Review: Mafia II

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The game does looks pretty, but I prefer open worlds that are less serious and less lineair, more like Vice City or JC2.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
I'm in two thirds of the story in Mafia 2 and so far I am really enjoying it. I completely agree with the point that its a linear game in an open world. The city in this respect works great, it is wonderfully and beautifully detailed (man falling on ice, policemen solving a car crash, man fixing a car with open bonnet) and is much smaller than in GTA IV, let's say, so you get to know your way around pretty quickly. The story so far was very good, very immersive to be honest.

What is my issue (not a big one) with the game is that it feels that it was deliberately chopped up so they could sell us some DLCs around Christmas time. For instance, why can't you stop call a taxi to take you places? There are phone booths all over the city but you always have nobody to talk to (why not one of the girls you meet throughout the game?). There is the scrapyard guy and shipyard guy on the map but they never give you any jobs to do...

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
itf cho said:
If he was an informant, it was an extremely badly written part of the story. If he was a rat, wouldn't he have wanted to get everyone in the family involved in selling the drugs, instead of just you and Joe? Didn't make any sense to me.
The way I looked at that part was that he saw the kind of money Clemente and Carlo were making and got greedy, so he went in with you and Joe to try and keep it small enough time that his superiors in the DEA didn't notice it. Alternatively, he may have been trying to gather evidence on the Chinese gang, so went in with a smaller deal then usual. He also says something about the other gangs not trusting the Chinese.
I'm throwing my lot in with the "That scene really pissed me off" crowd. Once the cut-scene ended I shredded everything, ran Wong's car off the road and killed him myself. Of course I failed the mission but damn it made me feel better. Informant or no, Henry was a good guy.

And I assume I'm not the only one who was kinda pissed off at the ending, am I? "Ain't That a Kick in The Head" was an absolutely perfect piece to play over the credits, because I felt like I had been. Leo's great and all, but... Joey! What are you going to do with Joey!?

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
The man had me from the first sentence,
"Mafia II is one of the most immersive, rewarding videogame experiences you will ever play - if you have the patience for it."
Honestly, I've been waiting for this game since Mafia 1, sadly I'm going to have to wait another month or so... just don't have the money now.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
I'm throwing my lot in with the "That scene really pissed me off" crowd. Once the cut-scene ended I shredded everything, ran Wong's car off the road and killed him myself. Of course I failed the mission but damn it made me feel better. Informant or no, Henry was a good guy.

And I assume I'm not the only one who was kinda pissed off at the ending, am I? "Ain't That a Kick in The Head" was an absolutely perfect piece to play over the credits, because I felt like I had been. Leo's great and all, but... Joey! What are you going to do with Joey!?
Yeah, the ending was a little... abrupt. I was kind of hoping the game would keep going after that point, maybe follow Vito on his way to the top, and at least explain what happened to Joe.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
Lord_Panzer said:

Yeah, the ending was a little... abrupt. I was kind of hoping the game would keep going after that point, maybe follow Vito on his way to the top, and at least explain what happened to Joe.
Yeah, I really didn't like it. It felt like a sudden low-blow, done for purported effect. The game could've done a much better ending that revolved around deep themes and not so much one that employed such brutish tactics. Just my opinion, though

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
SlyderEST said:
Gotta hate the battle with Derek and his invisible goons, though
I found the best way to get that part done, actually, is to grab a nearby car and run it straight into the warehouse, under platform from which they shoot and throw molotovs at you. You'll avoid most of their fire and there's only two at the bottom you gotta deal with. From there you can shoot the guys upstairs by creeping around the sides and lobbing grenades/molotovs back at them, if you have any.

I actually almost didn't expect the game would let you drive a car all the way into an interior space, but it totally did. That was pretty cool. Should've had a mission where you'd assault some place by ramming a truck through the wall.

antipunt said:
Yeah, I really didn't like it. It felt like a sudden low-blow, done for purported effect. The game could've done a much better ending that revolved around deep themes and not so much one that employed such brutish tactics. Just my opinion, though
I think it was a good setup for an ending - Vito exists at the cost of the lives of those around him and the further he goes on, the more removed he becomes from those he cares about. Joe was his last true friend and in the end he loses him as well through his own actions. I reckon that's great as a plot point, there was just no development of it make it trully impactful and no denouement to really gave the game a solid closure.

