Review: Halo: Reach

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
If Halo is such a multiplayer centric franchise, why is there no multiplayer review? Are they going to release one?

weker

May 27, 2009
well this is a thread I will leave before the trolls and such flock here in the dozens lol
na it should be safe ish
I like all halo games and i know this wont be an exception
I highly doubt the game is worth anything less then a 9 (if scores are important for you)
as the sheer amount of good balancing good improvements and new content makes it clearly not worth a 8 (game radar gave the game a 8 but then again they gave start craft 2 ten so me listening to their reviews have stopped )

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
John Funk said:
Review: Halo: Reach

Bungie's farewell Halo title is also arguably its finest.

Read Full Article
I saw you playing this and thought about sending you a message saying something along the line of i look forward to the review, but a thought occured to me, what if this is an important part thats going into the review. So is it a good idea to send you a message when your playing a game i know your going to be reviewed.

Sh4dowSpec

Jan 16, 2009
Lim3 said:
I finished the campaign today; the story was not engaging, the characters boring and the action and battles don't live up to their predecessors. Also there were plot holes; lots of plot holes, which i'm pretty sure there will be attempts to cover up.

When compared to the EPICNESS of Halo 3 (and 1 & 2) in terms of story line and battles Reach falls far short. You drive PAST scarabs in the last level, rather then engaging them. You DON'T take on hordes of enemies, the enemies themselves seemed smaller, less fearsome and more boring then in Halo 3.
While the first three installments of Halo were undoubtedly fairly epic, think about it--were the characters in them really that engaging? The only one who got more than 5 minutes of screentime at a time was Master Chief, and he's the proverbial blank slate--no personality whatsoever. Furthermore, if you look into the games and the canon behind Halos 1, 2, and 3, you will find that there are several major plot holes which Bungie has attempted to fix with (and I kid you not here) time travel.

As for the Scarab issue you mentioned, the simple fact of the matter is that the soldiers of Noble Team are NOT Master Chief--they cannot take down a Scarab single-handedly. If they could, all of the attempts at making the characters seem like just another group of humans caught up in events they are not able to control would have gone right out the window.

And as one Halo fan to another, let's face it: the storyline in Halo has always sucked. What Bungie really tried to focus on in this final installment was the atmosphere of soldiers fighting a battle they are doomed to lose. If you go into it with the right mindset, it can be a very powerful and moving game--FAR more so than Halo 3, whose campaign was all of 6 hours long and basically consisted of "everybody wants everybody else dead, and oh look, there's the Flood again."

P.S.--The reason that Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have multiple stab issues is because when two people stab each other at roughly the same time, the system automatically picks one player at random to get the kill. Since it usually takes multiple melees in Reach to kill an opponent, they decided to allow simultaneous melee hits.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
A good halo game, what a shocker! when Yahtzee inevitably decide to review Halo I will skip that review. Some people game the games have bad stories and cookie-cutter characters, but here's a question, what FPS doesn't have at least one of those flaws? I'm still buying the game and I will still enjoy the game regardless of what anyone else thinks.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
A perfect score from the Escapist for Halo? I guess this means you're being paid off by Micro$oft, right? Because, as we all know, a popular, hyped franchise can't really be any good.

Seriously though, good, in depth review, and hopefully I'll agree with it when my fucking copy gets here. Seriously, it's been out for delivery since half 8 this morning, and it's now almost 4. Christ.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I have it waiting in my mailbox for me when I get home from work.

I haven't played a halo game since the first game (which I thoroughly enjoyed while I wasn't playing KoTOR), however, I am very much looking forward to this incarnation. I wasn't so much interested in Halo 2-ODST (though I have recently been recommended ODST), because they felt overly grandiose (not to mention the 5 hour campaign in 2 that my friend raged about).

I am interested to see how this game satisfies my Sci-Fi shooter urges, because I am growing pretty tired of the contemporary shooters - I don't find that contemporary shooters to offer the escapism that historic/sci-fi ones can do (except TF2 <3). On a side note it'll be interesting to see what Activision/Bungie spawns...

