Review: Just Cause 2

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Just Cause 2

Blowing stuff up for points gets a little old.

Read Full Article

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I remember I got half way through the main story and then learned about the beacons.

Needless to say, having 7 million dollars disposable cash, and a shit ton of weapon and veichle upgrades led to some serious fun.

Also, it's worth noting that the Black Market dealer drops a bunch of veichles as well, such as a effing fast jet, helicopter, attack helicopter, bike, sports car e.t.c. <- makes travelling easier. Just upgrade the jet, and you're set.
_____
OK after seeing the video now, it was disappointingly bad. Not your best one Greg.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Is it better or worse than the first one? I have the first but never finished it. I did like it but after a while repetition set in and I couldnt get back in to it.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
poiumty said:
It's worth mentioning that you can "extract" via the black market to any point on the map that you've discovered, but my problems with calling them didn't really encourage me to take advantage of that mechanic.
That's the whole point of NOT driving 2 kilometers to your destination: you can instantly fast-travel to any explored location via extraction. I don't know how buggy the beacon is on the xbox, but it worked just fine on the PC.

Also, i recommend the upgraded Silverbolt light airplane to make travelling not only fast, but hella fun.

As for repetition, i've finished the story mode and 36% of the game and i'm still not bored of blowing stuff up.
That's a plane?? Dammit I thought it was a jet car.

Think the games great for free roam but it does get kinda old clearing out bases again and again and there isn't alot of mission variety

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I really enjoyed the first Just Cause, going to see if I can pick this one up once I'm finished with GoW3

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Sorry, sounds like you got a tad bitter about the whole "Argh, travel" thing, purely because you didn't bother to learn to extract. If you actually used it, you would not be experiencing your SANDBOX TRAVEL RAGE.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
if there is anything i didn't like about the demo, it was the deaths and that woman - santoseeeeeee.
meh, i won't be able to buy the game anyway

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
All the negative ppoints are areas I pretty much agree with.

The black market especilly! Geez! Such a pain!

Also the occasiona Audio stutter is sometimes annoying..

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Judging from what reviews I've read, it seems like the best version to get is the PC if you can run it because the ability to mod it makes it a lot more fun as well as increased accuracy due to the mouse.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

But no mention of the truly atrocious voice acting?

Sure, bad voice acting is practically a video game tradition but this is the only game that forced me to turn on subtitles and hit the mute button every time a character opened his or her mouth.

Also:
RobCoxxy said:
Sorry, sounds like you got a tad bitter about the whole "Argh, travel" thing, purely because you didn't bother to learn to extract. If you actually used it, you would not be experiencing your SANDBOX TRAVEL RAGE.
Yeah... no. The extraction mechanic is clumsy as all hell. Each time you use it you have to go through about six steps, including three loading screens (albeit short ones) and two cutscenes (with the aforementioned horrible voice acting). Also, you can't use it during a mission or during "heat".

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Greg Tito would like to apologize to all of the innocent citizens of Panau for jumping onto their cars and tossing them out.
Yeah but you don't mean it.

OT: I just recently played Saint's Row 2 for the first time. Based on what I'm reading it looks like SR2 still holds the championship belt for best sand box game.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
The one item per call Black market thing is a PITA, but the extraction mechanic works fine & saves a lot of time so don't see why having to look at the ground to use a beacon (no different to throwing a smoke signal in mercenaries etc tbh) was so frustrating you'd rather drive everywhere :/

Audio is annoyingly buggy, game gets repetitive if played for too long. But the fact it lets you blow up a fuel depot, then leap off a cliff onto a helicopter & use that to blow more stuff up more than makes up for it when wanting something fun & dumb to do for an hour or so.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
u are a Terrorist period. If civilians are fleeing in terror by definition u are a TERRORist :D

But a well funded well armed american terrorist! \o/ so its all o k :p

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I guess I'm the only one who has absolutely no problem with the Blackmarket thing?
Press down on the d-pad. Then press Y while looking at the ground. Easy.
Oh, and press 'A' as soon as you hear the guy start talking, since you can just skip over those 'Hey amigo! what do you need?' cut-scenes.

I will agree that the lack of buying more then one item is a tad annoying, but if you collect what you just bought and use the black market beacon again, the little black market cut-scene is skipped over, and you jump right back into the menu. So that's not so bad.

And I can't help but think there was some serious exaggeration with the length of a death. I just played this a ton this morning, dying a bunch on those stupid plane challenges that make you fly up and around bridges, and the death sequences never seemed long to me.

Over all, the game is just about having fun. Story and voice acting take a back seat, but they are so very bad it's funny, so that makes it better. It's about jumping around, blowing everything up. And it's a blast (No pun intended). It's certainly eating up my time! And it's always fun to experiment with the grappling hook. Like when I grapple a motorcycle that's chasing me to the ground. FLIP! Awesome.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Zhukov said:
Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

But no mention of the truly atrocious voice acting?

Sure, bad voice acting is practically a video game tradition but this is the only game that forced me to turn on subtitles and hit the mute button every time a character opened his or her mouth.
Yeah I gotta agree with you on that one. The worst offender was the Russian/Italian/Jamacan/whatever the fuck she was, leader of the Reapers. Bolo Santooooozzeeeee.

But really, this isn't one of those games where you don't even care about the story. All you need to know is: Here's a big world to play in, now go blow shit up.

DrTrevelyan

Aug 14, 2009
Not to insult your intelligence, but you died ten times in the first parachuting tutorial? I had no problem figuring out how to maneuver while gliding, nor did I have any trouble calling in for an extraction. maybe these "frustrating" features are only so because you didn't get the hang of them?

I do agree that having to respawn miles away in the closest stronghold was annoying as well as dumping to a menu when you die.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
Yeah I gotta agree with you on that one. The worst offender was the Russian/Italian/Jamacan/whatever the fuck she was, leader of the Reapers. Bolo Santooooozzeeeee.
Actually, I find Sheldon even worse.

But yeah, Miss Santosi comes in a close second.

"I em the leader of [...] the reepuurs."
"You're serveeces are invaluabaahle."

*wince*

Jon Etheridge said:
But really, this isn't one of those games where you even care about the story. All you need to know is: Here's a big world to play in, now go blow shit up.
Indeed. And the game is kind enough to not rub its crappier parts in your face while you run around blowing up said shit.