Review: Madden NFL 11

oO Apathy oO

Aug 18, 2010
I have to say..I couldn't agree with LordKat's video more. This game is a slap in the face to anyone who not only considers themselves a gamer but to anyone who has played a Madden game before. I have never, in my life, played a version of Madden that actually looked worse than the previous years incarnation. The MOCAP in this game is nothing short of pathetic and the player models look absolutely terrible! In regards to the game play: The running game has been stripped down to its bare bones (Why in the world would you remove the sprint button?!)..The new momentum running feature is broken simply due to the fact that as SOON as a player makes a cut or attempts to juke, all momentum disappears and you're left trying to virtually WALK up field. Last I checked people were able to make lateral movements while keeping most of their forward momentum....As far as the passing game goes: Well, that's just it...it DOESN'T! Gone are the days of threading the ball in between two defenders with accuracy and the combination of the left thumbstick pointed towards the appropriate area (either behind, above, over the shoulder or in the chest of the receiver) and the proper press of the pass button (B or O -tap for a lob or press and hold for a bullet). So not only is running the ball as pseudo as it can get, the passing game is about as inaccurate and undependable as Alex Smith, down by 7 in the 4th quarter, under pressure while going deep on 3rd and long from the opponents 30. EA and any reviewer(s) / website / blogger etc...should be ashamed of themselves for putting out and supporting such an obvious cash in and half assed attempt...

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
jp201 said:
MrSimony said:
I need to stick my nose into this, because I can NOT allow more people wasting their money on this piece of lazy-ass horse shit, and if I can sway one person I'll know I've done my job.

First, you have ignored ALL statements about the graphics. They're lazy, really fucking lazy. The field looks like shit, the players look like shit, and the crowd looks like, guess what? Shit. Plus, the titantron shows everything that happens onscreen, including arrows and HUD.

GameFlow? It almost seems like something for players that don't like football. Which is FUCKING POINTLESS since people who don't like football have no fucking excuse to play this game.

Nothing is realistic to the point, the music is cheap and generic, the game is buggy as hell, and reactions from the players and commentators are bullcock. I cannot believe anybody, football fan or not, can enjoy this shitfest. You either didn't play the fucking game properly, or you suck EA's big blue elephant cock.

Oh, and PS, this isn't just some random person's opinion or anything, I'm currently in an IRC chat, who shared these opinions with me, and I put them all into a nice pile. Have fun, shitfuck.
Looks like someone is upset about their ban in an earlier post here. (I will assume that's you)

I haven't picked it up yet but this poster clearly influenced me to buy the game. Thank you
Assume makes an Ass out of u and me.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
"OMG. THIS GAME IS LIKE THE SAME EVERY YEAR AND BOO FUCKING HOO I AM A CORE BABY AND A CRYBABY. HA. HA. HA. SEE WHAT I DID THERE? I'M A LITTLE WHINY *****."

That's what I read from a lot of people here. Go play your generic FPS, which are all the same. And they're not even limited to one or three franchises. Every god damn FPS is the same. Every RTS is basically the same.

And people are hating because a sports game 'doesn't seem to change'. What the fuck is there to change? It's not like the fucking framework of the sport changes every year. When dealing with sportsgames it's not about innovation, it's about improvement. Go gobble a cock.

Anyway. Not a fan of American Handegg, but as a fan of the FIFA series, this kind of misplaced hatred gets on my nerves.

All the power to John "Can't Fake The" Funk for enjoying this game, though!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CynicalMarcus said:
John Funk said:
leviticusd said:
The new play-calling has made online enjoyable for the first time for me. I wish there was a mode so that you could only use flowcast and default audibles. There is still too much time waiting for your opponent hunting around for that perfect play they like to exploit. Ultimate team is fun as well though it is easy to get a real mismatch in players if you get someone who buys a lot of packs, but that has only happened once to me.

The big beef is FREEZING!!! About every other game in offline franchise (my favorite mode) freezes. It looks like this is a common problem in both Xbox and PS3 (I'm an XBox) in off-season mode and I hope it gets fixed.

The most underrated improvement is the smarter blocking AI. It really improves the running game and combined with the removal of the pointless boost button makes it fun to play run oriented offenses again. They fixed the receiving animation choices which were terrible last year which is a plus as well.

All in all I think the tweaks were good and as long as the freezing is addressed, it's not bad. If you hate Madden in general this one will probably not change your mind, but for those that play it at least semi-regularly it is steps in the right directions.
This is seriously strange, because I haven't had a single game freeze on me. It's possible that I just got lucky - I'm not saying it's NOT an issue, just one I haven't encountered yet. I wonder if it may be a hardware issue.
To stick up for my buddy Jason (but with much less fervor) I do agree that this game really isn't that streamlined. Most of the menus could have been cut down or switched around for ease of access, and with the technology that most devs have at their fingertips, the visual presentation could have been better as well.

