Review: Mirror's Edge

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Mirror's Edge

Mirror's Edge is many things, but boring sure ain't one of them.

Read Full Article

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out the game on a display terminal at my local EB and the shoulder button jumping really threw me for a loop. Unfortunately my fiancee has put a lock on my gaming spending until I beat Fallout, Fable and Dead Space so Mirrors Edge is not going to be a pick up anytime soon. Despite how much awesome fun First Person Free Running is.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Go figure, they finally make a female character who, while obviously attractive, has a more sensible look. And they give her a ridiculous name.

I saw a screenshot once where Faith was basically streamlined, and yet her arms still came in from the right and left. I found that to be a little awkward looking for such good graphics.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I love this game. It was never once frustrating for me, but I can understand how it can drive some people nuts. Or off the edge.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Go figure, they finally make a female character who, while obviously attractive, has a more sensible look. And they give her a ridiculous name.

I saw a screenshot once where Faith was basically streamlined, and yet her arms still came in from the right and left. I found that to be a little awkward looking for such good graphics.
Faith is a ridiculous name?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Not out of context, no. But for a heroine it's a little cliche and, I don't know, maybe ridiculous is the wrong word. I've never been great with vocabulary.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
The developers mentioned that in one of our interviews. Her arms and legs are frequently brought into frame for the effect, anatomical correctness is put aside.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
I concur, the shoes are awesome. I'd like a pair, even if they'd make me look like a cross-dresser xD

Susan Arendt said:
I think the name could be linked to the term 'Leap of Faith'. Although some people might find it lame and very corny, I think the name has a larger meaning. Even than the one I just mentioned.

And what did you think of the music during the game and end credits, Susan?

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
Been playing this for a week now, gotta say....not impressed. Every level makes me feel like a games tester who's job it is to test gap distance between stuff, right before the developers put crowds, playability and 'fun stuff' in! Assassins Creed is a lot older and is busting with content compared to this, don't get me wrong, the IP is nice enough, but any game where the starting level is played in EXACTLY the same way as the middle & the end of the game....needs a LOT of work.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Fangface74 said:
Assassins Creed is a lot older and is busting with content compared to this, don't get me wrong, the IP is nice enough, but any game where the starting level is played in EXACTLY the same way as the middle & the end of the game....needs a LOT of work.
I'm sorry, did I really just read that correctly? Ok, the game starts off the same in that you run toward a goal, fight a little, run away again and that's one chapter usually. But please do tell me when this has not been the case in Assassin's Creed? Even more so in AC because you had a requirement of at least two mini-games to fill for information gathering which got real boring real fast. At least Mirror's Edge kept it a little fresh with ever-changing colour environments and new puzzles. And about the start of the level being the same in every chapter in Mirror's Edge; Did you really play the same kind of Assassin's Creed I played because I remember having to run down a damn hill and out of a village every time I started a new assassination.

Don't get me wrong I like both games but don't use Assassin's Creed to state an opinion on another game youu think is repetitive, unless you use it as THE example for repetitive levels.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Sennz0r said:
I concur, the shoes are awesome. I'd like a pair, even if they'd make me look like a cross-dresser xD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_a?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=Tabi&x=0&y=0

Enjoy! :)

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Kross said:
Sennz0r said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_a?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=Tabi&x=0&y=0

Enjoy! :)
So wait all of these are unisex and everything? I need to get me some and run around town like a maniac :p
Thanks by the way, bookmarked and asking my mom for christmas xD

Azzaevil

Jun 26, 2008
i love that sound it funny but she dies with hornor she dosent scream when falling like lara lol i like your reviwe :)

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Good review.

My main complain about Mirrors Edge is that sometimes you have to use weapons. In a game like Mirrors Edge where you have to run this is a bit annoying. Faith should not be a murder.

I don't think that Mirrors Edge is something special but it is fun and that's the most important thing in a game.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Great review. Come out for PC already damn it.

P.S. The subway slam was epic.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vlane said:
Good review.

My main complain about Mirrors Edge is that sometimes you have to use weapons. In a game like Mirrors Edge where you have to run this is a bit annoying. Faith should not be a murder.

I don't think that Mirrors Edge is something special but it is fun and that's the most important thing in a game.
Actually, one of the things I really appreciated in the game was that you could play without ever firing a shot. True, it makes some sections a bit more difficult, but with a slightly different mental approach - take on enemies one at a time, divide and conquer - it's absolutely doable.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Vlane said:
Good review.

Actually, one of the things I really appreciated in the game was that you could play without ever firing a shot. True, it makes some sections a bit more difficult, but with a slightly different mental approach - take on enemies one at a time, divide and conquer - it's absolutely doable.
I concur 100%. It's really nice to see a major game give you the option of playing in a non-violent, or at least non-lethal way.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know but this game doesn't tickle me. They said they added the arms and feet tickling in for the effect but in fact it totally breaks the effect. It's like watching through a window somebody is waving cutout boards from the side. And besides I'm a die hard hater of LOF ( leap of faith ). Like often: good idea ( I like the idea, really ) but poor execution. Graphic style is good though, cartoony, but that alone doesn't save it. One of the games which requires somebody else to pick up the idea and bring it to the end it once had been envisions before missing the (jump-)target by a mile.