Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
ace_of_something said:
This one only had one character who I felt was utterly worthless to use.

(Hint: He's super stretchy)
Wierd; in the previous game was far too overpowered - maybe it's a case of balancing going too far?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Ya, it seems to me that they took some of the fun RPG elements out of the game, and kinda dumbed it down from teh first. I wonder if the Human Torch still has that extremely OP ability, the one where you knock enemies in the air by raising fire from the ground.... that attack is practically all you need to beat the first one

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ice Man, Storm, Silver Surfer, and Spider-Man were my team in the first. Juggernaut and Deadpool will make their way in, methinks. Though that we now get Hulk is absolutely fantastical.

Oh, and did you catch yourself a cold, Funk? Sounded a bit congested there, man.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
Did anyone else hear that last line? It was punny

(OUCH! I know I should've gone for that health meter enlargement I saw in that email)

Anyway the game looks big enough and cool enough. Only I'm not really into brawlers..
Deadpool always has been, and always will be one of my top 5 fav Marvel characters. What's not to love about a guy who realizes that he's in a comic book, and constantly breaks the fourth wall?

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
The Thing... had... a... bulge!

First time I've ever seen a superhero with a significant bulge! (1:40)

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I beat'en up with a descant story line working for it, I never though I would see the day // Graphics look none to shabby too

I also do like the fact that they add Deadpool's 'breaking the 4th wall' power

-M

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Regarding the "that armor must be compensating for something" quip...

Did you know that's basically what Frank Castle says upon seeing Iron Man's statue of himself in Stark Industries in The Punisher (2005)? I probably wouldn't remember if I didn't play the game over and over and over...

Apparently Marvel isn't denying Stark is... Lacking, in some areas.

Dollarz6

Sep 25, 2009
Ya, it seems to me that they took some of the fun RPG elements out of the game, and kinda dumbed it down from teh first. I wonder if the Human Torch still has that extremely OP ability, the one where you knock enemies in the air by raising fire from the ground.... that attack is practically all you need to beat the first one...
Dat'z atleast wat i think...

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
The strenght of characters and usfulness wasn't equal - Thor must be much stronger now because he wasn't too impresive in the first one.
I wasn't sure if the costume selection feature was still in the game, but then it's visable in the video - I hope that the costumes will be unlocked by having characters in the team, not like last time by playing even the weakest characters for few levels. They could be all unlocked by minigames like the last one in the first game - but some minigames were too difficult in comparison (I bet Deadpool one in few minutes by just going in maxed suit and non- stop shooting the dark spidey and I didn't even run out of half my energy, while Captain America had to fight bucky while clicking 4 random panels in 4 corners of the room every few seconds and even after beating the enemy he has to do it in less than 10 seconds - that's a extreme diffrance).

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I'm definately going to get this at some point. I'm just hoping to pick it up cheaper at a second hand store since I'm short on cash. Still I've been psyched for this for a looooong while now and I'm damn sure I'm going to have SO MUCH DAMN FUN with it.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
First one was a fun and engaging, and I spent a lot of time playing it.

Getting this one, with a more solid story.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
After playing X-Men Legends, X-Men Legends 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, this series is just done for me. It's all so tired and repetitive. Yes, I've gone through rooms and beaten up the same enemies over and over with various super heroes and villains before. None of it was really all that fun the first time. Even with multiple players, we still have to contend with the proper use of gear that we find, which is all very tedious. Hmm... should I equip Thor with Gear A, which raises his HP by 100 and Speed by 5, or Gear B, which raises his HP by 120 and Agility by 4? God, just make it an obvious choice. We don't find gear this confusing to equip in most console RPGs out there.

Once they polish the engine and introduce some imaginative level designs and enemies, then I'll think about getting back into the series.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
TheZaius said:
Hmm... should I equip Thor with Gear A, which raises his HP by 100 and Speed by 5, or Gear B, which raises his HP by 120 and Agility by 4? God, just make it an obvious choice. We don't find gear this confusing to equip in most console RPGs out there.
Ultimate Alliance 2 does not have equippable items other than boosts which affect the whole team, and which are pretty obvious which you should equip based on who you're using (Hint: If it says +3% electric damage, you probably want to use it with Storm).

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Pardon my nerd, but Hulk and Thor (unless it's the Clone) weren't on earth during the civil war.

(and most of the x-men decided to stay out of the war I think)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I was pleasently suprised by this game and applaud VV for making such a fanwanktastic game. Admittedly not as great as Arkham Asylum, it's still good dumb fun.