Review: Killzone 2

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
The dialogue is silly except in the end when Visari is talking to you. He brings up some good points.
And then that freaking retard Rico killed him... I wanted to kill Rico so badly right then. He is one of the most unlikeable characters ever. Other than that though, I think the game is near perfect. I got used to the lag pretty early on and I've been using the Alternate 2 control scheme so I haven't had a problem with the controls either. And I like how everything has a certain weight to it. Killzone 2 is now my favorite game. Halo 3 is now second and Bioshock is third.
Yeah Rico is an idiot but I kinda like him for that reason. He behaves like somebody would when your friend sacrificed (technically he got killed but nevermind that) himself to capture this guy.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
But you have an internet connection... Killzone 2's multiplayer will keep you occupied for weeks, perhaps months, maybe even longer. And the campaign is pure awesome. Even though it's short, it's highly replayable. Also, the campaign on Veteran and Elite takes more like 8-10 hours because you will die a lot. The AI doesn't get stronger with the harder difficulties, nor do you get weaker. No, the AI get's smarter. WAY smarter.
Hence why I plan on renting it out and giving it a fairly decent crack in the one night I'll have it. I also plan on going through on the hardest difficulty first and seeing how I go with that. Should be good fun!

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Eipok Kruden said:
But you have an internet connection... Killzone 2's multiplayer will keep you occupied for weeks, perhaps months, maybe even longer. And the campaign is pure awesome. Even though it's short, it's highly replayable. Also, the campaign on Veteran and Elite takes more like 8-10 hours because you will die a lot. The AI doesn't get stronger with the harder difficulties, nor do you get weaker. No, the AI get's smarter. WAY smarter.
Hence why I plan on renting it out and giving it a fairly decent crack in the one night I'll have it. I also plan on going through on the hardest difficulty first and seeing how I go with that. Should be good fun!
The hardest difficulty isn't unlocked until you beat the campaign once on any other difficulty. You should play it on the second hardest first, then try it on the hardest if you like it enough. It should take you 16-18 hours to finish it once on both of the difficulties. 8-9 hours each.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
harhol said:
I'm something of a rare species in that I'm a PS3 owner who couldn't care less about buying & owning Killzone 2. I appreciate what it does but it's never really appealed to me. Nevertheless, there are some points in this review which I think need to be addressed:
Re-read the review without the pre-conception that Jordan hated the game and the PS3 in general.

Done?

Notice now, that almost all of his "criticisms" that you needed to address were not in fact criticisms, or things that could really be refuted. They were neutral statements.

Perfect example here:
Review said:
"If you're used to the twitch responsiveness of Left 4 Dead or Call of Duty 4, you're going to find aiming in Killzone 2 more than a little sluggish."
That, is not a criticism. It is merely the reviewer explaining the control scheme by compaing it to a game with a different control scheme. Is it fundamentally wrong to compare any two games? If so, what else can be used as a point of reference?

Just go into things with an open mind, its less taxing that way.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
The hardest difficulty isn't unlocked until you beat the campaign once on any other difficulty. You should play it on the second hardest first, then try it on the hardest if you like it enough. It should take you 16-18 hours to finish it once on both of the difficulties. 8-9 hours each.
Thanks for the heads up. I know what I'll be doing with my friday now! Typical about the difficulty not being unlocked though, although it will be good to see how the AI changes from difficulty to difficulty.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Thanks for the heads up. I know what I'll be doing with my friday now! Typical about the difficulty not being unlocked though, although it will be good to see how the AI changes from difficulty to difficulty.
:) I played through the campaign on trooper (the normal difficulty). I'll play through the campaign again on veteran and then on elite after I've unlocked the scout in multiplayer :) The multiplayer is so addicting.

