Review: Madden NFL 11

CAfan

Aug 18, 2010
John Funk said:
And sorry, you'll forgive me for not really caring what some video blogger thinks.
He certainly didn't show you any respect, but you can at least have some respect on your end though.

He is a part of thatguywiththeglasses.com which is almost as popular as Escapist Magazine:

His personal website is almost as popular as Warcry:

And he has nearly ten times the twitter followers as you do. Its also already been mentioned that he has somewhere between 200-500 people watching him on his ustream at live.lordkat.com 24/7, even while he sleeps!

Not that popularity has anything to do with who's right, I just think it would be wise not to treat others like lowly insignificant web bloggers when they actually have a large following and represent a lot of people.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Spinozaad said:
And people are hating because a sports game 'doesn't seem to change'. What the fuck is there to change? It's not like the fucking framework of the sport changes every year. When dealing with sportsgames it's not about innovation, it's about improvement. Go gobble a cock.
Good point...

...Except that a vast majority of the complaints were indeed over the quality of the actual game and barely any that panned the games innovation. Just watch LordKaT's video. Even though I never played the game before and I think he was out of line for calling Funk out for having his own opinion, his complaints were based on the quality and not on the innovation. As for the people who are complaining about innovation, they are admittedly missing the point of sports games. Though, you have to admit having a new game in the same series for a year over nearly 20 years is just sad, regardless of genre. Plus, just because a game is based on a sport, it doesn't mean they can't try something new.

Alfougin

Aug 18, 2010
Mr. Funk, simply going by the fact that a Madden game is getting good reviews is not the wisest of ideas to defend your position. Reviews of franchises as big as Madden tend to be some of the most corrupt and brown-nosed of written or spoken considerations. Especially when said franchise has a monopoly on a particular market, which regardless of how many football games are made in a year Madden does have a monopoly on players. As for a counter to your review itself, upon viewing more of this game I cannot fathom how anyone could say it has decent graphics when compared to the majority of games currently on the market for the 360 or PS3. Its textures look like they belong in the last generation of consoles to be considered decent and the graphics as a whole fail to compare to the better looking games on the previous consoles. If all else fails, stating this game looks good or faithfully renders everything (I have heard it is using one or two stadiums that no longer exist) does put your personal credibility into question.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
My oh my, aren't we having LordKat followers on these forums? I know him from "Until we Win" videos on the most challenging video games of the NES era.

But I'll have to agree with LordKat. It's the same series since John Madden got his game debut and the "If ain't broke, don't fix it" formula of Madden seems to work. And yes, Madden has been bashed by all sides of gamers, much more hatred than jRPGs.

But threatening or wanting a reviewer to die kinda crosses the line though.

TarkXT

Sep 7, 2009
I think part of this massive dichotomy stems from two things.

1. All we have from Mr. Funk (heh) is his word. Sadly we didn't see him play all through the weekend. And I didn't pay much attention so I'm not entirely sure whether he got a review copy or one he got from the local best buy or whatever.

2. LordKat on the other hand went to the store, plunked down 60$ and played it over his livestream. Not just seasonal, but also numerous multiplayer games with other TGWTG contributors including Noah Antwiler. Over the same course of time.

The difference here is that Mr. Funk sadly didn't have 200-800 witnesses watching him play the game at differing points of the day. And from what I've heard and seen he CONTINUES to play the game over livestream.

Ultimately both had differing opinions. However the biggest difference, and the one that had likely enraged Jason the most, was that Mr. Funk is a Professional Writer and Reviewer. Meaning that in his, and mine for that matter, mind he should have been absolutely truthful and fair. Instead we have a shining review for a game that was technically rushed, unpolished, difficult to handle, and an insult to the system it belongs to. When LordKAt does a review only a few hundred people at most will see it. However, Mr. Funk's short article will get thousands of views. Thousands of people will be influenced by that weekend of play that only he has seen. So, from that point of view I can see where one might feel a great injustice has been wrought.

Now, as to whether or not Mr. Funk got lucky or not in my mind that doesn't matter. If differing regions or stores are getting differing qualities of game that means quite simply the manufacturing and coding are shoddy and terrible. Just because your crappy car has never exploded while ten others have doesn't make that a generally safe car. Also saying that you drove even crappier cars within the past year doesn't really help your argument. Being the king of the poo still makes you a big pile of poo.

In the end Mr. Bullara overreacted. Poor guy does have something of a temper. But most if not all his points are right and are even backed up with eyewitness testimony and recordings. And his fans are rushing to his defense not only because they're his fans but because they are witnesses to what they feel is a great misstep.

