Review: Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Review: Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Capcom delivers a game of heroic proportions.

Read Full Article

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Ending made so happy. If online plays a big issue I don't care, getting some friends over to play this.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Well I'm slightly devastated to hear they've done that to the online mode, but it's still a day one purchase for me!

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I've been trying to get into BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, but I even fail in the TUTORIALS. The tutorials! God! This being the case - it might be nice to get into a "noob-friendly" fighting game to stretch my thumbs out first, THEN jump into the complexity inherent in BlazBlue - and I do want to play BlazBlue because it does suck me in. It's just... hard.

So maybe MvC3 is a good place for nubs who've only ever played DoA2 to start playing fighting games?

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Fighters are the only games I like exclusive to consoles and MvC is a favorite of mine. It's hard being a PC only gamer sometimes, but consoles are expensive and, unlike my PC, are not needed for my job.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
so wait, did they reduce the number of characters to cut down on redundancy, or so they could sell us DLC in a month? sounds like they're gearing up to sell a $80 game, like the good ol' N64 days.

Apr 28, 2008
Own this game and loving it. I'm just disappointed that after hyping up some form of story, we didn't really get one. It was your standard fighter story. Which is a bit of a shame, but whatev's.

I also wish the character's endings were longer. After Steet Figher 4's fully voiced, animated endings, it feels like a bit of a letdown. They could have at least made it longer then about 15 or so lines of dialog. Sometimes less.

For those who are wondering what the endings are like, think Soul Caliber, but shorter.

EDIT: Oh, I feel I should mention that most of the more advanced stuff can be found in the manual. Just look through it and it should tell you quite a bit.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Not too fussed about the online stuff, more a game for playing with people in the same room.

Really wanna know how that fight ended, guessing amaterasu was piped xD

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Sgt. Dante said:
Really wanna know how that fight ended, guessing amaterasu was piped xD
Something to the effect of "I punched your dog to death." It was a pretty cool near simultaneous hyper combo at the finish too, unfortunately the audio didn't come out as well as the part I used in the video.

Dec 14, 2009
So looking foward to this game. Hopefully I'll get to delivered a day before the release date (Friday here in the UK).

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I am still vexed at the lack of a proper single player mode; it was the same problem with Street Fighter and TvC and CAPCOM doesn't seem to understand that yet. After playing the story modes in Blazblue and Smash Bros Brawl it just seems half-assed to not have one. Grinding through arcade 30+ times to see character endings is just BORING. It is still MECHANICALLY sound, but content wise MvC3 is lacking compared to its modern peers

parasyteFMA

Jan 3, 2011
This is a game where I wanna get people over to play it with. Online doesn't concern me too much. I am loving this game so far.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
"She couldn't handle the pipe"...? That's just wrong. xD

Ah, just a few more days. Should be right on time for me to relax after 5 weeks of studying and exams.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Definitely buying when its out in the UK, or friday.

Aiddon said:
I am still vexed at the lack of a proper single player mode; it was the same problem with Street Fighter and TvC and CAPCOM doesn't seem to understand that yet. After playing the story modes in Blazblue and Smash Bros Brawl it just seems half-assed to not have one. Grinding through arcade 30+ times to see character endings is just BORING. It is still MECHANICALLY sound, but content wise MvC3 is lacking compared to its modern peers
Capcoms fighting games can only really be compared to the previous Capcom fighting game, no matter what it is. It's true some people will get sick of the same formula if its used for 20 years, but alot more people will be pissed if they start trying to replicate a single player mode like in Brawl. Besides this game is more to play on multiplayer, another thing it shares in common with other Capcom fighters.

That said you might as well take the arcade mode as an practice run against multiple random characters to see if you know how to use that character as well as you think you do.

Also to see all the endings you have to grind through 38 times, and the DLC's arent even out yet.

Catface Meowmers said:
so wait, did they reduce the number of characters to cut down on redundancy, or so they could sell us DLC in a month? sounds like they're gearing up to sell a $80 game, like the good ol' N64 days.
Its a bit of both and something else.

As you say its to sell some optional DLC if we want it.

As the review mentioned its also to cut at redundancy.

Its also because getting some characters to work properly in the game turned out to be more difficult than you would think. Human Torch was originally in, but deconfirmed because while he had a big enough moveset to be in the game, his flame graphics induced major lag so he was dropped and replaced with Super-Skrull. Another deconfirmee is Frank West, (Dead Rising, in case you dont know) while the exact reason why hes deconfirmed is still unknown, Capcom stated that he was proving more trouble than he was worth, therefore he was dropped.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I rented the game, and so far I'm loving it. I loved MvC2 and I'm not a huge fan of fighting games, but this game is pretty awesome.

Edit: I find it rather annoying that some characters have to be unlocked though.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Looks cool but i'm only buying it if Phoenix Wright ends up being announced as one of the inevitable DLC characters, otherwise i'll pass/wait a year

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I was wondering this and no offense to the 360, but why are lots of fighters reviewed on 360 and yet the ps3 has the better controller for fighting games?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
gigastar said:
As you say its to sell some optional DLC if we want it.

As the review mentioned its also to cut at redundancy.

Its also because getting some characters to work properly in the game turned out to be more difficult than you would think. Human Torch was originally in, but deconfirmed because while he had a big enough moveset to be in the game, his flame graphics induced major lag so he was dropped and replaced with Super-Skrull. Another deconfirmee is Frank West, (Dead Rising, in case you dont know) while the exact reason why hes deconfirmed is still unknown, Capcom stated that he was proving more trouble than he was worth, therefore he was dropped.
If I recall correctly, Frank West was removed because of balance issues.

Catface Meowmers said:
A little of column A and a little of column B, but honestly, how much different was War Machine compared to Iron Man, or Bone Claw Wolverine, to regular Wolverine.