Review: Jade Empire

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
*pines for Jade Empire II* I'm surprised that nobody mentioned one of my favorite features of Jade Empire - a simplified inventory system. I'm the type of person who enjoys futzing around with my stuff, but after a while, KOTOR drove me a little nuts with all the equipment and all the upgrades for all the equipment. I appreciated the attempt to get away from the "good/evil" alignment, even if they didn't succeed. I really wanted an honorable Closed Fist path, but as has been noted many times regarding many games, you still only get to chose between Noble Saint and Puppy-Stomping Asshole.

I would also consider Jade Empire to be the ancestor of Mass Effect, because it proved that BioWare could successfully integrate action into their RPGs, and that they could go with their own IPs and not remain shackled to the Lucas and Neverwinter franchises.

Oh well, it looks like Dragon Age is being resurrected in development, maybe if I'm a good girl and pray very, very hard, they will do a JE2.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Good review, you brought a couple flaws out that hit home. However I have to disagree with you when you say a limit in style progression is bad. Like said before, it makes you think about what kind of character you want to create.
Though I admit, when you started maxing one of your earlier skills it may be a pain when you near the end and get a brand new skill, which would have to be boosted severely before it would be of any use. This was compensated though with the fact that lower level progression of a style was cheap, so if you're high level you can boost your new style considerably in one go.

I loved the game, and I hope BioWare will come around to making a sequel one day. If not: not too big a deal, we'll always have the memories.

Altorin said:
I think your recounting of the number of styles is wrong.

4 martial styles
4 support styles
4 magic styles (of which any 1 character can learn 3, depending on alignment)
Sword style
Twin Axe style
Spear style
Gun style
about 4 different transformation styles

that's 20 styles

The game has a silly amount of depth in that department.
There's also a Double Blade style, for the ones who played through the arena in a certain manner.

EDIT: There are also more support styles than 4. Have you been to the Black Leopard School in the capital?

uk_john

Jan 1, 2007
I would say most of the problems of Jade Empire were the same as most of the problems in Mass Effect, and the same problems in most 'action-RPG's'of this type, that is that they fall between two camps. One is the deep RPG of Morrowind or Vampire Bloodlines, where because you can be so many characters you need a truly thought out world. In a simple example, you need a house that can be attacked from the front (warrior), snuck in from the back (thief), the ability to talk yourself in (speech skill) or hack your way through. All of these having to be fun. In action-RPG's you pretty much have the warrior character whether you want to or not. So whether in Jade Empire of Mass Effect, the fighting options were pretty linear in nature.

A true roleplaying game tends to have a sandbox world, an action game tends to be much more linear and structured. So when we get these two styles together, something jars.

The media, in it's supine position doesn't want see this and is therefore quite happy to still call these more action orientated games 'RPG's', when by historical standards they blatantly aren't. It has led gamers and the media to start calling games like STALKER RPG's, and any game that gives you an inventory of different armour and weapons! Mass Effect gave you in many ways an adventure game for the first 30% then a mixture of adventure and third person shooting, culminating in mostly shooting . Jade Empire, in it's own way, gave you a very light RPG with a heavy dose of arcade hand-to-hand combat. Both failed in many ways as a true RPG, and each were only slightly elevated by the action elements.

You could say that PC gaming is dying by the death of a 1,000 cuts. One was maybe for each genre lost, maybe another was going from Big Box to DVD case, and maybe another is the trend to have 'action; in every game now. Whether third or first person, with weapons or hands, with technology or magic, and anything that demands use of the brain a little more dropped. We are told resource gathering, base building, step-time, supply lines etc are now 'boring; in RTS games, leading to an RTS like World in Conflict that plays like a fast paced FPS! We get trends like Oblivion being a dumbed down Morrowind, Fallout 3 being a dumbed down Fallout 2 and GTA IV having much fewer RPG elements than San Andreas.

All these trends point toward more and more action games, and fewer adventure, RPG or simulation games, it points toward ever more shallow games with less gameplay (2009's Dead Space and Mirror's Edge (PC) both had under 12 hours of gameplay!) and dumber storylines and characters. In short, it's points towards ever lower AAA PC and video game sales and further growing interest in older games, whether through X-Box Live, Sony LIVE or through 10 million plus DOSBox downloads recently announced.

Times they are a-changing. When Bioware went from their Baldur's Gate's and Neverwinter Night's to their Jade Empire's and Mass Effects, a change was signalled. An these changes are now coming home to roost. First with the PC, and soon with the hardcore console machines 360 and PS3. There's a reason the Wii and DS are sweeping all before them. Hardcore isn't hardcore any more. Jade Empire wasn't hardcore anything.

Meta Like That

Jan 30, 2009
Hey Joe said:
Guest Review: Jade Empire

This precious lotus flower never fully blossoms, but it's still a sight to behold.

Read Full Article
This is a pretty bare-bones review and hence, not a totally true assessment of the game. You leave out quite a bit of information and whether or not you're referencing the PC or Xbox version.

You say there's four styles, but you don't say what they are, or whether the entire set is balanced. Like Arrakiv said, storm dragon, and also paralyzing palm, pretty much make combat a real cake-walk. However, the difficulty option lets you change the pace on the fly if its getting too hard or easy for you.

And two vital pieces of gameplay, the New Game + option and alignment system, if the player wants to go back and play with different dialogue choices, along with picking up styles and items they missed.

Not sure if bare-bones was what you were going for or what.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Why would feudal China be speaking with Cantonese? That makes as much sense as Shakespeare singing "Crank Dat."