However, I think the big issue that Jason didn't touch on was that it doesn't help if you have your dev team working on an MMA game at the same time (that they have no business making considering EA Canada is the better pick) that you're working on THE football game everyone plays. I personally think that the game suffers for it.

Then again, "I personally think" is the key phrase here. It's just an opinion, and those corporate cash-in complaints and such really are best left to editorials. When reviewing a game, the impression I've always been given is that you review the game itself, not the B.S. surrounding it so you can do your best to stay unbiased. Well, in a written review anyway. Video reviews are a different beast, and they tend to be more of a mix between editorial and review than anything.

Your review was well written from a grammatical standpoint, and you do a solid job of giving your perspective, but I don't think many will agree.
When we review a game, our job is to review the game that we have in front of us. Not drama surrounding the dev team, not who is making it, not even other games coming out at the same time. I plunked down $60 for the game to review it, I need to give a judgment call.

I gave the game a fair call as I saw it after a weekend of solid play, and anything surrounding the MMA game is really irrelevant.

MrSimony said:
I need to stick my nose into this, because I can NOT allow more people wasting their money on this piece of lazy-ass horse shit, and if I can sway one person I'll know I've done my job.

First, you have ignored ALL statements about the graphics. They're lazy, really fucking lazy. The field looks like shit, the players look like shit, and the crowd looks like, guess what? Shit. Plus, the titantron shows everything that happens onscreen, including arrows and HUD.

GameFlow? It almost seems like something for players that don't like football. Which is FUCKING POINTLESS since people who don't like football have no fucking excuse to play this game.

Nothing is realistic to the point, the music is cheap and generic, the game is buggy as hell, and reactions from the players and commentators are bullcock. I cannot believe anybody, football fan or not, can enjoy this shitfest. You either didn't play the fucking game properly, or you suck EA's big blue elephant cock.

Oh, and PS, this isn't just some random person's opinion or anything, I'm currently in an IRC chat, who shared these opinions with me, and I put them all into a nice pile. Have fun, shitfuck.
How wonderful that you came here from an echo chamber that reaffirms your views, because I've had the complete opposite reaction. Protip: Learn how to debate like an actual person instead of a rage-filled pre-teen and you might have a point. Criticism is welcome, flaming will get you a boot to the rear.

infinity_turtles said:
jp201 said:
Looks like someone is upset about their ban in an earlier post here. (I will assume that's you)

I haven't picked it up yet but this poster clearly influenced me to buy the game. Thank you
Or it could be a LordKaT fan who just saw the video he posted. But even if it is him, I don't particularly blame him, even if he is being a bit too hostile about it. He's genuinely pissed about paying 60$ for this game. I am too honestly. And I went ahead and bought it because of this review. Well, pissed is probably too harsh, since I don't really care about a lousy sixty bucks, but the fact that the money goes to a company that made a game I find so infuriatingly bad... I probably shouldn't dwell on it too much, otherwise I'll start foaming at the mouth.

But yeah, after playing the game, I have a hard time believing Funk likes Football, ever played a football game, or hasn't been paid off. The game is simply that bad. I'd recommend finding LordKaT's video on it before you buy it, as it sums up a good portion of the problems. Mind you, it doesn't touch on all the problems, which says a lot.
Yes, because I haven't directly played three football games this year (one of which was by EA Tiburon...?) and found this the best of the three. Or haven't actually PLAYED football for seven years in my life ;)

I review the experience I have with a game, and it was bar none the most fun I've had with a football game since playing NCAA with my buddies in college. If this isn't your experience with the game, then I'm sorry, but I can't base my review off of what someone else had happen to them; in what universe is that fair?

I found Madden NFL 11 more than worth my $60, which was something I was not expecting.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The number of 1 post users signing up and supporting someone who got his arse (rightly) banned has raised red flags to me.

Not that I care about American Faux Rugby, anyway. Why the hell should play stop just because I got tackled? [/troll]

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
From what I've seen there must be some bad copies of the game going out or people are in a massive QQ about having to shove another $60 into a madden 11 game in order to continue playing online with friends/other people.

To many first post accounts made at same time to trust anything that person has said.

