Review: Left 4 Dead

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
"Any game that can get stereotypical Xbox players communicating and collaborating deserves more than just rave reviews - it deserves the Nobel f**king Peace Prize."

Its true. I never thought i'd see xbox players working as a team until left 4 dead. Sure, they still tea bag, but its a start.

s3cur1tr0n

Aug 5, 2008
Rogue 09 said:
I must wholeheartedly disagree with you assessment of Left 4 Dead. The title does shame to the Zombie genre. Zombies are used to strike fear into people for a number of their qualities: Slow shambling movements, difficulty to kill (headshot!), ability to eat you alive and turn you into them, their looks, and their massive number.

This game dispenses with normal zombie lore and focuses on numbers. You'll have so many zombies flying at you that gameplay frequently dissolves to "Spray and Pray" mechanics. The lack of a zoom for aiming makes the feeling of trying to score a hit far more sloppy. You can hardly even see the details of the zombies because they fly up to you so fast. It goes from a frightening story to an exercise in frusteration.

I also understand the need to change up gameplay with bosses here and there, but the "super zombies" feel more like mutants than the undead.

And why the hell would you go anywhere during a zombie apocolypse? There could be nothing stupider than trying to face the odds they did in the game, and we're just supposed to believe 'cause they said so.

You want a real team building zombie experience? Try CoD World at War's Nazi Zombies. The game does a lot bad and some of the same zombie problems persist in that same game, but it's far closer in tune with actual zombie canon and test the limits of your coordination with fellow gamers. And at least they have the good sense to stay indoors...
So what do you do when theres a zombie apocalypse? Wait it out in your one bedroom apartment with you ramen noodle soup? Wait for everything to be ok, maybe your mother would come and pick you up in the family minivan. Your an idiot.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Haha, I liked this part;

If you're stuck with a PS3, hop into LittleBigPlanet with three of your friends, throw on some zombie costumes and make the best with what you've got.
Thanks for your concern ;P

I'd get Left 4 Dead for the PC if I could, but lack of a decent computer to run games on I'm screwed unless VALVe decide to port a PS3 version some day.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Rogue 09 said:
Also, (to above poster) if you have guns and are in a building (let alone city) crawling with the undead who will ALL focus on tearing you apart in the most painful way possible, are you going to cross 10 city blocks to get to a possible rescue or stare deep into the open end of that shotgun and prepare to meet you sweet and fluffy maker?
If I'm going out, I'm going out swinging, mate.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Rogue 09 said:
I must wholeheartedly disagree with you assessment of Left 4 Dead. The title does shame to the Zombie genre. Zombies are used to strike fear into people for a number of their qualities: Slow shambling movements, difficulty to kill (headshot!), ability to eat you alive and turn you into them, their looks, and their massive number.

This game dispenses with normal zombie lore and focuses on numbers. You'll have so many zombies flying at you that gameplay frequently dissolves to "Spray and Pray" mechanics. The lack of a zoom for aiming makes the feeling of trying to score a hit far more sloppy. You can hardly even see the details of the zombies because they fly up to you so fast. It goes from a frightening story to an exercise in frusteration.

I also understand the need to change up gameplay with bosses here and there, but the "super zombies" feel more like mutants than the undead.

And why the hell would you go anywhere during a zombie apocolypse? There could be nothing stupider than trying to face the odds they did in the game, and we're just supposed to believe 'cause they said so.

You want a real team building zombie experience? Try CoD World at War's Nazi Zombies. The game does a lot bad and some of the same zombie problems persist in that same game, but it's far closer in tune with actual zombie canon and test the limits of your coordination with fellow gamers. And at least they have the good sense to stay indoors...
Well, I can't say I agree with you, but its you opinion. The Left 4 Dead zombies aren't meant to be 'true' zombies - they are infected, not dead.

But to me, the horror of zombies comes from the fact they were human and now are not. They are numerous, and have no sense of self-preservation. They seem to be an endless tide, never ending.

The Left 4 Dead zombies do that for me. They replace high survivibly with high speed, see?

