Review: Halo Wars

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This isn't so much a bash of Halo Wars itself, but...
Why the hell would I want to play an RTS game on a console?
Mouse + keyboard is still far superior to the controller, especially in RTS and FPS games.

Now, as for Halo Wars: Sounds like a step backwards. The modular base design sounds a lot like Battle for Middle Earth 1 while the similar units goes back even further, to games like Warcraft 2.
Will there be a PC port/demo? I might try it out just for the heck of it.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Hmmm, makes you wonder if the Wiimote is any better suited for the job. I've been amazed how much easier it is to aim with the thing in an FPS.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I've always said that RTS's are PC-only territory, and it seems that I'm now vindicated by Halo Wars. I see no reason why Microsoft couldn't adapt it to PC's. In fact, they should do it now. Only then will I get Halo Wars.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
Hmmm, makes you wonder if the Wiimote is any better suited for the job. I've been amazed how much easier it is to aim with the thing in an FPS.
Huh, you might be on to something, but is it a genre that Wii owners want?

I'm surprised that more RTSs haven't come to the PS3, with it's mouse and keyboard support, it seems to be a no-brainer for me. Hopefully Red Alert 3 will support the use of a mouse/keyboard combo, it'll be a must have for me if it does.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Still not as good as with a mouse.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I was afraid of this kind of review... well not really AFRAID: it's not like I made the game, but I was considering getting it eventually. But maybe I still will. The demo didn't seem to be too annoying in terms of controls. Maybe it's because I spent some time with that LotR RTS game on the 360, but the thumbstick / trigger combo worked pretty well in my opinion.

Maybe console RTS games are for people who just downright suck at their PC equivalents... like me.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I have to say Jordan, playing console game is an exercise in patience until you are properly familiar with the controls. And it seems like you're not one for hotkeys, PC RTS's are amazingly complex if you plan on using hotkeys but they have the dumb luck to be built on top of the simplest control interface ever devised by man.

Anyway my point is, a hard to master control scheme is hardly a good reason to condemn a game. I'm sure you remember Goldeneye.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Abedeus said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I dunno, this is going to just become an opinion argument but I found it way easier to make headshots while moving using the Wiimote. Obviously there isn't a game to test this out in multiplayer yet but it's really, really easy to play an FPS with the Wii.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Abedeus said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I dunno, this is going to just become an opinion argument but I found it way easier to make headshots while moving using the Wiimote. Obviously there isn't a game to test this out in multiplayer yet but it's really, really easy to play an FPS with the Wii.
How to say it... Maybe it's just that the games are easier to get headshots in?

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I've played the demo and it was a lot of fun {I've played plenty of real-time strategy games on the PC before Halo Wars} and the controls were very intuitive, almost as good as the mouse and keyboard. I'm going to buy Halo Wars when it comes out.

The game uses the 30 seconds of fun philosophy that Bungie uses in Halo CE and Halo 3, I don't know why no one notices the 30 seconds of fun stuff these days.

palmcrusher

Jun 13, 2008
God this game is a joke. You cant play rts on consoles. You need the precision of a mouse and the speed of a keyboard for the game to not insanely slow and boring. This game would fail hard if it didn't have halo plastered on the cover to lure all the fan boys into a crap ass game.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
So far my only complaint is that there is no way to group units; y'know, designating my two marine riflemen and flamethrower units with a my two tanks, so I can easily quickly re-select them to have them relocate and move onto their next objective.

Also, it was good to hear Susan's dulcet tones again.

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
This is a pretty bad review.

You don't really mention anything about what makes Halo Wars bad except that it doesn't live up to the PC. Well, no RTS game on a console can live up to the PC and I wish you hadn't dwelled on that fact for the entire stinking time. Especially considering this game does a lot more in making the controls easy and intituitive than other RTS games on the console have, since they've all been ports.

You mention modular bases, but Halo Wars isn't the first to use this fixed base system. Battle for Middle-Earth I did as well and I'm sure there are others. It has less to do with the system's capabilities and more to how they wanted to steer the focus of the game to combat versus economy.

There are problems with Halo Wars, a lack of depth in the unit selection, certain essential abilities are missing (like the ability to create groups or attack-move), the lack of appropriate factions and other things... but you didn't mention those. You mentioned "Halo Wars sucks cause it's not on PC." I'm not denying that you like consoles, but I am denying that you know anything about the RTS genre to have focused so little on what an RTS player wants to hear.

Unacceptable to me. The Escapist screwed the pooch with this review.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I feel the problem with this review is that the you compare the game so often to a PC RTS you don't allow it to stand on its own merits. Its a console RTS - you should review it as such.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
ceforga said:
I've played the demo and it was a lot of fun {I've played plenty of real-time strategy games on the PC before Halo Wars} and the controls were very intuitive, almost as good as the mouse and keyboard. I'm going to buy Halo Wars when it comes out.

The game uses the 30 seconds of fun philosophy that Bungie uses in Halo CE and Halo 3, I don't know why no one notices the 30 seconds of fun stuff these days.
Yea, you and me both. I loved Halo Wars' controls. I played the demo for 3 days straight, just replaying that skirmish and trying out every possible tactic, playing around, just getting a feel for it. If it wasn't a Halo game, I'd probably have deleted the demo, but I didn't. I forced myself to play it for a few hours and after a while, I came to absolutely love its controls. I've played Starcraft, Dawn of War, Civ III and IV, Civ Revolution, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Fire Emblem, Star Wars: Empire At War and its expansion, Forces of Corruption, Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, etc... I think the games I like most in that list are Starcraft, Advance Wars (both games), and Star Wars: Empire At War (and its expansion).

[block of text]Now, Empire at War (which is my favorite) limits you in where you can build your bases. You have many different buildings like a barracks, light vehicle factory, heavy vehicle factory, advanced vehicle factory, Command Center, shield generator, research facility, sensor array, mining facility (neutral, must be captured and then built) and resource pads (neutral, must be captured and then built). They all do different things, allow production for different units, and give different upgrades, but their positions are all fixed. Before you start the skirmish (2-9 players, there's 3 factions in FoC, 2 in the original EAW), you can choose to have pre-built bases or not. If not, you have to use your starting units to capture resource pads to fund the creation of your base (if alone, but if you're in a large team, you'll easily have enough money to build all your buildings as soon as it starts. Also, players can give the rest of the team money if necessary). Turrets are also built from special build pads scattered around the map. Some are permanently controlled by a certain faction (like the ones defending the faction's base) and others are neutral (used to reinforce advancing units and push the front line forward. If any neutral structure is destroyed, it can be captured and built on). This doesn't make the game boring, it makes it faster paced and it opens up entirely new strategies. Halo Wars seems like a new and improved version of Empire At War for the consoles and it's set in the Halo universe. [/block of text]

I don't get what the fuss is about since I love SW: EAW and FoC, I love Halo, and I think Halo Wars' controls are great. I guess some people just like it and others just don't. Like the Halo series itself.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
KamikazeSailor said:

You don't really mention anything about what makes Halo Wars bad except that it doesn't live up to the PC. Well, no RTS game on a console can live up to the PC and I wish you hadn't dwelled on that fact for the entire stinking time. Especially considering this game does a lot more in making the controls easy and intituitive than other RTS games on the console have, since they've all been ports.

