and Keyboard ladies and gentlemen, the best only was to play an FPS.
Technically they moved it from the Mac to the Xbox. PC was an added bonus. Just so everyone knows it was originally supposed to be Mac exclusive to show what you could do with its graphics. Buuuut microsoft bought them over. And the guy in charge of Bungie actually ended up leaving the company, but hey lets stay positive.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Okay then Funk, serious question.

Is it good enough to justify going and getting a new slimjim 360?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Halo, Imma real happy for you

But I gotta say I never liked the games. I'm not a cover-clinging Realistic Shooter type, it's just that the only experience I've had of the game has been around other peoples houses, playing odd missions co-op or just a 2v2

I understand that this is not reflective of the key elements (singleplayer and multiplayer online) of the series, but I have no XBOX and lack the patience to try it out.

I will say this though:

It's revolutionised gaming, and it makes THE. MOST. AWESOME. adverts ever

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
That's a touch harsh do you not think?

There's plenty of people who fall into both pro and anti Halo camps who you could call a certifiable dumbass. It's not so much their opinion as the lack of perspective and tolerance applied to it. Doesn't mean you should ban everyone automatically for having opinion X.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
I don't understand why people hate people who like certain games I mean really? come on. I have a wide variety of games that i like to play ranging from fps games to rts and rpg games. I have no hate toward any people play any certain game. why can't people enjoy both Halo and Call of duty??

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Woodsey said:

He wasn't trolling anyway - he just gave a score. To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.
Evidence for my theory accumulates quickly.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Woodsey said:

Evidence for my theory accumulates quickly.
Evidence for mine just dropped down in one fell swoop.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
out of interest in the whole halo phenomenon thing i got halo 3 yesterday and it's like everybody else is talking about a different series this game isn't mediocre it's bad. this however actually looks like more fun and the escapists reviews are nearly always accurate. if a little too generious. i'll rent it sometime.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Still curious how everything got so much more low tech AFTER this Prequel.

Games a very refined Halo game. Id say its the best out there since its got EVERYTHING from ALL the previous 4 Halo games. Well at this point it better right? XD

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
BloodSquirrel said:

There's plenty of people who fall into both pro and anti Halo camps who you could call a certifiable dumbass. It's not so much their opinion as the lack of perspective and tolerance applied to it. Doesn't mean you should ban everyone automatically for having opinion X.
Being harsh does not mean something would not work. It's not even most people's "opinion"- it's a kneejerk trolling exercise for people who want to be one of the cool kids.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
I must admit, though I haven't played the Halo games so much, that Reach looks interesting.
If I can get my hands on a 360 soon, I'll most likely check it out. It looks very good actually.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I'm picking up my reserved copy today :D
only downside for me: I don't live in the US and therefore was out of the statues giveaway contest T_T

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I bought it for my little brother, and watching him play the first level, there was a part when the squad is ambushed by a squad of elites (in a cutscene). One of them over-powers your character, and pulls out a sword, ready to gut you - to which you grab the sword-wielding arm, and punch the sucker in the face. seeing the elite crawl/squirm away from you after this really enforced how bad-ass these guys are!

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

You're joking, right? You think Halo 3's story was more engaging than Reach?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I'l most probably pick this up on my birthday in December, seeing as i have no money at the moment and i'm waiting for my Fallout: New Vegas. :D

Definatly looks fun though, i never played Halo 3 which i pick up as i adored Halo 2 when i was younger, i just played it's campaign and splitscreen all the time.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Sounds fun! I will surely give the game a try... after 2-3 years when the price dare dips below $60.00

Sep 17, 2009
John Funk said:
Chamzaboogie said:

It was one of the things that I didn't like, actually. Not to say that it was bad by any stretch of the matter - Marty O'donnell is a great composer - but that it just didn't have a really memorable track for me until the very end.

BrunDeign said:
Yes. Traditionally, our reviews for all games focus on the singleplayer, since different players will have wholly different experiences online, but we'll have a multiplayer segment coming sometime soon from EIC Russ Pitts :)
Nice review!

Will there also be a forge review on the way?

I can't wait to get home from college to pick this up!

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
JIst00 said:
why should certain genres be exclusive to certain platforms?
besides shooters on consoles seem to be MUCH more popular than on the PC (just look at where the bulk of sales for a game lies... MW2 sales on 360 are the highest), and ive found that console shooters have a much more level playing field since EVERYONE is using the same console with the same specs no one has to worry about having lag.

so Halo being for the console was not a bad thing, and besides without Halo on the Xbox, we probably wouldnt HAVE xbox! then we also wouldnt have Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, the Fable series, the Halo series, none of the XBLA indie games, and Crackdown. Also, the PS3 and Wii would have no other competition, so Sony would have a stranglehold on the market and they'd be able to set their prices at whatever (since your only other option is a Wii which has less processing power than a PS2)

console shooters just balance the market, and besides, you got your Halo:CE for PC later anyways...

tbbrownah

Aug 30, 2009
I can't watch the video. godf***ingdammit.

Haven't played the game yet, waiting for it to be delivered to my house, buut looking forward to it, especially forge. I love me some forge :)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tbbrownah said:

Haven't played the game yet, waiting for it to be delivered to my house, buut looking forward to it, especially forge. I love me some forge :)
Distorted Stu said:
Stream is brokeneded--DED
It's working for me. What seems to be the issue?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
JIst00 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?

Fixed that for you. =P

Im gonna haft to disagree.
I LOVE the controller for the X-Box.
It fits so well in my hand, i know what button does what, and i don't need 4 separate buttons just to move left, right, foreword, ETC.
The mouse is great for aiming but, i can aim just as well with a Analogue Stick.

It really all comes down to personal preference.
And Right now playing Halo 2 on my Laptop, even with a mouse, is murder on my hands.

OT:Nice Review.
Iv looked foreword to this game for a long time.
i don't have an X-Box but i have friends that do.
I think its time i go and hang out with them for a while.

tbbrownah

Aug 30, 2009
John Funk said:
tbbrownah said:

Distorted Stu said:
Stream is brokeneded--DED
It's working for me. What seems to be the issue?
Nevahmind, it's working now. I guess it's just my computer.

Thanks for responding, John Funk! Great review!

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Playing it, loving it, looking forward to all (If any PLEASE!) DLC, and looking forward to the years this'll still be huge in the multiplayer scene (WAY better then any CoD).

Its a fantastic game, and especially with the polishing of Forge into something more playable and fun I can see years of map making with unique and awesome new maps. Good job Bungie, just wish you'd make more...

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

I didn't really see the plot holes, unless you mean, the inconsistencies when comparing the game to the book "Fall of Reach" in which case, that really pissed me off, but I have come to terms with it. The only plot holes I noticed within the canon of the games alone was that in the end, Keyes' hair wasn't grey enough, hardly shitstorm worthy. (though to be fair I haven't finished it yet, I am literally on the last objective of the game, but I had to leave for a 4 hour psychology class)

As for the enemies being less intimidating, I couldn't disagree more, on Legendary, the elites are scary as shit in a way Halo 3 could never achieve, the AI is vastly improved (for example, if you fire a charged plasma bolt at one from far away without locking on, they will see it and sidestep it, where in Halo 3 they would not react to it flying toward them) Near the end I saw 3 silver elites enter the hanger I was in, and I had a moment of pure "OH SHIT!" that I never had in Halo 3, those silver ones can take a spartan laser to the fact without even losing their shields on legendary.

Also, I liked the story, primarily not because of its content, but because of the way it was told, for example:

That one part with Kat I applaud wholeheartedly, I did NOT see that coming, but it was done in a way that seemed realistic and horrible, and reminded you that this shit is real, and you are NOT invincible.