EDIT:
Oh, and staying in one place is an invitation to getting eaten or starved to dead.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
Danny Ocean said:
Susan Arendt said:
Rogue 09 said:
WORDDDSSSS!!!
If I'm going out, I'm going out swinging, mate.
What Susan said... I call dibs on the Hunting Rifle
Shotgun the witch!
Sorry, I can't afford anything but the demo...*sniffle*
You can't play as a Witch
Nope, but the Tank you can, and its FUN! :)

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
i should at least try the demo... i dont think i can afford the complete version (i dont know if the free demo still out)

Darkmark44

Nov 26, 2008
This game is awesome. I play this game at my friends dorm whenever freetime arises in college and i just love the feel of it. The story is alittle poor, but besides that, great effects. I feel it is so satisfying to shoot a zombie right in the head to watch it explode. The weapons are pretty nice too, and once you get the assault rifle, life gets easier.

The co-op mode is pretty well done. The fact that you actually have to work together adds a nice touch and it prevents people from doing waht they want as well. The sooner the players work together, the easier it is. Otherwise, your basically screwed as zombies start to swarm in from all directions.

Another effect I like is that on certain modes you can play as the zombies and its just so satifying to be the hunter, smoker, boomer or tank. Heh, just to be able to pounce and mall the player senseless...

But thats my speal.

~DM

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
As far as "zombie canon" goes, I've an admittedly small nit to pick. Namely, I'm tired of the "reasonable explanations" for zombies and vampires. I wish Left4Dead had -true- zombies, not "infected". It's like, "oh, no, they can't be undead, that's just too unrealistic!". Puh-leze. "Wait, they're infected instead, yay, that's so much more believable, thus fun!". I disagree. Undead a hell of a lot more fun, and scary, than infected people. For me, at least.

Waiting and hoping for the day when media and games once again feature the real zombies . . .and all the emo anne rice-esque vampires die a quick and horrible death.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I think the writer should check out the in game commentary. Valve mentioned wanting more cinematic stuff but realised it would be annoying to start a level, and have to sit through them over and over again. (The game IS made for replay) However yes, some reason would be nice, but ultimatly, L4D is a game about playing! Also, voice is better. I played a versus match with people actually communicating and it was the best, setting up ambushes as the infected, and stopping the other team while we were the survivors. Also, competition can be fun, but for games about working together, it is bad. Obnoxious and mean people will do little good here.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
PopcornAvenger said:
As far as "zombie canon" goes, I've an admittedly small nit to pick. Namely, I'm tired of the "reasonable explanations" for zombies and vampires. I wish Left4Dead had -true- zombies, not "infected". It's like, "oh, no, they can't be undead, that's just too unrealistic!". Puh-leze. "Wait, they're infected instead, yay, that's so much more believable, thus fun!". I disagree. Undead a hell of a lot more fun, and scary, than infected people. For me, at least.

Waiting and hoping for the day when media and games once again feature the real zombies . . .and all the emo anne rice-esque vampires die a quick and horrible death.
i think ive never seen any zombie flick where they call the zombies, zombies, maybe shaun of the dead in some parts, but still some stuff that they say at the end about a sickness...

oh and if you want to see evil bloodthirsty vampires again, you may want to check the hellsing manga and OVAs (the anime its not bad but its not bloody)

a OVA fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMS-eMw1cg&feature=related

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Mariena said:
Mwhahaha. Smallharmlesskitten, you got ooowned!

=P
Limos said:
Hehehe, Smallharmlesskitten got eaten alive.
Thanks you two. I killed him a few times as well.

(I only had the game for two days as well)
That footage mysteriously disappeared and didn't make it into the cut...

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Slycne said:
Mariena said:
Mwhahaha. Smallharmlesskitten, you got ooowned!

=P
Limos said:
Hehehe, Smallharmlesskitten got eaten alive.
Thanks you two. I killed him a few times as well.

(I only had the game for two days as well)
That footage mysteriously disappeared and didn't make it into the cut...
Lies... it's all lies. I'll get you again tomorrow.