You mention modular bases, but Halo Wars isn't the first to use this fixed base system. Battle for Middle-Earth I did as well and I'm sure there are others. It has less to do with the system's capabilities and more to how they wanted to steer the focus of the game to combat versus economy.

There are problems with Halo Wars, a lack of depth in the unit selection, certain essential abilities are missing (like the ability to create groups or attack-move), the lack of appropriate factions and other things... but you didn't mention those. You mentioned "Halo Wars sucks cause it's not on PC." I'm not denying that you like consoles, but I am denying that you know anything about the RTS genre to have focused so little on what an RTS player wants to hear.

QFT

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
The video review was much better at informing us about the game rather than the written one. I agree with everyone that the written review was just a complete bash to the RTS genre from PC to console and how the don't compare in the slightest. While the video review explored the aspects of the game itself, both its good and bad sides, in a much more through manner in about three minutes.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I actually had a lot of fun playing Halo Wars. I am an RTS junkie of old and even though the review definitely has some valid points, I still had a lot of fun playing it, especially on multiplayer. Since it can be up to 3v3, I think grabbing 2 of your friends and trying to wreck shop will still bring the FUN.

BTW...Jordan and I are tied and 1 win each going head-to-head. :)

Nunka

Oct 10, 2007
KamikazeSailor said:

Guess you'll have to demand a written apology. Although I don't think it'll say what you want it to...

Really, though, designing RTS and FPS games for consoles was a flawed idea from the very beginning---mice and keyboards have been here all along, and why use an inferior input device? Why not stick to what each device is good at? Money, that's why. Plain and simple.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
I have to say Jordan, playing console game is an exercise in patience until you are properly familiar with the controls. And it seems like you're not one for hotkeys, PC RTS's are amazingly complex if you plan on using hotkeys but they have the dumb luck to be built on top of the simplest control interface ever devised by man.

Anyway my point is, a hard to master control scheme is hardly a good reason to condemn a game. I'm sure you remember Goldeneye.
You're absolutely right, Eldritch. I played about 10-15 hours of Halo Wars, and when all was said and done, I didn't feel like I had really grasped the controls anymore than when I started. An intuitive interface is a must for games with this level complexity, and a gamepad just doesn't cut it.

In fact, I had similar issues when I reviewed Civilization Revolution last year - and that was turn based. The problem becomes much more acute when you know you only have a matter of seconds to execute all the necessary commands before you've lost half your raiding party.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
Eldritch Warlord said:

You're absolutely right, Eldritch. I played about 10-15 hours of Halo Wars, and when all was said and done, I didn't feel like I had really grasped the controls anymore than when I started. An intuitive interface is a must for games with this level complexity, and a gamepad just doesn't cut it.

In fact, I had similar issues when I reviewed Civilization Revolution last year - and that was turn based. The problem becomes much more acute when you know you only have a matter of seconds to execute all the necessary commands before you've lost half your raiding party.
I never had any issues with Revolution whatsoever. Maybe it isn't so much the game as it is you and the gamepad itself. I think it's just that you don't like the gamepad.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
ceforga said:

Yea, you and me both. I loved Halo Wars' controls. I played the demo for 3 days straight, just replaying that skirmish and trying out every possible tactic, playing around, just getting a feel for it. If it wasn't a Halo game, I'd probably have deleted the demo, but I didn't. I forced myself to play it for a few hours and after a while, I came to absolutely love its controls. I've played Starcraft, Dawn of War, Civ III and IV, Civ Revolution, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Fire Emblem, Star Wars: Empire At War and its expansion, Forces of Corruption, Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, etc... I think the games I like most in that list are Starcraft, Advance Wars (both games), and Star Wars: Empire At War (and its expansion).

[block of text]Now, Empire at War (which is my favorite) limits you in where you can build your bases. You have many different buildings like a barracks, light vehicle factory, heavy vehicle factory, advanced vehicle factory, Command Center, shield generator, research facility, sensor array, mining facility (neutral, must be captured and then built) and resource pads (neutral, must be captured and then built). They all do different things, allow production for different units, and give different upgrades, but their positions are all fixed. Before you start the skirmish (2-9 players, there's 3 factions in FoC, 2 in the original EAW), you can choose to have pre-built bases or not. If not, you have to use your starting units to capture resource pads to fund the creation of your base (if alone, but if you're in a large team, you'll easily have enough money to build all your buildings as soon as it starts. Also, players can give the rest of the team money if necessary). Turrets are also built from special build pads scattered around the map. Some are permanently controlled by a certain faction (like the ones defending the faction's base) and others are neutral (used to reinforce advancing units and push the front line forward. If any neutral structure is destroyed, it can be captured and built on). This doesn't make the game boring, it makes it faster paced and it opens up entirely new strategies. Halo Wars seems like a new and improved version of Empire At War for the consoles and it's set in the Halo universe. [/block of text]

I don't get what the fuss is about since I love SW: EAW and FoC, I love Halo, and I think Halo Wars' controls are great. I guess some people just like it and others just don't. Like the Halo series itself.
Why does the 17 year old Halo fanboy have to agree with me?

Why is everyone is such a PC elitist?

Why is the gaming community so bad now?

Why do I make big deal out of all of this?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
palmcrusher said:
God this game is a joke. You cant play rts on consoles. You need the precision of a mouse and the speed of a keyboard for the game to not insanely slow and boring. This game would fail hard if it didn't have halo plastered on the cover to lure all the fan boys into a crap ass game.
Its actually a very good game - you can always tell when people haven't played the game...you haven't.

The game is certainly not "insanely slow and boring", and the control scheme is very well done.

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
For a series that probably never had an RTS in mind, the standard roster of Covenant and UNSC units are well adapted to this style of gameplay.
Actually, Halo CE was originally an RTS for the Mac, then Microsoft got it and Bungie decided to change it to an FPS.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
KamikazeSailor said:

It's not a question of whether an RTS would be "better" on a PC - that's pretty much a given. First-person shooters are easier to control with a mouse and keyboard as well, but that fact hasn't stopped me from enjoying about a decade's worth of console FPSs. The question is whether a gamepad is "good enough" to feel like you have an adequate sense of control over the action in an RTS, and in my experience, it isn't.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
KamikazeSailor said:

But you know what the problem is? Just about all of the issues they, and me as well, have had with the game can be reduced to that. The controls were not tight enough; there was no way to group units, for example. Also, the strategy element was quite low (imho) because of it. You can't really flank someone because you're just unable control two groups well enough at the same time, let alone micromanage their primary/secondary abilities.

The ironic part? All of those control problems would have been eliminated with a keyboard and mouse.

As for your problems with Halo war, I do agree with the lack of units. However, lack of appropriate factions? What's wrong with them?