Ptrack_Git

Apr 6, 2008
I think that the review was far and accurate. For me the pluses out way the minuses in a big way, and this game is worth 60 bucks.
Graphically the game ranges from Good to Amazing, with the average landing about on Great (the Helghast character models lit up by a muzzle at close range is incredible looking). The dialogue is a little week (although well preformed), but who cares, the shoot outs are fantastic and frantic and the AI on the battle field more than makes up for the stupid shit they yell.
I think that the lag is a moot pint because it's been balanced out of the single player campaign (I'm sure by having the reaction time of the Helghast slowed the same amount) and everybody has the same amount of lag online, so it's naturally balanced out of the multi-player. I saw it tracked at 167ms which is well under two tenths of a second, so i never even noticed it till I read this article, I just thought the game felt really weighty (which it dose) and really liked it. Still elitist will pick the game apart over that and it's a quasi-valid point, but I don't personally feel that it is detrimental to the game, if you are on the fence please don't let this dissuade you. GG said they were looking into patching it if you care...
The multiplier is fun and well crafted. The over all fell is a bit like CoD4, although it definitely has its own flavor (more methodical, but a bit more visceral). There is no cover system but the action is tight and a bit frantic at close rang and there is a cool class and level up system that lets you do some crazy stuff combining skills from different classes.
All and all I agree with the review, and would recommend KZ2 any FPS fan.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
good review, but is it just me, or does the very straightforward recommendation not seem to fit with the rest of the review?

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
:) I played through the campaign on trooper (the normal difficulty). I'll play through the campaign again on veteran and then on elite after I've unlocked the scout in multiplayer :) The multiplayer is so addicting.
Well once I've finished voicing my opinion on here and finishing some jobs around the house (it really needs a vacuum) the local video shop should be getting a good visit. I wonder if I can knock off veteran in one night? Sounds like a good challenge to me.

Aside: Is Killzone 2 keeping you away from EVE? If so then it must be better than I've thought :)

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
harhol said:
It's a confused piece for sure. Pro-Guerrilla but anti-PlayStation and therefore fencebound. I don't think it could influence anyone's decision to buy/avoid the game. The recommendation is to "buy it" but I have no idea why. How can something be "uncompromising" yet "insubstantial"?
I have to agree with harhol. There were many anti-sony comments in the review that were clearly uneccessary and had nothing to do with the game itself, (the unwarranted criticism of a 2 year old price tag which doesn't even exist anymore, comparing the ps3 to an overpriced 360, etc.) but pointing out such labels you as a "Sony Fanboy" and therefore nothing you have to say is worth reading. The author even posted later in the thread that he doesn't own a PS3, which makes me wonder exactly how much time he spent with the game before writing a review. But alas, I think the review was mostly fair and marked kz2 for its high points.

I don't agree with his assessment of the multiplayer though, and his conclusion that the game is lacking is somewhat perplexing as well. I don't know how an amazing looking game, with excellent AI, great replay value, and an extremely deep multiplayer could ever be described as "stylish but insubstantial."

"Poor Sony. It's hard to sympathize with them these days. Poised for another easy first-place finish in the console race, they released a device with a $600 premium just in time for a global recession."
"which is somehow fitting from the company that brought you the $600 console." Really... get over it man. They're not that expensive anymore, just go out and buy one so you can stop being mad at it.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Crash486 said:
harhol said:
It's a confused piece for sure. Pro-Guerrilla but anti-PlayStation and therefore fencebound. I don't think it could influence anyone's decision to buy/avoid the game. The recommendation is to "buy it" but I have no idea why. How can something be "uncompromising" yet "insubstantial"?
I have to agree with harhol. There were many anti-sony comments in the review that were clearly uneccessary and had nothing to do with the game itself, (the unwarranted criticism of a 2 year old price tag which doesn't even exist anymore, comparing the ps3 to an overpriced 360, etc.) but pointing out such labels you as a "Sony Fanboy" and therefore nothing you have to say is worth reading. The author even posted later in the thread that he doesn't own a PS3, which makes me wonder exactly how much time he spent with the game before writing a review. But alas, I think the review was mostly fair and marked kz2 for its high points.

I don't agree with his assessment of the multiplayer though, and his conclusion that the game is lacking is somewhat perplexing as well. I don't know how an amazing looking game, with excellent AI, great replay value, and an extremely deep multiplayer could ever be described as "stylish but insubstantial."