I'll trust Funk over you sorry

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
John Funk said:
The Superstar mode - where you create a rookie player and make them into a legend - isn't as fun as it could be.
It never is. The only positive experience I've had with the career modes of EA's Football titles would be the Campus Legend mode in NCAA 07 for the Original Xbox. Mostly because they still let you call the plays, manage the team, change players, and set the camera to a normal game perspective. Oh, and listening to Lee and Kirk announce that my player broke the NCAA sack record my senior year was pretty awesome. It felt like you were still playing a game of NCAA 07, but you had a personal stake in one of the players on that field. The more recent games feel more like a game of NCAA with the majority of the features ripped out.

Now I can understand them taking away the team management and play calling abilities to keep it 'realistic'. But they should still let you have the option to allow those features when you start a career. Yeah, people can abuse it, but it is their game. If they want to mess around with it, let them. The purists will still play it straight. Hell I benched myself my freshman year, simply because I couldn't justify to myself starting a true freshman over Paul Posluszny and Dan Connor.

Another big gripe I have with the career modes is the immersion factor, and presentation. During normal games, it's presented as a live broadcast with different camera angles, and color commentary. Actually, this is probably the reason I don't like not having the ability to call plays or manage the team. During career mode games, they ditch the commentary and team management, but keep everything else. This totally breaks the immersion, because right off the bat, it just feels the same but off in some way.

If they're going to present it as you being on the field, they have to do it right. First off, they need to tweak the camera. Put the camera in the huddle between plays. Don't have it cut around the stadium like a broadcast. Keep it near your player. Have the coordinators replace the announcers for between-play dialogue. Give more voice to the players on your team. Have them congratulate you for big plays, and get audibly fired up. Cut to the locker room for half time, and before big playoff or rivalry games. Things like that. Just make it more immersive.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
As an example of how not to present a different view, this thread delivers. Inverse barometers are tricky instruments, but this one seems pretty clearly marked.

Me and Funk disagree more than we agree, but I would never put the black spot on him. You can think he's woolly headed, narrow minded, or bass-ackwards (you'd be 1/3 right, but I'm not saying which), but none of those seem worthy of a carelessly labeled "go die" pseudo-joke.

Actually, let me attempt some reverse magic:

Hey, Funk! Your Madden review affects me none! WHY DON'T YOU WALK INTO A CORNER AND LIVE!!!

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
If you don't like American Football (which come on is the real football) then your not gonna like this game. Sure there are a few complaints like superstar mode could be done a lot better but overall I would give it a 4/5. Very well done but still some room for improvement.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
jp201 said:
If you don't like American Football (which come on is the real football)
Oh no it's not! It's just a bad copy of rugby, which in turn is a deviation of association football (which is probably the closest we get to *actual* ye olde Middle Ages football were it not for the lack of blunt weaponry.)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The only thing I could do while watching my buddy play this (I don't have the first clue about playing Football Sims, so all I could was watch) is laugh at the Clone Army Crowd.
It's like there's some unseen, off-camera man holding up cue cards on the jumbotron:
"Blue Shirts: Jump up and dance!"
"Now...Green Shirts: Boo!"
"Blue Shirts: Sit and shake your arms!"

They all perform the same action at the same time. It's a riot.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm...I'm going to actually try this out.

TO THE DEMOS!
So I'm not the only one with this independent thought!

Ah who am I kidding I'll never get around to this when there are far more other games out there I wanna try out ;).

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
This is by far the greatest thread I've ever read. One guy who failed physics desperately trying to be noticed after making as many hotmail accounts as he could think of.

Funk, that was an excellent review. I usually never agree with you, but after actually playing the game, it's the best the series has ever been.

Shame it suffers from Alpha Protocol syndrome - legions of people (or in this case, a couple) who never played the game screaming about how terrible it is.

MrFarquar

Mar 29, 2010
might get this seasons update, iv missed the last few so this might really bring a feel of NEW to the game.. =]

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
JEBWrench said:
This is by far the greatest thread I've ever read. One guy who failed physics desperately trying to be noticed after making as many hotmail accounts as he could think of.

Funk, that was an excellent review. I usually never agree with you, but after actually playing the game, it's the best the series has ever been.

Shame it suffers from Alpha Protocol syndrome - legions of people (or in this case, a couple) who never played the game screaming about how terrible it is.
QFT; every SINGLE part of your post QFT

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
John Funk said:
Review: Madden NFL 11

It's really not just a yearly roster update.