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
ceforga said:

I must not have noticed when these 30 seconds happened. Still, I might pick up a demo and look if the demo is available for PC.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
ceforga said:

Why is loving Halo bad? Does it automatically mean I'm a retarded idiot that's just foaming at the mouth? And I didn't know I came across as a Halo fanboy, I was just comparing Star Wars: Empire At War and its expansion, Forces of Corruption, with Halo Wars.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
ceforga said:

Why is loving Halo bad? Does it automatically mean I'm a retarded idiot that's just foaming at the mouth? And I didn't know I came across as a Halo fanboy, I was just comparing Star Wars: Empire At War and its expansion, Forces of Corruption, with Halo Wars.
Uhh... I'm a Halo fan {except for Halo 2} but you just seem like a Halo fanboy. Then again, I don't know if I'm a Halo fanboy or not.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I totally disagree. I simply loved the demo. No, it's not as quick or accurate as a mouse and keyboard, but it's still a fun game. I really liked Command and Conquer 3 on consoles and I found that Halo Wars did it better.

This review is, honestly, crap.

For those who didn't read it and just wanted to see the comments, here's a summary:

Good RTS with controls not as good as PC.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
ceforga said:
Eipok Kruden said:
ceforga said:

Uhh... I'm a Halo fan {except for Halo 2} but you just seem like a Halo fanboy. Then again, I don't know if I'm a Halo fanboy or not.
Well, I know the entire Halo storyline, but I'm not the kind of brainless fanboy that will flame anyone and everyone that says Halo sucks. People are entitled to their opinions. I'm not gonna hold Jordan's hatred of and unfamiliarity with gamepads against him.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Abedeus said:
Bit of a chicken vs egg argument, isn't it? Is the game easy because the challenge is low or is it easy because the controls make me more proficient at the challenge?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Abedeus said:
Bit of a chicken vs egg argument, isn't it? Is the game easy because the challenge is low or is it easy because the controls make me more proficient at the challenge?
Or just game helps you getting headshots by making hitboxes a bit bigger. You know, so you dont have to aim that precisely for the same effect.

Also, headshotting AI isn't that hard.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Really, it's a sub-par RTS with a big name on it that'll sell very well because of said name.
The controls were good for a console RTS, but what is that really saying? For RTS fans who are used to quick, click and go controls...this just doesn't deliver. For those new to the genre, it might win a few over. But for veterans of the genre, what is there?
Poor controls for a 'ho hum' game.

Nunka said:
Really, though, designing RTS and FPS games for consoles was a flawed idea from the very beginning.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree. FPS games have proven themselves on consoles. They are doable. The control scheme works. Does it work as well as the mouse and keyboard? Most likely not, but I'd say it's more of a matter of opinion. I've seen very very good players using controllers. Very good.

RTS games, on the other hand, have not proven themselves. The control schemes remain poor and, for the most part, all very similar: cursor stuck in the middle, use the thumbstick to fly it around with poor accuracy. The only RTS I ever enjoyed on a console was EndWar, but that's another conversation.

The point is that RTS games require more freedom of movement then a controller will allow. Either support USB mice (C'mon Microsoft, do it!) or stop making RTS games on consoles.
The only reason this one will do well is because it's Halo.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Jordan, sorry, but I strongly disagree with your conclusions on the control scheme. My experience with the demo suggests that it doesn't play like C&C or Dawn of War, but it is controllable to a reasonably-fine degree. Cursor snap makes unit selection easier, the "select all" and "select all on screen" bumper controls work well, the "D-pad down to next group" serves to handle different task forces in different locations of the map (so long as you keep the number of those groups down to three or four, anyway) quickly and efficiently, and the "right trigger" to page through different unit types in a group was my go-to for handling special tasks. I scarcely ever had to use the "A" button to select, at least once I had my groups marshalled.

Unless the final game is greatly different from the demo, I think the control scheme is going to be a hindrance only if you're trying to micromanage the units to the same extent you have to in Starcraft. The key to winning in Halo Wars is to set up your engagements so that the unit AIs will do their things the right way. Halo Wars will never be Starcraft, and I doubt it'll ever become as competitive as that venerable warhorse of the RTS genre, but the key to an RTS's play doesn't always have to be measured in clicks-per-second multitasking.

I think this is going to be a matter of personal preference, to be honest.

-- Steve

edited to add: I can only comment on the written review at the moment, as I can't see video on this old clunker. I'll reserve comment on the video review until I can get to a computer with a bigger hamster wheel inside.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I love these reviews, nice calm and to the point. Halo wars isn't bad but its to much like Command and Conquer, keep the reviews coming.

Why can't we all get along?

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
ceforga said:
Eipok Kruden said:
ceforga said:

Well, I know the entire Halo storyline, but I'm not the kind of brainless fanboy that will flame anyone and everyone that says Halo sucks. People are entitled to their opinions. I'm not gonna hold Jordan's hatred of and unfamiliarity with gamepads against him.
I don't know, it's hard to find at least one Halo fan non fanboy.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Abedeus said:
Or just game helps you getting headshots by making hitboxes a bit bigger. You know, so you dont have to aim that precisely for the same effect.

Also, headshotting AI isn't that hard.
Is it really that implausible to you that aiming with a TV remote isn't more efficient and easier than using a mouse? It's practically the same act.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
L.B. Jeffries said:
I know.....glitches and all the james bond game showed me how easy sniping can be.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
Is it really that implausible to you that aiming with a TV remote isn't more efficient and easier than using a mouse? It's practically the same act.
The main difference is how you hold the device. Aiming at the TV with a wii remote generally precludes resting it on a surface, and a lot of the movement is wrist movement, rather than forearm/finger movement as with mouse controls. Depending on your muscle memory and general familiarity with the control scheme, you might well find one easier than the other.

That said, I didn't have significant trouble with aiming in Red Steel, but it was nowhere near as precise as when I used to regularly play PC FPS's and was the official headshot demon with Half-Life's crossbow on our LAN games.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I really enjoyed the demo of Halo wars and I am an RTS junkie too, I however have never played a single Halo game except this one and I cant aim for toffee with a 360 remote. However I did notice something with the AI skirmish game even at the highest difficulty you cannot loose if you take the right steps. The method is the same no matter how hard the AI setting an will always lead to a victory. So that isnt great but thats the only problem I have found.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
RTS is about speed and micro managing. You simply cannot do it, or it has not been proven you can on any console RTS games. The demo is alright but I play RTS's for the players not the single player campaign.

Ehhh.. I'll wait on picking up this one. Too many other games to play and I would prefer a PC port.

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
It's not a question of whether an RTS would be "better" on a PC - that's pretty much a given. First-person shooters are easier to control with a mouse and keyboard as well, but that fact hasn't stopped me from enjoying about a decade's worth of console FPSs. The question is whether a gamepad is "good enough" to feel like you have an adequate sense of control over the action in an RTS, and in my experience, it isn't.