Edit: Added spoiler tags. The game just came out! -Mod

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i would more likely consider to buy it if it was for pc, no offence though but atleast i wouldn't have to pay for xbox live

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo is mainstream, meaning it's surely just a redundant shooter with no redeeming qualities. I rate it 5/10 for doing the same thing every other FPS does, although I can't quite remember which ones so I'll leave them unmentioned. This game is far too mediocre for my hardcore artistic tastes so I might just rent it.

Anyways, I've got some great Indie titles to check out. And if there aren't any out, I'll just revisit the classic like Thief and Zelda because everyone knows that all the recent video games suck, I mourn for the death of video games.

Wah wah.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
This Game is officailly the greatest Game I ever played.
Ever.
I havent even finished yet.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Enlightening review, I think I shall rent Reach when I get the chance. Just a few thing that sound like quite an improvement:
*Better story (Not hard, I didn't like 2 or 3)
*Better characters (Pretty much facile)
*Better Scale and sense of a larger battle
*Recharging powers (Bubble shield)
*Tougher enemies who do not speak English (in a silly voice no less...)
*Old Halo 1 feel for weapons and health

Woodsey said:
To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.
That is a good point in general sense because that is average ha ha.
Although I haven't played Reach, I would be damn impressed if I gave it a 5/10... because I can't play the multiplayer as a silver. :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SteelStallion said:
Halo is mainstream, meaning it's surely just a redundant shooter with no redeeming qualities. I rate it 5/10 for doing the same thing every other FPS does, although I can't quite remember which ones so I'll leave them unmentioned. This game is far too mediocre for my hardcore artistic tastes so I might just rent it.

Anyways, I've got some great Indie titles to check out. And if there aren't any out, I'll just revisit the classic like Thief and Zelda because everyone knows that all the recent video games suck, I mourn for the death of video games.
I'm pretty sure that this comment is entirely facetious, but the sad part is that I honestly can't tell.

Reshkar

"Face to Face"
May 18, 2010
I was anticipated for Reach, the hype were incredible.. Have you seen the jet pack stunt in London :O

But I thought the campaign were a little short in my opinion. But what got myself into ordering Reach in the first place, were Forge Mode. You can literally put any kind of object in Forge. A little too much as I couldn't get more ideas to put in my world, or aren't happy off your result and always have to edit on it :/

In general I'll give Halo Reach a 7.5 / 10

EDIT: Oh, and firefight is awesome :D

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Hey guys, I'm noticing a lot of hate. I really like halo, it's one of my favorite videogame series. But some people don't like it. Why do we have to fight over this?

danpascooch said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.
Edit: Added spoiler tags. The game just came out! -Mod
Good save! That almost spoiled the game for me.

FuQ Halo

Aug 11, 2010
This game should have been called "Stretch". The entire franchise was shit, I'm sure there will be more Halos as they "Reach" for those last dollars still in the market.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
Lim3 said:
Oh and they haven't fixed the problem of simultaneous beat downs, if MW2 doesn't have simultaneous stab problems (that i have noticed anyway) why should Halo?
It's not a problem, it's a solution. It was absent on the outset of Halo 3 which is why it was patched later. It's a fix. See, without it, someone without host advantage would melee the host and despite having meleed first (from his perspective) he will lose during a "simultaneous" melee. This way, those of us who aren't lucky enough to get host advantage can trade kills instead of "losing" in close quarters.

Also, Bungie explained that in the old melee system of Halo 3, whoever won during a "simultaneous" melee exchange meant the difference of one stray Assault Rifle bullet. Combine that with the invisible health meter that regenerated at a slower rate than your shields and you get the recipe for seemly random outcomes.

I would much rather trade kills when I see myself melee first than lose.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
John Funk said:

Read Full Article
I am very excited to play this tonight, thank you for this glimpse John!

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
It fits so well in my hand, i know what button does what, and i don't need 4 separate buttons just to move left, right, foreword, ETC.
The mouse is great for aiming but, i can aim just as well with a Analogue Stick.

And Right now playing Halo 2 on my Laptop, even with a mouse, is murder on my hands.
Agreed, I didn't make that clear =)
Azaraxzealot said:
why should certain genres be exclusive to certain platforms?
besides shooters on consoles seem to be MUCH more popular than on the PC (just look at where the bulk of sales for a game lies... MW2 sales on 360 are the highest), and ive found that console shooters have a much more level playing field since EVERYONE is using the same console with the same specs no one has to worry about having lag.

so Halo being for the console was not a bad thing, and besides without Halo on the Xbox, we probably wouldnt HAVE xbox! then we also wouldnt have Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, the Fable series, the Halo series, none of the XBLA indie games, and Crackdown. Also, the PS3 and Wii would have no other competition, so Sony would have a stranglehold on the market and they'd be able to set their prices at whatever (since your only other option is a Wii which has less processing power than a PS2)

console shooters just balance the market, and besides, you got your Halo:CE for PC later anyways...
All I can really say to those comments is I guess it comes down to what your used to and grew up on. To me the only way to play an FPS is with a mouse and keyboard, when using a pad it feels like being stuck in jelly.

And yes Halo eventually made it to the PC some where down the line, and I've been playing it this afternoon =)

I have no doubt that MW2 sold more on the 360 than a PC, as I think there are more people who own consoles than those who use their PC's for gaming. There are probably more PC's than consoles in the home's of people, but not everyone uses them for gaming, and a lot of people who have a PC tend to also have a console as well. I think the MW2 example was perhaps a bad one to use IMO, as the PC gamers were not as enthusiastic to play it on PC without dedicated servers, which tend to be the norm. That, and as more people got the 360 version, more PC users maybe followed suit to be able to play with their friends online.

Either way, I was not saying that genre's should have to be platform specific, I just think they perform better on certain platforms. For example, Beat-Em Ups and Sports games like FIFA 100932525 and Madden etc are better suited to a console, while I think RTS's and FPS's for example are better with a keyboard and mouse set up. Oh, and obviously, games like pokemon on a handheld as opposed to a PC =P

Traditionally I was a console gamer till the MegaDrive died, then moved to PC, which I gamed on up untill the Gamecube (aside from Pokemon), at which point I moved back to consoles as well.

At the moment I have a PC, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox 360 all wired up in my front room, and all get uses, although the PS2 not so much, was never a fan of it and only have it to play FFX

Obviously, I had not made clear that this was an opinion, and not a demand that genre's be made platform specific =P

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
JIst00 said:
Gigaguy64 said:

Agreed, I didn't make that clear =)
Lol, that's ok.
It happens from time to time.
But i do really enjoy the PC for games like RTSs.
The mouse and hotkeying Actions make it much easier than trying to play on a Handheld.
:3
Im just gonna haft to practice my FPS skills on the PC before i move onto HL2.
Iv never played it but i really really want to, i hear that its fun but very difficult.

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
I'll always find it funny that an army of Spartans couldn't hold one planet, yet one (the Chief) could take care of so many overwhelming odds missions in Halo's one to three.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
PixelJunk said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?
Not harsh at all. To actually pay full price for something that's already been done "and better I might add" is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I love Bungie. Have many fond memories of the Marathon trilogy, Pathways Into Darkness, Myth, but that was a long time ago. Somewhere along the way Bungie lost what it meant to be an independent innovator. To celebrate that in anyway only shows what's wrong with the industry. So to the Halo series good riddance. Now maybe Bungie can get their act together.