And thus we come to the crux of the issue We want to believe Mr. Funk because he is a professional and is paid to be honest. However that job is made all the more difficult if he gives a good review when hundreds of others witnessed the actual work in progress for playing and reviewing a game that found obvious and glaring flaws in quality. Add to the fact that the man is not about to bring a camera into his living room and show the world how he plays madden in his underpants and it adds a whole new level of difficulty to the problem. And let's not forget that little thing called ad revenue. I can't sa for certain where the majority of the Escapists funds come from but LordKat's money comes purely through the number of views he has and merchandise he sells. He has no control over the ads that show up over Blip whereas The Escapist has to attract advertisers. So it makes one wonder whether or not reviewers are forced to smile and bear it to ensure they can pay this months rent. And with that knowledge in the hands of the readers it makes the job still more difficult.

Wow that was long. I'm going to go back to bed now.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
You guys remember that time when the Escapist didn't have a star rating system? What terrible and confusing times those were. Now there is no more confusion!

Everyone should take a step back though. What we have here is a miscommunication between two people who really should be on the same team.

As much as Team LordKat would like to believe, Funk was not paid off and this is not some kind of unspoken breach in gaming critique.
As much as Team Funk would like to believe, LordKat is not a vile creature, even though he and his fanbase have become pretty heated.

These two people have very different perspectives and methods of reviewing a game and LordKat was not happy with what he saw in John Funk's review, LordKat then quickly made a brash response over many different mediums (comments, Twitter, videos on his website) that involved criticizing Funk as a person and Escapist Magazine as a whole. It was completely inappropriate, and this whole fight is hurting everyone involved, especially fans of both parties, The Guy With The Glasses, and Escapist Magazine.

This game is a game - it is allowed to be taken differently by different people. Both sides (Funk and LordKat) have very distinct and different claims to the game and their reviews, so little else needs to be said.

Finally, yes, new people have joined the forums just to comment on this issue - this does not make the trolls, this makes them INSPIRED, and I'd like to welcome them as they bring new perspectives that we may have not seen previously in this thread or forum.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, there is a large and glaring difference between "you're wrong, here's why" and "you're wrong, go die in a hole". If you can't tell the difference (and judging from his posts here, LordKaT can't), then please get lost.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Ultimately, there is a large and glaring difference between "you're wrong, here's why" and "you're wrong, go die in a hole". If you can't tell the difference (and judging from his posts here, LordKaT can't), then please get lost.
then begone, if you can't even care to look at both reviews done by both sides then you are just as bad.

Beside who actually come here for more than Yahtzee anymore anyway. this review has fully sparked drama and yahtzee's video has already doubled the comments with just people saying "good review." I mean really shouldn't you guys get off it and stop fan-boying out. Funk is still a reviewer and LordKat still doesn't give a shit about it and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:
then begone, if you can't even care to look at both reviews done by both sides then you are just as bad.

Beside who actually come here for more than Yahtzee anymore anyway. this review has fully sparked drama and yahtzee's video has already doubled the comments with just people saying "good review." I mean really shouldn't you guys get off it and stop fan-boying out. Funk is still a reviewer and LordKat still doesn't give a shit about it and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.
Meh. That may be true, but I don't give a damn about EA Sports games anyway. Although if you (generic you, not you specifically) can't articulate an opposing view to a review without wishing the reviewer fired or dead, then I ain't interested. (Even though as far as I'm concerned, it could be crap in a box or gold in a box, I still wouldn't buy it. Oh, and it's LRR)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TarkXT said:

1. All we have from Mr. Funk (heh) is his word. Sadly we didn't see him play all through the weekend. And I didn't pay much attention so I'm not entirely sure whether he got a review copy or one he got from the local best buy or whatever.
I bought it with my own $60 from the own local gamestop. I plan on playing the hell out of it with my little brother next week when I go on vacation to spend time with the family. Man, I wish EA was paying me off, because then it would have made buying new tires less of a pain :p

I call it like I see it; I can't see what I don't call. I've talked with some other reviewers whom I personally trust at other publications, and... I still haven't found anyone there who'd had this sort of experience. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, but I still haven't seen it.

Anyone is completely entitled to their own opinion as well as disagreeing with our reviews; it's all in how you do it.

vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Actually, looking at our numbers, you'd be very surprised. :) It's more that the community (as a whole) doesn't really care much about sports games more than anything.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
John Funk said:
tjspeirs said:
I watched LordKaT play this game over his livestream. In the first game he played, there were at least 10 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and easily 10 hurt players on both his _and_ the computer opponent's teams.

...what?!

