Review: Metroid Other M

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Review: Metroid Other M

Samus returns with an extra M. Does it stand for ?marvelous? or just ?meh"?

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*goes back to playing Prime Trilogy Collection*

If I didn't have this...I'd be very sad about Other M.

That said, I'll pick up Other M. Just for the story. Since it's the only Big N franchise that really has one worth delving into.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I might consider buying this, then, if for no other reason then to get a use out of my Wii.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ouch, this is why Metroid dose not need a story..... I'd rather have a crash lock her powers than a EX.......oy....... is it me or is like EP1-3 all the mysticism is reduced or replaced with pint by numbers crap that feel random and arbitrary?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
It's dire, absolutely dire. Whatever charm there is in the gameplay is washed away by the constant, awful, awful awful cutscenes which never end. I hope I can pawn it off on somebody.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
*goes back to playing Prime Trilogy Collection*

If I didn't have this...I'd be very sad about Other M.

That said, I'll pick up Other M. Just for the story. Since it's the only Big N franchise that really has one worth delving into.
And yet that is apparently where this game goes tragically wrong, according to many reviewers. Samus Aran is constantly out of character in this game. And that's a real shame.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I was worrie dwhen they came out and said that you can watch the cutscenes as a movie when you complete the game and they were PROUD of it!

Not been much of a metroid fan sadly but was looking forward to giving this a whirl but I dont like the sound of the way they took her character so I'll probably give this one a miss

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I'm just checking here, was Steve kidding when he said you can use your powers when your boyfriend says it's alright?

Because if he wasn't kidding... I..I...Yeah.

Adules

Sep 2, 2010
I joined this site just so I could talk about Other M. For the most part I agree with the review, but i have to say that this is the most terrible metroid game to come out so far, rivaling only Metroid Prime Hunters.

The combat is solid, for the most part, except it honestly feels better suited for something like a Mega Man game, rather than a Metroid game. The constant high intensity, fast paced combat would be fine, except the game sacrifices atmosphere and exploration at the same time, making it feel more like a quick paced action title, than an actionadventure/puzzle title. In previous games, especially Prime, you could stop and breath in the beautiful environments. A combination of beautiful map designs, music, and graphical effects would either build incredible environments, or create intense suspense. But in Other M, we have linear, uninteresting, tedious level designs, which are just generic and boring. But of course, worse than anything, is the absolutely terrible plot. I disagree with the review on the point that it gets better, because for me, it was consistently horrible. I am against the idea of fleshing out Samus's personality, as I prefer the games to be mysterious with minimum dialogue (like a solo journeys through beautiful and hostile scifi worlds). So, yeah I am against the concept to begin with, but this character is just plain awful. It's horrendous. She is not bad ass in the slightest, her "introspective depth" is shallow and obnoxious, and she is completely submissive. The story is riddled with cliches, characters are terrible, writing is bottom tier, and worst of all, there is zero subtlety. So, in my opinion, this game sucks in almost every way. Don't buy it, because not only is it a waste of money, it supports the idea that this game is a good idea. If they make a lot of money on this piece of shit, then they might be convinced to continue the franchise in this direction.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
I always considered that this would be on a similar level as 'Metroid Fusion'. Good, but depending on how you look at it you could be very disappointed with some of the directions taken. The difference is that Other M seems to also have taken a lot more risks with the controls and gameplay as well as being a lot more big-budget with spectacle and cutscenes. Personally, since I played the hell out of Super Metroid when younger and still consider it to be the best Metroid game and have a feeling that I'm far from the only person to feel that, the bombastic intro sounds like it'll be fine for me and its really a bit of nostalgic fanservice. The fact that everyone has to go through it is probably a bit less great though. Broadly though, sounds good. Yeah, its not the best ever and the characterization stuff probably won't match but you could totally still have fun with it. And considering how most of the time Samus is often a blank slate as far as character goes...being out of character would be pretty damn easy.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I knew from the start this game wouldn't do it for me. After seeing the reviews I'm right. Not only is Samus WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of character, the whole thing has just gotten too... and I don't want this to sounds rude or racist... Japanese.

The Metroid series started as a video game answer to western Scifi. It had Japanese influence, definitely, but if you play though Fusion, Super Metroid, or any of the Prime series, it's going to make you feel more Star Wars or Halo than, say, Akira or Gundam (not to make direct comparisons- those are just examples).