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
mmmmm... i wouldnt buy it (because im buying Dead Rising 2!)
but id sure play it, and see if it can make me think shooters can be fun (the last fun shooter that i played was Unreal Tournament... Halo has a LOOOOONG way to go before beating that)

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Ahhhhh Tuesday Tuesday, game release day!!! Seriously check every game release day!! It?s on a Tuesday ^-^

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
Isn't that maybe a little harsh?
that maybe a lot harsh?
It's a Halo thread. The game is a lightning rod for trolls.

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed likes Halo.

Fixed that for you. =P

In all seriousness, I have no doubt it's a good game, I'm just still bitter that they moved the first Halo from the PC to the Xbox originally. I was so pissed off at the time, I was really looking forward to it, then they did the unthinkable, they put an FPS on a console. Mouse and Keyboard ladies and gentlemen, the best only was to play an FPS.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Eh, I have no problem with cookie-cutter characters or story, as long as both are well-implemented. Just rented the game and am about to dive in... against heavy odds I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that us German players aren't going to get stuck with nothing but the horrible dub.

OblivionRegained

Nov 13, 2008
I like the Halo games. Dont get me wrong im not a huge poster on the forums here, but alot of what i have posted on here is my thoughts on Halo, not all together positive... Anyway i have always liked the single player campaigns, the multiplayer can suck a fat one (piece of trash). I like the single player because of the the feel of the environments your run around in and epic music as you do.

Im not gonna dump on Reach as i have not played it, ill wait for it to get traded in and then play through the co-op. But what i will say, Halo ever since 2 has lost its shine, its zip, its in the immortal words of Dethklok, its Zazz. Halo 3 was just boring and contrived, and dont get me started on the Gravemind and Guilty Spark. (If you know Irish politics he reminds of Ian Paisley who is a giant fucktard and Guilty Spark is more annoying than Jar Jar Binks.)

Screw this im done, Halo as a series was decent, 1 Was great, 2 was better imo, 3 was trash, ODST was good, i liked not playing as Master Chief for once being a squishy mortal gave more of a reason to be calm and considerate when playing on solo-legendary, lack of stealth sort of undermined the reason for silenced weapons...

Ill be saving my money for better and more original games. Some one trade in Reach quickly in Belfast for me peeps so i can test this pap :D

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
JIst00 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
Isn't that maybe a little harsh?
that maybe a lot harsh?
It's a Halo thread. The game is a lightning rod for trolls.

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed likes Halo.

Fixed that for you. =P

In all seriousness, I have no doubt it's a good game, I'm just still bitter that they moved the first Halo from the PC to the Xbox originally. I was so pissed off at the time, I was really looking forward to it, then they did the unthinkable, they put an FPS on a console. Mouse and Keyboard ladies and gentlemen, the best only was to play an FPS.
Technically they moved it from the Mac to the Xbox. PC was an added bonus. Just so everyone knows it was originally supposed to be Mac exclusive to show what you could do with its graphics. Buuuut microsoft bought them over. And the guy in charge of Bungie actually ended up leaving the company, but hey lets stay positive.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Halo, Imma real happy for you

But I gotta say I never liked the games. I'm not a cover-clinging Realistic Shooter type, it's just that the only experience I've had of the game has been around other peoples houses, playing odd missions co-op or just a 2v2

I understand that this is not reflective of the key elements (singleplayer and multiplayer online) of the series, but I have no XBOX and lack the patience to try it out.

I will say this though:

It's revolutionised gaming, and it makes THE. MOST. AWESOME. adverts ever

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed Halo.
That's a touch harsh do you not think?

There's plenty of people who fall into both pro and anti Halo camps who you could call a certifiable dumbass. It's not so much their opinion as the lack of perspective and tolerance applied to it. Doesn't mean you should ban everyone automatically for having opinion X.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
I don't understand why people hate people who like certain games I mean really? come on. I have a wide variety of games that i like to play ranging from fps games to rts and rpg games. I have no hate toward any people play any certain game. why can't people enjoy both Halo and Call of duty??

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Woodsey said:
So they're stupid because they don't agree with you? Nice.

He wasn't trolling anyway - he just gave a score. To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.
Evidence for my theory accumulates quickly.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Woodsey said:
So they're stupid because they don't agree with you? Nice.

He wasn't trolling anyway - he just gave a score. To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.
Evidence for my theory accumulates quickly.
Evidence for mine just dropped down in one fell swoop.