Review: Killzone 2

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Siegreich said:
bluerahjah said:
To be honest I find the Helghast and Visari to make far better villains than the generic aliens of Halo and Gears, the setting and style of the game are, in my opinion, more interesting than those of the aforementioned 360 games.
Well, to be fair, halo and gears have always had more of an arcade style game feel. They're both fun games, but they feel like games, and games they are. Killzone 2 seems to be going more for that cinema-style immersion feeling, it just feels more genuine, realistic, etc. Not everybody likes that style of game I suppose. Sometimes people want developers to realize their making a game and it shouldn't take itself too seriously.

I think at times, killzone indeed takes itself too seriously, but there are alot of moments where the immersion just gets you, and its really effective. People complain about the sluggish controls, but there really is something to be said about how immersive the game feels. I don't know if its the graphics, the sound, the controls, or just a combination of all three, but it really does feel like you're on the battlefield, and it's just a horrific place to be.

I think the author wrote a very good review, though there were times where some personal bias showed through, namely when discussing the 2 year old price tag which no longer exists, or trying to relate the ps3's install base to a group of pretentious tech nerds. I mean... if you look around you can find PS3's for the same price as 360's. I've seen 40 gigs selling for 199.99.

Doctor Drizzle

Mar 3, 2009
Wow, I cannot believe the amount of complaints I find about the story. Who cares? Do people actually play FPS games for the story? What's next? Will people complain about not enough action in their video chess game? The people who are interested in a story for a FPS title should give their heads a shake. The story in a FPS is a platform for the game itself, not the other way around. The last thing I want do in a shooter is sit through tons of pointless exposition. How would I benefit by knowing Sev's deep dark feelings towards the invasion? Perhaps he should spend most of the game crying over his lost child, that would be fun. The important thing is the games plays great in every way you would want a shooter to. For those who look to FPS games for enthralling stories, expect to be disappointed.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Doctor Drizzle said:
Wow, I cannot believe the amount of complaints I find about the story. Who cares? Do people actually play FPS games for the story? What's next? Will people complain about not enough action in their video chess game? The people who are interested in a story for a FPS title should give their heads a shake. The story in a FPS is a platform for the game itself, not the other way around. The last thing I want do in a shooter is sit through tons of pointless exposition. How would I benefit by knowing Sev's deep dark feelings towards the invasion? Perhaps he should spend most of the game crying over his lost child, that would be fun. The important thing is the games plays great in every way you would want a shooter to. For those who look to FPS games for enthralling stories, expect to be disappointed.
ehhh good story never hurt anyone. A good story can turn a good game into a masterpeice. The story in killzone isn't terrible, there just isn't much of one. I mean if you really wanted to you could look into the world war 2 allusions. The ending is a little anti-climactic, but that seems to be the norm these days amongst game writers.

Doctor Drizzle

Mar 3, 2009
Oh yeah, I thought the review was bad too. Crash makes the same points I would. It's the kind of review I'd expect to find at the user review section at Gamefaqs. Wait a minute, they are way better, sorry user reviewers.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Doctor Drizzle said:
Oh yeah, I thought the review was bad too. Crash makes the same points I would. It's the kind of review I'd expect to find at the user review section at Gamefaqs. Wait a minute, they are way better, sorry user reviewers.
I don't think it's a bad review, most of it is pretty flattering i'd say. The rest reflects the author's personal viewpoints. That's all a review is really, you're reading someone else's opinion about a game.

Doctor Drizzle

Mar 3, 2009
I know, I know. It's not the worst review evar and I'm not a rabid fanboy. The last two paragraphs I thought were way off base. He cites a deep multiplayer as a negative thing, which makes no sense. What's the point in playing shallow multiplayer games? Also the suggestion the KZ2 is some sort of esoteric experience that only the ultimate nerds could appreciate is very short sighted to say the least. A better example of what he's trying to describe would be MGO, now that games fits his multiplayer description to a T(still super awesome though!). The game is a hit, and for good reason. I really can't see a game this good having the very limited, but dedicated user base that MGO has.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I agree that "Must buy" is a fair rating to give this game.