SlyderEST

GfWL hater
Apr 7, 2010
9of9 said:
SlyderEST said:
I found the best way to get that part done, actually, is to grab a nearby car and run it straight into the warehouse, under platform from which they shoot and throw molotovs at you. You'll avoid most of their fire and there's only two at the bottom you gotta deal with. From there you can shoot the guys upstairs by creeping around the sides and lobbing grenades/molotovs back at them, if you have any.

I actually almost didn't expect the game would let you drive a car all the way into an interior space, but it totally did. That was pretty cool. Should've had a mission where you'd assault some place by ramming a truck through the wall.
Well I did try that, but couldn't get out of the car fast enough. And they spawned right next to me.

I went behind the stairs so derek couldn't throw molotovs against me, then when I had killed everyone else, I went upstairs and Derek switched to a Tommy Gun.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
9of9 said:
I think it was a good setup for an ending - Vito exists at the cost of the lives of those around him and the further he goes on, the more removed he becomes from those he cares about. Joe was his last true friend and in the end he loses him as well through his own actions. I reckon that's great as a plot point, there was just no development of it make it trully impactful and no denouement to really gave the game a solid closure.
Agreed; you said it well

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Michael Davos said:
A third option could be that I enjoy a certain kind (or kinds) of game that you don't.

But that's a longshot. Let's go with the conspiracy theory instead. Yeah, that makes more sense.
Conspiracy you say, I need to see a picture you in in a big chair holding a white cat

+ time =

???

Right... back on topic, thank you for helping me make up my mind and find a new game! Due to money I will have to wait, but I can now make a list of games I want!

1. Mafia II
2. Portal 2

We can't have a list with only one game can we?

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
SlyderEST said:
You know, the PC version isn't hard, the cover system isn't clunky and the camera isnt whatever you said, either. If I wouldn't do the fun stuff like beat up cops while they're shooting at me or unload a whole clip into one guy, I'd be completing the game in no-time.

Oooh, I had to play that mission about 8 or 9 times before I could get it. I had to set the brightness all the way up so I see a single thing and even then I had trouble beating it.

I used a car to keep the garage door from closing and then hung around outside

Having finished the game, I'm not sure if I could play through it again. The story doesn't seem like it would be as enjoyable the second time around.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Well few issues, first of all as said, the game is linear, there is no free roam or side missions (hi DLC milking money), the story is, while decent, full of cliches and the game flow is broken by cinematics and 'simple missions' (won't give away spoilers, but basically missions where what you do can be pretty much done better with a QTE cutscene) all the time.

I also don't know where you're coming from with "plenty of music" considering there are just 3 stations and very few songs on them. Also, since the gameplay is so cut up and there's no free roam, you can't really drive around listening to music without being interrupted or (very easily) killed. And if you're trying to load a chapter and play until you're killed, every time you die you have to watch the opening cutscene of the chapter, answer the phone, get dressed and walk out of your house which is always the same.

And naturally, since it's the same starting point after dying, getting into the car starts you off on the same time on the radio meaning every time you die, your radio is back to the same place, meaning you're listening to the same maximum of 3 songs every single time.

The playthrough is a fun experience, but it's so broken up and unsubstantial and the ending's so disappointing that it's simply not worth the price tag. With due respect Russ, your review kinda avoided anything bad about the game. I know opinions differ, but I kinda doubt you could've gotten through the whole game and looked back on it without seeing a single flaw. Reviews are supposed to give people a heads up on what the game is like and you just encouraged people to shell out 60$ without mentioning any of the pretty major flaws in the game, which I have to say is a bit of a poor show.

Ciartan

Sep 13, 2009
Imo, Mafia 2 was a huge dissapointment. The game was waaay to short, story was uninteresting, characters werent really all that likable, the ending sucked, and there was no side missions or anything else to do in the world. GTA 4 was alot better imo (except the music, music in Mafia 2 was awesome)