Review: Left 4 Dead

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Slycne said:
gmjapan said:
Nice review. Want to levy 1 criticism (and it might be coz i missed it...) you only mention playing as the 4 survivors in co-op. The game can really take off for some people when you play 4v4 taking turnabout as survivors and infected to try and beat the other team.
It can also be played single player but really you dont want to be getting the game for that, it'll get old fast.
The video supplement discusses versus mode.

I pre-ordered the game so that I could get the demo early, and I haven't stopped having a blast playing this game since. I honestly think this might be my game of the year.
Got it for Steam or Xbox? Steam name is Mooshielar. Lets play on expert and cuss about the director together.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
PopcornAvenger said:
As far as "zombie canon" goes, I've an admittedly small nit to pick. Namely, I'm tired of the "reasonable explanations" for zombies and vampires. I wish Left4Dead had -true- zombies, not "infected". It's like, "oh, no, they can't be undead, that's just too unrealistic!". Puh-leze. "Wait, they're infected instead, yay, that's so much more believable, thus fun!". I disagree. Undead a hell of a lot more fun, and scary, than infected people. For me, at least.

Waiting and hoping for the day when media and games once again feature the real zombies . . .and all the emo anne rice-esque vampires die a quick and horrible death.
Meh, I don't care where the zombies are from, but I admit I was sick of all that magical stuff. Not to say non-magically done explantions are always better ("Dead Rising" was rubbish to me). However, I do find rushing towards me undead more troubling than the slow, shambing type. With the shambers, you know you can outrun them, wait until something else distracts them, and then your clear. The running ones have the automatic fear of things charging at you with no sense of self-preservation, and at the same time, you can't outrun them.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
I think soon enough this game will be flooded by 12 Year Olds ramling into my ear that "Thar is a witch!!!111 Lets ALL BE SILENT!!!" and then be the first to make his flashlight on<.<

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Chrinik said:
I think soon enough this game will be flooded by 12 Year Olds ramling into my ear that "Thar is a witch!!!111 Lets ALL BE SILENT!!!" and then be the first to make his flashlight on<.<
Nah, I don't think zombies appeal as much to them - and they'll get tired with being left dead by other team mates for screwing up so much and leave ;)

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Doug said:
Meh, I don't care where the zombies are from, but I admit I was sick of all that magical stuff. Not to say non-magically done explantions are always better ("Dead Rising" was rubbish to me). However, I do find rushing towards me undead more troubling than the slow, shambing type. With the shambers, you know you can outrun them, wait until something else distracts them, and then your clear. The running ones have the automatic fear of things charging at you with no sense of self-preservation, and at the same time, you can't outrun them.
Well, we're talking about two different things here, zombie origin and then speed. I'm fine with fast moving zombies - one of the creepiest and scariest zombie movies was Return of the Living Dead. Hell, even headshots didn't put those things down, you had to dismember them. Braaaaainsssss! I was fine with the explanation it was some top-secret government nerve gas - because even the government couldn't explain the hows or whys as to zombification.

The shamblers are creepy, too. There's this sense of inevitability about them - that no matter how many you kill, eventually, one of thems gonna get ya . . . .

I liked Romero's undead, original or extra-speedy. He never explained the why's or how, although the characters in the movies debated it. Some opted for the plague or virus explanation, but others claimed it was God punishing us - "God wanted to show us what Hate looks like", or "When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth".

Shaun of the Dead was hilarous. Hated 28 Days.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Doug said:
maddog015 said:
Has anyone played Zombie Panic Source? Is there much of a difference between the two games?
I have and I'd say yes. Zombie Panic: Source, whilst good, doesn't match the improved gameplay and team-working of L4D - there is a demo if you want to try it.
demo is no longer available, even if you have the file steam wont let you run it, best thing to do now is run over to the nearest friend who has l4d, bite him till he lets you play ! =D

And yeah i get your previous post i play at night a lot lol but people freaking out over the witch = awesome

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
TsunamiWombat said:
Slycne said:
gmjapan said:
The video supplement discusses versus mode.

