Review: Infinity Blade

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Infinity Blade

Sometimes a game comes along that forces you to realign your way of thinking. Infinity Blade is one of them.

Read Full Article

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
A brilliant game to have on the side when playing something that involves long periods of waiting around. After a few nights of SC2 custom games, I'd mastered every single item in the entire game from the time spent sitting in the lobby.

spiritslayr

Smart AI
Oct 25, 2008
This game is pretty good but I wish they didn't have the mastering system on the equipment. Or at least they should have had the amount of points it takes increase exponentially. I'm now stuck at level 30 something because I've maxed the best armour and I need it to survive, so now I can't level up.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I got it for the iPad and as an RPG fan it is a great amount of fun. I've played it through several times now and it is still staying interesting. Plus, there is a large content update coming soon.

spiritslayr said:
This game is pretty good but I wish they didn't have the mastering system on the equipment. Or at least they should have had the amount of points it takes increase exponentially. I'm now stuck at level 30 something because I've maxed the best armour and I need it to survive, so now I can't level up.
You have master basically all of the items in the game to get to around level 45ish. I only have one sword not mastered and I do have the infinity blade mastered and I just hit 45.

spiritslayr

Smart AI
Oct 25, 2008
Destal said:
I got it for the iPad and as an RPG fan it is a great amount of fun. I've played it through several times now and it is still staying interesting. Plus, there is a large content update coming soon.

spiritslayr said:
You have master basically all of the items in the game to get to around level 45ish. I only have one sword not mastered and I do have the infinity blade mastered and I just hit 45.
Just checked my actual stats on the app and I'm level 37 but the average enemy is level 90. Problem is I got stuck on the same equipment for so long saving for the infinity sword that now the enemies are way to powerful to try changing my armour or shield let alone my sword.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
spiritslayr said:
Destal said:

spiritslayr said:
Just checked my actual stats on the app and I'm level 37 but the average enemy is level 90. Problem is I got stuck on the same equipment for so long saving for the infinity sword that now the enemies are way to powerful to try changing my armour or shield let alone my sword.
Practice parrying their attacks. There is no downside to a successful parry and the attacks are fairly easy to predict once you get used to parrying instead of blocking. The final boss is the only exception. He can be hard to parry in the third stage of fighting him.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
So it's a graphically updated version of Dragon Quest Swords: The Mask Queen and the Tower of Mirrors?

I liked it, but nobody else did. Seeing as how the description sounds almost identical to the game, with some slight adjustment... I'm not seeing this as a terribly positive thing for the 'hardcore' audience of iPhone users.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Not to be the pessimist here, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this is 'if this game were on a console being reviewed, the review would be mostly negative with the main argument being 'it's been done over 100+ times better before' and start comparing it to better games or games that it resembles. However, I'm guessing it is being viewed from the 'gosh I can't believe this is done on an iPad/iPod' perspective so it escapes being scrutinized.

I'm not bashing the game because it does seem to be an interesting game nor am I troll attacking this review or the reviewer; Mr. Pitts' reviews are cool. My point is that I've started noticing an opinion pattern with games released on major consoles vs games released *currently* non-mainstream device. If it's a game with common mechanics on a device and as long as it plays decently, it's considered a great game. Take the same game and put it on a console, it then becomes boring and lame.

I have a theory: take Afro Samurai the game. I thought it was decent but the problem is that its mechanics were dated. If it was released on the PS2 in its mid-season or before action games like God of War, it would have been received well. Now let's say it was not released on a major console. Let's say instead, it is about to be released soon on the iPad as gaming attention and potential are growing for it. Do you see where I'm going with this?

My name is Sir Buzz Killington and I approve this message.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
It's weird. On the iPhone, most games are just a dollar, which is an easy purchase. But when you bump it up to six dollars, suddenly I'm really wondering about whether or not the game is really worth it, even if in the end it's only five more dollars.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I personally was disappointed with the game. I really felt they sacrificed gameplay for graphical awesomeness. Sure it looked pretty, but compare it to that Epic Citadel demo they made. That had you free roaming around a large city which looked really cool. I think they should have scaled down the graphics to put in more gameplay.
After about 4 cycles, I got bored of the same fights every time.

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
Now I normally HATE griding with a passion, but infinity blade is great when your on the bus etc.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
I was going to buy this but the page said it was played best on one of the new gen ipods. I have an 8g from whatever gen 2 years ago was, would that still play it?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Bobzer77 said:
I was going to buy this but the page said it was played best on one of the new gen ipods. I have an 8g from whatever gen 2 years ago was, would that still play it?
It wont work on some of the older ipods so do your research first.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I saw this game on the app store a few days ago, and I thought it was some kind of elaborate hoax. I'm glad this review was here to show that this game is not only beautiful, but worth putting $5.99 into it.

But since we're on this topic, can you pretty please do a review of N.O.V.A. 2?

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
Callex said:
A brilliant game to have on the side when playing something that involves long periods of waiting around. After a few nights of SC2 custom games, I'd mastered every single item in the entire game from the time spent sitting in the lobby.
I was thinking of getting this for the exact same thing, some custom games just take so long to load these days, and pocket frogs just aint cutting it lol