*edit*

Bring on the hate.
Really, You went back and edited your post for the purposes of GETTING attention? Well mission accomplished, someone replied too your post. Your purpose in life is complete.

OT: Iv never really been on the Halo Bandwagon. the first Halo game I played was two, And that was online with a Friend where my ass was introduced to the energy sword. As for the story, I put it together when I could, but I really think playing the first game "First" would be beneficial. All in all, Very well written and voiced review.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I never played any of the Halos aside from the odd multiplayer every now and again, but I have to respect Bungie for making the epic series. The Halo franchise may have created some of the worst hated trends in FPSs (regenerating health, 2 weapon pickup, generic soldier, generic story (supposedly)), I or anyone else cannot deny, or should not deny, the impact that the Halo franchise has done to the gaming industry, and possibly the world.

Congradulations Bungie, don't let Activision suck your soul.

Goodnight, and good luck.

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Honestly I haven't done much of the story yet, but I intend to. As far as the online multiplayer goes, they've definatley improved it. The armour abilities, and new weapons/vehicles make it interesting and varied, but not unbalanced, something MW2 failed miserably at. The new playlists too, are alot of fun. And one of my favourite things about the multiplayer is how you actually vote on a selection of game modes.

I'd give it a 9/10 based on that alone. I'll probably change that score after the campaign though.

Spy Killer

Feb 4, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
BloodSquirrel said:

He was saying that in response to all the dumbass trolls who are attracted to bashing Halo.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
For me personally I found Red vs Blue's storyline more interesting than Halo's.

Also why do female characters in the Halo series always have INCREDIBLY frustrating voices?

Also another thing I hated about the series is how you never got to play as an elite fighting against numerous humans. You're always playing as the annoying, military jargon spitting, bad pun yelling marines and playing as the boring Master Chief who has for me no likable aspects. Boring armour, dull voice, dry humour. I don't understand why everyone loves him so much, especially since whenever I've asked someone they never give a reason as to why they like him.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
chozo_hybrid said:
I'll always find it funny that an army of Spartans couldn't hold one planet, yet one (the Chief) could take care of so many overwhelming odds missions in Halo's one to three.
Only one of Noble Team is a Spartan II like the Chief was. The rest are cheaper and less well equipped and trained. (How Noble Six ends up being the second "hyper lethal" Spartan, after the MC, is somewhat beyond me.)

The Covenant have brought overwhelming force to bear against Reach-- certainly far more than the Chief faces on Halo in the first game, more than he faces in Halo 2, at least up until the arrival of the Covenant fleet overhead halfway through the game-- and more than the single Covenant cruiser that attacks Earth in the opening of Halo 2.

Where the forces present are larger, the Chief faces only a portion of them-- only those that board Cairo station in Halo 2. Only those that attack Crow's Nest in Halo 3. Where the enemies are not limited, they are spread out-- the surfaces of the Ark and each Halo installation are larger than a single planet.

The Covenant objective is also different-- they're going to "glass" Reach by burning it, something that can't ultimately be prevented by ground forces. The novels make a point of demonstrating how engagements in space nearly always went to the Covenant, even when Spartan units on the ground were able to keep UNSC forces more even on the ground.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Jumplion said:
I never played any of the Halos aside from the odd multiplayer every now and again, but I have to respect Bungie for making the epic series. The Halo franchise may have created some of the worst hated trends in FPSs (regenerating health, 2 weapon pickup, generic soldier, generic story (supposedly)), I or anyone else cannot deny, or should not deny, the impact that the Halo franchise has done to the gaming industry, and possibly the world.

Congradulations Bungie, don't let Activision suck your soul.

Goodnight, and good luck.
Bungie created the generic soldier and the generic story?

Wouldn't that make them the original, and everyone else the generic ripoff?

In the Halo series, three games have health packs: Halo 1, Halo 3: ODST and now Halo: Reach.

Two games have only regenerating shields, but lack a way to recharge health: Halo 2 and Halo 3.

The two weapon pickup may be a trend you hate, but I don't. Forcing the player to make tough choices and change tactics makes for a more challenging and more interesting experience.

EvilDemon

Apr 2, 2010
The story, plot and characters in Reach are just dull, there not engaging at all. Theres no reason to care for the characters and their personalities/traits are only shown at their most basic level. Pretty disappointing as ive found Halo 1-3 to be great on all these points and its a shame they couldnt have got it right this time around and made a perfect game.

That being said the gameplay is fantastic, its good to be a Spartan again unlike in ODST. The action set pieces are great, could have been better but still fun. Killing covenant is a blast as usual and no more pesky flood yay :D
Obviously multiplayer is a blast, Forge, Firefight and Versus aswell as Co-op

Why Bungie decided to not have 4 player splitscreen on Firefight dumbfounds me, i dont want to play online against 12 year old idiots, id rather have my friends on the couch next to me and its annoying that we cant firefight.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
*Gets behind Flame shield*

I rally cant wait to get Halo: Reach. It just looks awesome, as was Halo 1, 2 and 3.
(Yet to play ODST)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I just played it, awsome, really enjoyable and incredibly pretty and its already beaten killzone (the inferior wanabee series) to the whole jetpack shennanigans, (plus it looks better and certainly plays much better than killzone 2).
The only FPS i'm looking forward to now is resistance 3.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Spy Killer said:
fix-the-spade said:
BloodSquirrel said:

He was saying that in response to all the dumbass trolls who are attracted to bashing Halo.
Any time anyone, anywhere, pops up to point out that Halo is just an average FPS that does things we've already seen, there are a bunch of people who start yelling "troll."

It has gotten to the point where most people don't even bother justifying the position. No matter what we say, Halo is apparently the only decent FPS that has been produced in the history of gaming, and saying anything bad about it is tantamount to burning orphans alive after feeding them ground-up kittens.

In closing: Halo is Average. A-V-E-R-A-G-E. It isn't terrible, it isn't bad, it isn't the GREATEST GAME EVER TO EXIST OH GOD I NEED NEW PANTS JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. It is *AVERAGE*. If you can't handle that, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you can't deal with the fact that you're playing an average game and enjoying it, perhaps you need a psychiatrist.

saxa

Nov 19, 2009
Uhm sorry to bother chaps, but t'seems my stream was misplaced.

Can you Help me find it?

"200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/ea7ae37a7a46a0c28e8f8ce7cf27f956/mp4/escapist/reviews/9b414ba9182c2f0bbe9e39309b700b8e.mp4''"

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Yeah, I'd love to watch the supplement, but it doesn't seem to be working. Wee!~ Now I get to watch Slim Jim and LotRO ads over and over!

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
In closing: Halo is Average. A-V-E-R-A-G-E. It isn't terrible, it isn't bad, it isn't the GREATEST GAME EVER TO EXIST OH GOD I NEED NEW PANTS JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. It is *AVERAGE*. If you can't handle that, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you can't deal with the fact that you're playing an average game and enjoying it, perhaps you need a psychiatrist.
See, this here? Where you treat your opinion as fact and say that anyone who doesn't share it needs a psychiatrist?

That's trolling. You're a troll.

protogenxl

Mar 5, 2008
In the beginning Nobel 1 says "This is a Team none of that Solo Stuff" these are words to ignore.

I remember in previous Halo games when there was more than one hog in a group of AI they would fill my hog then the rest would pile into the remaining hog a follow closely and shoot at things. In reach you are lucky if you can get AI to load into your own vehicle never mind a second. Most of the time they will stand there like posts even when holding the horn down. When they do try to follow they will crash, They will drive backwards the whole way, They Won't shoot at any thing, or a situation will happen that I have encountered few times They will drive forwards, then backwards, then forwards again, Like a Heavily Armed Pendulum!

