Review: Halo: Reach

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
I'm not talking about what they're saying. I'm talking about what you said.
Well, see, that's going to be a problem, because what they're saying was the topic of conversation. If they *weren't* trolling, I wouldn't have made the comment in the first place. There's really no way to proceed in any coherent or logical manner if you're going to ignore the actual subject matter of my comment.

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Still curious how everything got so much more low tech AFTER this Prequel.

Games a very refined Halo game. Id say its the best out there since its got EVERYTHING from ALL the previous 4 Halo games. Well at this point it better right? XD
Actually, with Reach being humanity's main weapon manufacturing centre, you could probably justify it. Of course, that doesn't explain the change in Covenant weaponry.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed the campaign. While I've always liked the Halo games, the campaign for 2 and 3 left me feeling a bit disappointed. I liked ODST's better and now Reach has surpassed that. I think the lack of Flood really helped since I always preferred taking on the Covenant instead.

I may be in the minority on this but I think Kat's death was one of the two highpoints of the whole story. It comes out of nowhere and was just such a pointless death. Here was a woman who did not let losing an arm keep her off the battlefield and to be taken down by a potshot from a passing sniper was just...jarring. It really brought home the idea that even Spartans aren't safe and you will not make it off of Reach alive.

The after credits epilogue is the other moment that comes to mind. Just one objective and it is impossible. The loneliness is palpable after being surrounded by other Noble Team members for almost the entirety of the campaign. First your visor cracks, obscuring your vision and damaging your HUD. Then you fall, a dead Spartan on a doomed planet. But only after you complete your mission. Bungie could not have ended it any better than that.

mikepyro

Sep 17, 2010
I'll be honest. I've never cared for halo. It's stories are terrible, I find the level design unbelievably mediocre with huge ammounts of backtracking to fill out a 6 hour campaign? It is a multip game. I don't do online so it is useless to me. If a game can't stand alone on sp then it isn't a true game to me.

HOWEVER, I did enjoy ODST's more subtle nature and the great cast. Reach peaked my interest so I rented it from Blockbuster. 7 missions in now to the campaign. And, blow me down, it's a very solid game. Bungie did a pretty damn good job. The new cinematic camera, likeable characters (Junge, Kat, Carter, the other 2 squad members are cliches through and through) are a great suprise. Hell, Noble 6 is cooler than master chief ever was, because he has a real personality, even though he rarely speaks still. Junge is a great character, def the best Bungie has ever created.

The campaign is varied, missions fun and lasting. That said, it in no way deserves a perfect score. The space combat was ok I guess, but for all the hype was a huge letdown. also, suffering the same problem as every other halo game, it doesn't feel like a true WAR is going on. You are never involved in massive, harsh battles, they all seem like skirmishes if that. At least MW captures the feeling of true horror and shock in battle. Tip of the Spear level promised that, I couldn't wait to ride into battle with a swarm of warthogs, but it's confined to a 2 min cutscene with 30 sec of action, wtf is that? How can a game that costs so much still fail to create an epic level of battle? ODST I can forgive because it takes place after the carnage, but if you are supposed to be in the middle of a last stand of humanity, it doesn't feel epic enough. BUT there are truly incredible moments, and damn are the cutscenes cool.

i love that they added wildlife and some civilians, even though they still feel like addons rather than being fleshed out. Still, there is some great design, and very intense missions.

There are some issues, but Halo Reach's multi is amazing I hear as always, but for maybe the first true time I believe Halo has lived up to its namesake. this is what halo always could have been for me. too bad it's over after 8 hours... :(

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 (based on campaign) maybe even a 9 once I coop with my buds. :D

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

(snipped for brevity)
I don't disagree with anything you write here, but I took a peek at your achievements for Reach and note you finished the campaign on Normal. Normal co-op is the wrong way to play Reach - I learned this first hand. We blitzed everything, raced through the campaign and didn't absorb anything. It felt rushed, and thin, and generally a let down in the wrong way. Ultimately I accept this was my fault, as a Halo veteran who took the too-easy option or Normal co-op my first time through.

I urge you, do yourself a favour and play it on Heroic. You'll take your time, and the impact of the story and set pieces will sink in more. I know this seems ridiculous, but simply making the game more difficult really changes the way you'll look at the game. It's still the same game, and maybe it doesn't feel as "epic" as Halo 1 or 3. You still race past the Scarabs instead of fighting them, there's no extra mission where all the "make game better" switches are flipped... but the game is supposed to feel like a desperate struggle and if you're not feeling it, take my advice and give it another try.

That eighth mission where you island-hop for half an hour means a lot more to you when you're sailing towards an objective with your engines on fire, Banshees closing in fast and a thousand square smiles of the planet get glassed in the distance while you watch.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
chozo_hybrid said:
BloodSquirrel said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I'll always find it funny that an army of Spartans couldn't hold one planet, yet one (the Chief) could take care of so many overwhelming odds missions in Halo's one to three.
When does Master Chief ever hold an entire planet by himself?