How is that even possible? Because it was raining?! Can't really accept that unless it was raining olive oil! This says nothing of the pathetic looking crowd (literally one group of maybe 15 people that don't fill half the seats) and the fact that New Meadowlands Stadium doesn't exist in this game. That's really pathetic.
See, that's funny, because I played the game all weekend and never saw a thing like that. The worst that happened was a one-in-a-million glitch where a field goal hit an upright and didn't go in, but the announcers acted like it did.

So, I guess it's fair to say that this one experience isn't anywhere near norm :)

LordKaT said:
Freebird. said:
Just a small tip if you want to stay around here. Don't wish death on staff members. Surely you can see why that's a stupid thing to do.
Protip: Comedy exists outside of your Yhatzee. Sometimes people even use it to emphasize a point in their criticism of an article.

In either case, ban me, probation, whatever you do. It's your community, and I don't particularly care about it. I still think the staff member in question is so phenomenally stupid that they really should never write another article again and instead get a job working in a Deli.
Yes, because my experiences with a game fail to mirror your preconceived notions, and because I found Madden 11 to be the most streamlined and best-playing football game I'd ever touched, this clearly means I am phenomenally stupid and have not been spending the last two years of my life learning how to judge a game on its own merits and on my own experiences.

Yeah, I think you need to take a time out. :)
Good on ya funk. I can't believe jason from that guy with the glassess actually talked to you like that. I would assume he would at least have the minimum of respect to someone who obviously reviews games professionally. He acted like a total game nerd.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Whoops double post sorry about that.

Man dude what a hubub that was. Aren't we talking about madden? Do any of our opinions really matter? I mean any true football fan will buy this game and never think to look at any review. We look at these reviews because were gamers and gamers do that. But the target audience of these games. Aren't gamers! I have an entire family that is way into sports and sports games and all the madden games they've played i've never heard them complain about these things. Mostly because they don't care.

John funk reviewed the game and he reviewed it based on what he learned. End of story. Any third party influencing his decision would be wrong.

Mr. Lordkat got a different experience than him. A bad one but that doesn't excuse him for not using the gentlemanly conduct.

At this point if your really upset that madden keeps doing this then stop buying madden. Hit the madden forums(they have one right?) and voice your opinion there. Also return your game to gamestop and support other football games. Like say backbreaker. Not a better game but if you pour money into them you could get a new competitor to madden.

I am honestly proud of John Funk that he was able to be a pro even when people are breathing down his neck. The pride of the escapist he is.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Armageddonrose said:
*Advertising*
oO Apathy oO said:
*nerdrage*
MrSimony said:
*potty mouth*
LordKat said:
*death threats*
Wow. You people do realize that it is possible for a person to have a different experience than others, right? I mean, I know the concept is foreign to most of you but try to keep up; some people actually don't think like you! I know it sounds crazy, but it's true! There are people out there among the planet's 6 billion inhabitants that have different tastes than you.

vikeif said:
and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.
Because the majority of TGWTG's traffic isn't for Doug and the Nostalgia Critic series, right?

psychosin

Aug 19, 2010
I have to stick up for LordKat here, admittedly maybe the death threats were a step too far but at the same time this is a guy who has grown up with the madden games and is a lifelong fan, hell youve only gotta go watch his review on his site to understand why he had such issues with this update of the game series. Personally I feel EA banging out a new game of a series every year is a severe oversight on their part cos it never seems to give them enough time to think of how to really improve the gaming series and make it bug free and enjoyable, but I guess it all comes down to just money in the end.

As for LordKat, the guy had a difference of opinion, and you banned him? See now that seems a bit far to me, yes he shouldnt have issued death threats but banning a guy for having a different opinion of a game to one of the main reviewing staff seems a bit much. Having watched a lot of John Funks reviews and LordKats I feel you could have spoken it out calmly and rationally without the need for such a strong action to be taken.

Well thats my thoughts on that situation, as for the game, Im not a big american football fan, last madden game i played was Way back on the mega drive, and the latest american football game ive played, and ill admit i enjoyed, was Blitz: The league II, although a lot of people seem to hate that game and im sure ill get a lot of people telling me how bad they think that game is, and you know what? thats just fine, everyone has thier own opinion.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
psychosin said:
I have to stick up for LordKat here, admittedly maybe the death threats were a step too far but at the same time this is a guy who has grown up with the madden games and is a lifelong fan, hell youve only gotta go watch his review on his site to understand why he had such issues with this update of the game series. Personally I feel EA banging out a new game of a series every year is a severe oversight on their part cos it never seems to give them enough time to think of how to really improve the gaming series and make it bug free and enjoyable, but I guess it all comes down to just money in the end.