I can understand that. I can even understand you focusing on that because for you that's the deal-breaker, but why didn't you cover the things the people playing it would want/need to know? I mean, you do understand a lot of people plan to play this game regardless of whether or not Halo Wars solves the "RTS On a Console" problem, right? So where's the information on in-depth strategy, what makes the leaders different or even how good the campaign is? Why not talk about the question of how well the game will be supported with the new Robot Entertainment over the old Ensemble Studios? These are basic questions that probably should've been answered in this review.

It just seems less like an actual review and more like the review supplement for Susan Arndt's video supplement. The video went into more detail on the actual game than you did.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Huh, you might be on to something, but is it a genre that Wii owners want?
I'm a wii owner, and it sounds cool.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Let me get this straight: an RTS made exclusively for a console? I am lost for words at the idiocy of Microsoft. Not only have they resurfaced all those ideas that were scratched from the original but they ALSO stick to the tradition of promoting their only console because enough stuff is on the PC already? I don't think this bastard-child of all bad ideas is getting anywhere to be honest.

It doesn't look great, has a bad control set, and xbox360 only. I give it the thumbs down.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I recall an interview with Bungie along time ago (pre Halo 1 release) where the developers were originally envisioning Halo as an RTS. Of course this was before the company was bought out by Microsoft and their product made the flagship of a whole console line. If this ever gets released on the PC I hope Bungie does an adequate port. The Halo 1 PC port was less than satisfying.

SuperPartyRobot

Jan 21, 2009
I'm actually surprised MS didn't release the collector's edition with a compatible MS keyboard and mouse and charge $200 for it. I'm sure tons of folks would have bought it.

A game, a mouse, a keyboard and some add on content for the price of the console. Sounds about rightfor MS.

Just like the USB wireless adapter that costs half the price of the console. AWESOME!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
hamster mk 4 said:
I recall an interview with Bungie along time ago (pre Halo 1 release) where the developers were originally envisioning Halo as an RTS. Of course this was before the company was bought out by Microsoft and their product made the flagship of a whole console line. If this ever gets released on the PC I hope Bungie does an adequate port. The Halo 1 PC port was less than satisfying.
Bungie actually had very little to do with this title. The game was developed by Ensemble Studios, most known for the Age of Empires series.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
palmcrusher said:
ok first of all i dont play halo secondly im guessing that you havent played halo wars

i like it but im taking an a guess here and saying people like the above quote havent played it and simply want to bash it cause its halo or bash it because its a console rts

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
SirSchmoopy said:
RTS is about speed and micro managing. You simply cannot do it, or it has not been proven you can on any console RTS games. The demo is alright but I play RTS's for the players not the single player campaign.

Ehhh.. I'll wait on picking up this one. Too many other games to play and I would prefer a PC port.
no an rts is about tactics you dont need to tell your soldiers to throw a grenade because they should without you telling them to

Link55557

Feb 20, 2009
As someone born and raised on PC RTS games (Starcraft 2 BETTER NOT SUCK), I found this to be entirely playable. The controls worked well and I hardly noticed that the xbox controller was there. It felt natural, like a keyboard and mouse.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
PauL o_O said:
The video isn't playing for me... :(
Video Help [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/help] if that doesn't help there is a contact link to get in touch with out Tech Dept.

Evil Scotsman

Dec 1, 2008
Bling Cat said:
Jordan Deam said:
For a series that probably never had an RTS in mind, the standard roster of Covenant and UNSC units are well adapted to this style of gameplay.
Actually, Halo CE was originally an RTS for the Mac, then Microsoft got it and Bungie decided to change it to an FPS.
o0 can u prove this?

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
It's not a question of whether an RTS would be "better" on a PC - that's pretty much a given.
true, but you also said "Halo Wars will probably make for a decent PC RTS someday if Microsoft decides to port it" as your bottom line, which not only disregards everything else in the game to sum it up, but ironically answers that very question.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Evil Scotsman said:
Bling Cat said:
Jordan Deam said:
o0 can u prove this?
There's footage of early test of Halo in its very early RTS form in the documentary "The Evolution of Halo" [http://www.bungie.org/evolutionlargemirrors/], narrated by Bungie staff. (Link goes to a list of mirror sites for downloading. The video is rather large; sorry, I don't have a link to a streaming version.)

-- Steve

Evil Scotsman

Dec 1, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Evil Scotsman said:
Bling Cat said:
Jordan Deam said:
o0 can u prove this?
There's footage of early test of Halo in its very early RTS form in the documentary "The Evolution of Halo" [http://www.bungie.org/evolutionlargemirrors/], narrated by Bungie staff. (Link goes to a list of mirror sites for downloading. The video is rather large; sorry, I don't have a link to a streaming version.)

-- Steve
thanks

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
Personally I won't be buying the game, I played the demo and enjoyed it but I can never get into console RTS

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
KamikazeSailor said:

Ok, whats your opinion on the Stormrise control scheme then? Instead of trying to replicate the PC RTS experience with a controller, its building an experience around a controller that can still be called an RTS.

No, I am not going to shut up about this game. I think its a crying shame that an Australian studio, aided by Sega, manages to come up with a concept that can sidestep the problems with a console RTS so well, and is inevitably ignored by two thirds of the market, overshadowed by Halo Wars name and Dawn of War II's, well, everything. The only people I see actually making some noise about this game are Ps3 magazines (No, its not an exclusive, its on the Ps3, the PC and the 360).

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Ok, whats your opinion on the Stormrise control scheme then? Instead of trying to replicate the PC RTS experience with a controller, its building an experience around a controller that can still be called an RTS.
To me at least it seems like Stormrise is doing pretty much the same thing as Halo Wars (which is to say, creating a game around a control scheme) but with a Tactics RTS (think Total War) rather than a Traditional RTS (think Age of Empires).

clauwman

Jan 31, 2009
I was actually thinking about giving this a try since the last RTS I played was AoE 2.
I'm glad I did my research first....

shame.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
The best compliment I can give Halo Wars is that it proved to me, conclusively, that there will never be a console RTS worth playing.
This line frustrates me no end- but it's not the fault of the reviewer. Halo Wars has been billed as the definitive RTS console experience, and, as you can see, it is being received as such. But that is simply not fair to games like BFMEII and RA3. Halo Wars is the worst RTS on the 360 by a huge margin.

Battle for Middle Earth II was a great game on the PC. The Xbox version, admittedly, was a bad port. It didn't run well and it left out key features. But the controls were fine for console players, who are apparently far more adroit than their PC counterparts. This is my favorite console RTS.

But the real prize goes to RA3, which is a damn good console RTS. Although not my favorite, it includes all the features included with the PC, including a smooth-as-glass frame-rate. And the controls, like those of BFMEII, work. I will never claim they are as good as a mouse and keyboard, but given a half-hour adjustment period, they're fine.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
susan, just so you know, halo was meant to be an RTS in the first place, they had to change it for some reason to FPS

also, the video review was better, the written review was just "needs a mouse and keyboard"

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Abedeus said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Wouldn't the correct answer to the question of 'Which control method is better?' be something like "Whatever works for you"? I mean, the Wii remote seems like a pretty decent way to play an FPS, but I prefer keyboard and mouse because I grew up playing FPS games with that. But I know people that do pretty damn well as FPSs with a controller, though I suck. It really boils down to what you prefer, what you're used to and what you're good with.