If you are paired with a Nobel team member it is just as bad. say you flip the warthog 2 out of 3 times the Nobel member will not get back into the hog they will stand there stiff you can run them down, melee, shoot them with the hogs turret till it over heats they won't move. Then when you hit the checkpoint the missing Nobel team member will magically appear and proceed to take on a wraith with an assault rifle while you frantically try to get them to get in the hog by parking between them and the wraith. The best thing about Nobel Team members is normally they can't die so they are great for drawing fire.

The AI in Left 4 Dead 2 is the best I have every played with, Resident Evil 5's AI partner was manageable, With Reach raising the friendly AI to the level of Michael J. Caboose (Team Killing Tendencies included) would be a massive improvement!

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
Chamzaboogie said:

The music is the clear best in the series. Have fun with that.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
When does Master Chief ever hold an entire planet by himself?

In Halo 1-3 he's just the guy who can fight his way to the most important places at the most important times.

Dimbo_Sama

Mar 20, 2009
'If you've ever liked a Halo game before, Reach is for you. If you like FPS games in general, Reach may still actually be for you - and is absolutely worth a rental.'

This doesn't sell the game for me, I mean seriously? 'may still actually be for you'? That doesn't fill me with confidence. Yes Halo is a good game, but it was good when I played it 10 years ago and they barely changed anything. Rent first then buy I think.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Agayek said:
I agree. Every game should have a jetpack in it.

Also, good review. Now if only UPS would get its act together I may be able to find out what all the fuss is about.
Agreed. My copy has been "sent with courier" for the past ~32 hours.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dimbo_Sama said:
'If you've ever liked a Halo game before, Reach is for you. If you like FPS games in general, Reach may still actually be for you - and is absolutely worth a rental.'

This doesn't sell the game for me, I mean seriously? 'may still actually be for you'? That doesn't fill me with confidence. Yes Halo is a good game, but it was good when I played it 10 years ago and they barely changed anything. Rent first then buy I think.
I can see how that came off as waffling, when it really shouldn't have. I think Reach is a superbly made game that you'll probably like if you like shooters at all.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
:/ 6/10.
Jetpacks got old fast, and i dont like half the game modes.
Customization is almost pointless because everyone ends up looking like a recolored version of eachother, and the "upgrades" do nothing for you.

I like the new fire fight mode over the ODST one. The multiplayer feels lacking.
In slayer "pro" you have to choice of weapons. The battle rifle (("DMR")) kills in 3 less shots. why would you pick the other?

The assassinations are nice and take moderate skill to accually pull off, but grenade spam is still a massive problem that just ruins some of the smaller levels.

Story mode is so far the best part of the game for me, and im not even through the 3rd level. :/ that says something about the multiplayer.

Im tempted to give it a 5/10, but a 6/10 feels better. Really the most fun i had was the comical descriptions of things and the unlockable voices.

All in all, im glad i didnt buy Reach. I rented it. I might rent it once or twice more. Maybe install it on my hard-drive and wait until someone sells me a f*cked up disc for 7 bucks.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
John Funk said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

...there was a scorpion tank mission. Did you miss that entirely in the return to Sword Base?

To each their own. I found it WAY better than 2 and 3. I *liked* the subdued feel of things; it made it feel more personal. You have better things to do than engage the Scarabs in that one level - it's like how you don't fight any of the Covenant while you're running away in the warthog in the finales of Halo 1/3.
Yes, he did miss it. I guess he wanted to be in the Tank for the whole darn mission, but no tank level has ever been that way. I think he was just making a controversial statement for attention. After all, bashing Halo is instant cool points with a lot of Escapist reviewers (Movie Bob and Yahtzee specifically).

Like you said in your review, Halo: Reach is good not for what it's about, but the way it is about it. Sure, the tale of a doomed squad fighting a losing battle has been told countless times before, but it doesn't diminish an effective version of the story.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
John Funk said:
I found it WAY better than 2 and 3. I *liked* the subdued feel of things; it made it feel more personal. You have better things to do than engage the Scarabs in that one level - it's like how you don't fight any of the Covenant while you're running away in the warthog in the finales of Halo 1/3.
I agree totally. Although Reach wasn't extremely engaging it told a decent story and let you play a game that was essentially Bungie's ego on steroids. But surprisingly enough it works. It may as well be called 'Halo: The Best Times", as it doesn't contain particularly annoying sections that tend to be in many games, just mostly the greatest parts of the Halo series.

All I can say is: Goodonya Bungie, you gave the Halo series one hell of a Legacy.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Great review!

Honestly, respect @ Bungie for stopping their franchise before it get's out of hand. Also, it sounds like a pretty sweet game, especialy since you know the outcome, but still have to get there...

Also, is there ever a game featuring a squad of soldiers where you're NOT the new guy?

[sub]please, no examples, retorical question...[/sub]

Jul 9, 2010
Potential spoilers

I just got it today and played for a couple of hours or so, I'm really digging it. I managed to avoid all the trailers etc. until I saw them on TV a few days ago and finally reserved a copy. I'm glad I did, the slow start was interesting and the way it was going I had been expecting a human-on-human battle. Playing on Heroic I've been finding it much more challenging than Halo 3, particularly the first encounter with the white armoured Elites. One of the highlights so far was the cinematic after the team lock themselves into the Outpost and get ambushed by sword Elites, it was just great, from the Elites jumping down and then its right up in your face roaring and trying to stab you and make a quick exit out of the room with a hostage.
It's nice to see the dropships from combat Evolved back too. I wondered why they took them out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Narcogen said:
Bungie created the generic soldier and the generic story?

Wouldn't that make them the original, and everyone else the generic ripoff?

In the Halo series, three games have health packs: Halo 1, Halo 3: ODST and now Halo: Reach.

Two games have only regenerating shields, but lack a way to recharge health: Halo 2 and Halo 3.

The two weapon pickup may be a trend you hate, but I don't. Forcing the player to make tough choices and change tactics makes for a more challenging and more interesting experience.
I was speaking in general terms, not in personal terms. Maybe "hated" was the wrong word, but there were definitely more "Generic (Space) Soldiers" before Halo. Halo just made them really, really popular.

And you know what I mean with regenerating health, Halo 1 had it close enough.

I'm not hating on Bungie, again, I'm applauding them for making such an impactful franchise. After Halo, nearly every FPS game was (and still is) sought out for the position of the "Halo Killer". So the easiest way to do that was to just be Halo.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
thrusters would burn through the energy shields...

I wont be using them any time in the future because they feel like a dues ex machina for fun multiplayer gaming, also i don't have a 360 or plan to get one.

Looks like a sick game though

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
After playing this at my friends house last night I can tell you that if I finally buy a 360, this will be the game that brought me to it.. Still doesn't seem likely as I have friends in walking distance that are easy to leach game time off of, but who knows, might be adding an Xbox Live account to my profile.

Mr. Sparzy

Aug 28, 2010
PixelJunk said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
that maybe a lot harsh?

*edit*

Bring on the hate.
It's not Bungie's fault for being unoriginal. Microsoft bought them out, had them make Halo for Xbox, forced them to make Halo games by a deadline (which is why Halo 2 and 3 sucked because Bungie had to rush them). And when Bungie asked to work on another video game series, Microsoft disapproved and had them continue work on their "golden child".

