Review: Muramasa: The Demon Blade

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
research two seconds.

Kitsune is the Japanese word for fox. Foxes are a common subject of Japanese folklore; kitsune usually refers to them in this context. Stories depict them as intelligent beings and as possessing magical abilities that increase with their age and wisdom. Foremost among these is the ability to assume human form. While some folktales speak of kitsune employing this ability to trick others?as foxes in folklore often do?other stories portray them as faithful guardians, friends, lovers, and wives.

blablax2

Sep 19, 2009
Let me get this straight, the main issue that this review brings up is that the game's story and situations don't make sense and that the combat is repetitive?

If you ask me, and that is a big if, you shouldn't play video games for their story line. For that kind of stuff just watch a movie or read a book, seriously, stories in those are infinitely better than any video game has ever pulled off.

And for the repetive part, it's a really subjective matter. I mean, you don't get more repetitive than Tetris and somehow millions upon millions don't find that annoying at all.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Looks like a beautifull game, but you got to know the japanese culture to understand and enjoy it better.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
blablax2 said:
Let me get this straight, the main issue that this review brings up is that the game's story and situations don't make sense and that the combat is repetitive?

If you ask me, and that is a big if, you shouldn't play video games for their story line. For that kind of stuff just watch a movie or read a book, seriously, stories in those are infinitely better than any video game has ever pulled off.

And for the repetive part, it's a really subjective matter. I mean, you don't get more repetitive than Tetris and somehow millions upon millions don't find that annoying at all.
You haven't been here long have you?

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
I for one support the decision to map "jump" to up (though I use the classic controller, which might make a difference).

The difference here is that combat doesn't work in quite the same way as other brawlers. You don't mash a button to rack up hit combos, but rather hold down "attack" and start dashing. Keeping mobile and juggling enemies by using midair dashes and uppercuts is the most important tactic, especially in Shura (Hard) difficulty.

It's best to think of Muramasa as a 2D Devil May Cry. You're constantly using left-to-right jumps and juggle attacks to keep enemies off-balance, switching swords to keep them from breaking and taking advantage of quick-draw attacks. So many of the enemies in the game have ground-pounding or area-effect attacks that being stuck on the ground is one of the worst things that can happen.