Review: Medal of Honor

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
axiom5000 said:
DrNobody18 said:
As Shakespeare would say, a rose by any other name... Though, in all honesty, you said it much better, a Taliban by any other f@#%ing name is still a f@#%ing Taliban...
So, according to your - and the reviewer's - logic, Russians and Germans are still the spawn of Satan in semantic disguise!?

Anyway: Not EA lacks "sensitivity"; your black-and-white moral at the end does. After all, those "f@#%ing Taliban" used to be the good guys back in the 80s; mercenaries, paid by the US.
Way to circumvent the point, but okay. Would it make you feel better if Germans where the 'black and grey' guys? Russians the 'red guys'? The point trying to me made is calling them the 'opposing force' is bulls#!t, plain and simple, we damn know full well who they are, call them that.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I thought the beta was absolute crap. I figured the game wasnt worth my money. From the overall scores its been getting it looks like I wasnt wrong.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'll say it again. They should have kept destruction 2.0 in for the multiplayer. It would have been interesting to see the mechanic used for those large structures. Without it there doesn't seem like there's much reason to use the c4 and rocket launchers.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Painful illusion said:
I see medal of Honor as the underdog against COD. I really wanted this game to be better than Black ops..."sigh".. maybe in a few years. I can only hope they do better.
Personally I see MOH as a back drop to EA's shooter flag ship Battlefield 3 that will come out soon as well as testing the waters on the sensitivity of today's conflicts, from a military stand point I don't understand the problem, it's a fricken game and why aafes banned the game when it was supported by the DA (Department of the Army), but, I really don't understand the civilian stand point (no offense). As far as games go I was supremely disappointed with COD MW2, I still find COD4 and COD2 the best of the series, unless black ops is a walk on water moment, the series is tarnished in my eyes, and I look forward immensely to Battle field 3 and have high hopes for the game, I do hope MOH learns from this and develops a much better story line, goes crazy with the multi-player and tells Aafes to go F%$# itself since the game stop with the MOST RESERVED GAMES WAS ON A MILITARY INSTALLATION BEFORE THEY BANNED THE GAME FROM BEING SOLD ON BASE with somewhere around the hundreds games reserved (being conservative with numbers). I sort of feel that there was so much more to be had here, but, that it was held back, and this is why I feel that BF3 is gonna be insane. These are my observations, feel free to flame all you want.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
DrNobody18 said:
As Shakespeare would say, a rose by any other name... Though, in all honesty, you said it much better, a Taliban by any other f@#%ing name is still a f@#%ing Taliban...

More on topic though, kinda disappointed from what I've seen of this game myself, it looks to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to try and beat the CoD series by copying the CoD series. Who in their right mind thought that would work, exactly?
To be honest and for the sake of context, CoD did borrow heavily from MoH originally. Justputting that out there.

OT:
I like the darker tones(visualy) that are in this video. I have BFBC2 and my brother has MW2, so i can appriciate a game that doesnt wash out the camera. Although that speaking strictly from THIS video of this game.

Whats with those boxes? look in the part where Steve is dicussing the Taliban, the camera runs over to them. Those are EVERYWHERE in all shooters. Are they actually used by militaries, are they modern day crates, or something? Someone please fill me in

Side note, I'm not fixing any of those typos above, I'm very tired.

May 25, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Video no worky. For me.

Anyway, I might get this, since I'm not buying any Activision games anymore. Used or new. Looks solid enough, and comes with Frontline on PS3, iirc.
Ahhhh a fellow man with a stance, im also off Blizard products but mainly becuase im a million miles past WoW at this point and Starcraft is well... Starcraft 2. I do like RTS but Starcraft is the embodiment of everything that can be wrong with it.
Care to elaborate as to why Starcraft is the embodiment of everything that can be wrong with it?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just think it's funny. All these big ass companies are scrambling to the top of the "realistic FPS" hill to try to push each other off. Duke Nukem Forever is going to come along and just waltz up to the top of the "UNrealistic FPS" hill and make an ocean liner full of money.