Amirite, L.B?

KamikazeSailor said:

Well, shit. Jordan's gone and offended the military journalist by not answering unasked questions. How about this? Show us your own review of the game. We're all waiting to see if your own journalistic prowess can be deemed acceptable or not.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
lizards said:
SirSchmoopy said:

no an rts is about tactics you dont need to tell your soldiers to throw a grenade because they should without you telling them to
Well the grenades on this game are fairly powerful, so if every soildier threw them automatically it would completely ruin any balance. This is certainly a game that needs player-interaction such as throwing grenades, or other special abilities, to make up for the fact you can't directly micro-manage (thats the furthest it goes) or play as tactically as it may be possible on PC RTS's.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Huh, they made a RTS for a console, thats just weird.

palmcrusher said:
*sigh* please refrane from making comments about a game tell you've played it. it's one of my pet peves. Yes the game may be awful, but untill you play it you shouldent assume it.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I honestly don't see why people think RTS controls are better on PC, I feel more comfortable with a controller than hunchbacked over a keyboard with my fingers flying about it like a riddelin-junkie having a seizure. I don't see anything that a mouse can do any better than the left thumbstick, It's not like mouses can move in an extra dimension or something.

Halo Wars was designed from the ground up FOR the console, and any PC port it had would be shit.

Mr. Moose

Oct 3, 2008
palmcrusher said:
Have you even played the demo you dumb fuck?

The movement is swift and FAST.

The reviewer OBVIOUSLY knows nothing of what he talks of

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
To the PC gamers asking why they Won't get Halo Wars:

Bungie and the late Ensemble made it as an attempt to revolutionize the RTS genre so that it would work on Consoles. Whether or not it fails (which I'm geussing it won't since it has HALO in the title) bringing it to PC would go against the point.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Mr. Moose said:
palmcrusher said:
Have you even played the demo you dumb fuck?

The movement is swift and FAST.

The reviewer OBVIOUSLY knows nothing of what he talks of
I played the Demo, and I must agree with you. It was much more fast-paced than other RTS's I've played.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Darkjigglypuff said:
I honestly don't see why people think RTS controls are better on PC, I feel more comfortable with a controller than hunchbacked over a keyboard with my fingers flying about it like a riddelin-junkie having a seizure. I don't see anything that a mouse can do any better than the left thumbstick, It's not like mouses can move in an extra dimension or something.

Halo Wars was designed from the ground up FOR the console, and any PC port it had would be shit.
How many RTS games have you actually ever played on PC? Have you played any? Do you have any idea of how to play them? Do you know how to spell ritalin? I play quite a few RTS games, and there is no sitting hunch-backed, no fingers flying and no ritalin. In fact, there's usually very little use of hotkeys at all in most RTS games.

It's actually very simple - the mouse provides a greater degree of precision, and allows for quicker selection of troops as well as a smaller stopping point when you need to navigate. Coupled with keyboard hot-keys, it makes a simple and quick way to play RTS games.

Educate yourself before you make wide assumptions on how certain games are played and stereotypes on who plays them.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
D_987 said:
lizards said:
SirSchmoopy said:

Well the grenades on this game are fairly powerful, so if every soildier threw them automatically it would completely ruin any balance. This is certainly a game that needs player-interaction such as throwing grenades, or other special abilities, to make up for the fact you can't directly micro-manage (thats the furthest it goes) or play as tactically as it may be possible on PC RTS's.
that was just an "top of the head" thing besides yes i still think that grenades and that sort of thing should fire on its own but most need to be completly toned down

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I was watching my roommate play it on his 360 and thought it might actually work. The controls aren't as complex as I'd thought they'd be. I think I'll try the demo myself before I buy it.

Acidburn50

Jan 13, 2009
I don't want to sound mean with what I'm about to say so please understand i mean this in the nicest way possible, and I only have the good name of the escapist in mind when i say this but hear me out. I was shocked and appauled when I listened to the review of halo wars made by "Jordan Deam". However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything. It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general. I realize that your site subscribes to cynicism... case in point Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Honestly though I feel like one is enough and if you want a sarcastic review of games then please just leave it up to him because he is at the very least FUNNY! She just sounds dry and lonely. Taking a step backwards to a previous statement I once again find myself wondering if she has even ever played an RTS before because if she was even the slightest fan of the genre she would realize that they are nearly impossible to bring to the console and that is what makes Ensembles efforts so profound. First of all a Xbox 360 controller has 13 buttons and thats if you include the start and select buttons and also take into account the ability to click both joysticks. This being very different from a pc which has afull keyboard consisting of roughly 80 keys which depending on the game in question can all be used to set whatever macro you can dream of. That being the biggest thing which sets the two platforms apart I am brought to my next point. You could literally count the number of REAL TIME STRATEGY games made for the 360 on ONE HAND! The fact that Ensemble had the abbility to not only bring a major franchise into an entriely new genre which has everyone excited but do that in such a beautiful way with such fluent controls that do nothing but support gameplay no matter how you look at it. I am not just a Halo fanboy who feels the need to defend halo every time someones opinions differ from that of my own my only real argument is that a site with so many good things to offer should not let some dull little Troll cowering behind a mouse and keyboard with no real grasp on what fun is and how that equivelates to video games go anywhere near your sites reviews because up and untill this point I actually respected your sites reiviews very much and thought they wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction but now I have been proven so very very wrong. I will say that i wont be surprised if i get banned from the forms for some of what u have said but realize that I have only expressed myself in such a maner because I thought your site held itself in a much higher reguard.
-Sincerely, Dissapointed

Miniu

Feb 21, 2009
I cant believe that people think players are using whole keyboard when playing RTS games .
Usually you just need ctrl and 0-9 for groups and few keys for abilities if you play on average/high skill level.
It just mouse is whey better then gamepad if it comes to precision and speed so you dont need to sacrifice gameplay .

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
lizards said:
D_987 said:
lizards said:
SirSchmoopy said:

that was just an "top of the head" thing besides yes i still think that grenades and that sort of thing should fire on its own but most need to be completly toned down
Throwing grenades is a tactic.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
lizards said:
But if you don't suck you will tell them how, when and where to throw the grenade. Welcome to Micro Managing, it's how you win at big boy RTS.

Th3 Sh00ter

Jan 8, 2009
palmcrusher said:
Have you played the demo or are you just saying this from an expirence with another console RTS?

If you know what you are doing Halo Wars can be very fun. Dont bash on a game you have NEVER played.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I expect there to be a lot of people buying this game on release day then a week later them returning it. If that does happen I win the bet with my local game store.
Quite frankly I'll wait for a PC port because there is no way I'm going to play this with the 360's horrible D-Pad.

