Review: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Mario returns to his 2-D roots. But is it worth the trip?

Read Full Article

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
This is the first time I've been jealous of Wii owners since I saw Paper Mario. Every time the commercial comes on TV, I think for a split second "damn, did I really just get an XBox when there's a new mario game coming out?" Then I remember that I'm not 6 anymore and I go back to playing Borderlands. But to all of you enjoying this game, cheers! Glad to hear Mario's gone back to his roots!

Mushroomfreak111

Oct 24, 2009
Personally I was tired of Mario after the N64 game came out:p

But hey, I'm sure the game has it's charm. I don't own a Wii, I don't plan on getting one (and I can't afford one...), but if a friend of mine does get the game I'll give it a shot. That would be the first Mario game since N64 too!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Hey! Doki Doki no Panic was a good game, even when they mutated it into Mario 2 for everywhere that wasn't Japan. Yeah, it wasn't really Mario, but it was still fun.

But in all seriousness, this review almost pushed me over the edge into buying it sooner, but the ending reminded me why I'm waiting a bit.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks interesting. Dont know if I would actually buy it, and reading the article has pretty much reaffirmed that belief.

I'll likely rent it for a weekend, see what its like, and relive the memories...ah, memories

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I want to play it but I'll wait until the price drops to about $25 - $30. It looks awesome but it does render itself to the "been there, done that" feeling in my brain.

Richard Hannay

Nov 30, 2009
Have it and love it. Deam's analysis of the multiplayer is spot on; more difficult and fun as hell. Being platformer-savvy is not the greatest advantage when playing with friends because "teamwork" has never really been a part of the 2D Mario-player skill set.

My friends and I have spent hours on World 7-6 (a groundless auto-scroller) and still haven't finished it (or even made it halfway through), but we never tire of it or even get frustrated because the combination of trying to perfect our (individual and cooperative) Circle-Du-Soleil-esque maneuvering and hilariously and inadvertently screwing each other over is endlessly entertaining.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Jon Etheridge said:
I want to play it but I'll wait until the price drops to about $25 - $30. It looks awesome but it does render itself to the "been there, done that" feeling in my brain.
Good luck seeing that price tag. (Unless its a sale but it's rare for a Mario game to be discounted)

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
When all else fails, aim for the nostalgia.
I don't think "failure" is a fair term to use in regards to this game, going by how much everyone, reviewer included, seems to enjoy it. It doesn't seem likely that they designed the game around a high retail price, let alone for nostalgia's sake.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Manicotti said:
Casual Shinji said:
When all else fails, aim for the nostalgia.
I don't think "failure" is a fair term to use in regards to this game, going by how much everyone, reviewer included, seems to enjoy it. It doesn't seem likely that they designed the game around a high retail price, let alone for nostalgia's sake.
Nah, I wasn't refering to the game, but to the majority of Wii games that sell like hot cakes but aren't really getting the gamers excited. With The New Super Mario Bros. they hook both party's: The Casuals are drawn to the cutesey and pwetty pictures and the gamers are drawn to the nostalgia.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Nah, I wasn't refering to the game, but to the majority of Wii games that sell like hot cakes but aren't really getting the gamers excited. With The New Super Mario Bros. they hook both party's: The Casuals are drawn to the cutesey and pwetty pictures and the gamers are drawn to the nostalgia.
I'll give you that. I agree that there is too much focus on giving past franchises a makeover just because of all the neat things the Wii can do.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
*headdesk* no thanks...this is what you call milking...... give me a proper #D, 3rd person or FP mario game with proper power ups and exploring (mabye tweaked to be more adventure friendly vrs action platformer) and I will eat it up off the wall crap like sunshine and Galaxy I do not want....

Richard Hannay

Nov 30, 2009
Glefistus said:
If you want to play Super Mario Bros. Wii by yourself, go buy a previous Mario platformer. It will be exactly the same, and probably easier to play than with a wiimote.
Fixed.

But yeah, if you're gonna play alone, then I'd say there's nothing to merit dropping the amount on the price tag for it. You're right, but I think the co-op multiplayer distinction is an important one.