Review: Halo: Reach

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i would more likely consider to buy it if it was for pc, no offence though but atleast i wouldn't have to pay for xbox live

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
This Game is officailly the greatest Game I ever played.
Ever.
I havent even finished yet.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Enlightening review, I think I shall rent Reach when I get the chance. Just a few thing that sound like quite an improvement:
*Better story (Not hard, I didn't like 2 or 3)
*Better characters (Pretty much facile)
*Better Scale and sense of a larger battle
*Recharging powers (Bubble shield)
*Tougher enemies who do not speak English (in a silly voice no less...)
*Old Halo 1 feel for weapons and health

Woodsey said:
To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.
That is a good point in general sense because that is average ha ha.
Although I haven't played Reach, I would be damn impressed if I gave it a 5/10... because I can't play the multiplayer as a silver. :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SteelStallion said:
Halo is mainstream, meaning it's surely just a redundant shooter with no redeeming qualities. I rate it 5/10 for doing the same thing every other FPS does, although I can't quite remember which ones so I'll leave them unmentioned. This game is far too mediocre for my hardcore artistic tastes so I might just rent it.

Anyways, I've got some great Indie titles to check out. And if there aren't any out, I'll just revisit the classic like Thief and Zelda because everyone knows that all the recent video games suck, I mourn for the death of video games.
I'm pretty sure that this comment is entirely facetious, but the sad part is that I honestly can't tell.

Reshkar

"Face to Face"
May 18, 2010
I was anticipated for Reach, the hype were incredible.. Have you seen the jet pack stunt in London :O

But I thought the campaign were a little short in my opinion. But what got myself into ordering Reach in the first place, were Forge Mode. You can literally put any kind of object in Forge. A little too much as I couldn't get more ideas to put in my world, or aren't happy off your result and always have to edit on it :/

In general I'll give Halo Reach a 7.5 / 10

EDIT: Oh, and firefight is awesome :D

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Hey guys, I'm noticing a lot of hate. I really like halo, it's one of my favorite videogame series. But some people don't like it. Why do we have to fight over this?

danpascooch said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.
Edit: Added spoiler tags. The game just came out! -Mod
Good save! That almost spoiled the game for me.

FuQ Halo

Aug 11, 2010
This game should have been called "Stretch". The entire franchise was shit, I'm sure there will be more Halos as they "Reach" for those last dollars still in the market.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
Lim3 said:
Oh and they haven't fixed the problem of simultaneous beat downs, if MW2 doesn't have simultaneous stab problems (that i have noticed anyway) why should Halo?
It's not a problem, it's a solution. It was absent on the outset of Halo 3 which is why it was patched later. It's a fix. See, without it, someone without host advantage would melee the host and despite having meleed first (from his perspective) he will lose during a "simultaneous" melee. This way, those of us who aren't lucky enough to get host advantage can trade kills instead of "losing" in close quarters.

Also, Bungie explained that in the old melee system of Halo 3, whoever won during a "simultaneous" melee exchange meant the difference of one stray Assault Rifle bullet. Combine that with the invisible health meter that regenerated at a slower rate than your shields and you get the recipe for seemly random outcomes.

I would much rather trade kills when I see myself melee first than lose.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
John Funk said:
Review: Halo: Reach

Bungie's farewell Halo title is also arguably its finest.

Read Full Article
I am very excited to play this tonight, thank you for this glimpse John!

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Im gonna haft to disagree.
I LOVE the controller for the X-Box.
It fits so well in my hand, i know what button does what, and i don't need 4 separate buttons just to move left, right, foreword, ETC.
The mouse is great for aiming but, i can aim just as well with a Analogue Stick.

It really all comes down to personal preference.
And Right now playing Halo 2 on my Laptop, even with a mouse, is murder on my hands.
Agreed, I didn't make that clear =)
Azaraxzealot said:
why should certain genres be exclusive to certain platforms?
besides shooters on consoles seem to be MUCH more popular than on the PC (just look at where the bulk of sales for a game lies... MW2 sales on 360 are the highest), and ive found that console shooters have a much more level playing field since EVERYONE is using the same console with the same specs no one has to worry about having lag.

so Halo being for the console was not a bad thing, and besides without Halo on the Xbox, we probably wouldnt HAVE xbox! then we also wouldnt have Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, the Fable series, the Halo series, none of the XBLA indie games, and Crackdown. Also, the PS3 and Wii would have no other competition, so Sony would have a stranglehold on the market and they'd be able to set their prices at whatever (since your only other option is a Wii which has less processing power than a PS2)

console shooters just balance the market, and besides, you got your Halo:CE for PC later anyways...
All I can really say to those comments is I guess it comes down to what your used to and grew up on. To me the only way to play an FPS is with a mouse and keyboard, when using a pad it feels like being stuck in jelly.

