Review: Lego Rock Raiders (1999)

TWiSTEDmerc

Nov 4, 2011
Released: 1999

Difficulty: Hard

Time Spent: 10 to 20 Hours

Headline: Constructionville!!!

Lego rock raiders is technically a RTS game, technically because it does allow you to command your troops and there are some (2) foes to fight off. But this is really far, far more of an explore, extract, gather, create, and manage resource game. This is all the game really gets into; resource management, those looking for action will go as bored as rock in this game (and you may as well stop reading here).

The game follows your Lego Rock Raiders who have recently smashed there spaceship into an asteroid so you go through a barrage of missions to gather lost teammates or get some materials (which is what you actually almost always what you do) so that you can return home. There are 2 resources to mine for, energy crystals which fuel your creations and ore which build your creations ranging from any vehicle to any building that the Lego universe actually has (in the set of Rock Raiders).

You’ll mine till you blast your rocks off! (Sped up gameplay, ignore the audio effects)

The command system is set up for the simplicity of kids, you click on an individual and tell him to do something; but there are no keystroke commands. This technique is obviously a mixed bag problem / solution as it’s hard to figure out who is trained, has certain items, and just where they all went sometimes. But there are bigger problems, even small tasks can require a lot of persistence, and beyond that; commands only input so well. That miner will do one task, give him another while he's doing something and may or may not do it. This somewhat depends on what his current priority is, but usually, it is programming code: sluggish responsiveness and easy to cause command conflict.

You’re gonna want to fire the whole crew but you can't do that; better option: teleport them straight out or let some rock monsters heave them around like a squeaky toy. Never the less, when nobody does what you’re saying and you’re about to lose a 45 minute mission because you haven't built something you should, all's you would like to tell 'em is, "do your god damn job!"

These guys scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

So how in the hell does this game get a 6.5 / 10? well the visuals are gonna glue your eyes to the screen and it sounds god damn great. The Lego creation characters look like actual Lego's and have all the character you could expect... just don't tell them to do too much. The buildings deserve an honorable mention, while it can take a lot of waiting; when a building comes together, it actually builds itself right in front of you. That truly is fascinating no matter how many times you see it happen.

Now the combat, you can train rock raiders to use these beam force weapons; but if a monster arises, you click the battle stations button, and the rock raiders will take care of the rest (hopefully), back to mining… So if you like cautious micromanagement, love those graphic oozing buildings, and enjoyable cut scenes, take a look. Just remember, this is for the joy of mining, expanding, and repeating; but be prepared for some trouble. Action gamers, you should have stopped reading a long time ago.

6.5 / 10 FAIR (PC)

+Really does feel like you’re in the actual LEGO world

+Quirky humour and pleasing look

-/+Simple for kids; but hinders effective tracking

-Skittish AI can require some serious babysitting

-Very repetitive

TWiSTEDmerc

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I loved this game when I was a kid. Maybe I should install it again...*glares at CD Box*

Well, good review I think

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Tigurus said:
I loved this game when I was a kid. Maybe I should install it again...*glares at CD Box*
You and me both, Tigurius.

Nice and compact review, don't have much else to say, except I like the "rules" you've set for yourself concerning length and content of the reviews, especially the ratings. I don't like the idea of putting a numerical value on all of a game's aspects in one pot very much, but I prefer your system over the current "everything under 8 sucks" mentality.

TWiSTEDmerc

Nov 4, 2011
The scores compare to other games from that game's time. I provide a number score to easily summarize the review while the pointers are for more comparisons and the game play videos and review itself guide you to deciding if this is the type of game you'd like to pursue.