Review: Heavy Rain

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Heavy Rain

So much of Heavy Rain is brilliant that you won't mind the parts that are broken.

Read Full Article

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I too was gravely upset at their pronunciation of the word Origami. From Origrami to Origamee and all the other ways some characters pronounced it inbetween. Good review, I really enjoyed hte game when I played it and even pulled an all nighter because the story hooked me in so well.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems to carry a heavy reminder of the Farenheit game they did...

I have to admit, I like the style and it is certainly fresh at least...kinda like a film where you are a main actor

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's it. I'm stealing a PS3 from some person and then buying this!

This. Game. Looks. Amazing.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I doubt I can be budged on how much I hate this game until I actually play it, which sound ridiculous I know.

But then, I'm screwed either way. If I do buy it, and hate it, I'll feel like an idiot. But, if I don't play it I won't be able to form a concrete opinion of it.

Maybe I should just steal it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sparrow said:
I doubt I can be budged on how much I hate this game until I actually play it, which sound ridiculous I know.

But then, I'm screwed either way. If I do buy it, and hate it, I'll feel like an idiot. But, if I don't play it I won't be able to form a concrete opinion of it.

Maybe I should just steal it.
I don't understand...why do you hate it?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I never really wanted a PS3 until now.

Even when I heard what Heavy Rain was about, I was leery. But now that I've seen it in action, I'm wondering how long I'd survive if one of my kidneys were to mysteriously disappear only to have some extra cash show up on my doorstep.

Damn you, Susan.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Hooray for the return of the FMV game, it's like the 90s all over again... except prettier

I for one will try to give this a look, one day at least

Wolfrug

Feb 11, 2009
Mlaargh. I've been waiting for this game since...well, since Fahrenheit. But of couuurse it's an exclusive. Ach. That means I have to wait for probably a few years, IF the game is a hit, before it's converted to the PC. So, all you PS3-users: get to buying so that they can eventually muscle in to the PC market!

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
You keep calling Norman 'Nathan' in the writeup. Might want to correct that.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
It's a great experience, but for a game in which story telling is central it has some major plot holes and stereotypical characters.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
This looks like one of the best games ever. I'd be happy just to sit back and watch somebody playing through it.

Unfortunately, it's an exclusive title, which means I won't be buying it. We can't all afford every console, and given the PS3's original price tag, I made my choice long ago. I can't shell out $300+ just for one or two exclusives.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
pluizig said:
You keep calling Norman 'Nathan' in the writeup. Might want to correct that.
Sonofa...I have some kind of bizarre mental block when it comes to him. I originally called him Nathan in the video, too. Thank you, imma go fix that now.

Clearly I have an Uncharted fixation.

LaochEire said:
It's a great experience, but for a game in which story telling is central it has some major plot holes and stereotypical characters.
That is true, but the overall experience is still an enjoyable one. I think that in a lesser game, the things we're complaining about wouldn't even come up...it's just that by contrast, the rest of Heavy Rain is so good that the flaws show up more dramatically.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Speaking from experience (I'm very close to the end of my first playthrough now), I agree 100% with this review. The game definitely has its flaws, and particularly those in the plot are more glaring because the plot is so central to this type of game, but it also honestly gave me some of the most emotionally intense moments I've ever experienced in a game. I honestly think they've invented a new type of game here, and I really hope they can expand and refine the underlying formula to tell more stories in this manner.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
LaochEire said:
That is true, but the overall experience is still an enjoyable one. I think that in a lesser game, the things we're complaining about wouldn't even come up...it's just that by contrast, the rest of Heavy Rain is so good that the flaws show up more dramatically.
I agree with you on that one. I also noticed it was extremely bugged as well. I didn't get the ending I would have like because of it, but like you say the pros outweigh the flaws.

Also, I can see why you mixed up Ethan with Nathan since they both look and sound alike.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Yeah this game is very good, enough where I forgive its flaws. Those flaws being some god aweful voice acting (every secondary character seemed to have a horrible voice actor), glitches (my first time through the game flat up froze on me three times before I beat the game), and occasionally annoying QTE (call me crazy but holding down four different buttons on my controller at once is not an easy task for me). The story hooked me, hard, and it's incredibly imersive, I found myself really thinking like the characters. Sure I COULD chicken out on this challenge, but Ethan wouldn't he'd do this crazy task because it means saving his son.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
This review captures the game perfectly. Sure the game has some flaws but I think a game that can make you look pass those flaws is even more beautiful. It truly shines even though it might be a little dirty.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
This game was excellent; I'm glad to have it in my collection.

I'm going to play through again with the intention of wasting every character in the most horrific manner possible.