Review: Medal of Honor

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
I mean we already have Bad Comapny 2 which reall covers much of the same ground especially online. (Bad Company is also argumably a better game than COD, well on the PC at least.)
Very arguable. The multiplayer was awesome (and still is) but I, personally, found the SP unacceptably terrible.

OT: Glad to see you being the one to review the game, Steve. I find your review are gearing up to be pretty much the best ones on the site, and this was really good.

It was, however, something I totally and completely disagree with.

The game is pinned as derivative and you could pretty much agree with that - helicopter shooting, icy places and desert places. And the story is probably as bland as you expect it to be. But, as a hardcore Call Of Duty fan, I've already heard (and seen) two things that pretty much warrant a purchase for me:

1) It feels really different gameplay-wise. It probably isn't, but I did see one thing - the impact of the bullet here is far more noticeable and powerful than both in MW2 and in BC2.

2) You said it was heavily scripted as if it were bad. To me, it's anything but bad.

Many people love heavily-scripted games. If it weren't for the scripts, set-pieces, the rollercoaster - I would've been severy unimpressed with MW2.

Now, I don't know whether those are good scripts - BC2 tried them, too, and that made me hate their SP even more. But there is always place for a warfare game that relies heavily on situations, not on the core mechanics.

3) They say "fuck" a lot. Hehehehe. No, bad Journey, bad.

So, I do value your opinion, but this kind of looks like a "buy" to me.
whaleswiththumbs said:
To be honest and for the sake of context, CoD did borrow heavily from MoH originally. Justputting that out there.
Have to point out they had the right. Infinity Ward was made out of a large portion of 2015, Inc. employees.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I dont know what to say about this game, it looks very........bland, and for a modern fps thats quite an achievement.

I guess the only legacy to gaming that MoH will have is the infamous "moan moan moan Taliban" saga, which feels dead already.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I was hoping this to be the rebirth of the modern shooter. Sigh.. "Hands money to Call of duty".

MoH may not be the best this gen, but it sure as hell kicked thew fuck outta COD in the PS2 days.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Tdc2182 said:
chewbacca1010 said:
Another three-hour shooter set in the modern day.

*yawn*
"Because I only play games that are colorful and shiny an artistic because I am an artistic gamer and if it doesn't have any art in it then it is a bland game"

That's you.
How delightfully ignorant of you. I decide I don't like a game based on the incredibly short length of its single player and you conclude that I am a typical artsy hipster type gamer. That is one magical jump in logic there, champ.

Funnily enough, I also didn't like Modern Warfare 2 because of the single player length, while very much liking the first, so it looks like your foolish little assessment is a touch off the mark.

Thanks for playing though.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
2) You said it was heavily scripted as if it were bad. To me, it's anything but bad.

Many people love heavily-scripted games. If it weren't for the scripts, set-pieces, the rollercoaster - I would've been severy unimpressed with MW2.

Now, I don't know whether those are good scripts - BC2 tried them, too, and that made me hate their SP even more. But there is always place for a warfare game that relies heavily on situations, not on the core mechanics.
I don't disagree with you, but this is very much in the eye of the beholder. Scripting does allow for more dramatic narrative moments than a purely dynamic game, but my problem in MOH is that the scripts are just too obvious and predictable. You kind of feel like the game is happening to you rather than the other way around. In other words, the mission is just going to do what the designer wants it to do, regardless of your specific actions.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Steve Butts said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

I don't disagree with you, but this is very much in the eye of the beholder. Scripting does allow for more dramatic narrative moments than a purely dynamic game, but my problem in MOH is that the scripts are just too obvious and predictable. You kind of feel like the game is happening to you rather than the other way around. In other words, the mission is just going to do what the designer wants it to do, regardless of your specific actions.
Granted, but it does that in most games, whether they are heavily scripted or not.

Obvious and predictable - aye, those are problems. But the missions are pretty much always going the way the designer wants them to, in pretty much every shooter I can think of.

I've always found the open, obvious scripts better than the pretention of freedom, ala Bad Company 2 (which is, despite all I have said, a good game) - here's a chopper, you don't have to fly it but you'd better, cause this is a heli sequence.