Painful illusion

Oct 9, 2010
Tsaba said:
Painful illusion said:
I see medal of Honor as the underdog against COD. I really wanted this game to be better than Black ops..."sigh".. maybe in a few years. I can only hope they do better.
Personally I see MOH as a back drop to EA's shooter flag ship Battlefield 3 that will come out soon as well as testing the waters on the sensitivity of today's conflicts, from a military stand point I don't understand the problem, it's a fricken game and why aafes banned the game when it was supported by the DA (Department of the Army), but, I really don't understand the civilian stand point (no offense). As far as games go I was supremely disappointed with COD MW2, I still find COD4 and COD2 the best of the series, unless black ops is a walk on water moment, the series is tarnished in my eyes, and I look forward immensely to Battle field 3 and have high hopes for the game, I do hope MOH learns from this and develops a much better story line, goes crazy with the multi-player and tells Aafes to go F%$# itself since the game stop with the MOST RESERVED GAMES WAS ON A MILITARY INSTALLATION BEFORE THEY BANNED THE GAME FROM BEING SOLD ON BASE with somewhere around the hundreds games reserved (being conservative with numbers). I sort of feel that there was so much more to be had here, but, that it was held back, and this is why I feel that BF3 is gonna be insane. These are my observations, feel free to flame all you want.
I really have to agree with you on all your points. MW2 was a real let down for the most part and didn't really deliver how COD had (even though it probably was hard to). I am looking forward to BF3 though, I'm sure Dice and EA will make the game how you said it..INSANE.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
This is one of the few escapists reviews I just completely disagree with.

The single player in this game is phenomenal, one of the best FPS single players stories I have seen in the past few years. It does what Call of Duty doesn't, and just surpasses that last step. Yes, the characters are bland and sometimes unoriginal, but it makes you care about them. In one part of the game, it has you holding out on an Alamo-esque area being ambushed by the Taliban. You really don't see any way out of it, and you honestly start to get worried. It reminds me of CoD4's "OMG" moments, just expanded.

The multiplayer on the other hand, is where I believe the game starts to dwindle down. Its nothing new, and just seems very bland run-of-the-mill while not taking very many risks. It really has to much of a BC2 feel to it, which really turned me off of it.

chewbacca1010 said:
Another three-hour shooter set in the modern day.

*yawn*
"Because I only play games that are colorful and shiny an artistic because I am an artistic gamer and if it doesn't have any art in it then it is a bland game"

That's you.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
better than that Hollywood arcade style easy ass COD.. I like it, and one two shots kill.. instead of emptying a whole clip into a bad guy online and he turns around and kills you..

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
disappointing sounding already
was hoping it'd kick CoD's butt but hey
rental #1 now, and #2 coming November

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
COD and MOH, how can one be worse from the other..? They look exactly the same!

Gritty, generic and repetetive FPS..

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
That was the most concise, well thought out, and educated review I've seen on this website yet. Hopefully you can replace the other reviewers on this site. I haven't seen a review that good in a while. Great job Steve.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
It's actually not a bad game, the campaign may be short but it's quite intense. Although I don't intend to touch the multiplayer I would prefer that EA stuck to their guns with the use of the word Taliban. But apparently it's ok to show you killing someone else's father, husband, brother, son but not ok to see relatives from our side die.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
That last line was pure awesome.

I really enjoy the way this game plays online, actually, it's the main reason I bought it. Seeing as DICE worked on it, I had to.

I think what I enjoy most is switching between Medal of Honor/Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2... they play very differently online, but not in a way like Reach, where I'd just get frustrated and quit. Between this and Black Ops, I'm good for FPS games this holiday. :3

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
DrNobody18 said:

More on topic though, kinda disappointed from what I've seen of this game myself, it looks to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to try and beat the CoD series by copying the CoD series. Who in their right mind thought that would work, exactly?
Yeah...I dont really understand why they do this. I mean...I sometimes wonder if I would be a fantastic company leader in the gaming world. When a game is "the best of its category" like CoD is, it dominates it. There is not always such a game, but sometimes. WoW is another. When trying to earn money it seems feeble to try to copy the BEST. When you know you probably wont beat that game anyway. Why would people settle for second best?

It would be much smarter to either 1: make your own complete niche. Like AoE did in comparison with for example warcraft or C&C or 2: make something completely original. Like Bioshock did in the shooter category. Bioshock feels a lot like a missed opportunity to me, but its still an awesome game. And its helped a long a LOT by the fact that its simply so different. WHY are gaming companies not seeing this?

Its easier to be number one if you invent your own little silly arena than if you try to run faster than Usain Bolt :|

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Interesting review. I'd rate it the same, but have a much different outlook on the single player campaign vs. multiplayer. The former I enjoyed, apart from misfires with the scripted events and an overall disjointed arc. It has great atmosphere and pacing, and I like how all the different perspectives coincide. The multiplayer, however, I found to be an exercise in serenity I simply can't pass. I won't rant about it here; suffice it to say this is the first game who's MP has frustrated me to the point of turning it off and walking away.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Multiplayer i nice.
Singelplayer has it´s moments, but is ugly.

Multiplayer should have been a DLC for BF2 imo though.