You can't blame Bungie, it's Microsoft's fault. Microsoft fault for rushing Halo and not having it lie up it's expectations. Microsofts fault that they took the best Macintosh Video Game company in history away for Apple fans. And Microsoft's fault for getting Bungie stuck in this Halo trend. The only reason I bought the Xbox 360 was for Halo. Granted there are games I like that I have on the Xbox 360 such as Fallout 3, Republic Commando, Star Wars: Battlefront II, Left 4 Dead, Castle Crashers and the Orange Box, but nether the less, I could still just get all those games on the PS3 (or Mac).

So, Microsoft made the smart decision in buying out Bungie for Halo so people can buy there product, but they made the dumb decision to put there greedy hands and rush the damn thing to ruin it for everyone.

*sigh* :(

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Just finished the campaign.

Bungie obviously put a ton of effort into the game. The level design is easily the best I've ever seen in a shooter. It really makes you feel like you're moving around in an open world instead of down a corridor. Like you're fighting a battle, not just proceeding through a level. There's an incredible amount of detail all around, and it really makes the areas you're fighting in come alive.

The story isn't very strong from a narrative standpoint, but it does a good job of setting the mood, and has a few really somber moments.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I thought I was gonna have an issue with the lack of super gigantic epic scale battles...but nah
as I played through the first level, I was tense. I mean, familiar everything...but something was different
warmed up as I made my way through but at the end...man that was fun. no trudging through a 'swamp' level where you just wanna get it over with
length might be my only gripe, it's on the short side...but I'll have to see if that's a problem on Legendary...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
So...anyone who has a differing opinion on a game than you is a troll? God forbid anybody think something isn't as good as you do. I mean, why bash the clear highest point and hallmark of all gaming culture? There is no better game. The perfect game shouldn't have detractors. Ever.

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
chozo_hybrid said:

In Halo 1-3 he's just the guy who can fight his way to the most important places at the most important times.
I never said he held a planet, I'm just saying, these guys are supposedly the same deal right? Yet only one makes it out of this whole thing and accomplishes more then any.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Lim3 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
I wrote a one sentence statement to get in for first place...
You should be put on probation for that like the people who do it for Zero Punctuation videos, anyway I?ve reported you. In regards to halo, I haven't played reach yet but I?m not really a fan of the series so probably won't bother.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
John Funk said:
Chamzaboogie said:

BrunDeign said:
The music in Halo: Reach seemed almost like a remix of the music from the other Halo games. I agree with you that the music did not seem as epic like it did in the other Halo games. For me I thought ODST had the best soundtrack out of all of them.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
John Funk said:
Chamzaboogie said:

BrunDeign said:
I believe Sir.Funk just broke the space time continuum.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
So...anyone who has a differing opinion on a game than you is a troll? God forbid anybody think something isn't as good as you do. I mean, why bash the clear highest point and hallmark of all gaming culture? There is no better game. The perfect game shouldn't have detractors. Ever.
The above comment demonstrates the disturbing tend of people not even being able to tell the difference between "a differeing opinion" and "trolling" anymore. If you consider comments like the one a mere two posts above yours "a differeing opinion", then it's time you get off the internet and seek out some more normal social interaction because your perspective has been seriously warped.

chozo_hybrid said:
I never said he held a planet, I'm just saying, these guys are supposedly the same deal right? Yet only one makes it out of this whole thing and accomplishes more then any.
Well, first off, only one of them is a Spartan II. The rest are Spartan IIIs, the not-as-good, mass produced version.

Second off- the battle for Reach is a doomed effort. By the end, the planet has been overrun. I don't want to put spoilers here so I won't be specific, but the Spartans are basically sacrificing themselves to give more people time to get off the planet. They could have gotten off, if they had wanted to, but they stayed behind to fight instead.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Damnit, now I've got to buy this game. I like the series, but I tried to move onto other things and I was trying my hardest not to get hyped up about "Reach". But this review has gone and ruined it, now I'm all hyped again and I've got to go out and buy it. Thanks a lot John, I hope a puppy licks your face and you get snuggled by an extremely adorable kitten.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
I perosnly loved it in every way (so far).
Haven't beat the whole game yet so don't spoil anything yet.
Found that god mode on firefight was extremely fun and that the campaign is actually a bit awesome indeed. The way you can unlock items in the armory without haveing to play multiplayer and how you can change the looks of the main character is pretty neat. 8.5/10

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I'd probably check this out if it came out on pc, but it doesn't look enough to make me buy an xbox.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
The above comment demonstrates the disturbing tend of people not even being able to tell the difference between "a differeing opinion" and "trolling" anymore. If you consider comments like the one a mere two posts above yours "a differeing opinion", then it's time you get off the internet and seek out some more normal social interaction because your perspective has been seriously warped.
\

I'm not talking about what they're saying. I'm talking about what you said. You said anyone bashing Halo should be banned. So every single person who has something negative to say about it is a troll in your eyes? You're the one with the warped view sir, if you think every single opinion that isn't yours is trolling, which is what your first post implied if you re-read it.

OT: Reach is pretty fun. Just more riprolling FPS action. If you liked other Halo games, you'll like this. If not, stay the course on not playing them, this one won't change your perspective.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
I'm not talking about what they're saying. I'm talking about what you said.
Well, see, that's going to be a problem, because what they're saying was the topic of conversation. If they *weren't* trolling, I wouldn't have made the comment in the first place. There's really no way to proceed in any coherent or logical manner if you're going to ignore the actual subject matter of my comment.

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
DTWolfwood said:

Games a very refined Halo game. Id say its the best out there since its got EVERYTHING from ALL the previous 4 Halo games. Well at this point it better right? XD
Actually, with Reach being humanity's main weapon manufacturing centre, you could probably justify it. Of course, that doesn't explain the change in Covenant weaponry.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed the campaign. While I've always liked the Halo games, the campaign for 2 and 3 left me feeling a bit disappointed. I liked ODST's better and now Reach has surpassed that. I think the lack of Flood really helped since I always preferred taking on the Covenant instead.

I may be in the minority on this but I think Kat's death was one of the two highpoints of the whole story. It comes out of nowhere and was just such a pointless death. Here was a woman who did not let losing an arm keep her off the battlefield and to be taken down by a potshot from a passing sniper was just...jarring. It really brought home the idea that even Spartans aren't safe and you will not make it off of Reach alive.

The after credits epilogue is the other moment that comes to mind. Just one objective and it is impossible. The loneliness is palpable after being surrounded by other Noble Team members for almost the entirety of the campaign. First your visor cracks, obscuring your vision and damaging your HUD. Then you fall, a dead Spartan on a doomed planet. But only after you complete your mission. Bungie could not have ended it any better than that.

mikepyro

Sep 17, 2010
I'll be honest. I've never cared for halo. It's stories are terrible, I find the level design unbelievably mediocre with huge ammounts of backtracking to fill out a 6 hour campaign? It is a multip game. I don't do online so it is useless to me. If a game can't stand alone on sp then it isn't a true game to me.

HOWEVER, I did enjoy ODST's more subtle nature and the great cast. Reach peaked my interest so I rented it from Blockbuster. 7 missions in now to the campaign. And, blow me down, it's a very solid game. Bungie did a pretty damn good job. The new cinematic camera, likeable characters (Junge, Kat, Carter, the other 2 squad members are cliches through and through) are a great suprise. Hell, Noble 6 is cooler than master chief ever was, because he has a real personality, even though he rarely speaks still. Junge is a great character, def the best Bungie has ever created.