FrozenroadkiIl

Feb 20, 2009
the writen reveiw was just a bash on counsle RTS but i played halo wars and had no promblem managing large amounts of troops but that's just me video supplement was better

FrozenroadkiIl

Feb 20, 2009
Darkjigglypuff said:

agreed

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Acidburn50 said:
However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything. It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general.
Really? She hates video games? You must have not watched he other reviews. Reality Check: Some games are bad and she gets stuck with them.
Acidburn50 said:
site with so many good things to offer should not let some dull little Troll cowering behind a mouse and keyboard with no real grasp on what fun is and how that equivelates to video games go anywhere near your sites reviews because up and untill this point I actually respected your sites reiviews very much and thought they wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction but now I have been proven so very very wrong.
Before you go calling her a Troll... Wait no, just no. You do not have the right to call her a troll especially since you only have 3 posts. I really hope you didn't mean that, because well you could call Yahtzee a troll and $50 says you don't call him a troll when he bashes a game you were really looking forward to.
Like Yahtzee says "reviews shouldn't get to you" It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
If we could get back to the main topic... Having only tried the demo, I have to admit, I rather enjoyed halo wars. Perhaps my problem is I don't play RTS games. at all. I only gave it a shot b/c its going to be a part of the halo storyline, I admit, I'm a bit of a halo fan boy, but I agree, the controls were sticky at best, but it was fun to mess around with, so maybe it should be looked at as an RTS for us console-tards rather than a legitimate attempt to make a "real" RTS... ah, who knows!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Bad review, and I'd like to think this more rhan the fanboy inside me speaking. No, wait, I can prove you didn't do your reasearch.

*facepalm*

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
hey, it's not as bad as some of you are making it out to be. for what it is, it's pretty good, and it works, although i agree that the controls will never be as good as a keyboard and mouse combo, for one, there is no Shift+Click command, which makes micro management quite difficult.

we still only have the demo in the UK, but it's pretty good. i know i'm going to buy a copy, because, as i said; for it is, it is pretty solid. it's pretty, and it works

Neosage

Nov 8, 2008
Having finally got round to playing the demo, I find it hard to believe you couldn't get used to the controls after 10-15 hours. The fact that I didn't even do the first mission is testimony to the simplicity of the controls(we started up the demo and nature called so I started at the begining of the second mission).Simple control scheme aside, I must find my own faults with the game, it does appear to be quite simple and with only 2 very similar races, I must say that there isn't much room for strategy, but a co-op story line? Amazing Cinematics? Excellent control scheme? Fantastic soundtrack? I will be picking this game up for certain.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Bad review, and I'd like to think this more rhan the fanboy inside me speaking. No, wait, I can prove you didn't do your reasearch.

*facepalm*
lol, pwned! Jordan doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Not even in the least. He probably hates consoles and halo which is why he hated the very thought of using a controller in an RTS and why he said something as stupid as that.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
"How many RTS games have you actually ever played on PC? Have you played any? Do you have any idea of how to play them? Do you know how to spell ritalin? I play quite a few RTS games, and there is no sitting hunch-backed, no fingers flying and no ritalin. In fact, there's usually very little use of hotkeys at all in most RTS games.

It's actually very simple - the mouse provides a greater degree of precision, and allows for quicker selection of troops as well as a smaller stopping point when you need to navigate. Coupled with keyboard hot-keys, it makes a simple and quick way to play RTS games.

Educate yourself before you make wide assumptions on how certain games are played and stereotypes on who plays them."

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Star Wars: Empire at War

Which are fun, and I have no problems with, but I personally feel more comfortable with a controller.

Also, thanks for pointing out that I misspeled a word. *cough*GrammarNazi*cough*

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

*facepalm*
lol, pwned! Jordan doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Not even in the least. He probably hates consoles and halo which is why he hated the very thought of using a controller in an RTS and why he said something as stupid as that.
I wouldn't go that far...

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Putting a(n?) RTS game on a console is a risky move anyways.

Call me a PC-elitist, but I don't see how people find a controller comfortable to use, especially if they were playing a strategy... good old mouse/board seem trusty enough.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Undead Dragon King said:
I've always said that RTS's are PC-only territory, and it seems that I'm now vindicated by Halo Wars.
You weren't vindicated by the N64 port of Starcraft?

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I'm tired of PC gamers playing console games and complaining that they're on a console. Am I the only one that realizes how incredibly stupid that is? Seriously, whenever a PC is mentioned in a review or post I automatically want to deduct fifty I.Q. points from the person writing it.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Just for the hell of it, i'm going to say...

BUMP. LOL.

anyway, getting the game early, I have to say, most of these points are correct. The controls are easy, but feels like you're missing a button or two, you have all the iconic halo units, but it feels like you're missing a certain unit, the story sucked, if you are a halo fan(which I am) dont play the campaign for the story, play it for the cinematics(sp), and to end my personal five second review, the AI seems pretty stupid sometimes...

even on Legendary, the AI will sometimes be a little thick.

Does it mean I hate the game? No. I very much enjoy it, and wish ES the best.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

*facepalm*
I wouldn't go that far...
Well, it seems like his only major gripe with the game was that it wasn't on the PC. He said he never really got the hang of the controls, not even after 15 hours. I (and many others) loved the controls and got really familiar with them after less than an hour. He's probably just not too familiar with the controller or he just doesn't want to enjoy it because he has the belief that RTS games can only be good with a mouse and keyboard.

Snidenightshade

Jun 5, 2008
Halo Wars looks simple for an rts on the 360 easy but then agian the computer is aswell. i have gotten the hang of the controlls after playing the demo i downloaded from xboxlive. the coverent are abit over powered with their scarbs if you can get 2 of em and an engineer. their will normaly highp it up on pc but not console i guess they wanted to do it a different way. base start layout is great no units to take the emeney base and a unit limmit. unit limmit i hate especaily when it comes to uber units. i reacon its gonna be a good game for the console.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Acidburn50 said:
However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything. It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general. I realize that your site subscribes to cynicism... case in point Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Honestly though I feel like one is enough and if you want a sarcastic review of games then please just leave it up to him because he is at the very least FUNNY! She just sounds dry and lonely. Taking a step backwards to a previous statement I once again find myself wondering if she has even ever played an RTS before because if she was even the slightest fan of the genre she would realize that they are nearly impossible to bring to the console and that is what makes Ensembles efforts so profound.
Um...you do realize that this isn't my review, right? Jordan wrote the script and the review, I simply narrated the video. As for not being able to find evidence of my being a fan of videogames in general, if you haven't found it, you haven't looked. Period.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Acidburn50 said:
However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything. It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general. I realize that your site subscribes to cynicism... case in point Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Honestly though I feel like one is enough and if you want a sarcastic review of games then please just leave it up to him because he is at the very least FUNNY! She just sounds dry and lonely. Taking a step backwards to a previous statement I once again find myself wondering if she has even ever played an RTS before because if she was even the slightest fan of the genre she would realize that they are nearly impossible to bring to the console and that is what makes Ensembles efforts so profound.
Um...you do realize that this isn't my review, right? Jordan wrote the script and the review, I simply narrated the video. As for not being able to find evidence of my being a fan of videogames in general, if you haven't found it, you haven't looked. Period.
Don't hate the narrator, hate the reviewer. Or better yet, don't hate.