And yes Halo eventually made it to the PC some where down the line, and I've been playing it this afternoon =)

I have no doubt that MW2 sold more on the 360 than a PC, as I think there are more people who own consoles than those who use their PC's for gaming. There are probably more PC's than consoles in the home's of people, but not everyone uses them for gaming, and a lot of people who have a PC tend to also have a console as well. I think the MW2 example was perhaps a bad one to use IMO, as the PC gamers were not as enthusiastic to play it on PC without dedicated servers, which tend to be the norm. That, and as more people got the 360 version, more PC users maybe followed suit to be able to play with their friends online.

Either way, I was not saying that genre's should have to be platform specific, I just think they perform better on certain platforms. For example, Beat-Em Ups and Sports games like FIFA 100932525 and Madden etc are better suited to a console, while I think RTS's and FPS's for example are better with a keyboard and mouse set up. Oh, and obviously, games like pokemon on a handheld as opposed to a PC =P

Traditionally I was a console gamer till the MegaDrive died, then moved to PC, which I gamed on up untill the Gamecube (aside from Pokemon), at which point I moved back to consoles as well.

At the moment I have a PC, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox 360 all wired up in my front room, and all get uses, although the PS2 not so much, was never a fan of it and only have it to play FFX

Obviously, I had not made clear that this was an opinion, and not a demand that genre's be made platform specific =P

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
JIst00 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Im gonna haft to disagree.
I LOVE the controller for the X-Box.
It fits so well in my hand, i know what button does what, and i don't need 4 separate buttons just to move left, right, foreword, ETC.
The mouse is great for aiming but, i can aim just as well with a Analogue Stick.

It really all comes down to personal preference.
And Right now playing Halo 2 on my Laptop, even with a mouse, is murder on my hands.
Agreed, I didn't make that clear =)
Lol, that's ok.
It happens from time to time.
But i do really enjoy the PC for games like RTSs.
The mouse and hotkeying Actions make it much easier than trying to play on a Handheld.
:3
Im just gonna haft to practice my FPS skills on the PC before i move onto HL2.
Iv never played it but i really really want to, i hear that its fun but very difficult.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'll always find it funny that an army of Spartans couldn't hold one planet, yet one (the Chief) could take care of so many overwhelming odds missions in Halo's one to three.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
PixelJunk said:
Seaf The Troll said:
Jezzascmezza said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 5/10
Isn't that maybe a little harsh?
that maybe a lot harsh?
Not harsh at all. To actually pay full price for something that's already been done "and better I might add" is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I love Bungie. Have many fond memories of the Marathon trilogy, Pathways Into Darkness, Myth, but that was a long time ago. Somewhere along the way Bungie lost what it meant to be an independent innovator. To celebrate that in anyway only shows what's wrong with the industry. So to the Halo series good riddance. Now maybe Bungie can get their act together.

*edit*

Bring on the hate.
Really, You went back and edited your post for the purposes of GETTING attention? Well mission accomplished, someone replied too your post. Your purpose in life is complete.

OT: Iv never really been on the Halo Bandwagon. the first Halo game I played was two, And that was online with a Friend where my ass was introduced to the energy sword. As for the story, I put it together when I could, but I really think playing the first game "First" would be beneficial. All in all, Very well written and voiced review.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I never played any of the Halos aside from the odd multiplayer every now and again, but I have to respect Bungie for making the epic series. The Halo franchise may have created some of the worst hated trends in FPSs (regenerating health, 2 weapon pickup, generic soldier, generic story (supposedly)), I or anyone else cannot deny, or should not deny, the impact that the Halo franchise has done to the gaming industry, and possibly the world.

Congradulations Bungie, don't let Activision suck your soul.

Goodnight, and good luck.

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Honestly I haven't done much of the story yet, but I intend to. As far as the online multiplayer goes, they've definatley improved it. The armour abilities, and new weapons/vehicles make it interesting and varied, but not unbalanced, something MW2 failed miserably at. The new playlists too, are alot of fun. And one of my favourite things about the multiplayer is how you actually vote on a selection of game modes.

I'd give it a 9/10 based on that alone. I'll probably change that score after the campaign though.

Spy Killer

Feb 4, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
BloodSquirrel said:
I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed Halo.
That's a touch harsh do you not think?

There's plenty of people who fall into both pro and anti Halo camps who you could call a certifiable dumbass. It's not so much their opinion as the lack of perspective and tolerance applied to it. Doesn't mean you should ban everyone automatically for having opinion X.
He was saying that in response to all the dumbass trolls who are attracted to bashing Halo.