Review: Kinect and Launch Titles

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Kinect and Launch Titles

Kinect is nifty tech with great potential, but few launch games really take advantage of it.

Read Full Article

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Good to see the usual open-minded review. I guess it doesn't have enough appeal for us gamers.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I could never play it, but how freaking cute is Kinectimals? It makes me want to go play with my dog right now.

Not looking at getting Kinect until it gets games that interest me, if that day ever comes.

Nouw said:
Good to see the usual open-minded review. I guess it doesn't have enough appeal for us gamers.
Ditto there. It's always nice to see people who are fully aware that the gaming community is much more diverse than us curmudgeonly "core gamers" would like to admit.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I'm what some people would lump into the group of a "core" gamer, and I'm still glad I have my Kinect. It's actually been a lot more fun than I expected, with me spending a ton of time on Kinect Sports. Waiting for Child of Eden, but for me, it's not getting old... I'm perfectly OK with switching from Fallout to Kinect Adventures to Borderlands.

Then again, I've put the Kinect through its paces. I use it for more than just the gaming - I browse through the Zune marketplace and have used it on a few occasions already to video chat with people that don't even have one.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
The only problem i have with kinect is that it is only bundled with a game i have zero interest in. So i have to fork over 150 euro for it. Wish it came boxed with other games(there are 2 i am interested it) or without a game at all.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Nouw said:
I'm probably setting myself up for mockery here, but I must confess - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Dance Central was pretty damned fun, four starred it on Poker Face at Eurogamer.

In front of a crowd of people. ;-;

Otherwise I'll hope the price will drop and see if that Star Wars thing turns out any good before I consider getting a Kinect.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Nouw said:
I'm probably setting myself up for mockery here, but I must confess - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
Nah, I think he's being honest. If it reflected the views of the majority in the Escapist forums, it would probably have just been "Don't bother."

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Waiting for fans of this to be caught making fun of the Wii. In fact, how many of you Kinect players bashed Wii on a daily basis? Joke's on you.

I'm waiting til I can afford the PS3 move because I can use a controller and a motion cam at the same time. Wii+Kinect=Move, and I'm fine with that.

Incidentally, I like the Kinect and am only knocking it in jest, but 1. it doesn't live up to the (Molyneaux) hype and 2. I'm a Sony loyalist. Can't wait to see what Nintendo will do to keep up though...

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Angry joe reviewed the kinect in terms of i's ability to work in conditions like people who are wearing dark or are very dark or in a dark place and it still worked well. Some of the other games for it are cool but so far there's nothing in the library that warrants the price. they should start stepping up there game. There's actually a chance they could make a real profit despite everybody saying they don't want a piece.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The only controller less style game I would play would be a war sim, moving formation with your hand. Think EndWar but more control.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
While I really want to navigate a dashboard/menu/etc. Ironman style, it seems like I'll just have to wait for that sort of thing once the technology advances to that point.

Anyways, is it a surprise these days that a launch has too few titles to sell it. While I praise early adapters for keep the product alive so it can come out in a polished state, I don't really see the point of doing so.

As for the games, I'm only going to focus on one here: Harmonix's. Kinect could very well be the end of plastic instruments if it is given time to advance and learn, which means that very soon we could have a huge variety of instruments for these sort of games without forking over more cash for the money pile, as well as making it so that games that would previously require peripherals to get the real experience (I played Guitar Hero on a controller before I was able to get the actual one due to it taking longer to ship, and I can tell you the fun really did come from the guitar) could be more easily made. As for Harmonix, it seems they've slipped back into the previous generation of rhythm games here with this new sort of DDR. Maybe this is the signal of another Parappa the Rapper game for Kinect. Only time will tell.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
i played kinext adventures at work, its not something you can devote hours to certainly but it was pretty damn fun.

there needs to be some more serious games for it this is true but it is hellla more fun than the wii seriously. the lag is barely noticeable, unnoticeable to the untrained eye.

I would consider buying one if i had the room/money

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really wish I had a bigger room...

I wanna play Dance Central REALLY bad.

Even by myself, that game would be fun to me.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Dear Microsoft: If there are no games for this thing I don't see why you think I would buy it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hmm...

Dance Central looks like something I could only play while thoroughly inebriated.

Overall, my impression is "not for me".

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Nouw said:
I was being serious here, but I can't blame you as now that I re-read it, it could be taken as sarcasm.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I really wish I had a bigger room...

I wanna play Dance Central REALLY bad.

Even by myself, that game would be fun to me.
Unless you're a girl and under 16, it is NOT ok to be shaking your ass in front of the TV under any circumstances. Not even if it's a zombie hitler rape simulator. Plastic guitars are gay enough.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I can bet that more stuff will come, but this is a pretty weak line-up in my opinion. The most appealing of the 4 I saw seemed to be Kinect Sports and honestly, its too much like Wii Sports for me to really care for it. Kinectimals reminds me of that Pokemon game for the Nintendo 64 where you hang out with Pikachu and honestly, I did not have the patience for it, Kinectimals is out.

I hate Dancing games so Dance Central was out as soon as I heard the first word and Kinect mini-games...well, that seems like something better suited for parties and I bought a 360 so I could have a console for myself. I have the Wii for party games and it works fine.