Review: Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories

For a remake of a game that revolves around losing one's memory, it's fittingly forgettable.

Read Full Article

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
So is this by you? Or Susan?

And apparently you were last online at 8 o'clock this morning...very odd.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The question on my mind is... did Shimomura rearrange the music? I'd love to hear a less gameboy-ish version of Toccata Flamma and Marluxia.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I once spen about 5 hours trying to get a lvl. 9 blue card to get that one last door open. I won't be playing the 3D remake, thank you very much.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Neosage said:

This is John's review. We thumb wrestled to see which one of us would have to actually play the game, and he lost. (I played the GBA version and haaaaated it.) I just voiced the supplement.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm not a big fan of "card based" combat systems myself and this Card Based Realtime seems screwy at best.

This is why I hate the stigma against Turn Based these days, why build a crappy realtime system just for the sake of having it be realtime when Turn Based would have been easier and better?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
The reason the voice actors come back is cause Disney owns there souls.

Velios

Dec 11, 2008
Sacman said:
The reason the voice actors come back is cause Disney owns there souls.
Haha shame that. I enjoyed the GBA version, but I feel no need to go back.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
I think the "Re:" in this game's title is a Japanese truncation of "Rebirth". It sounds better than "Remake", at least, and I've seen its usage elsewhere, namely the second season of the Code Geass anime series. In it, the characters have a plan they've titled "Zero Re:quiem" (yes, with the colon), and given the symbolism in that usage (an explanation would be a spoiler), "Rebirth" seems appropriate.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Neosage said:

This is John's review. We thumb wrestled to see which one of us would have to actually play the game, and he lost. (I played the GBA version and haaaaated it.) I just voiced the supplement.
Damn. I watched the vid first and then read the whole article in your voice in my head. Now I feel silly.

Good review though. Won't be purchasing this as having played KH.2 already and not needing the story of CoM (or at least just asking my friend to fill me in) to enjoy it makes it pointless considering the flaws you've pointed out.

Gringar

Dec 20, 2008
Well played the game, the card system wasn't too bad, you just have to organize your deck properly (ie having the zeros at the back for easy access for countering).

**spoiler** not really
finish the game and you get to play through riku's story called "reverse/rebirth"
he's just more fun to play with

I still prefer the GBA version better just because i hate the camera angles.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I actually really enjoyed the GBA version, but the only reason I would buy the PS2 version would be for the cinematics, and I can just find those online, so I think I'll pass.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Neosage said:

A cooperative review! Teamwork is everything! :)

Donald sure is cute, isn't he?

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
pyromcr said:
can disney stop with the stupid kingdom hearts games, i have played them and all they are is a sad excuse for a pokemon or maybe a yugio game (i know that i spelled them wrong but whatever) these are the games that kill the gaming industry
I have KH1 and KH2 and my brother has KH COM. I prefer the second one the most, the COM was just plain bad, the card system was too annoying for me to bother playing. It's like trying to play a game of magic against a computer that gives you 5 seconds to do your turn before it gets it's turn again.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Hankage said:
I hate card-based RPGs. I prefer my failures to be based on lack of skill on my part, not because the game didn't give me the one fucking card I needed, thanks.
Onmi said:
Hankage said:
I hate card-based RPGs. I prefer my failures to be based on lack of skill on my part, not because the game didn't give me the one fucking card I needed, thanks.
To be fair it's not Random, you cycle through the cards, so if you mess up it's likely you weren't fast enough, also you can organize the deck so your sleights and attacks will come out according to your strategy.

Also summing up CoM.

"Sora loses his memories and abilities kills a bunch of dudes in black coats, gets put to sleep and forgets remembers everything but his powers from the first game while forgetting everything he learned in this game"
In more fairness, in the end, YOU deside which cards are used and which cards aren't. The cards you get are random, of course, but in the end it's which ones you use in the deck which makes the difference between killing something and it killing you.