Review: Madden NFL 11

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
I am happy that this version has created something new for the franchise. Definately need to check it out. I buy one sports game per sport about every 5 years because they end up being just 'roster updates', so perhaps I will pick this one up this half-decade.

Perhaps innovation isn't dead?

Or, perhaps the innovation just needed the pressure of a looming fiscal loss to make it rise from its grave.

Also, what's with all the Funk haters? Seriously?

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Strange amount of hate in this thread, wish people would learn to construct a civilized argument. "I hate you" is not an argument.

OT: Not a fan of sports games in general, but that is quite a nice yearly update if I do say so myself, I like the idea of them telling you to look for an opportunity and that sort of thing, seems nice :).

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
tjspeirs said:
If they made a good product, there wouldn't be as much hate.

Or they could free the license and allow some competition. Or do you support monopolies?
They made a good product that a lot of people like. Just some people can't stop whining about 2k5. If you like 2k5, play 2k5, I like this iteration of Madden. It's my opinion and I'm just as entitled to it as you are. So here's a concept, if you don't like Madden 11, go PLAY SOMETHING ELSE.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
John Funk said:
This is seriously strange, because I haven't had a single game freeze on me. It's possible that I just got lucky - I'm not saying it's NOT an issue, just one I haven't encountered yet. I wonder if it may be a hardware issue.
It could be. I don't have problems with any other game, but I do have an older XBox (an arcade that I bought a hard drive for) and while I don't have problems with other games, there might be something that affects my generation's hardware. It doesn't seem to happen to everybody, but there are enough complaints out there to make me think it's more than JUST my hardware. The older Xbox could very well be part of the problem.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
The hate for Madden was never because the games were BAD, its because they're all basically the same game. I will admit that according to what I've heard, Madden 11 does implement some neat changes, but that doesn't excuse 10 games and 10 years of using a magic vacuum to suck up consumer's money.

The hate is the IDEA of Madden, not the games themselves. I guess the point is, any Madden game was good, but that doesn't mean you can re-release it every damn year.

RangerSERE

May 14, 2010
Everyone's gripes about madden are borderline retarded, but hey everyone has an opinion now a days. Only game I have been looking forward to (on a console) this year.

Oh yes, ESPN did an awesome story on the franchise:

Espn.com article [http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100805/madden]

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
crystalsnow said:
The hate is the IDEA of Madden, not the games themselves. I guess the point is, any Madden game was good, but that doesn't mean you can re-release it every damn year.
While the argument does have some merit, each iteration improves on some things every year. The people that buy it on a yearly basis probably want it because it is a roster update and they are okay with that. Personally, the last Madden I bought was 2007 (and 2003 before that). The improvements in those four years make it a fantastic sequel more than a roster update. No one is telling you to buy it every year so enjoy one for a few years if you don't mind playing with outdated teams.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Wow, now I'm somewhat interested in buying a console.

Edit: Wait is the PS2 version of it basically the same with shittier graphics?

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Rayjay06 said:
crystalsnow said:
While the argument does have some merit, each iteration improves on some things every year. The people that buy it on a yearly basis probably want it because it is a roster update and they are okay with that. Personally, the last Madden I bought was 2007 (and 2003 before that). The improvements in those four years make it a fantastic sequel more than a roster update. No one is telling you to buy it every year so enjoy one for a few years if you don't mind playing with outdated teams.
I'm going to have to agree with him here. Madden fans in general (there are always exceptions) are actually pretty casual gamers. They are on average a bit older. I'm 30 and most the people I know that are big Madden fans are around my age or older. In general they only buy a few games a year, (Madden, maybe another sports title and possibly a fps shooter like Call of Duty or Halo) and they play it all year long, so even the small changes are generally welcome. Being a bit older and usually in more steady income situations they have the discretionary funds that $60 bucks for the game every year isn't that big of deal.

Combine that with the fact many loyal Madden fans have a favorite team and follow them more closely than they did in their younger days, the up to date rosters mean that much more. Playing without their new big free agent signings and impact rookies just isn't as fun.

If I remember right, the general age on this forum is something like 17-22. When I was that age, I loved Madden, but I didn't have the time to follow the NFL close enough to care (and my team stunk...really, really stunk). Plus the price tag was a big chunk of change when money was harder to come by.

