Review: Halo Wars

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This isn't so much a bash of Halo Wars itself, but...
Why the hell would I want to play an RTS game on a console?
Mouse + keyboard is still far superior to the controller, especially in RTS and FPS games.

Now, as for Halo Wars: Sounds like a step backwards. The modular base design sounds a lot like Battle for Middle Earth 1 while the similar units goes back even further, to games like Warcraft 2.
Will there be a PC port/demo? I might try it out just for the heck of it.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Hmmm, makes you wonder if the Wiimote is any better suited for the job. I've been amazed how much easier it is to aim with the thing in an FPS.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I've always said that RTS's are PC-only territory, and it seems that I'm now vindicated by Halo Wars. I see no reason why Microsoft couldn't adapt it to PC's. In fact, they should do it now. Only then will I get Halo Wars.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
Hmmm, makes you wonder if the Wiimote is any better suited for the job. I've been amazed how much easier it is to aim with the thing in an FPS.
Huh, you might be on to something, but is it a genre that Wii owners want?

I'm surprised that more RTSs haven't come to the PS3, with it's mouse and keyboard support, it seems to be a no-brainer for me. Hopefully Red Alert 3 will support the use of a mouse/keyboard combo, it'll be a must have for me if it does.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Still not as good as with a mouse.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I was afraid of this kind of review... well not really AFRAID: it's not like I made the game, but I was considering getting it eventually. But maybe I still will. The demo didn't seem to be too annoying in terms of controls. Maybe it's because I spent some time with that LotR RTS game on the 360, but the thumbstick / trigger combo worked pretty well in my opinion.

Maybe console RTS games are for people who just downright suck at their PC equivalents... like me.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I have to say Jordan, playing console game is an exercise in patience until you are properly familiar with the controls. And it seems like you're not one for hotkeys, PC RTS's are amazingly complex if you plan on using hotkeys but they have the dumb luck to be built on top of the simplest control interface ever devised by man.

Anyway my point is, a hard to master control scheme is hardly a good reason to condemn a game. I'm sure you remember Goldeneye.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Abedeus said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I dunno, this is going to just become an opinion argument but I found it way easier to make headshots while moving using the Wiimote. Obviously there isn't a game to test this out in multiplayer yet but it's really, really easy to play an FPS with the Wii.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Abedeus said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I dunno, this is going to just become an opinion argument but I found it way easier to make headshots while moving using the Wiimote. Obviously there isn't a game to test this out in multiplayer yet but it's really, really easy to play an FPS with the Wii.
How to say it... Maybe it's just that the games are easier to get headshots in?

palmcrusher

Jun 13, 2008
God this game is a joke. You cant play rts on consoles. You need the precision of a mouse and the speed of a keyboard for the game to not insanely slow and boring. This game would fail hard if it didn't have halo plastered on the cover to lure all the fan boys into a crap ass game.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
So far my only complaint is that there is no way to group units; y'know, designating my two marine riflemen and flamethrower units with a my two tanks, so I can easily quickly re-select them to have them relocate and move onto their next objective.

Also, it was good to hear Susan's dulcet tones again.

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
This is a pretty bad review.

You don't really mention anything about what makes Halo Wars bad except that it doesn't live up to the PC. Well, no RTS game on a console can live up to the PC and I wish you hadn't dwelled on that fact for the entire stinking time. Especially considering this game does a lot more in making the controls easy and intituitive than other RTS games on the console have, since they've all been ports.

You mention modular bases, but Halo Wars isn't the first to use this fixed base system. Battle for Middle-Earth I did as well and I'm sure there are others. It has less to do with the system's capabilities and more to how they wanted to steer the focus of the game to combat versus economy.

There are problems with Halo Wars, a lack of depth in the unit selection, certain essential abilities are missing (like the ability to create groups or attack-move), the lack of appropriate factions and other things... but you didn't mention those. You mentioned "Halo Wars sucks cause it's not on PC." I'm not denying that you like consoles, but I am denying that you know anything about the RTS genre to have focused so little on what an RTS player wants to hear.