The campaign is varied, missions fun and lasting. That said, it in no way deserves a perfect score. The space combat was ok I guess, but for all the hype was a huge letdown. also, suffering the same problem as every other halo game, it doesn't feel like a true WAR is going on. You are never involved in massive, harsh battles, they all seem like skirmishes if that. At least MW captures the feeling of true horror and shock in battle. Tip of the Spear level promised that, I couldn't wait to ride into battle with a swarm of warthogs, but it's confined to a 2 min cutscene with 30 sec of action, wtf is that? How can a game that costs so much still fail to create an epic level of battle? ODST I can forgive because it takes place after the carnage, but if you are supposed to be in the middle of a last stand of humanity, it doesn't feel epic enough. BUT there are truly incredible moments, and damn are the cutscenes cool.

i love that they added wildlife and some civilians, even though they still feel like addons rather than being fleshed out. Still, there is some great design, and very intense missions.

There are some issues, but Halo Reach's multi is amazing I hear as always, but for maybe the first true time I believe Halo has lived up to its namesake. this is what halo always could have been for me. too bad it's over after 8 hours... :(

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 (based on campaign) maybe even a 9 once I coop with my buds. :D

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I'm probably only about halfway through but so far I'm preferring the atmosphere (though not the story) of ODST. The story for Reach is a bit hard to follow. Could use some more exposition.

Kermi

Nov 7, 2007
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

(snipped for brevity)
I don't disagree with anything you write here, but I took a peek at your achievements for Reach and note you finished the campaign on Normal. Normal co-op is the wrong way to play Reach - I learned this first hand. We blitzed everything, raced through the campaign and didn't absorb anything. It felt rushed, and thin, and generally a let down in the wrong way. Ultimately I accept this was my fault, as a Halo veteran who took the too-easy option or Normal co-op my first time through.

I urge you, do yourself a favour and play it on Heroic. You'll take your time, and the impact of the story and set pieces will sink in more. I know this seems ridiculous, but simply making the game more difficult really changes the way you'll look at the game. It's still the same game, and maybe it doesn't feel as "epic" as Halo 1 or 3. You still race past the Scarabs instead of fighting them, there's no extra mission where all the "make game better" switches are flipped... but the game is supposed to feel like a desperate struggle and if you're not feeling it, take my advice and give it another try.

That eighth mission where you island-hop for half an hour means a lot more to you when you're sailing towards an objective with your engines on fire, Banshees closing in fast and a thousand square smiles of the planet get glassed in the distance while you watch.

Kermi

Nov 7, 2007
chozo_hybrid said:
BloodSquirrel said:
chozo_hybrid said:

What it boils down to is luck - something Cortana highlights herself in the opening sequence of Halo 3.

During the events of Reach, humanity is losing badly. Reach is overwhelmed. The only think saving them from complete annihilation is the fact that the Covenant don't know where Earth is yet. The Reach campaign sets up the basis for the games that are to come, in which humanity finds the Forerunner tech, the Halo rings, and this is ultimately what turns the tide in their favour. They were on the brink of extinction. The Chief won not only through a matter of happenstance wherein he was in the right place at the right time, but because generally things started going well for the humans as a whole. They got in a few lucky punches against the Covenant and gained the upper hand while the prophets were distracted with the Halo rings.

I'd say any of the members of Noble Team would have fared as well as the Chief if they had his good fortune - unfortunately they were stuck on a planet being turned to glass with pretty much the entire Covvie armada circling overhead.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
It must suck to review exclusive titles.

If you're positive, you're stated as a fanboy and that you're being paid off. If you're negative, it means that you're obviously being paid off by the other side or you don't like it because it's on one particular console. And if you say it's average, you get hate from both sides.

I love the Halo series, incredible amounts of fun. About half way through Reach atm, will start playing again in a bit.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Kermi said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

(snipped for brevity)
I don't disagree with anything you write here, but I took a peek at your achievements for Reach and note you finished the campaign on Normal. Normal co-op is the wrong way to play Reach - I learned this first hand. We blitzed everything, raced through the campaign and didn't absorb anything. It felt rushed, and thin, and generally a let down in the wrong way. Ultimately I accept this was my fault, as a Halo veteran who took the too-easy option or Normal co-op my first time through.

I urge you, do yourself a favour and play it on Heroic. You'll take your time, and the impact of the story and set pieces will sink in more. I know this seems ridiculous, but simply making the game more difficult really changes the way you'll look at the game. It's still the same game, and maybe it doesn't feel as "epic" as Halo 1 or 3. You still race past the Scarabs instead of fighting them, there's no extra mission where all the "make game better" switches are flipped... but the game is supposed to feel like a desperate struggle and if you're not feeling it, take my advice and give it another try.

That eighth mission where you island-hop for half an hour means a lot more to you when you're sailing towards an objective with your engines on fire, Banshees closing in fast and a thousand square smiles of the planet get glassed in the distance while you watch.
Hey, you're right, i rushed through the campaign on normal. I finished ODST, Halo 3 and Halo 2 or legendary, and i plan to do it on Reach.

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
Well after being disappointed by 3 and ODST this does seem like a straight improvement in every way possible catered especially to me.

-I hated Dual Wielding
-I hated not having health
-I hated the really bad equipment dynamics in Halo 3

Also the Tuning Forks are back. And that's all that matters.

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
Question--weren't the Spartan 3's weaker than the other Spartans? Like, the Spartan 2 had harder selections (kids chosen for genetic and biological prowess across the galaxy), were trained from childhood, had better armor, and better enhancements (due to having them done young), no?

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Amazing Game. Amazing story. I finished the game several days ago and as a fan of all the books I loved the little details included in the game.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who got tingles at the ending. The last level is also haunting and did something that most games can't do.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Never really was a halo fan, but I got to say that reach is pretty fun, its nothing special or mindblowing, but its fun. Very well done Bungie.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I liked the game but some of the story was a bit hard to follow. Also ODST had better music and was more atmospheric. All in all an okay game tho.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DTWolfwood said:
Lowtech? What's missing? the equipment and some of the guns? It's pretty much the same for the most part. Not like the star wars preqeusl. . .

It's too bad the game didn't include any of those quad walkers from Halo Wars, the smaller-scarabs. Would've liked to see some of those in the FPS game.

DamonO07

Mar 15, 2010
I agree, REACH is a great game. hell it's gotten perfect 10s.

I'm really glad with the way things turned out.

...Now let's see what Yahtzee thinks

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
De Ronneman said:
Great review!

Honestly, respect @ Bungie for stopping their franchise before it get's out of hand. Also, it sounds like a pretty sweet game, especialy since you know the outcome, but still have to get there...

Also, is there ever a game featuring a squad of soldiers where you're NOT the new guy?

Marcus Fenix, from Gears of War, my good man. While you're the new member of Delta Squad, you're actually the biggest veteran on your entire team. In fact, I think Hoffman and Dom are the only guys who can boast Marcus' experience.

Getting back on topic, good review, Mr. Funk. I myself am loving the Hell out of the game. Jet Packs are my favorite armor power, but more-so, the assassination animations are the most satisfying things I've ever seen in a game...especially the one while you're on your Jet Pack...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Lim3 said:
Wht where the ploy holes?, Im just intrested to know.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
danpascooch said:
Also, I liked the story, primarily not because of its content, but because of the way it was told, for example:

That one part with Kat I applaud wholeheartedly, I did NOT see that coming, but it was done in a way that seemed realistic and horrible, and reminded you that this shit is real, and you are NOT invincible.
I wholehartedly agree, I was like D: for 5 minuites after that.
and
when Jorge died (I'm hoping he was teleported to a hospitable planet and gets a spin off :D

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
danpascooch said:

I wholehartedly agree, I was like D: for 5 minuites after that.
and
when Jorge died (I'm hoping he was teleported to a hospitable planet and gets a spin off :D
same here

Emile's death was too awesome for me to feel sad, i was just like " i hope that's how go out"

rip Emile, badass to the end

cking636

Aug 5, 2010
Compared to Halo 3 in terms of story, the game is phenomenal with a few exceptions. There are tons of plot holes ranging from the very small to the very large. The battles in the campaign are really only fun in single player, which is different from H3. Admittedly, Halo 3 didn't even have much of a story, so the improvement is granted.