I do wish Madden had and NFL licensed competitor again as I think that would drive the quality up even faster, but the yearly releases don't bother me. I don't disagree with those that hate it though, I just think in general they may not be the target audience for the yearly release.

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
John Funk said:
leviticusd said:
The new play-calling has made online enjoyable for the first time for me. I wish there was a mode so that you could only use flowcast and default audibles. There is still too much time waiting for your opponent hunting around for that perfect play they like to exploit. Ultimate team is fun as well though it is easy to get a real mismatch in players if you get someone who buys a lot of packs, but that has only happened once to me.

The big beef is FREEZING!!! About every other game in offline franchise (my favorite mode) freezes. It looks like this is a common problem in both Xbox and PS3 (I'm an XBox) in off-season mode and I hope it gets fixed.

The most underrated improvement is the smarter blocking AI. It really improves the running game and combined with the removal of the pointless boost button makes it fun to play run oriented offenses again. They fixed the receiving animation choices which were terrible last year which is a plus as well.

All in all I think the tweaks were good and as long as the freezing is addressed, it's not bad. If you hate Madden in general this one will probably not change your mind, but for those that play it at least semi-regularly it is steps in the right directions.
This is seriously strange, because I haven't had a single game freeze on me. It's possible that I just got lucky - I'm not saying it's NOT an issue, just one I haven't encountered yet. I wonder if it may be a hardware issue.
To stick up for my buddy Jason (but with much less fervor) I do agree that this game really isn't that streamlined. Most of the menus could have been cut down or switched around for ease of access, and with the technology that most devs have at their fingertips, the visual presentation could have been better as well.

However, I think the big issue that Jason didn't touch on was that it doesn't help if you have your dev team working on an MMA game at the same time (that they have no business making considering EA Canada is the better pick) that you're working on THE football game everyone plays. I personally think that the game suffers for it.

Then again, "I personally think" is the key phrase here. It's just an opinion, and those corporate cash-in complaints and such really are best left to editorials. When reviewing a game, the impression I've always been given is that you review the game itself, not the B.S. surrounding it so you can do your best to stay unbiased. Well, in a written review anyway. Video reviews are a different beast, and they tend to be more of a mix between editorial and review than anything.

Your review was well written from a grammatical standpoint, and you do a solid job of giving your perspective, but I don't think many will agree.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Well after reading your review John, I got a couple of things to say. First, it was a well written review and you did a good job giving your opinion, but I don't agree with you at all. This has to be the worst Madden game, no worst football game I have played in a long time. If you truly like this game, and feel that its the best football game out there, then more power to you. This is one game I will warn everyone that I can to stay away from.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
tjspeirs said:
I watched LordKaT play this game over his livestream. In the first game he played, there were at least 10 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and easily 10 hurt players on both his _and_ the computer opponent's teams.

...what?!

How is that even possible? Because it was raining?! Can't really accept that unless it was raining olive oil! This says nothing of the pathetic looking crowd (literally one group of maybe 15 people that don't fill half the seats) and the fact that New Meadowlands Stadium doesn't exist in this game. That's really pathetic.
Well it would seem that me and Lordkat have been having this same problem. Almost every game I have played so far this would happen.
Then again, maybe me and him just were unlucky enough to get bad copies of the game? I mean every review I have read of this game is telling me that nothing like this could ever happen, because this is the best football game ever.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
MrSimony said:
I need to stick my nose into this, because I can NOT allow more people wasting their money on this piece of lazy-ass horse shit, and if I can sway one person I'll know I've done my job.

First, you have ignored ALL statements about the graphics. They're lazy, really fucking lazy. The field looks like shit, the players look like shit, and the crowd looks like, guess what? Shit. Plus, the titantron shows everything that happens onscreen, including arrows and HUD.

GameFlow? It almost seems like something for players that don't like football. Which is FUCKING POINTLESS since people who don't like football have no fucking excuse to play this game.

Nothing is realistic to the point, the music is cheap and generic, the game is buggy as hell, and reactions from the players and commentators are bullcock. I cannot believe anybody, football fan or not, can enjoy this shitfest. You either didn't play the fucking game properly, or you suck EA's big blue elephant cock.