Read Full Article
Funk, I haven't played since 08. Can you take your custom made play books online and onto franchise mode? You couldn't on 08 if I remember correctly. It really bugged me.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Spinozaad said:
And people are hating because a sports game 'doesn't seem to change'. What the fuck is there to change? It's not like the fucking framework of the sport changes every year. When dealing with sportsgames it's not about innovation, it's about improvement. Go gobble a cock.
No, I'm hating on it because of it's a huge ass backslide. I know football games don't innovate. They improve. I'm fine with that. Hell, I'd be fine with this game if it was just a roster update from last year. But it isn't. It's significantly worse than last year's game. Hence the problem.

John Funk said:
I suppose there isn't much else to say then, because with glaring flaws with the injury system, the way rain turns every match into a fumble contest, gameflow calling the most idiotic plays imaginable, players running through the stadium, horrible menu systems, long loading times where there should be none(Changing position in player creation for starters), my skill difficulty setting jumping around, clipping sounds, and more things that weren't even mentioned, I find it hard to believe this review can be both genuine and informed.

JEBWrench said:

LordKaT is a member of Channel Awesome from Thatguywiththeglasses. He also has a lot of fans, pretty much having two-hundred or so people watching his UStream at all times. He posted a video ranting on Madden, and mentioned John Funk and The Escapist. It's reasonable to assume some of his fans may have registered to complain.

Also, I played the game. I also played the previous few Madden games. I like them. I don't like this one. It's terrible. *edit* Oh, and I liked Alpha Protocol.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
infinity_turtles said:
Spinozaad said:
No, I'm hating on it because of it's a huge ass backslide. I know football games don't innovate. They improve. I'm fine with that. Hell, I'd be fine with this game if it was just a roster update from last year. But it isn't. It's significantly worse than last year's game. Hence the problem.

John Funk said:
I suppose there isn't much else to say then, because with glaring flaws with the injury system, the way rain turns every match into a fumble contest, gameflow calling the most idiotic plays imaginable, players running through the stadium, horrible menu systems, long loading times where there should be none(Changing position in player creation for starters), my skill difficulty setting jumping around, clipping sounds, and more things that weren't even mentioned, I find it hard to believe this review can be both genuine and informed.

JEBWrench said:

LordKaT is a member of Channel Awesome from Thatguywiththeglasses. He also has a lot of fans, pretty much having two-hundred or so people watching his UStream at all times. He posted a video ranting on Madden, and mentioned John Funk and The Escapist. It's reasonable to assume some of his fans may have registered to complain.

Also, I played the game. I also played the previous few Madden games. I like them. I don't like this one. It's terrible. *edit* Oh, and I liked Alpha Protocol.
And I played the game for a weekend and never encountered any of those issues. Do you expect me to review a game based on an experience I never had? Do you expect me to just read forum complaints and go "Oh, I must not have had the right experience"?

And sorry, you'll forgive me for not really caring what some video blogger thinks. I played the game, I had my experiences as a fan of football and someone who played three football games to review this summer, and I stand by my review exactly as written. (And just now looking at some other professional reviews, I'm not alone).

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
John Funk said:
And I played the game for a weekend and never encountered any of those issues. Do you expect me to review a game based on an experience I never had? Do you expect me to just read forum complaints and go "Oh, I must not have had the right experience"?

And sorry, you'll forgive me for not really caring what some video streamer thinks. I played the game, I had my experiences as a fan of football and someone who played three football games to review this summer, and I stand by my review exactly as written. (And just now looking at some other professional reviews, I'm not alone).
Since we both seem to be repeating ourselves, I'll just clarify that I meant I found it hard to believe that after playing the game all weekend like you say, you didn't run into any of these issues. And I wasn't telling who LordKaT was due to anything you said. It was in response to people accusing the one shot posters of being him.

Insaneiac

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk? You are everything I will aspire to never be like when I get into game reviewing. I mean seriously. Were you drunk? Were you stoned? Were you bribed? Did they hold your family hostage? Did you pay someone to write this? Was this a trial you had to undertake to earn greater power? Did this simply fall into your lap from a parallel dimension and you thought "Cool! More time to play better games."? Seriously, help me out here. Call it optimism that I don't really believe anyone can be this blind.

You did get one thing right. This isn't a yearly roster update. It's the biggest step backwards I've ever seen a long standing franchise take. It's an insult to the fans of Madden, especially ones that are also true blue fans of the NFL. The only thing missing is John Madden himself laughing at you for being stupid enough to buy this corporate cash-in.

And maybe if I hadn't already turned my copy back in and got a credit off of on a good game (Used copy of Red Dead Redemption. Guess who didn't have to pay $10 to start playing that online?) I might have done a counter review to this one, showcasing how every positive point you've made is either a bold faced lie or completely ignores the multitude of negatives that invalidate it.

The only thing worse than this game was this review. Which in itself is an accomplishment so...congratulations.