Review: Heavy Rain

RNunez

Jul 19, 2009
This is my first time commenting on one of your reviews so I must first say that you have a voice that could soothe the heart of a thousand origami killers.

Now onward with my comment. I was quite happy to see that heavy rain managed not only to excel at refreshing the way a story could be told in a videogame, but it also cemented itself into the minds of critics and fans alike. I was in heavy anticipation of this game in part because it was made by Quantic Dream who also made Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (which I noticed other people have harken) making Heavy Rain somewhat of a spiritual successor. My hope was for Quantic Dream to no longer be known for "That game that was really good but fell to pieces 3/4ths of the way in" and revive itself with something as fantastic as it previous game attempted to be and I see that Heavy rain is just that.
Thank you for the review and thanks for your insights.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
RNunez said:
This is my first time commenting on one of your reviews so I must first say that you have a voice that could soothe the heart of a thousand origami killers.

Now onward with my comment. I was quite happy to see that heavy rain managed not only to excel at refreshing the way a story could be told in a videogame, but it also cemented itself into the minds of critics and fans alike. I was in heavy anticipation of this game in part because it was made by Quantic Dream who also made Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (which I noticed other people have harken) making Heavy Rain somewhat of a spiritual successor. My hope was for Quantic Dream to no longer be known for "That game that was really good but fell to pieces 3/4ths of the way in" and revive itself with something as fantastic as it previous game attempted to be and I see that Heavy rain is just that.
I specifically avoided mentioning Indigo Prophecy because I think Heavy Rain deserves to stand on its own merits. But it's worth noting the enormous leaps that Quantic Dream made from one game to the next. That, more than anything, is what makes me eagerly anticipate whatever QD does next. I hope they're given the chance to refine the game style even further. Heavy Dream is just this side of astounding. Given a bit more time, just imagine what QD could do.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Sparrow said:
I doubt I can be budged on how much I hate this game until I actually play it, which sound ridiculous I know.

But then, I'm screwed either way. If I do buy it, and hate it, I'll feel like an idiot. But, if I don't play it I won't be able to form a concrete opinion of it.

Maybe I should just steal it.
I don't understand...why do you hate it?
Well, in general, not a big fan of any console exclusives. I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360, and yet I still hate the very concept of the fact developers hold titles from other consoles for personal gain is well, dick-ish. I understand in most cases, it's different for the Wii.

The main reason is, well, I don't think this is the right game for a console (goes back on my previous point a bit, but meh). I actually think this game could fully operate with the use of a DVD remote. Everyone that reviews this says it's like "an interactive movie experience". Nobody ever goes straight to calling it a game.

I just don't understand why it couldn't function on something it's better suited to. Like... a blu-ray player.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sparrow said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sparrow said:
I doubt I can be budged on how much I hate this game until I actually play it, which sound ridiculous I know.

But then, I'm screwed either way. If I do buy it, and hate it, I'll feel like an idiot. But, if I don't play it I won't be able to form a concrete opinion of it.

Well, in general, not a big fan of any console exclusives in general. I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360, and yet I still hate the very concept of the fact developers hold titles from other consoles for personal gain is well, dick-ish. I understand in most cases, it's different for the Wii.

The main reason is, well, I don't think this is the right game for a console (goes back on my previous point a bit, but meh). I actually think this game could fully operate with the use of a DVD remote. Everyone that reviews this says it's like "an interactive movie experience". Nobody ever goes straight to calling it a game.

I just don't understand why it couldn't function on something it's better suited to. Like... a blu-ray player.
If you played it, you'd understand better. You need the range of movement that the joystick provides. You're still walking around in 3d space, something that wouldn't work as well on a DVD remote, for example. It would be possible to do a game like this on a Blu-ray player, but it wouldn't be nearly as good.

Now, Natal, on the other hand...that would be fascinating.

As for exclusives, it's not as though they're doing it out of spite, it's a matter of development teams (at least in this case...in other instances, it's a matter of being paid to be exclusive). If you have a large enough team to develop for more than one console, then that's marvelous, but if you don't, it's in your best interest to focus your attention on delivering the best experience you can for a single platform, whatever that platform may be. Quantic Dream just plain isn't big enough to develop for multiple platforms at once. Hardly "dickish" of them to want to make the best game they can with the resources at their disposal.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
I don't actually agree with the cons. Bad voice acting at times? It may be for someone from an English origin, but to me it was perfect. I barely had any bugs and my game never froze, in contradiction with what other players on the internet were reporting.

If I was reviewing this, I'd give it five stars. It is such an emotional experience that, even weeks after having finished it, I am still pondering over the fact who the Origami Killer is. One of the best games ever. Even though I didn't approve of his actions, I still had sympathy for his motives. Without spoiling anything: the Origami Killer has been through some tough crap.