Nov 6, 2007
Listen!

The game is not a bad CONSOLE RTS.
Halo was not a bad CONSOLE FPS.
Goldeneye was not a bad CONSOLE FPS.
BFME was not a bad CONSOLE RTS.

PC fanboys need to be aware that these games will not ruin your PC RTS' and FPS', and were made to port the experience of these games to the CONSOLE to open up a new market for developers and publishers to rake in some cash. CONSOLE fanboys need to be aware that PC gamers have been playing FPS' and RTS' for decades before you got your hands on a controller, and have already played games of these genres that will most likely be better than anything on consoles for a few years yet. Halo and Halo Wars have the same mission, which is to make the FPS and RTS experience on CONSOLE systems accessible to those who haven't played, or cannot play PC versions of those genres. Simplified versions of largely PC genres for consoles don't bother me in the least. Simplified versions of PC games for PC do. I'm looking at you Blizzard.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
This just seems like such a bizarre & pointless game.
I mean it looks like it might be fun for a while, but isn't it basically a less interesting Red Alert 2?
Watching that video was like taking a trip back in time.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
dogstile said:
susan, just so you know, halo was meant to be an RTS in the first place, they had to change it for some reason to FPS
Everybody keeps saying this, as if it means anything at all. It doesn't matter what a series began its life as - when its been changed to a different genre, it is conclusively native to that genre. Originally, the Boeing 747 was meant to be a heavy duty aerial combat vehicle - this doesn't mean that you could take a modern Boeing into a dogfight and expect anything positive.

Yes, i made that up, but the fact that it works as a hypothetical demonstrates my point.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Everybody keeps saying this, as if it means anything at all. It doesn't matter what a series began its life as - when its been changed to a different genre, it is conclusively native to that genre. Originally, the Boeing 747 was meant to be a heavy duty aerial combat vehicle - this doesn't mean that you could take a modern Boeing into a dogfight and expect anything positive.

Yes, i made that up, but the fact that it works as a hypothetical demonstrates my point.
I don't think anyone is saying it means anything. It just reflects on the reviewer when inaccuracies pop up, especially in the same breath as a criticism of a beloved franchise. Especially when the particular comment is not only vague and unqualified, but slightly nonsensical.

Don't get me wrong, I think Halo Wars is a bad game. I've even said it sets back the genre five years. I just want to see it criticized for the right reasons.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

I don't think anyone is saying it means anything. It just reflects on the reviewer when inaccuracies pop up, especially in the same breath as a criticism of a beloved franchise. Especially when the particular comment is not only vague and unqualified, but slightly nonsensical.

Don't get me wrong, I think Halo Wars is a bad game. I've even said it sets back the genre five years. I just want to see it criticized for the right reasons.
Then don't defend it for the wrong ones (or, better yet, at all). The universe of Halo is different to what it once was intended to be - the factions are not built to be balanced as an RTS, they're built to be skewed for an FPS perspective (i.e. the enemy are all powerful yet stupid enough to get slaughtered by one soldier in armour with no personality).

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Then don't defend it for the wrong ones (or, better yet, at all). The universe of Halo is different to what it once was intended to be - the factions are not built to be balanced as an RTS, they're built to be skewed for an FPS perspective (i.e. the enemy are all powerful yet stupid enough to get slaughtered by one soldier in armour with no personality).
Eh, sounds flimsy to me. I don't see why the relative abilities of the factions can't be skewed for the FPS perspective in one game and balanced for the RTS perspective in the next. And that argument, if applied in this case, must certainly be applied to all crossovers. Do you just not like crossovers, or is there something about Halo specifically that has not been mentioned yet? Is C&C: Renegade just as ill-advised?

L33t Marvin

Jan 22, 2009
See I liked better when it was going to be on pc but wth did they decided it to be on xbox360 i mean just picking your unit sounded hard they are retarded for making it a xbox360 exclusive i hope they will learn and release it on pc

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Eh, sounds flimsy to me. I don't see why the relative abilities of the factions can't be skewed for the FPS perspective in one game and balanced for the RTS perspective in the next. And that argument, if applied in this case, must certainly be applied to all crossovers. Do you just not like crossovers, or is there something about Halo specifically that has not been mentioned yet? Is C&C: Renegade just as ill-advised?
Its just specifically that direction, pulling out from a one-soldier-can-win-this-war perspective to a we-need-every-man perspective. The other direction is perfectly valid, though, as they ussually work to retain the feeling of the impact of others.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
dogstile said:

my point was that susan said in her review that halo wars was probably never meant to be an RTS

don't have wild rage fits about it

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
dogstile said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
dogstile said:

my point was that susan said in her review that halo wars was probably never meant to be an RTS

And again, I point out, it's not my review. It's Jordan's.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
dogstile said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
dogstile said:

And again, I point out, it's not my review. It's Jordan's.
then i apologise. sorry about that

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
The wonderful thing about demos is that you can play in the sand for no cost, and if you like it you can buy the whole sandbox. It's very very obvious that the entire argument of this review is that Halo Wars' controls = teh badzz!!1. That argument can be supported or disproved based on playing the demo yourself. It's free and available for anyone to try.

I've played the demo myself and I haven't been disappointed so far. The controls have been very intuitive so far with neat innovations like the selection wheel. The units are balanced out well and there aren't any over powered units are tactics I've found yet. The game is not by any stretch, terrible.

Give the demo a try before you start brandishing your pitchforks.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Its just specifically that direction, pulling out from a one-soldier-can-win-this-war perspective to a we-need-every-man perspective. The other direction is perfectly valid, though, as they ussually work to retain the feeling of the impact of others.
Well, since Halo Wars is set 20 years before Master Chief is 'the last Spartan', it seems perfectly reasonable to have a different setup between the two forces. Especially since the UNSC and the Covenant were always meant to be fairly equal at combat on the ground, it's just the Covenant win because of their greater numbers and superiorioty in space combat.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Oh dear - it appears the Escapists newest advertisers didn't read the review. Here's hoping The Escapist has their intergrity

Kevin7557

May 31, 2008
Clearly the person they had write this review shouldn't have wrote the review as they don't like concol RTSs. I played the demo and my only disagreement was that it was hard to select single troops. I played Command and Conquer 3 that was harder to play than this. This game plays smoothly and easily and I enjoyed the game whole heartedly and found no problem with the controller. If you don't like concol RTSs don't review concol RTSs. Especially when StormRise comes out.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
It is true that RTS games are better on the PC. I would never want to even try to play frozen throne on any console.
But putting that aside, Halo Wars isn't a bad game.
I decided to try the demo, just to check it out, and I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be. Sure, it's no keyboard and mouse, but it's way easier to play than the console version of the command and conquer games.
The flaws I saw in the game were the very low unit cap and the units that are totally unrelated to the game/book series. I'm not a halo fan, but I still they should at least have the decency to keep to the roots of the series.
Regardless of this review or the people commenting on it, I am going to buy this game and will enjoy it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
Godammit, when will people learn, that if an RTS is on a console, it will never be the best it can be. Halo Wars is a good game, but without selection boxes or proper unit toggling things can become very frustrating. If you can plug a keyboard into a 360, then why can't they make it so you can plug a mouse into it?