The fact that, due to the story and cutscenes and fucked up characterization of Samus and even the gameplay, it looks as if it's turned into an anime in video game form, I am completely and utterly turned off by this fact. I might- might- borrow this from a friend. And even then, I doubt I'll finish it.

I haven't played it and I already damn near despise it. That never happens...

Ah, well. At least I got Reach in just 12 days.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, Im not totally susprised. I never expected it to be the greaztest, but, didnt seem like it was this bad - Does have its good elements though, so thats always a plus

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
FFKonoko said:
I always considered that this would be on a similar level as 'Metroid Fusion'. Good, but depending on how you look at it you could be very disappointed with some of the directions taken. The difference is that Other M seems to also have taken a lot more risks with the controls and gameplay as well as being a lot more big-budget with spectacle and cutscenes. Personally, since I played the hell out of Super Metroid when younger and still consider it to be the best Metroid game and have a feeling that I'm far from the only person to feel that, the bombastic intro sounds like it'll be fine for me and its really a bit of nostalgic fanservice. The fact that everyone has to go through it is probably a bit less great though. Broadly though, sounds good. Yeah, its not the best ever and the characterization stuff probably won't match but you could totally still have fun with it. And considering how most of the time Samus is often a blank slate as far as character goes...being out of character would be pretty damn easy.
(Sorry for double posting, for some reason my previous post hasn't shown up yet o_O)

Actually, believe it or not, Samus's stoic and nearly unspeaking personality doesn't make her a blank slate. It's part of her character. Think about it:

When she was about 5, her parents were brutally murdered by the Space Pirates, the same enemies she'd end up fighting years upon years later. The trauma of losing them THEN losing the Chozo that took her in turned her into a much more introspective person. She barely spoke to anyone but herself. Although I like that it's telling the story of the one person to get her to talk more than a few words (Adam Malkovich) I can still seriously tell that her characterization is fucked up, even though this sort of character is one of the easiest kind to write to.

They complicated it not for any reason other than to have a dramatic story. The Metroid story is dramatic enough if you delve deep, and it's dramatic in a sublte, beautiful way, instead of in your face "SHE'S DEPRESSED" sort of way.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
Grey Carter said:
It's dire, absolutely dire. Whatever charm there is in the gameplay is washed away by the constant, awful, awful awful cutscenes which never end. I hope I can pawn it off on somebody.
I have to agree. I played it and immediately cashed it in after the credits rolled. The 3rd person gameplay was the only thing that was done well in this game, everything else was atrocious and downright insulting to the series and players.

oranger

May 27, 2008
When the company began releasing "teaser" pics of Samus Aran in a latex skinsuit, what the fuck did you people think they were gonna do with her character? Give the existing strong female lead speaking lines? Or create this submissive mockery?
Sigh...whats next, Jade from beyond good and evil?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
FFKonoko said:
(Sorry for double posting, for some reason my previous post hasn't shown up yet o_O)

Actually, believe it or not, Samus's stoic and nearly unspeaking personality doesn't make her a blank slate. It's part of her character. Think about it:

When she was about 5, her parents were brutally murdered by the Space Pirates, the same enemies she'd end up fighting years upon years later. The trauma of losing them THEN losing the Chozo that took her in turned her into a much more introspective person. She barely spoke to anyone but herself. Although I like that it's telling the story of the one person to get her to talk more than a few words (Adam Malkovich) I can still seriously tell that her characterization is fucked up, even though this sort of character is one of the easiest kind to write to.

They complicated it not for any reason other than to have a dramatic story. The Metroid story is dramatic enough if you delve deep, and it's dramatic in a sublte, beautiful way, instead of in your face "SHE'S DEPRESSED" sort of way.
Man, screw this pseudo-romance shite. I want to know WHY Samus left the Federation military, or maybe even a tale where Samus explores the origins of the Space Pirates. I completely agree with you: Samus' character was absolutely decimated in this game. Doesn't help that the voice actress is shoddy at best. Seriously, WHY did they not bring back Jennifer Hale (the lady who played Samus through the Prime trilogy)? She's actually a GOOD voice actress.