People who are downsizing this game to an interactive movie with Quick Time Events don't have the slightest idea what Heavy Rain is really about, or are just jealous because they do not own a PS3. It's not about action, about graphics or about a cheap thrill. It's about involvement, the experience, the amazing story, the repercussions you create as a player and the way that Heavy Rain pulls out your heart and spreads the content over the table. And it exceeded all my expectations by far. Kudos to you, Quantic Dream. Kudos.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Sparrow said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sparrow said:

Well, in general, not a big fan of any console exclusives in general. I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360, and yet I still hate the very concept of the fact developers hold titles from other consoles for personal gain is well, dick-ish. I understand in most cases, it's different for the Wii.

If you played it, you'd understand better. You need the range of movement that the joystick provides. You're still walking around in 3d space, something that wouldn't work as well on a DVD remote, for example. It would be possible to do a game like this on a Blu-ray player, but it wouldn't be nearly as good.

As for exclusives, it's not as though they're doing it out of spite, it's a matter of development teams (at least in this case...in other instances, it's a matter of being paid to be exclusive). If you have a large enough team to develop for more than one console, then that's marvelous, but if you don't, it's in your best interest to focus your attention on delivering the best experience you can for a single platform, whatever that platform may be. Quantic Dream just plain isn't big enough to develop for multiple platforms at once. Hardly "dickish" of them to want to make the best game they can with the resources at their disposal.
Exactly why I need to play this game before my opinion is better than moot.

But, again, I don't want to buy a game on the basis of wanting to just prove a point.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sparrow said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sparrow said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sparrow said:

Exactly why I need to play this game before my opinion is better than moot.

But, again, I don't want to buy a game on the basis of wanting to just prove a point.
Sure, that makes sense. Rent or borrow, perhaps?

Benedict Wolfe

Mar 9, 2010
The reference sequence that ends the video is the single greatest moment of my time visiting The Escapist. Thank you, Susan. Thank you a thousand times!

RNunez

Jul 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
RNunez said:

I specifically avoided mentioning Indigo Prophecy because I think Heavy Rain deserves to stand on its own merits. But it's worth noting the enormous leaps that Quantic Dream made from one game to the next. That, more than anything, is what makes me eagerly anticipate whatever QD does next. I hope they're given the chance to refine the game style even further. Heavy Dream is just this side of astounding. Given a bit more time, just imagine what QD could do.
Agreed. Given enough time Quantic Dream could very well become a gamer household name. I like to think with the way people are upset with another big name French developer that will go unnamed, they have more room to expand. Also, rumor has it that the next game will be a sequel to Omikron, Omikron 2.

R1CK_D0M

Oct 28, 2008
The gameplay aside, if you make the wrong decisions, heavy rain can be the most depressing thing you'll play in a long time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is one of those games that I just can't quite like.

The way that even the smallest forms of interactivity draw you into the environment is always nagged by the at best okay and at worst laughable voice acting.

In a way Heavy Rain reminded me of the first Assassin's Creed: It's like playing an amazing game, but someone keeps jabbing you in the side with a pencil every few minutes.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PayJ567 said:
Not really a massive complaint but that spoiler at the end seemed massively uneccessary to put in... I mean the video wouldn't have been any worse if it was left out, only more people could have watched it.
Unless, of course, it isn't a spoiler. But then, maybe it is. Who knows?

There are other spoilers in the video that aren't obvious or important unless you're actually playing the game, thus the warning.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
One day, one day I shall play this title. Until then, I'll have to wait I guess.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Susan Arendt, thank you for this review of Heavy Rain. I have been trying to convince others to play this game ever since I finished my first playthrough. Got a buddy to play the first hour or so, now he's hooked. We need more games like Heavy Rain around, not in terms of gameplay or voice-over work, god no, but in terms of immersion. The sections with Ethan Mars had me on edge every single time, and when it was over I had to sit down and let what I had just done sink in. That is truly powerful interactive storytelling. Shine on you hard workers at the Escapist, and shine on Quantic Dream.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
RNunez said:

Heavy Dream? Nathan? What's next Susan? :p

I'm giving my brother this game as a birth day gift so I can play it soon. Yay for giving gifts you want yourself.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
If you watch the bonus featurettes that unlock after finished the game, you'll notice most if not all the voice actors are European forced to play different American accents. Which in my opinion accounts for 99% of the issues we have with the voice acting. Some times they slip into their native tongue and considering how many people they needed and budget, looks like they weren't asked to do it again.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Once you allow this game to get its hooks into you... that's it. Expect to spend every waking moment playing it. The story is one of the best written and best presented I may have seen. It is emotional and absorbing - so much so, I found myself yelling at the screen on several occasions. And if you're a parent, be prepared to gutted like a fish. The gameplay becomes intuitive and seamless in short order.

My only complaints are minor nit-picks; I would have liked to see more of some characters, the clothing models are a little stiff, and there can be continuality issues ('Umm... Sam has two bullet holes in him... maybe he should be going to a hospital next? Just saying.'). But beyond these, Heavy Rain is an engrossing wonder to behold.