Oh, and PS, this isn't just some random person's opinion or anything, I'm currently in an IRC chat, who shared these opinions with me, and I put them all into a nice pile. Have fun, shitfuck.
Looks like someone is upset about their ban in an earlier post here. (I will assume that's you)

I haven't picked it up yet but this poster clearly influenced me to buy the game. Thank you

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
jp201 said:
Looks like someone is upset about their ban in an earlier post here. (I will assume that's you)

I haven't picked it up yet but this poster clearly influenced me to buy the game. Thank you
Or it could be a LordKaT fan who just saw the video he posted. But even if it is him, I don't particularly blame him, even if he is being a bit too hostile about it. He's genuinely pissed about paying 60$ for this game. I am too honestly. And I went ahead and bought it because of this review. Well, pissed is probably too harsh, since I don't really care about a lousy sixty bucks, but the fact that the money goes to a company that made a game I find so infuriatingly bad... I probably shouldn't dwell on it too much, otherwise I'll start foaming at the mouth.

But yeah, after playing the game, I have a hard time believing Funk likes Football, ever played a football game, or hasn't been paid off. The game is simply that bad. I'd recommend finding LordKaT's video on it before you buy it, as it sums up a good portion of the problems. Mind you, it doesn't touch on all the problems, which says a lot.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
infinity_turtles said:
jp201 said:

Or it could be a LordKaT fan who just saw the video he posted. But even if it is him, I don't particularly blame him, even if he is being a bit too hostile about it. He's genuinely pissed about paying 60$ for this game. I am too honestly. And I went ahead and bought it because of this review. Well, pissed is probably too harsh, since I don't really care about a lousy sixty bucks, but the fact that the money goes to a company that made a game I find so infuriatingly bad... I probably shouldn't dwell on it too much, otherwise I'll start foaming at the mouth.

But yeah, after playing the game, I have a hard time believing Funk likes Football, ever played a football game, or hasn't been paid off. The game is simply that bad. I'd recommend finding LordKaT's video on it before you buy it, as it sums up a good portion of the problems. Mind you, it doesn't touch on all the problems, which says a lot.
About that video of lordkat's you mentioned, I found it. That video sums up exactly how I feel about this game. I couldn't agree more with the guy, I also recomend that you watch this guy's vid, even if you don't agree with him he brings up a lot stuff that's wrong with the game.

ubeenpaidoffbro

Aug 18, 2010
jp201 said:

LordKat is a reviewer and publisher of a video series, and he just posted a video about his complaints on this game. That's just one of his fans, I'm sure. Also, I would think you wasting $60 of your money on something you won't enjoy would make someone very happy if they didn't like you.Just saying.

I watched LordKat play a total of probably 6 hours of this game over Ustream, and I can concur that this game is horribly broken. He had one game where it was raining, and he ended up with about 6 injuries in one game. One of which included a player breaking BOTH of his legs; who miraculously recovered and was ready for play by NEXT WEEK.

The UI is jacked up, the graphics look like they belong on the PS2, you can run THROUGH the stadium, the game freezes, there are a total of about 3 different fans in the stadium, the "my skill level" option is broken and goes from way too easy to insanely difficult before leveling out again, the injury system is wacked out, the players and coaches look nothing like their real-life counterparts, and there's a whole list of other things wrong in this game that I won't even get into.

And before anyone says anything about NFL2k and tries to write off comments as "well he's just a crazy NFL2k fan....", I've never played NFL2k. I have only played Madden football games and the NFL blitz on N64.

Honestly, the makers of madden don't care anymore. They have a monopoly on the NFL franchise, they can turn out whatever quality they want, and it doesn't matter. If you want NFL, you have to choose between their game and nothing.

If this is a 5-star game, I suggest buying a copy of Shaq-Fu or Bebe's Kids. I'm sure you'll find hours of enjoyment there, too.

Alfougin

Aug 18, 2010
I readily admit to not having played this game and to having no real interest in sports myself. However, I know those who do not share either of these qualities with myself. My friends who are football and Madden fans never used the gameflow feature because it suggests ludicrous plays that would not be effective in the given situation. The majority who play Madden are those who know what plays are counters for others, what style of playbook teams utilize, making gameflow an unwanted addition that solely clutters the menu. In the case of those new to Madden, it removes the process of choosing your own plays and developing your own style. I would call it akin to the Auto-Ability choice in Final Fantasy 13. It is useful to some, able to get you through the game, and may appear to streamline it, but rarely the best solution to the problem you are faced with.