In multiplayer, however, the game seemed lackluster compared to H3. The maps are few and kind of repetitive. That's a huge problem from a game that basically sells itself as a multiplayer game. For mutliplayer, H3 is WAY better. For the campaign, I have to give Bungie points for at least trying, which is better than H3.

cking636

Aug 5, 2010
If I'm remembering right, Chief was the next batch of Spartans. New and improved and with better tech. However, you bring up a good point.

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
I played through it last night. It was impressing in a few ways, but disappointing in more, imho.
I'm glad the elites are actually a bit more scary.
I'm glad the scenery is now more open and landscape-ish.
I'm glad THERE'S A JETPACK.

But none of that can balance out the fact that they shoulda thought of all that stuff by Halo 3 and that it still feels like all the same band halo.

But firefight was fun. I'll give it that.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I've tried to play through Halo 1 a few times, but I always got annoyed and gave up somewhere around the first mission where you're on the alien spaceship.

I've only played a bit of the beginning of Halo 2, but what I did play felt pretty much the same as Halo 1.

I did play all the way through Halo 3. It seems like they resolved the issues which turned me off the first two games, and I loved all the jaw-dropping epic stuff that was happening through the campaign. Though on a recent play of it, I did notice that the graphics and the presentation were a little lacking for the 360. Like it was caught somewhere between the last generation and this one.

I just finished the Halo: Reach campaign yesterday, and I would say that the Halo games have just gotten better and better as they go. Gameplay-wise it's on par with Halo 3 but where it excels is in the presentation. The sound design is much better than in Halo 3 - all the sound effects have a real kick to 'em and the music is more emotionally engaging. The aliens are actually talking in an alien language, and the little guys aren't an immersion-breaking comic relief thing any more (well, they still do look a little silly running around with their arms waving, but at least their voices sound suitably alien this time around). And the graphics are all really solid - even the human faces look about as natural as is possible on the 360.

I ended up getting really gripped by the campaign, really feeling like it was a desperate and hopeless battle against an overwhelming enemy force. The overall tone of the game was much different from the other games. Almost like Call of Duty: Future Warfare or something.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Akalabeth said:
DTWolfwood said:
Lowtech? What's missing? the equipment and some of the guns? It's pretty much the same for the most part. Not like the star wars preqeusl. . .

It's too bad the game didn't include any of those quad walkers from Halo Wars, the smaller-scarabs. Would've liked to see some of those in the FPS game.
the Hammer of Dawn wannabe, laser sniper rifle, semi-auto combat rifle, sticky plasma grenade launcher, armor upgrades, well armored Grunts, bigger badder needler... to name a few of the "improvements" that wasn't around AFTER reach. XD

What kind of a future is this that the Military didn't backup any of the advance prototypes they had!

But the game is great from what i hear so at the least the Franchise went out with a bang :D

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DTWolfwood said:

the Hammer of Dawn wannabe, laser sniper rifle, semi-auto combat rifle, sticky plasma grenade launcher, armor upgrades, well armored Grunts, bigger badder needler... to name a few of the "improvements" that wasn't around AFTER reach. XD

What kind of a future is this that the Military didn't backup any of the advance prototypes they had!
Well the alien laser rifle and the DMR are both inferior to the following weapons in my opinion. The Covenant don't even use the laser rifle effectively. The big needler is just a Carbine replacement with a lower rate of fire. As for the armour, one can just say that Master Chief's suit was incompatible with them and/or all prototypes were subsequently lost on Reach.

I know what you're saying, but it's not that glaring. There are a lot of new weapons, but I'm not sure that they're all necessarily better.

Don't consider things black and white anyway. You can't really do a straight comparison. Instead, look at the game's inventory as the evolution of the the Covenant forces, not an advancement. In Halo 2 the Brutes used normal guns plus maybe the Brute Launcher. In Halo 3 they got spike pistols instead of Plasma Blasters. I didn't view it so much as "new tech" but instead as an evolution of what the Brute was. They might've thought, "the Brute doesn't fight differently enough from Elites, let's give them their own basic weapon as well". That's how I interpret it anyway.

It would be cool if someone could take all the tech and enemies from Reach and put it into the older games so there was some real continuity.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
LogicNProportion said:
De Ronneman said:
Great review!

Marcus Fenix, from Gears of War, my good man. While you're the new member of Delta Squad, you're actually the biggest veteran on your entire team. In fact, I think Hoffman and Dom are the only guys who can boast Marcus' experience.[\quote]

Please reread my post, especially the last line ;)

please, no examples, retorical question...

To be more on topic: I like the jetpack, but I suck at landing where I want, I always go too far... I prefer the invincibility, since you can just stand there and take ANYHTING the can throw at you. That's my idea of awesome;)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Well the alien laser rifle and the DMR are both inferior to the following weapons in my opinion. The Covenant don't even use the laser rifle effectively. The big needler is just a Carbine replacement with a lower rate of fire. As for the armour, one can just say that Master Chief's suit was incompatible with them and/or all prototypes were subsequently lost on Reach.

I know what you're saying, but it's not that glaring. There are a lot of new weapons, but I'm not sure that they're all necessarily better.

Don't consider things black and white anyway. You can't really do a straight comparison. Instead, look at the game's inventory as the evolution of the the Covenant forces, not an advancement. In Halo 2 the Brutes used normal guns plus maybe the Brute Launcher. In Halo 3 they got spike pistols instead of Plasma Blasters. I didn't view it so much as "new tech" but instead as an evolution of what the Brute was. They might've thought, "the Brute doesn't fight differently enough from Elites, let's give them their own basic weapon as well". That's how I interpret it anyway.

It would be cool if someone could take all the tech and enemies from Reach and put it into the older games so there was some real continuity.
all you had to mention was that the assault rifle has 32 rounds in Reach and 60 in Halo1. :p

Ill give you that they may or may not be better. But its very telling when there is MORE variety of weapon systems in a narrative that supposedly comes before Halo:CE. While im all for more weapons in new games, if you want to do a prequel to a story that ppl genuinely care about, it really is that glaring to fans. Its like Star Wars, fans hated epi 1-3 verses 4-6, one reason was that it seemingly made no sense how technology went backwards over time.

But again this is minor to the overall experience of the game :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DTWolfwood said:
all you had to mention was that the assault rifle has 32 rounds in Reach and 60 in Halo1. :p
Oh I don't pay attention to that stuff. I just shoot bullets until I need to reload.

Ill give you that they may or may not be better. But its very telling when there is MORE variety of weapon systems in a narrative that supposedly comes before Halo:CE. While im all for more weapons in new games, if you want to do a prequel to a story that ppl genuinely care about, it really is that glaring to fans. Its like Star Wars, fans hated epi 1-3 verses 4-6, one reason was that it seemingly made no sense how technology went backwards over time.

But again this is minor to the overall experience of the game :p
To be honest when Reach first started out I was pretty bored with it because it was just more of the same. Same enemies, same guns, same vehicles, etcetera. If they hadn't spiced it up with different variations on each individual enemy I probably would've had a lot less fun as the game progressed.

As for Star Wars, that is one reason, but it's probably one of the least relevant. And of course you probably know that anyway.

