Review: Medal of Honor

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Although the rest of the review was nice, consice and informative, I'm calling BS on the fact that EA changed the Taliban's label at the last minute just for profit reasons.

If they truely wanted to cater to the partisan-fueled boycotting, they would've made the changes a while before they actually did, and they would've made much more extensive changes than just a simple label change. Don't you think EA would've made more changes to cater to loud-mouthed politicians?

Seriously, the reviewer even said "They're FUCKING Taliban" but still called EA sellouts. Whatever.

Otherwise, I look forward to playing this game. CoD has all the same flaws that the reviewer mentioned and I liked its Single Player.

Painful illusion

Oct 9, 2010
dragonburner said:
Painful illusion said:
I see medal of Honor as the underdog against COD. I really wanted this game to be better than Black ops..."sigh".. maybe in a few years. I can only hope they do better.
All the trailers and interviews really really made me want this game to be amazing. I hope it might be worth buying used in 6 months, but I don't know. Hopefully Danger Close gets a sequel.
Yes, I wish the same also.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
Misterkillsall said:
Is it just me, or does this feel like Bad Company 2... minus destructible enviroments? This seems like the kind of game you would buy if you couldn't afford MW2 or BC2, except that IT JUST CAME OUT so it's still sixty bucks.

No thank you good sir, I have better ways of spending my money.
Well, it IS made by Dice After all...

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I really enjoyed the game. Not really sure what was "heavily scripted" in campaign. CoD is heavily scripted, and Black Ops looks like you're an actor in a movie. If they stick with this style for the next one, it will be much better. Multiplayer needs work though. Snipers are set up so they literally offer no disadvantage. The "battle rifles" take 2 body shots for a kill, so people just spam them. Plus they can hide behind rocks and show 2 pixels of a shoulder and kill you. Also, they can be used in CQC quite effectivly, sadly. The other classes and weapons seem balanced though. So once these issues are fixed, and hopefully more guns, maps, and a higher level cap, the MP will be more fun. I'm not going back to CoD.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Why are all the reviewers so nice with this game? Had this not been a shooter, everyone would have raped it a new one.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
mezmerizer02 said:
the reviewer didn't do a very enthusiastic job explaining that this game was in most ways much more realisitic to how events are overseas for special operations, which was the mainstay point of the development of the game. It seems as though Steven was very biased. I did pick it up at launch, and i will say there are some drawbacks that took me out of complete immersion at times, but it was an overall great effort. The multiplayer isn't as good as MW's but the singleplayer is definately a winner. Remember to SLIDE!
It's not a critic's job to enthusiastically point out a game's selling point. That's a marketer's job. The fact that he didn't do this shows his lack of bias.

If the single player really only lasts 6 hours, it may be a winner for some, but it certainly won't be getting my $60. Maybe I'll wait until it inevitably drops to $30... I'll probably only have to wait for a month or so, judging from what people are saying.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
RUINER ACTUAL said:
I really enjoyed the game. Not really sure what was "heavily scripted" in campaign. CoD is heavily scripted, and Black Ops looks like you're an actor in a movie. If they stick with this style for the next one, it will be much better. Multiplayer needs work though. Snipers are set up so they literally offer no disadvantage. The "battle rifles" take 2 body shots for a kill, so people just spam them. Plus they can hide behind rocks and show 2 pixels of a shoulder and kill you. Also, they can be used in CQC quite effectivly, sadly. The other classes and weapons seem balanced though. So once these issues are fixed, and hopefully more guns, maps, and a higher level cap, the MP will be more fun. I'm not going back to CoD.
He explains what he means by heavily scripted in the written review. Same # of enemies always spawn in the same place, activated by the same triggers, and exhibit the same behavior (even down to seeking the same cover). Reading is FUNdamental.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
PhiMed said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
He explains what he means by heavily scripted in the written review. Same # of enemies always spawn in the same place, activated by the same triggers, and exhibit the same behavior (even down to seeking the same cover). Reading is FUNdamental.
I know. I read the review. I'm not sure how this is a relavent thing to say when things in games are always heavily scripted. Look at Halo, or any CoD. Many, many scripted events.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i give the game one good thing. The guns have so much more weight to them than any other Shooters i've played. Plus the thud u get from getting hit is also fantastic! Its too bad its not worth $60

maybe ill pick it up when its $29.95 on Steam.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Hm...killing sentries stealthily in the snow? Shooting targets from an apache? Helicopter crashes? Short play time? Modern Era? Rebellious superiors? Ass-hat even more superiors? I'll confess I haven't played MOH, but I did play MW2, and it's sounding kinda similar...just set in Afghanistan?

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Mromson said:
Why are all the reviewers so nice with this game? Had this not been a shooter, everyone would have raped it a new one.
Why? It doesn't do anything exceptionally wrong, its better balanced then Cod. The SP is just as long as the last CoD game, and the heavily scripted thing is BS, nobody complained about MW2 being heavily scripted, admittedly, some of the events in MW2 where better written, but over all there wasn't that much of a difference.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like everything that is wrong in the current gaming world. Not exactly bad, but decidedly forgettable, uninspired and more of the same. pass...

vonjibble

Sep 22, 2009
I like most of the reviews that the Escapist does but they are mostly reviewed on consoles (Xbox 360 especialy) and not on PC I find this very odd when it comes to FPS games.
Why is this? (Does it just happen to be the version that they get sent or something?)

CtrldChaos

Jul 12, 2010
I bought the game and i genuinely like it. Haven't finished it yet, but it is definitely worth trying out.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
TheComedown said:
Mromson said:
Why? It doesn't do anything exceptionally wrong, its better balanced then Cod. The SP is just as long as the last CoD game, and the heavily scripted thing is BS, nobody complained about MW2 being heavily scripted, admittedly, some of the events in MW2 where better written, but over all there wasn't that much of a difference.
I didn't like MW2 either, but that's beyond the point. This is a complete clone of FPSes that have come before it. You shouldn't even get a mediocre score for simply copying some shit others have already done, which is pretty much what MoH did. The SP is shit and done way better by other FPS developers, while the MP is also shit compared to other FPSes, not to mention BFBC2. Beyond the small praise over "the MP is a little bit more balanced", I see nothing worth even looking twice at - it's a tackles game that should have been ripped to shreds by reviewers.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Mromson said:
You shouldn't even get a mediocre score for simply copying some shit others have already done, which is pretty much what MoH did.
It's also what most of the other big name FPSs have been doing for years, I don't see your point. All the other big name FPSs simply copy the same shit over and over making usually only small tweaks between versions. And so because this game follows the formula that most of the others do, it has to be labeled as shit? For following a formula thats worked for years?