I like Other M, but I'm not overly impressed by it. Can't say I'm surprised: Team Ninja's stuff has always been rather "meh" to me.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I have some thoughts on controller options in Wii games, and specifically Metroid:Other M. I'll copy them here if anyone would like to see.

This thought runs through my mind every time I get a new Wii game, Why don't they allow for at least the choice of classic or GC controller (in some games).

The subject this time is Metroid: other M. I would like to put a disclaimer here and say that I am enjoying the game a lot. And despite what I am going to say the regular controls aren't that bad.

I'll list off the controls first. I have yet to beat the game or get all the items so I'm only listing what I know so far.

First off the game plays in 3rd and 1st person modes. In 3rd person mode, the 3 face buttons, jump, shoot, and morphball (and map/options screen.). movement is controlled with the D-pad. Point the Wii mote up and hold A to recharge health and missiles. Press the D-pad just before being hit to dodge. Point the Wii mote at the screen to go into 1st person mode.

In first person mode the controls are. move the Wii mote to move aiming cursor. Press A to fire. Hold R to scan and R+Wii mote movement to change view. R+Wii mote movement to the side just before being hit to dodge.

I have 4 points on this control scheme. One I feel that the basic 3rd person controls part is trying to emulate a 3D beat 'em up style in the style of God of War or indeed Ninja Gaiden. But they are working with much less buttons than a 360 or Ps3 controller. For example the "press D-pad right before being hit to dodge" feels like the dodge move in say Bayonetta. But instead of the usual "use right thumb stick" or "shoulder button+left thumb stick" they had to work with what they had. And while there solution is adequate, when ever you leave things up to the game (in this case only being able to dodge when an attack is near by) you take freedom away from the player.

number 2 using a D-pad with 8 directions to move around a full 3D environment feels kind of clunky. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by thumb sticks. It's not a big complaint though.

3rd point being that the 3rd person combat is largely auto aim based. Now don't get me wrong you need it to be auto aim based unless your going to make Samus melee all her enemies. But When you leave prioritizing enemies to the game they may not choose what you want. Thinking about it though this point isn't the controllers fault, but rather just a small gripe with the game.

And lastly the whole transition between 3rd to 1st perspectives by pointing at the screen feels awkward to me. Perhaps I'll get more used to it as the game progresses. but trying to do that in a tense combat situation is so far not working out very well.

OK after that wall of text lets talk about how this could easily be adapted to a classic or GC controller.

In 3rd person mode the controls would be. Left thumb stick for movement. 3 face buttons do shoot, jump and morphball (and start for map/options). 4th face button for recharge. 1 shoulder button to change to 1st person view. The other shoulder button+left thumb stick to dodge.

In first person view. left thumb stick for aim. Right thumb stick for view change. Face button to shoot. Another face button for scan (probably the same one that was jump in 3rd person mode).

I believe this control scheme would work perfectly fine for the game.

That being said, I don't think that the current control scheme is that bad. But rather that the choice should be given for those that would want to use it.

What are your thoughts on this and the games controls in general.

(sorry for going on a bit long, my topics usually aren't this big.)

here's a link to the thread I made if you wish to post there.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.229700-Choices-of-controller-types-in-Wii-games#7971183

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I feel like I should ignore this title and just insist that Samus is still the strong female heroin she was before.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
ZeroMachine said:
FFKonoko said:

Man, screw this pseudo-romance shite. I want to know WHY Samus left the Federation military, or maybe even a tale where Samus explores the origins of the Space Pirates. I completely agree with you: Samus' character was absolutely decimated in this game. Doesn't help that the voice actress is shoddy at best. Seriously, WHY did they not bring back Jennifer Hale (the lady who played Samus through the Prime trilogy)? She's actually a GOOD voice actress.

I like Other M, but I'm not overly impressed by it. Can't say I'm surprised: Team Ninja's stuff has always been rather "meh" to me.
Same here. Team Ninja is more suited to hyperactive action games. Metroid is all about tactical fights while exploring a very immersive, atmospheric world. It has epic action, but no where near like this... it just doesn't work...

EDIT: Though personally, I want to see a story of what happens after Metroid Fusion. Like, maybe a game where she has to

evade the Federation Military while hunting some new threat because she's wanted for destroying the station and SR388.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
so.....Metroid is now as degenerated as zelda? where have all the half-decent franchises gone :/
*still buys it, cannot believe it*