Unacceptable to me. The Escapist screwed the pooch with this review.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I feel the problem with this review is that the you compare the game so often to a PC RTS you don't allow it to stand on its own merits. Its a console RTS - you should review it as such.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
ceforga said:
I've played the demo and it was a lot of fun {I've played plenty of real-time strategy games on the PC before Halo Wars} and the controls were very intuitive, almost as good as the mouse and keyboard. I'm going to buy Halo Wars when it comes out.

The game uses the 30 seconds of fun philosophy that Bungie uses in Halo CE and Halo 3, I don't know why no one notices the 30 seconds of fun stuff these days.
Yea, you and me both. I loved Halo Wars' controls. I played the demo for 3 days straight, just replaying that skirmish and trying out every possible tactic, playing around, just getting a feel for it. If it wasn't a Halo game, I'd probably have deleted the demo, but I didn't. I forced myself to play it for a few hours and after a while, I came to absolutely love its controls. I've played Starcraft, Dawn of War, Civ III and IV, Civ Revolution, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Fire Emblem, Star Wars: Empire At War and its expansion, Forces of Corruption, Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, etc... I think the games I like most in that list are Starcraft, Advance Wars (both games), and Star Wars: Empire At War (and its expansion).

[block of text]Now, Empire at War (which is my favorite) limits you in where you can build your bases. You have many different buildings like a barracks, light vehicle factory, heavy vehicle factory, advanced vehicle factory, Command Center, shield generator, research facility, sensor array, mining facility (neutral, must be captured and then built) and resource pads (neutral, must be captured and then built). They all do different things, allow production for different units, and give different upgrades, but their positions are all fixed. Before you start the skirmish (2-9 players, there's 3 factions in FoC, 2 in the original EAW), you can choose to have pre-built bases or not. If not, you have to use your starting units to capture resource pads to fund the creation of your base (if alone, but if you're in a large team, you'll easily have enough money to build all your buildings as soon as it starts. Also, players can give the rest of the team money if necessary). Turrets are also built from special build pads scattered around the map. Some are permanently controlled by a certain faction (like the ones defending the faction's base) and others are neutral (used to reinforce advancing units and push the front line forward. If any neutral structure is destroyed, it can be captured and built on). This doesn't make the game boring, it makes it faster paced and it opens up entirely new strategies. Halo Wars seems like a new and improved version of Empire At War for the consoles and it's set in the Halo universe. [/block of text]

I don't get what the fuss is about since I love SW: EAW and FoC, I love Halo, and I think Halo Wars' controls are great. I guess some people just like it and others just don't. Like the Halo series itself.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
KamikazeSailor said:
This is a pretty bad review.

You don't really mention anything about what makes Halo Wars bad except that it doesn't live up to the PC. Well, no RTS game on a console can live up to the PC and I wish you hadn't dwelled on that fact for the entire stinking time. Especially considering this game does a lot more in making the controls easy and intituitive than other RTS games on the console have, since they've all been ports.

You mention modular bases, but Halo Wars isn't the first to use this fixed base system. Battle for Middle-Earth I did as well and I'm sure there are others. It has less to do with the system's capabilities and more to how they wanted to steer the focus of the game to combat versus economy.

There are problems with Halo Wars, a lack of depth in the unit selection, certain essential abilities are missing (like the ability to create groups or attack-move), the lack of appropriate factions and other things... but you didn't mention those. You mentioned "Halo Wars sucks cause it's not on PC." I'm not denying that you like consoles, but I am denying that you know anything about the RTS genre to have focused so little on what an RTS player wants to hear.

Unacceptable to me. The Escapist screwed the pooch with this review.
QFT

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
The video review was much better at informing us about the game rather than the written one. I agree with everyone that the written review was just a complete bash to the RTS genre from PC to console and how the don't compare in the slightest. While the video review explored the aspects of the game itself, both its good and bad sides, in a much more through manner in about three minutes.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I actually had a lot of fun playing Halo Wars. I am an RTS junkie of old and even though the review definitely has some valid points, I still had a lot of fun playing it, especially on multiplayer. Since it can be up to 3v3, I think grabbing 2 of your friends and trying to wreck shop will still bring the FUN.

BTW...Jordan and I are tied and 1 win each going head-to-head. :)