I pre-ordered the game so that I could get the demo early, and I haven't stopped having a blast playing this game since. I honestly think this might be my game of the year.
Got it for Steam or Xbox? Steam name is Mooshielar. Lets play on expert and cuss about the director together.
I have it on PC/Steam. If you want to add me, my name is still Slycne on Steam. And yes the AI director can be brutal sometimes. Oh let me spawn a tank for you in this nice confined space where you have no room to run.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Doug said:
PopcornAvenger said:
As far as "zombie canon" goes, I've an admittedly small nit to pick. Namely, I'm tired of the "reasonable explanations" for zombies and vampires. I wish Left4Dead had -true- zombies, not "infected". It's like, "oh, no, they can't be undead, that's just too unrealistic!". Puh-leze. "Wait, they're infected instead, yay, that's so much more believable, thus fun!". I disagree. Undead a hell of a lot more fun, and scary, than infected people. For me, at least.

Waiting and hoping for the day when media and games once again feature the real zombies . . .and all the emo anne rice-esque vampires die a quick and horrible death.
The slow shamblers will be stronger, as opposed to the infected horde that takes a few shots. That's the trade-off I would see. There would probably be more numbers too, but the way the scenarios are in Left4Dead, it's better off the way it is.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
Jordan Deam said:
It will have you huddling so close to your fellow Survivors you'll forget they're likely piloted by a bunch of foul-mouthed pre-teen misfits. Any game that can get stereotypical Xbox players communicating and collaborating deserves more than just rave reviews - it deserves the Nobel f**king Peace Prize.
win.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
I noticed a few things wrong with the review supplement: First off, versus mode has tanks spawn based on how well the survivors are doing (like in the game). It's entirely possible to have no tanks spawn in a round, and once my team had to fight three in a round.

Second, the AI in the game is great for normal and easy mode, but on higher difficulties, especially expert, their love of using health kits at merely yellow health WILL get you killed. And I've encountered AI pathing issues leading to me being killed at full health by a smoker three feet from them (the computers just stood there). The AI is good, but I didn't find them as impressive as in the real game. It would be nice if you could tell your AI counterparts not to heal you, though.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
milskidasith said:
I noticed a few things wrong with the review supplement: First off, versus mode has tanks spawn based on how well the survivors are doing (like in the game). It's entirely possible to have no tanks spawn in a round, and once my team had to fight three in a round.

Second, the AI in the game is great for normal and easy mode, but on higher difficulties, especially expert, their love of using health kits at merely yellow health WILL get you killed. And I've encountered AI pathing issues leading to me being killed at full health by a smoker three feet from them (the computers just stood there). The AI is good, but I didn't find them as impressive as in the real game. It would be nice if you could tell your AI counterparts not to heal you, though.
Agree, the AI does a decent job of sticking with you and covering you and a great job of not shooting you, but they just don't cut the mustard on expert- perhaps because none of them grab grenades and having a teammate who can lob a pipebomb during a rush or throwing down molotovs during a showdown is necessary. Also they tend to run INFRONT of you whilst your shooting, and they waste heal kits.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
milskidasith said:

Thanks for the correction, and agreed on the A.I. issues. The bottom line is that even if Valve could have programmed the A.I. to play perfectly, it still wouldn't be as much fun as playing with three friends. You need someone to share those "oh shit" moments with :)

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Actually, with further testing I have found that you are more correct than I thought (on the tanks, I mean). On the first few stages, they spawn none or one (more likely on later stages). On the second to last stage, they spawn one or two, usually one. On the last stage, they spawn 3: One after a big wave of zombies, one with the second big wave of zombies, and one with the massive wave of zombies at the very end of the level.

Feb 13, 2008
Well, I've played as Zoey versus two 'schwein' friends of mine and I managed the first 3 levels purely by running for the exit at all times.

They're far better shots than me, so they took their time to finish me off. The Hunter and the Tank are a mare to control at times, but nothing is better than a Boomer within a horde.

Any serious player should be able to drop a Smoker with ease, unless he gets some fool off on their own.

And the dirtiest trick of all: Get a Boomer or Smoker to stand behind the Witch. :)

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Smoker's are too weak. They hit too slow and take forever to kill their opponent, and have a horrible recharge time on their toungue. If they did, like, double the damage of the hunter when they hit, I'd be OK with them, but hunters are NEVER worse than smokers except in areas with lots of rooftops and no branching paths (and even then, it's a tie at best).

To the above: There are dirtier tricks than standing near a witch... such as binding K to kill for boomers. You can explode without the survivors having a chance to push you away.