In Halo 1-3 he's just the guy who can fight his way to the most important places at the most important times.
I never said he held a planet, I'm just saying, these guys are supposedly the same deal right? Yet only one makes it out of this whole thing and accomplishes more then any.
What it boils down to is luck - something Cortana highlights herself in the opening sequence of Halo 3.

During the events of Reach, humanity is losing badly. Reach is overwhelmed. The only think saving them from complete annihilation is the fact that the Covenant don't know where Earth is yet. The Reach campaign sets up the basis for the games that are to come, in which humanity finds the Forerunner tech, the Halo rings, and this is ultimately what turns the tide in their favour. They were on the brink of extinction. The Chief won not only through a matter of happenstance wherein he was in the right place at the right time, but because generally things started going well for the humans as a whole. They got in a few lucky punches against the Covenant and gained the upper hand while the prophets were distracted with the Halo rings.

I'd say any of the members of Noble Team would have fared as well as the Chief if they had his good fortune - unfortunately they were stuck on a planet being turned to glass with pretty much the entire Covvie armada circling overhead.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
It must suck to review exclusive titles.

If you're positive, you're stated as a fanboy and that you're being paid off. If you're negative, it means that you're obviously being paid off by the other side or you don't like it because it's on one particular console. And if you say it's average, you get hate from both sides.

I love the Halo series, incredible amounts of fun. About half way through Reach atm, will start playing again in a bit.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Kermi said:
Lim3 said:
I give it a 7/10.

(snipped for brevity)
I don't disagree with anything you write here, but I took a peek at your achievements for Reach and note you finished the campaign on Normal. Normal co-op is the wrong way to play Reach - I learned this first hand. We blitzed everything, raced through the campaign and didn't absorb anything. It felt rushed, and thin, and generally a let down in the wrong way. Ultimately I accept this was my fault, as a Halo veteran who took the too-easy option or Normal co-op my first time through.

I urge you, do yourself a favour and play it on Heroic. You'll take your time, and the impact of the story and set pieces will sink in more. I know this seems ridiculous, but simply making the game more difficult really changes the way you'll look at the game. It's still the same game, and maybe it doesn't feel as "epic" as Halo 1 or 3. You still race past the Scarabs instead of fighting them, there's no extra mission where all the "make game better" switches are flipped... but the game is supposed to feel like a desperate struggle and if you're not feeling it, take my advice and give it another try.

That eighth mission where you island-hop for half an hour means a lot more to you when you're sailing towards an objective with your engines on fire, Banshees closing in fast and a thousand square smiles of the planet get glassed in the distance while you watch.
Hey, you're right, i rushed through the campaign on normal. I finished ODST, Halo 3 and Halo 2 or legendary, and i plan to do it on Reach.

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
Well after being disappointed by 3 and ODST this does seem like a straight improvement in every way possible catered especially to me.

-I hated Dual Wielding
-I hated not having health
-I hated the really bad equipment dynamics in Halo 3

Also the Tuning Forks are back. And that's all that matters.

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
Question--weren't the Spartan 3's weaker than the other Spartans? Like, the Spartan 2 had harder selections (kids chosen for genetic and biological prowess across the galaxy), were trained from childhood, had better armor, and better enhancements (due to having them done young), no?

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Amazing Game. Amazing story. I finished the game several days ago and as a fan of all the books I loved the little details included in the game.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who got tingles at the ending. The last level is also haunting and did something that most games can't do.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Never really was a halo fan, but I got to say that reach is pretty fun, its nothing special or mindblowing, but its fun. Very well done Bungie.

DamonO07

Mar 15, 2010
I agree, REACH is a great game. hell it's gotten perfect 10s.

I'm really glad with the way things turned out.

...Now let's see what Yahtzee thinks

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
De Ronneman said:
Great review!

Honestly, respect @ Bungie for stopping their franchise before it get's out of hand. Also, it sounds like a pretty sweet game, especialy since you know the outcome, but still have to get there...

Also, is there ever a game featuring a squad of soldiers where you're NOT the new guy?

[sub]please, no examples, retorical question...[/sub]
Marcus Fenix, from Gears of War, my good man. While you're the new member of Delta Squad, you're actually the biggest veteran on your entire team. In fact, I think Hoffman and Dom are the only guys who can boast Marcus' experience.

Getting back on topic, good review, Mr. Funk. I myself am loving the Hell out of the game. Jet Packs are my favorite armor power, but more-so, the assassination animations are the most satisfying things I've ever seen in a game...especially the one while you're on your Jet Pack...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Lim3 said:
I finished the campaign today; the story was not engaging, the characters boring and the action and battles don't live up to their predecessors. Also there were plot holes; lots of plot holes, which i'm pretty sure there will be attempts to cover up.
Wht where the ploy holes?, Im just intrested to know.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
danpascooch said:
Also, I liked the story, primarily not because of its content, but because of the way it was told, for example:

That one part with Kat I applaud wholeheartedly, I did NOT see that coming, but it was done in a way that seemed realistic and horrible, and reminded you that this shit is real, and you are NOT invincible.
I wholehartedly agree, I was like D: for 5 minuites after that.
and
when Jorge died (I'm hoping he was teleported to a hospitable planet and gets a spin off :D