"Poor Sony. It's hard to sympathize with them these days. Poised for another easy first-place finish in the console race, they released a device with a $600 premium just in time for a global recession."
"which is somehow fitting from the company that brought you the $600 console." Really... get over it man. They're not that expensive anymore, just go out and buy one so you can stop being mad at it.
I totally agree that these issues about Sony getting brought up in reviews and my overall thought is : Why?
This is a game review, so stick to your game. What does the price of the console have to do with the game? Are trying to add an edge to your review by stating something everyone knows about?

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Well once I've finished voicing my opinion on here and finishing some jobs around the house (it really needs a vacuum) the local video shop should be getting a good visit. I wonder if I can knock off veteran in one night? Sounds like a good challenge to me.

Aside: Is Killzone 2 keeping you away from EVE? If so then it must be better than I've thought :)
I've never played EVE obsessively. I still play EVE just as much as I usually do. A few hours at most each day, sometimes I don't play it at all for a day or two. I play Killzone 2 most of the time, but I log onto EVE when I want something more.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
I've never played EVE obsessively. I still play EVE just as much as I usually do. A few hours at most each day, sometimes I don't play it at all for a day or two. I play Killzone 2 most of the time, but I log onto EVE when I want something more.
Ah. My apologies, I've held the wrong view of you as a gamer for sometime then. I always thought you were heavily into EVE. Now I know better :)

As to the question if I could knock off veteran in one night... no. I couldn't. I stayed up until four in the morning trying as well. I kind of got distracted by posts on here which didn't help (my attention wavers badly when playing games at times, it's nothing new). I managed to get up to the palace where Radek is holding up. I was pretty impressed... and yet still unconvinced about buying it.

I still feel I'd lose interest in it very quickly, especially once I've beaten it through. I would like to see it through to the end though... so I'm just going to be indecisive about it for a while. Decisions decisions!

Apr 28, 2008
Am I the only one while playing this game feel like the character you control was shorter than everyone else? I found myself looking up at everyone throughout the game.

Plus, was I also the only one bothered by the film grain effect and wished they put in an option to turn it off?

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Ah. My apologies, I've held the wrong view of you as a gamer for sometime then. I always thought you were heavily into EVE. Now I know better :)

As to the question if I could knock off veteran in one night... no. I couldn't. I stayed up until four in the morning trying as well. I kind of got distracted by posts on here which didn't help (my attention wavers badly when playing games at times, it's nothing new). I managed to get up to the palace where Radek is holding up. I was pretty impressed... and yet still unconvinced about buying it.

I still feel I'd lose interest in it very quickly, especially once I've beaten it through. I would like to see it through to the end though... so I'm just going to be indecisive about it for a while. Decisions decisions!
I'm still a massive EVE fan and I love the universe and the game itself, but it's just not the kind of game you play obsessively. It's much slower paced. I'm currently getting ready for a mission into 0.0 to scout out some new positions. My Helios (covert ops frigate, it can fit an advanced cloaking device and is very good at using scanners and probes for exploration) has been collecting some dust.

And nice :) I thought the end fight with Radek was pretty fun. It's very long though. In fact, you get a trophy for beating him in less than 20 minutes.

Irridium said:
Am I the only one while playing this game feel like the character you control was shorter than everyone else? I found myself looking up at everyone throughout the game.

Plus, was I also the only one bothered by the film grain effect and wished they put in an option to turn it off?
No, you're not the only person who found yourself looking up at everyone. But you're probably the only person who was bothered by it. You're also probably the only person that disliked the grain effect.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
And nice :) I thought the end fight with Radek was pretty fun. It's very long though. In fact, you get a trophy for beating him in less than 20 minutes.
What? I was that close to beating it? I should have pressed on until 5 in the morning! No sleep! Sleep is for the weak!

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Eipok Kruden said:
What? I was that close to beating it? I should have pressed on until 5 in the morning! No sleep! Sleep is for the weak!
Yep, it should only take you 30 minutes maximum on Veteran. It took me 17 minutes on normal and that was because I kept trying to kill Radec and not the grunts. You have to kill all the waves of troopers first, then you'll be able to fight Radec. I suggest using the grenade launcher to take out all soldiers the up until the RPG troopers and then using the sniper rifle to take out the RPG troopers. Then grab the assault rifle or shotgun for the boss fight with Radec since he teleports too much for the flamethrower to be effective.