BTW, the devs are looking into the control complaints [http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=217956]. I actually LIKE the response lag, but I only really play single player modes, so if they make it a switchable option everyone should be happy.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Not a Spy said:
I believe what he meant by the last two paragraphs was: Its deep if you want to sink the time into mastering the nuances of class building, but a tad too confusing for those wanting more of a quick "drop in, drop out" system. I agree with your second statement though, killzone 2 is very mainstream and definitely not like MGO.
The class system isn't that confusing... It's no more confusing than COD4's multiplayer. If you found that to be complicated, then I suppose this one would be equally so. But it tells you what you need to unlock something... and it tells you what you get when you do. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

I guess it's kind of a question as to why they designed it so you would have to unlock classes as opposed to making them just readily selectable. I assume because it adds replay value, and it allows players to learn how the game works before they jump in and start taking up class slots. For instance, a team can only have 2 tacticians. You wouldn't want someone who's never played before jumping in and grabbing the tactician. Making them unlockable allows you to ease into the learning curve. The time it takes to unlock them isn't really ridiculous. I have maybe 11 hours of play and i've unlocked 3/6 classes, and the secondary abilities of 2 of them.

I mean... its a deep multiplayer that's gotten much praise from just about every critic in the gaming world. In fact, most critics have praised the multiplayer above the singleplayer. I'm not sure what else you would want. It's fun, its replayable, its got acheivements and unlocks, its got lots of different aspects to master, its got a built in clan system and community, e-peen rankings. I'm not sure what else one would really want.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
101194 said:
Hmmm, Is this worth buying a PS3 For? Answer me?
Considering the fact that its a great game with lots of replay value, ps3 already has several other great games exclusive to the system, multiplayer is free, and you can find ps3s for as low as 199.99$ I would personally say its worth it.

You won't regret owning a ps3, even if the initial cost 2 years ago set you off, there's really no reason not to own one now that they've come down in price so far. I personally think this would be a great game to start into the system with. Definitely a much better reason to buy one than warhawk or motorstorm was at launch.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
After all I've seen and read about this game, I'm still indecisive about owning it. I guess the short single player is probably the most offputting part. I suspect the local video shop will be getting a visit soon... ahhh renting games, so useful.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
the only grippe of this great game is having to save my teammate and he can't do the same for me and why can't he shut up and quit whining for help

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
The dialogue is silly except in the end when Visari is talking to you. He brings up some good points.
And then that freaking retard Rico killed him... I wanted to kill Rico so badly right then. He is one of the most unlikeable characters ever. Other than that though, I think the game is near perfect. I got used to the lag pretty early on and I've been using the Alternate 2 control scheme so I haven't had a problem with the controls either. And I like how everything has a certain weight to it. Killzone 2 is now my favorite game. Halo 3 is now second and Bioshock is third.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
The dialogue is silly except in the end when Visari is talking to you. He brings up some good points.
And then that freaking retard Rico killed him... I wanted to kill Rico so badly right then. He is one of the most unlikeable characters ever. Other than that though, I think the game is near perfect. I got used to the lag pretty early on and I've been using the Alternate 2 control scheme so I haven't had a problem with the controls either. And I like how everything has a certain weight to it. Killzone 2 is now my favorite game. Halo 3 is now second and Bioshock is third.
Dear God I wanted to kill Rico on the spot. He was an idiot who swore too much in the first Killzone and he's an idiot in general in Killzone 2. They could have seriously managed some sort of treaty if Rico would have just died and Visari being kept alive.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
NO WAYZ, KILLZONE IS TEH OWNZOR!
Wow..
Just had an episode there...
Really though, this is a good review, I agree with most of the points made.
Also, I really enjoyed the online.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dear God I wanted to kill Rico on the spot. He was an idiot who swore too much in the first Killzone and he's an idiot in general in Killzone 2. They could have seriously managed some sort of treaty if Rico would have just died and Visari being kept alive.
Yea... It's hard to imagine that Guerrilla Games was actually able to make Rico more unlikeable than he was in Killzone. Damn...

And yea, Visari was absolutely right, the Helghast are not going to stop fighting now that their leader, their savior, has perished. The dumb bastard Rico should have just kept Visari alive so the war could have ended or at least quieted down.

Inverse Skies said:
After all I've seen and read about this game, I'm still indecisive about owning it. I guess the short single player is probably the most offputting part. I suspect the local video shop will be getting a visit soon... ahhh renting games, so useful.
But you have an internet connection... Killzone 2's multiplayer will keep you occupied for weeks, perhaps months, maybe even longer. And the campaign is pure awesome. Even though it's short, it's highly replayable. Also, the campaign on Veteran and Elite takes more like 8-10 hours because you will die a lot. The AI doesn't get stronger with the harder difficulties, nor do you get weaker. No, the AI get's smarter. WAY smarter.