Review: Lucidity

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008

Lucidity is an artist's dream - and a game designer's nightmare.

Read Full Article

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Jordan Deam said:
It's not particularly challenging or even fun
Agreed. It has a great visual style, but I didn't enjoy playing it.

The combination of the real-time gameplay, limited 'tool' options, and the level design just made the game frustrating and annoying.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I find myself in full agreement with your review. I was extremely charmed by the art style, the music and the overall atmosphere, but the gameplay just ruined it all for me when failing to get past a particularly troublesome spot for the x-th time was frustrating to the extent of me quitting the game before even finishing the content of the demo.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Jordan Deam said:

Lucidity is an artist's dream - and a game designer's nightmare.

Read Full Article
Count me as glad I waited for a review before being lured by this one. :)

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I tried the demo and did not enjoy it. It was extremely frustrating. Even if you can manage to get her on the right path to collect the fireflies, one slip up and she goes tumbling down. No way back up, and probably too close to something that would kill her. The entire game looks like one massive panic attack of juggling pieces trying to get the one you need with only 2-3 seconds to do it.

I'll stick to games where I control the character and not babysit her.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
That's a shame. I'd heard about this some time ago, and was somewhat intrigued with it. However, the demo, along with this review, has pretty much quashed any inkling to further invest in Lucidity. Thanks for the review!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Its a shame really, as the visuals and details look fantastic. Sad.
heyheysg said:
RELEASE GRIM FANDANGO ON STEAM?!?!
Indeed, but LucasArt's won't do that, as it'd show people how shit there current games are.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
It looks fun and it looks beautiful but if the game play is borin well then that is just a pity // But it is nice to see Lucas art make something else that is not relater to Star Wars

heyheysg said:
RELEASE GRIM FANDANGO ON STEAM?!?!
Also, yes Grim Fandango should be released on steam // They did it for the Oddworld games and I bought thous suckers right up

-M

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Developers should had understood that "luck" is not a good method, it takes away the "Skill" aspect and you end up playing the dice to se if you get the correct number, wich kind of voids the point of a "Video Game"

i was hoping to buy this game, but i hate puzzles where you have no controll of whats happenind, just hoping the right tool will come out

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
It's a shame really. From the moment I first saw this game, I just knew LucasArts would find a way to screw it up. Sure, on rails platforming may never have been my cup of tea, but dammit, as a Graphic Designer, I just hate to see such great visuals go to waste.

heyheysg said:
RELEASE GRIM FANDANGO ON STEAM!!!
Agreed, but LucasArts, listen closely.

-Remake? Bad!
-Re-RELEASE? Fuck yes!

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
heyheysg said:
RELEASE GRIM FANDANGO ON STEAM!!!
Agreed, but LucasArts, listen closely.

-Remake? Bad!
-Re-RELEASE? Fuck yes!
I don't know if they can just port the code from Grim Fandango over to Steam; I remember that game had MASSIVE problems with Direct X update incompatibilities. So if they do decide to go that route, they'll have to overhaul the graphics, all but ensuring a remake.

...but I'd buy it anyway.

Anyhow, shame about Lucidity. It just looks so amazing, it would have fit in quite well with all the cool indie platformers floating about (despite having the Lucasarts pedigree). I'll sadly have to pass on this one.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Well, despite all the reviews I liked Lucidity.
I've collected about 900 fireflies and had a lot of fun with it. Sure, the gameplay is a mess sometimes but you learn to get your head around it at some point.

And yeah: Re-realease Grim Fandago (maybe up the textures a little bit) on XBLA, Steam, PSN, Wii and whatever else there is. This game should be played by anyone!

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
HentMas said:
Developers should had understood that "luck" is not a good method, it takes away the "Skill" aspect and you end up playing the dice to se if you get the correct number, wich kind of voids the point of a "Video Game"

i was hoping to buy this game, but i hate puzzles where you have no controll of whats happenind, just hoping the right tool will come out
So cute, it could have competed with Okami. But you are right, replacing skill with luck, especially BAD luck, is not a good option.

Then again I'm always surprised when newer games revisit bad ideas that went the way of the dinosaurs for a reason. Why are there long-play RPG games with "new" over "load" again? Timed levels without the ability to pause were pretty bad, especially when you had no warning they were coming up. But timed levels with luck-based survival?! No, no, two wrongs really don't make a right!

It's also bad when there is only one way to do something. Everyone doesn't think like the game designer, so other "also correct" options reduce frustration.

Thanks for the clear and honest review. I'm glad you gave it a chance. Maybe they will adjust the errors and re-release it later (perhaps giving you a menu of options or the ability to cycle through choices rather than being at the game's mercy).

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Are you certain it's completely random? That sounds pointless. When I saw a trailer of the game, I just thought it were 'predetermined' brick which you had to use right in order to complete the level.