One of my friends had a cool idea though, that it would best if Lucas had created the movies using the old movie making techniques. So not with CGI, but with sets and with models so visually the the films were more seamless with the originals. Of course the action may not have been that intense. But for all the colour and explosions of the opening battle of Revenge of the Sith I myself was bored to tears by it. And I'd rather watch the Ewoks battling on Endor than the stupid Wookies on Kashykk. People love to rag on the ewoks but for all their cuddliness they show more tactical strategy in Jedi than the whole clone army does in the prequels.

Putting this back on topic, the one big land battle scenes of Reach was pretty passe and odd to me. Bunch of people charging enemy fortifications in Warthogs? Where are the battle tanks? Aren't there any closed-top APCs? Maybe they're supposed to be using different tactics or something, but the big ground action sequence seemed like a bunch of amateurs not a real military engagement.

Angryranter101

Sep 20, 2010
Can someone explain to me whats so good about the Halo universe? I'm not being sarcastic or smarmy, I personally don't get it. I found it too bland and one dimensional with no characters I could either admire or connect with. For one Master Chief makes no real moral decisions other than shoot them. Being a super soldier he isnt your average gamer either.

Now, its probably regarded as the best game of all time and I'll freely admit to being a bit odd and finding it "OK". This will probably never change but I would dearly like someone to explain to me why its such a great plot. I know it seems odd but I'd really like someone to try and convince me the plot is as good as everyone says it is.

This won't become an argument, I won't land my own favourite plots on you adn try and show you their better, I would really like someone to PM me and explain what makes it great.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
First off I will admit that I am a HUGE Halo fan. I ONLY get the Legendary Editions and have more than a few action figures and wall hangings of Spartans. ( Cause we all know Elites suck )

That said....I am disappointed in Reach. For whatever reason it does NOT have that Halo feel to it whatsoever. No I am not talking about the vehicles or the weapons or whatnot....just the feel of what makes a Halo game a halo game.

It is a DECENT game. Not good....but not bad either. Overall a 6/10 MAX.

Bungies last Halo game eh? Highly doubtful. I know what they said and I know that they have been bought out by Activision.....but knowing Bungies history....HIGHLY DOUBTFUL THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE BY BUNGIE.

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
I've been having a lot of fun with it. About a year ago, as well as before that, I didn't really like anything where I had to pay attention to a guy for more than 3 seconds to kill him, but I started playing 3 a while ago, and it got to me (also helped me use assault rifles in BC2), and ended up preordering it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I've been waiting since Halo 2 for a Halo game that is worthy of this generation and not just a pretty re-hash. Looks like that game will never be made...=(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Angryranter101 said:
Can someone explain to me whats so good about the Halo universe? I'm not being sarcastic or smarmy, I personally don't get it. I found it too bland and one dimensional with no characters I could either admire or connect with. For one Master Chief makes no real moral decisions other than shoot them. Being a super soldier he isnt your average gamer either.

Now, its probably regarded as the best game of all time and I'll freely admit to being a bit odd and finding it "OK". This will probably never change but I would dearly like someone to explain to me why its such a great plot. I know it seems odd but I'd really like someone to try and convince me the plot is as good as everyone says it is.

This won't become an argument, I won't land my own favourite plots on you adn try and show you their better, I would really like someone to PM me and explain what makes it great.
Simply put the Halo universe just isn't that good.
Halo: CE however was a revolutionary game that changed FPS up to this very day. It brought in a two weapon system, melee attack, quick use grenades, vehicles that handled well, weapon balance (No best weapon due to ammo limit etc), regen health, wide open missions and so on. That is why Halo was good. However as it was one of the only good games of the entire Xbox catalogue, it brought a lot of fanboys over to it who still carry the flag for it for some unknown reason.
It's just really down to fanboys loving a game for no explainable reason while there are far better FPS' out there.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
BrunDeign said:
because people dont review the multiplayer in games...

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Mazty said:
Angryranter101 said:

Halo: CE however was a revolutionary game that changed FPS up to this very day. It brought in a two weapon system, melee attack, quick use grenades, vehicles that handled well, weapon balance (No best weapon due to ammo limit etc), regen health, wide open missions and so on. That is why Halo was good. However as it was one of the only good games of the entire Xbox catalogue, it brought a lot of fanboys over to it who still carry the flag for it for some unknown reason.
It's just really down to fanboys loving a game for no explainable reason while there are far better FPS' out there.
people like it because its a good online game

it doesnt have the stupid ass unnessacary annoying addons that further unbalance it (modern warfare 2 heartbeat sensors stopping power grenade launcher etc)
the massive host advantage, lag, and difficulty at getting good at (gears of war concidentally i like this game)
the sniper dominance (bad company)

its just overall good fun online see that word? "fun" something that seems to be gone from online games, bad company was good, but it was only good when played as rush where the fighting was centrallized and it led to the big squad based "their is fucking bullets and explosions everywhere" combat that it could have done amazingly, but the open battlefield firefights were ruined by people with scopes on their guns, and snipers because the scopes made it so you didnt have to try and just fight but wait for them to stick their head up and snipers just killed anyone who fired anyway, at emplacements were heavily overpowered, mortar strikes are of plague epic proporations, and crates shouldnt be affected by anything other than planting the c4 which you were suppose to do

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
lizards said:
Mazty said:
Angryranter101 said:

people like it because its a good online game

it doesnt have the stupid ass unnessacary annoying addons that further unbalance it (modern warfare 2 heartbeat sensors stopping power grenade launcher etc)
the massive host advantage, lag, and difficulty at getting good at (gears of war concidentally i like this game)
the sniper dominance (bad company)

its just overall good fun online see that word? "fun" something that seems to be gone from online games, bad company was good, but it was only good when played as rush where the fighting was centrallized and it led to the big squad based "their is fucking bullets and explosions everywhere" combat that it could have done amazingly, but the open battlefield firefights were ruined by people with scopes on their guns, and snipers because the scopes made it so you didnt have to try and just fight but wait for them to stick their head up and snipers just killed anyone who fired anyway, at emplacements were heavily overpowered, mortar strikes are of plague epic proporations, and crates shouldnt be affected by anything other than planting the c4 which you were suppose to do
But Halo 2 was fun online. I think it's a fair criticism to say that the franchise was running on vapours from Halo 3 and onwards.

Angryranter101

Sep 20, 2010
Thank God someone else agrees with me. I played Halo 1 and I thought I'd be bitter and spiteful and try and bring it and its fan boys off its high horse but I found it was really impressive for the time. As I said on my blog, were the game seen as an underdog I'd back it up, I'd say the plot was ambitious, it was hollowed out for a game but had potential and well done for trying. Now it seems to be regarded as Shakespeare with Aliens.

Then again, the books are probably the only Sci-fi apart form warhammer that has plot twists in-between firefights and isn't a look at human culture or some conspiracy story.

Hobbit in Denial

Apr 28, 2010
Just started playing Reach and i think its the best one so far except for the first one, which for its time, was awesome. Halo 1 is the reason why i bought an xbox anyway so im glad Reach turned out so well.

Extra-Ordinary

Mar 17, 2010
Lim3 said:
Because it's not MW2, it's Halo! And I personally find it funny when I and someone else knock each other out at the same time.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
I liked the game. I thought the ending was great and i have to say their wasn't a single mission i didn't enjoy.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
In the beginning of the game, Noble Team's commander tells you that you are stepping into shoes that the rest of the team would rather go unfilled. After Halo: Reach, the next team to develop a Halo game is going to be facing the exact same thing.
After almost a year since its release and another year to go until 343 brings out Halo 4...very well said :]