Review: Music Game Roundup

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Until they build an adaptor that lets me plug my Jackson in those games...
Do not want :p

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for the roundup! I'd been mildly curious about Powergig (not enough to want to buy it, just about how well it works) and you've answered my questions.

From what I've heard, the Squier is going to have a mute system for when you're playing the guitar in the game versus to an amp - do you think that controller will have the same plinky issue as the Powergig one?

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
sorry steve, but i have to disagree with you on this one;

Guitar Hero's campaign was meant to be silly, all the guitar hero games are silly. if you remember at the end of GH3 when you have to fight lou in hell, and after you beat him you ascend to the tower of rock and play some dragonforce through the credits. how silly is that? the best GH campaign i've ever seen though is GH Metalica i personally like that tone because it makes the game more enjoyable.

there's also a few points you've overlooked for GH6...
-the game was going for a Heavy Metal theme (i still don't know why they threw in those soft ones, you're totally right) but the metal makes the story a lot more silly, but it was awesome. i'd rather fight demons with the shear power of my metal to defend the ancient ways than play shows for money.
-the story was written by Dave Mustaine (lead singer and lead guitarist for MEGADETH) that's worth something, right?
-the story made sense: fight through the forces, find the ancient weapon of rock, and defeat the metal beast to save the world, EPIC.
-dave mustaine wrote a special song just for GH6, sudden death. super hard, very fast, very megadeth. it was badass
-narrated by gene simmons, the god of thunder. makes sense, right?

the game tried harder to appeal to the fans that fell in love with the franchise's most popular game, Guitar hero 3, which was easily the best game in the entire series. i'm glad they did to, the setlist turned out much better than in previous titles, but i was still diapointed that they didn't hold true to the metal theme and threw the entire rush album 2112 on there. in an interview, rush said the album really fits the story of GH6, and it kind of does, but that doesn't escape the fact that it isn't metal. the song Painkiller by judas priest would been more suitable, that song much more accurately fits the story of GH6.

in lamens terms, you gotta give GH6 a bit more credit, critizing it for the thing it was going after is way too harsh. silly=fun and fun=video games. never forget that steve butts, never forget that. video games must always = fun

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
tautologico said:
I won't argue about this much longer
You won't have to :) I'll just add a few points for clarification:

The reason I am so very sure this is not only achievable, but even easily so, is that I've seen this tech demoed by a few uni students, as a second year project, and it worked with a amazing accuracy (somewhere between 97-99%). Apparently, to achieve what you speak of (to be able to do the analysis in time and frequency, very, very fast) is a matter of computational power, not an absolute limitation. Power of which we have more than enough today.

That is why the tech used in vocal recognition games (such as Rock Band, GH and Singstar), or even the tech used in accurate tuners, is more than adequate for the job. If programmed for the task, it works far better than current vocal recognition engines (which, I've heard it argued, are rather badly implemented, in several ways. As a vocalist, I rather enjoy singing along in Rockstar, but I do wish the input recognition was both more accurate, and more advanced, with mechanics such as being able to recognize and match the octave, actual word shaping recognition, etc).

tautologico said:
Maybe Harmonix didn't do this because of market considerations. When the original Guitar Hero games came out (first 2), I knew the appeal was exactly the simplification. But when you have a Pro mode, I think it's kinda blurring the line.
On this, I agree completely. They have blurred the line, and this might affect both their own analysis, and the way the market will respond to more advanced controllers, which is why I would not be surprised if they eventually deem the market ready for real guitar tone recognition.

tautologico said:
Well, if you say you have seen it working, I believe in you. Though I'll only believe it works really well, as well/fast/responsive as a controller does, when I see it :)
If you are truly interested, I can try to dig up some kind of demonstration of the tech. I doubt I'll succeed, though ;-)

Regardless of which, thanks for an interesting discussion, and for sharing your expertise.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Ayjona said:
If you are truly interested, I can try to dig up some kind of demonstration of the tech. I doubt I'll succeed, though ;-)

Regardless of which, thanks for an interesting discussion, and for sharing your expertise.
It was interesting indeed. I'm not much of a sound guy myself (worked with image processing, but the basics of signal processing are the same), but I probably thought it was more difficult than it is.

Anyway, knowing that it is feasible is good, I may suggest this as a project to people interested in real-time audio processing in the future :)