Review: Mass Effect 2

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
JaredXE said:
So what part of the review had spoilers? The whole thing was rather clean.
Some of the footage we shot had certain characters in it that could be considered spoilers, but I don't think we actually ended up using any of that. I recorded the warning just in case. But I think it's all good.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way whatsoever. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass. [footnote]Useful note: it's a figure of speech. Be merciful, don't actually "Empire Strikes Back" my ass - please.[/footnote]

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kollega said:
GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass.
Very much not like that, actually. Yes, you're going to have to shed a lot of blood, but that doesn't mean you're just spewing hate all over the place. Trust me, my Paragon Shepard is still a beacon of hope and positivity. You're not "shooting innocent people in the face," but you are going to have to make some hard choices.

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Star Trek Online needs space hamsters.

Or do Tribbles count?
Yes.....yes they do...

And I think you should name him Wiggles.

Looks like an awesome game! Too bad about the mining mini-game crap. Oh well, nothing is perfect!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
loremazd said:
Hey wait a minute... Boo was a space hamster! The universes are linked!
I was going to say, a space hamster in a Bioware game, two things are then true:

1) He must be named Boo

2) He will be trained to GO FOR THE EYES!

All kidding aside though, knowing this I will do everything I can to make my Shepard look like Minsc. I miss the oaf.

T3h Merc

Dec 24, 2008
Steampunk Viking said:
3... more... days... *Rocks back and forth in the corner*

Damn you lucky North Americans! This is torture... TORTURE I SAY!
Five for days for me and I AM an American. (Fucking Shipping!)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Very much not like that, actually. Yes, you're going to have to shed a lot of blood, but that doesn't mean you're just spewing hate all over the place. Trust me, my Paragon Shepard is still a beacon of hope and positivity. You're not "shooting innocent people in the face," but you are going to have to make some hard choices.
It's okay then, i guess. I don't have qualms againt mass-murder and wanton destruction... as long as my character does not act as a total douchebag at every opportunity, and actually shows some hesitation when it comes to letting innocent people die.

Not having Mako still sucks big fat torpedo, though. Why do you look at me like that, it handled perfectly well in PC version!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Now all they need to do for the third is add melee weapons and bring back the Mako and I am a happy man.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Souplex said:
Now all they need to do for the third is add melee weapons and bring back the Mako and I am a happy man.
Why would they add melee weapons? The game's happening in the freaking future, melee weapons would make no sense. Huge robots manned by humans however...

OT: I LOVED this game. Can't wait for the sequel. Must...see...conclusion to romance with Tali.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Susan, if you don't name it Boo I will come over and withould coffee (or whatever you like to drink) until you finished a Baldur's Gate 2 run with redemption and tactics installed. ^^

Nice review. I wonder how it'll work out on PC.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
HT_Black said:
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.
She's a time-traveler. That, or PR reps from EA sent us (and every other videogaming-related publication) a review copy of the game so that we could publish in time for release. Pick whichever explanation makes you happiest.