Now, I love Modern Warfare 2 more than every grown, sane, Russian (!) man should. And there, the mission pretty much always goes the same way. Can't fault it for that.

I can however fault games that don't have that - i.e. Crysis, a very sandbox game that I found inferior to CoD 4 in every way, because it didn't know what to do with it's freedom.

Other reasons:

1) A game with scripts always has a point. There are no driving sections that are just there to transport you from one place to another - if there is driving, something is happening.

2) The story and gameplay merging is always seemless - see Modern Warfare 2. There's no jarring disconnet between the story and the shooting, and that's good.

Okay, I'm not being entirely fair, Steve, since all of this is just my assumptions that MoH might be like that based on my perception of MW2 while you have actually played the game. It's just that, as stupid as that sounds, I really like scripts.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Well, I believe that Medal of Honor has potential, whereas call of duty is something we've all seen 2 times now, so I can take an accurate guess of whats going to happen.

It's just sad that EA received so much bad feedback(due to the taliban) , but its weird how MW2, Black Ops and indeed COD 4 didn't. Maybe they're bribing all the newspapers, Michael Atkinson and all censorship attorneys.

As for the review, well, interesting, to say the least.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
I think we're all missing the important question here. What the hell happened to the Gaming Stash?

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Painful illusion said:
I see medal of Honor as the underdog against COD. I really wanted this game to be better than Black ops..."sigh".. maybe in a few years. I can only hope they do better.
All the trailers and interviews really really made me want this game to be amazing. I hope it might be worth buying used in 6 months, but I don't know. Hopefully Danger Close gets a sequel.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Also: is it just me, or do any of the platforms offer the level of visual quality shown in footage like the Limited Edition trailer, or the video of the HUD-less Apache gunfighter level? Unless there's an aspect I've missed, EA promoted a gorgeous-looking game and sold us a decent-looking one.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
you forgot to mention that the game comes in a box and that you use a controller

how about some emotion?

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Wolfinton said:
Hmmm, this game seems to be getting average reviews at most places.

Well, at least this didn't just give it an average review because it 'copied' off CoD. You cannot copy of a game that has copied off a game that has copied off a game. Off a game. And another.

It can really annoy me when CoD can do the same thing year in, year out and get amazingly high review scores, yet when anything else does it it is bad and a downright copy and gets low reviews for it? That just isn't right.

Now on topic, like I said at the start, seems like this is getting average reviews everywhere.
Depends if it's a bad copy or not :)

Not counting MW2 (which I haven't played yet), I found Infinity Ward's offerings to be better than Treyarch's. Infinity Ward seems to know how to put you in a set-piece with minimal exposition and make it work by giving you clear objectives in game, while Treyarch seems to make the mistake of trying to make you give a shit about the characters (how I hated those unskippable cut-scenes in CoD 3... I don't care about the French woman's boyfriend, I want to shoot shit). Watching some of the clips from Black Ops and I've already made the decision to wait until the price drops.

Reading through some of the Medal Of Honor reviews, it sounds like they're obviously aping Modern Warfare, but are really inconsistent with connecting you with the set pieces. When it works, it's awesome, but quite often you're wandering around looking for the magic spot that triggers the next event. In other words, a bad copy of what made Call Of Duty 4 such a beloved game.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Misterkillsall said:
Is it just me, or does this feel like Bad Company 2?
Yeah. The guns have the beefed up noise which Bad Company 2 have, which COD doesn't. Remember MOH was partly done by DICE. Also the graphics had quite a lot of similarity to Bad company 2. I think it has something to do with most of MOH being run on DICE stuff. Stuff which was used to run Bad Company 2.

It's just Bad Company 2 didn't have all the really annoying scripted sequences which MOH has.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Jester00 said:
looks like bad company 2. i'll buy it.
No, no, no, no, no. It's nothing like BC2. Seriously, I figured that this might be more like BC2 but with a serious twist, but no, not even close. I'm shocked that even with DICE working on it, it is so dumbed down. It's a much worse MW2 and not worth the money. Please heed my words and don't buy.