As for LordKat, the guy had a difference of opinion, and you banned him? See now that seems a bit far to me, yes he shouldnt have issued death threats but banning a guy for having a different opinion of a game to one of the main reviewing staff seems a bit much. Having watched a lot of John Funks reviews and LordKats I feel you could have spoken it out calmly and rationally without the need for such a strong action to be taken.

Well thats my thoughts on that situation, as for the game, Im not a big american football fan, last madden game i played was Way back on the mega drive, and the latest american football game ive played, and ill admit i enjoyed, was Blitz: The league II, although a lot of people seem to hate that game and im sure ill get a lot of people telling me how bad they think that game is, and you know what? thats just fine, everyone has thier own opinion.
The guy was not banned for disagreeing, as you can see by this thread other people disagree and that's perfectly fine.

Wishing death upon staff is a bit of a no-no :) It's very against our forum policies, even in jest, and that was why he was banned.

psychosin

Aug 19, 2010
I can accept that sir, as I can appreciate your years of game reviewing and journalism. It is a shame that death threats were used as usually the guy seems totally on the level, I guess seeing a review of a game series that he feels the latest entry was the death knell of it, and yet you enjoyed a lot really got to him, something I can understand as I still don't get why all the hatred of mirror's edge myself, sure its glitched and not the longest game in the world but ive played worse. Hell pimp my ride the game comes to mind.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
vikeif said:
and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.
Because the majority of TGWTG's traffic isn't for Doug and the Nostalgia Critic series, right?
consider that ThatGuyWithTheGlasses is a name referring to Doug himself I would think that most poeple go to TWTG to see his stuff, and considering almost ever TGWTG contributor has their own website (lordkat, spoony, cinemasnob, etc.) and that you can just go to their blip account directly and watch their movies as well, I would think that yeah Doug is the reason most peeps flock there.

Unlike here where Yahtzee is only employed to do entertaining little videos that you can only see here and here alone. Hell, LRR had it's own site but most of their work can on be viewed here and if you go to their site it shows a embed player linked to here.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
John Funk said:
TarkXT said:

I bought it with my own $60 from the own local gamestop. I plan on playing the hell out of it with my little brother next week when I go on vacation to spend time with the family. Man, I wish EA was paying me off, because then it would have made buying new tires less of a pain :p

I call it like I see it; I can't see what I don't call. I've talked with some other reviewers whom I personally trust at other publications, and... I still haven't found anyone there who'd had this sort of experience. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, but I still haven't seen it.

Anyone is completely entitled to their own opinion as well as disagreeing with our reviews; it's all in how you do it.

vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Actually, looking at our numbers, you'd be very surprised. :) It's more that the community (as a whole) doesn't really care much about sports games more than anything.
well ya got me on the sports games thing, like hell if I'ma drop $60 buck on any sports game (good or bad.) till they bring back Blitz 2000. I'm not even really picking sides I'm just sick of this fucking crusader bullshit that people pull all the time in this forum, that with a head cold makes me very bitchy. But I watch your and Lordkat reveiws, I still don't see anything that merit this to be 60 bucks, I have XBLA titles that sound funner really, but that's my own opinion.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Delusibeta said:
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Meh. That may be true, but I don't give a damn about EA Sports games anyway. Although if you (generic you, not you specifically) can't articulate an opposing view to a review without wishing the reviewer fired or dead, then I ain't interested. (Even though as far as I'm concerned, it could be crap in a box or gold in a box, I still wouldn't buy it. Oh, and it's LRR)
First off I am not here to support LordKat, I did not once say he was right for showing his ass nor did I side with him, I don't like sports games, but I did say the Fanboyish Crusading was what needed to stop, he was banned, mods got it, it should be done here, and the spell-nazi thing was bullshit too.

Beside Mr. Funk is replying on his own like the adult he is, he doesn't need you fanboy crusadering, and neither do I.

I will say sorry for being a dick in my last post though I have a bad head cold and I'm grouchy as hell.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

First off I am not here to support LordKat, I did not once say he was right for showing his ass nor did I side with him, I don't like sports games, but I did say the Fanboyish Crusading was what needed to stop, he was banned, mods got it, it should be done here, and the spell-nazi thing was bullshit too.

Beside Mr. Funk is replying on his own like the adult he is, he doesn't need you fanboy crusadering, and neither do I.

I will say sorry for being a dick in my last post though I have a bad head cold and I'm grouchy as hell.
And I will say sorry for appearing to be a fanboy. Honestly, had LordKat not intervened, this thread would be probably ten posts long, containing mostly "meh", "that's all right I guess" and "why's he picking up the ball?" and it'd all be forgotten by Friday.