Review: Mass Effect 2

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
I really don't like the ammo idea, I'm an RPG fan who kinda sucks at shooters, if I can't buy enough ammo to simply spam them with bullets, this will seriously alienate me, which would be a problem because I felt that there were gameplay elements in the first one that didn't work.

There best not be any enemies that run up to you, especially Krogan ones, they were a pain "RARGH I'M GONNA GIT YOU" "phew killed him, if he got any closer (gulps)" (two more wander into the room as the one you just killed gets up because for some reason the Krogans suffer from new school FPS syndrome and can heal to full health randomly) "OH FUUUUUU----" (Shepard dies)

(Two or three tries later "phew finally, and we all survived, yay!" (Turns round the next corner) "OH COME ON! AGAIN?"
(Repeat until either finished or you give up)

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG part of combat it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with. Now it sounds like just a shooter.

Will I miss too much by having ignored the really boring side quests of ME1 for my ME1 transfer data?
You know you can always just rent it first and then get it if you like it, works for me most the time.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
crotalidian said:
is it me or does the paragon/renegade conversation option sound liek a boiled down QTE?
Not according to other reviewers i.e. Adam Sessler.

loremazd said:
Hey wait a minute... Boo was a space hamster! The universes are linked!
Who are you, KHF?

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
The disks to mine don't work, well at least the second one. Went on the bioware forums and apparently it's a common problem. I am Coping the discs to my hard drive and I will try to install from there.

Bioware is bad at releases....

Edit: From a look at the forums, people seem to be having problems with installation, loading, getting their cd keys, contacting support and getting their downloadable items.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
hansari said:
My goodness...

~spoiler for the opening~
If Adolf Hitler's or Joseph Stalin's secret police saved you from imminent death - and you would get orders from the psycho dictator himself -
then would you still work for them without any niggling doubt that what you are doing may help them in destroying the lives of innocent people who just were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or maybe you would be worried that you are a mere tool in their hands, and they'll murder you as soon as you outlive your usefulness?

Whoops.

I accidentially one of Mass Effect 2's plot twists without even playing the game.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Minsc said:
Boo is special among his kind, and quite resilient. Have I mentioned he is a miniature giant space hamster? I'm sure I have.
Nimzar said:
To EVERYONE suggesting names for the space hamster that are not "Boo".

PLAY the Baldur's Gate series.
Do it, DO IT NOW

joshrimer

Jan 27, 2010
There were tons of people talking about Mass Effect 2 on Twitter today! I showed some of the funnier ones in my video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdzoAlPyU8M :)

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
So WHY did they decide to do a horrible thing and add ammo clips....sorry, heat clips to weapons? Did a universe that established that small arms used blocks of metal that slivered off ala rail gun suddenly fall on it's head and demand everyone now encumber themselves with heat sinks? (I know, they take up no space, but if the characters were real, where would they put all those clips?)

Oh, and what was wrong with the Simon-like game for hacking and unlocking? Same with planetary exploration or just plain scanning for minerals? Was that broken? Did it need a minigame too?

Bioware.....if it ain't broke, don't innovate it.

Zuljiin

Apr 1, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
this horrible game is not worth a buy...... they went thew passed bioshock 100 phantoms ago watering it down so much, people stop buying crap already!!!
Wat.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Which version of the game is this? The PC one? Are there any differences between them.
The in the video was on the console version. The differences are the same as always, the PC has better controls and graphics.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG part of combat it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with. Now it sounds like just a shooter.

Will I miss too much by having ignored the really boring side quests of ME1 for my ME1 transfer data?
You know you can always just rent it first and then get it if you like it, works for me most the time.
Already planned to do so.

OriginOfWaves

Jan 25, 2010
I've got a question. How come everyone made such a big deal of ME 1 inventory? It wasn't even that big or bulky. What wuz so complicated about it? All the upgrades and weapons were grouped by type. What happened to having patience to look for the best weapon or armour load-out. If you'd took the time you would notice how much detail and attention went into every item in ME's inventory. And what I've seen so far of ME 2 inventory makes me a sad panda.
I know it's off topic but... I'm just saying.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Just finished Mass Effect 2 a few hours ago. The game is far more streamlined, but seems a lot more casualised. Also, the choices are a lot less dramatic. There's no big genocide choices like in the first, though one does come close. Bioware has some brilliant writers though, as I did laugh quite a few times throughout the game, whether at the witty writing or collision detection bugs.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
JaredXE said:
So WHY did they decide to do a horrible thing and add ammo clips....sorry, heat clips to weapons? Did a universe that established that small arms used blocks of metal that slivered off ala rail gun suddenly fall on it's head and demand everyone now encumber themselves with heat sinks? (I know, they take up no space, but if the characters were real, where would they put all those clips?)
Blame Cerberus. I suppose it was their "brilliant" idea to hand out weapons with small replaceable heatsinks rather than big integrated ones.

Remember - if all else fails, blame Space Nazis!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Kollega said:
JaredXE said:
Blame Cerberus. I suppose it was their "brilliant" idea to hand out weapons with small replaceable heatsinks rather than big integrated ones.

Remember - if all else fails, blame Space Nazis!
I really don't have that much problem with it. Granted we are talking about space weapons, but it does seem grounded on some level of practicality. Why wait for your heat sink to finish dispelling all the heat it's soaked up when you can jam a new one in? However it would have been nice if they left the old method in for when you ran out of thermal clips, although I haven't gotten anywhere close to running out.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Slycne said:
I really don't have that much problem with it. Granted we are talking about space weapons, but it does seem grounded on some level of practicality. Why wait for your heat sink to finish dispelling all the heat it's soaked up when you can jam a new one in? However it would have been nice if they left the old method in for when you ran out of thermal clips, although I haven't gotten anywhere close to running out.
Yes it's practical. But it's not nearly as practical as what you said - that would be an optimal solution. That's how it was supposed to be.

But alas.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Want to save the universe? Hope you're ready to get your hands dirty.
Technically, Shepard's only saving the galaxy.

Anyway, seeing how you have a talent for summary that nobody I know has; is it worth loading a save game? I've been struggling to finish the first Mass Effect to get a usable save, but I'd like to play the second. Are the changes noticeable and beneficial, or could I live without them?

All that aside, great review. Thank you for not revealing any plot.

ZippyDSMlee said:
this horrible game is not worth a buy...... they went thew passed bioshock 100 phantoms ago watering it down so much, people stop buying crap already!!!
how is babby formed how girl get pragnent

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CuddlyCombine said:
Susan Arendt said:
Want to save the universe? Hope you're ready to get your hands dirty.
Technically, Shepard's only saving the galaxy.

Anyway, seeing how you have a talent for summary that nobody I know has; is it worth loading a save game? I've been struggling to finish the first Mass Effect to get a usable save, but I'd like to play the second. Are the changes noticeable and beneficial, or could I live without them?

All that aside, great review. Thank you for not revealing any plot.
Meh, universe, galaxy...same same. ;)

Unless it's going to be a major hardship or hassle, I'd really advocate finishing Mass Effect first. Sure, you can totally live without the bonuses you get, but you'll enjoy the second game more if you play through the first. Turn the difficulty down to Easy, if that's what's tripping you up.