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
You would think it would work really well for TPS.

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Godammit, when will people learn, that if an RTS is on a console, it will never be the best it can be. Halo Wars is a good game, but without selection boxes or proper unit toggling things can become very frustrating. If you can plug a keyboard into a 360, then why can't they make it so you can plug a mouse into it?
You can use both... a la Final Fantasy XI, which allowed for both Keyboard and Mouse support on the 360... as well as other third-party games...

The point Microsoft wants to make is "If you want a keyboard/mouse, play on a PC. If you want a controller play on the Xbox." So they don't allow for keyboards/mice in most of their games.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Acidburn50 said:
However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything.

It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general. I realize that your site subscribes to cynicism... case in point Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Honestly though I feel like one is enough and if you want a sarcastic review of games then please just leave it up to him because he is at the very least FUNNY! She just sounds dry and lonely.

Taking a step backwards to a previous statement I once again find myself wondering if she has even ever played an RTS before because if she was even the slightest fan of the genre she would realize that they are nearly impossible to bring to the console and that is what makes Ensembles efforts so profound.

First of all a Xbox 360 controller has 13 buttons and thats if you include the start and select buttons and also take into account the ability to click both joysticks. This being very different from a pc which has afull keyboard consisting of roughly 80 keys which depending on the game in question can all be used to set whatever macro you can dream of.
That being the biggest thing which sets the two platforms apart I am brought to my next point. You could literally count the number of REAL TIME STRATEGY games made for the 360 on ONE HAND! The fact that Ensemble had the abbility to not only bring a major franchise into an entriely new genre which has everyone excited but do that in such a beautiful way with such fluent controls that do nothing but support gameplay no matter how you look at it.

I am not just a Halo fanboy who feels the need to defend halo every time someones opinions differ from that of my own my only real argument is that a site with so many good things to offer should not let some dull little Troll cowering behind a mouse and keyboard with no real grasp on what fun is and how that equivelates to video games go anywhere near your sites reviews because up and untill this point I actually respected your sites reiviews very much and thought they wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction but now I have been proven so very very wrong.
First of all: I edited your wall of ignorance text so it was coherent.

Second of all: A good review doesn't automatically mean it will agree with your opinion. Jordan, among others (Myself included) didn't think the game was that great. Speaking for myself for a moment: As a longtime fan of RTS games, I found it to be a shallow and very forgettable RTS. The controls were terrible, and if controlling the game sucks, the game won't be very fun to play. The only reason this game will sell well is because of the Halo name. That's it. People will put up with shit if it's got a brand name they like, and this game is no exception. And who cares how many RTS games there are on the console? That doesn't make this good! Even if it was the ONLY one, it would still have crappy controls and forgettable gameplay. Get over it.

Third: Where do you get off calling Susan a troll? No-one is forcing you to agree with the review, and many people here have stated how they enjoy the game. Fine. But to call a MOD a troll? Because she read a script that she didn't write about a game you're so horny for? Are you 7 years old?

Seriously, this is ridiculous. This is like the mail-bag showdown of ZP when he didn't like Smash Bros. It's a freaking game, get over it. You liked it? Fine! Like it then. But to come on here and personally insult the reviewer person who read the script for the reviewer because you didn't like the review? Get over yourself. Ensemble Studios isn't watching with their breath held while you ride in like some knight to save the day from the bad reviewer. They just want your money. Shuttup.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Never say never. I am sure there is a way to bring the RTS onto console in a meaningful way, I just haven't seen it done so far. Endwar was onto something with voice commands though.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Real Time Strategy continues to experiment with console controllers, it's still no good than the mouse.

Exadon

Feb 2, 2009
This review is crap. Honestly?how could anyone have a hard time with the control system. There are mass amount of reviews that are bashing this game just because there is no mouse or keyboard without even playing the game.

The controls are simple. Simple simple simple. All my friends who picked this up (most of them FPS fans, some RTS fans) had no problems with the controls.

I have been a huge RTS fan since starcraft, if you liked starcraft ? you may be slightly disappointed with the set base locations?

That said, the rest is great. Play the demo and see how you like it (make sure to check out the skrimrage)

Exadon

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Ensemble Studios isn't watching with their breath held while you ride in like some knight to save the day from the bad reviewer. They just want your money. Shuttup.
Clearly they are not...since Ensemble studios is no more.

Serenius

Jan 12, 2009
This review was utter shit and imparted no useful information outside of the trite console vs. PC argument. Rabble, rabble, rabble, RTS without a mouse, rabble, rabble, rabble, would be better with mouse & keyboard. Congratulations, Sherlock, your mastery of the obvious is outstanding.

For a snob-nosed PC RTS elitist, I find it incredulous that you were so hung up on the tired mouse/keyboard diatribe to miss that the focus of the strategy in the game is base management, and high-level strategy. Pretty easy adjustment to make once you've played for 5 minutes and realize that the AI takes care of the majority of the combat work for you. Maybe I'm off-base in that assumption, but your failure as a reviewer was mentioning it if you did manage to connect the dots.

Maybe if you had taken two seconds to get off your mouse & keyboard soapbox, you could have pointed out some actual flaws with the game, such as frustrating pathing with large vehicles, or the inability to use the L-trigger to go backwards in unit selection when multiple unit types are selected.

The statement "For a series that probably never had an RTS in mind" just shows how laughable your ignorance is, since the original Halo was intended to be a Mac RTS (something I imagine has probably been said many times in this thread already). Here's a helpful hint that real reviewers follow: If you're going to pompously pontificate your opinion, make sure you know what the hell you're talking about before eschewing it to the masses.

Has the Escapist done their hiring of reviewers rejected by IGN? At least when I go there to read reviews, the staff uses their review space to do an actual review instead of a poor attempt to parrot Yahtzee's colorful, tangential rants.

There are plenty of things to write a hate speech about when reviewing this game. It's a pity you failed to include a single one in this pathetic sham of a review.

palmcrusher

Jun 13, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Huh, they made a RTS for a console, thats just weird.

palmcrusher said:
*sigh* please refrane from making comments about a game tell you've played it. it's one of my pet peves. Yes the game may be awful, but untill you play it you shouldent assume it.
people can shut up about me supposedly not playing the game. i have infact played it and it was horrible so stop QQing about how its a shitty game with halo slapped on the front to disguise it and get it more sales.

BLa5ter NZ

Jul 22, 2009
I love halo wars, the controls are just perfect, a little frustrating at times but perfectly playable, I do prefer PC RTS like Supreme Commander, but Halo wars is the only RTS that works on a console well. Its fast easy to learn and an all round fun experience with games lasting between 5 mins to 4 hours. Its the way to go if you dont want to spend 3 days just trying to beat one game

The bottom line; its fun thats what games are about right?