Review: Nier

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
You should mention, however, that that the chick who swears while wearing (only) her underwear has a penis.

So... uh... you should probably not let that last reason be part of your buying criteria.
*Snob-Snob*

Alright, but seriously, the game looks like it will be fun, albeit not top-notch, and I'll probably get it when the price drops, but I don't know if I want to play through the game 4 times to get the 4 endings (or however you get the four endings.)

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Not my kind of game, but I feel to compelled to share the fact that "nier" means "kidney" in Dutch.

That's probably not relevant to anything at all, though.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Awww, come on!!! Not even one little mention of the absolutely amazing soundtrack?!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
s69-5 said:
Sonicron said:
Awww, come on!!! Not even one little mention of the absolutely amazing soundtrack?!
That was maybe my only real minus with the game. It was cool at first, but soon it got REALLY repetitive. I think the music loops too often (or is just too similar from "verse" to "verse").
It gets a bit repetitive when you're grinding sidequests, but other than that there's huge variety in it. The OST contains 2 discs, packed full with tracks.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Well, you've done enough to make me interested in this once the price drops a bit. Right now, though, I don't have Nier the budget required to buy this new.

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
gotta say i absolutely LOVED grimoire weiss's voice, its just orgasmic and hes so sarcastic, its hilarious as hell

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I disagree. I am about 15 -20 hours in and I am loving it. I know the sidequests are repetative (they are all delivery or fetch quests) and I am constantly backtracking. Things that in any other game would have me popping in a different disc. I don't mind it at all in Nier. I love the characters and I am immersed in the game. Could be because I'm a father myself so his motivation is something I can relate to. I am loving the story because it isn't spoonfeeding me or bogging me down with BS. It feels natural (even though one of the characters is a talking book with an attitude). My big complaint and something that should be in any proffesional review is the fishing. Not that the fishing is bad once you get the hang of it. The instructions both ingame and in the manual (which I am happy to report is like a real manual from days past) are wrong. This can lead to frustration when you are given the first fishing quest (which is mandatory).

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
s69-5 said:
squid5580 said:
I disagree. I am about 15 -20 hours in and I am loving it. I know the sidequests are repetative (they are all delivery or fetch quests) and I am constantly backtracking. Things that in any other game would have me popping in a different disc. I don't mind it at all in Nier. I love the characters and I am immersed in the game. Could be because I'm a father myself so his motivation is something I can relate to. I am loving the story because it isn't spoonfeeding me or bogging me down with BS. It feels natural (even though one of the characters is a talking book with an attitude). My big complaint and something that should be in any proffesional review is the fishing. Not that the fishing is bad once you get the hang of it. The instructions both ingame and in the manual (which I am happy to report is like a real manual from days past) are wrong. This can lead to frustration when you are given the first fishing quest (which is mandatory).
Ooh boy, I cursed the fishing at first, until I learned to NOT PRESS X! Just pulled back on the analog stick and then I was able to catch me some fish. I ended up catching 'em all (kind of like Pokemon, if I were younger).

But yeah, the fishing explanation (and quest information) is pretty vague.
Well we can't blame the beach thing on the game since there is the big red X where you are supposed to fish lol (ya I got suckered by him as well). it is the whole press left or right without telling you hold down and angle it slightly that killed me. Now I'm a pro though. None of this fishing for 20 minutes for 1 fish like a lot of people are bitching about (which is thier own fault for trying to catch fish above thier level)

Harn

Nov 19, 2009
I just rented the game, it's pretty good, great storyline, but yeah, the gameplay does get rather repetetive as it goes on, pretty much just found myself using the Phoenix spear and Dark Lance for everything, mainly cause by the end of the game, you don't have enough time to stick around for a long combo, so just smacking [Y] for the quick spear charge was the easiest way of beating everything.

Personally, I wish the game had taken place in the snowy post-apocalyptic city from the intro, seemed like a much better setting for a game of this style than the one they went with [A.K.A, Hyrule].

Oh yea, anyone else totally not give a damn what happened to Yonah? I mean, I get that saving her is supposed to be the main focus of the game, but it never really made an effort to make me care about her, the game just sort of said "Here, this is your daughter, she's sick with some obscure disease that we're not going to bother explaining until the last 60 seconds of the game, go save her". Cared way more about Weiss, Kaine, and Emil. Hell, I even cared more about Devola and Popola than I did Yonah, and they're pretty much just faceless NPCs until the end of the game.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
s69-5 said:
squid5580 said:
s69-5 said:
squid5580 said:
Ooh boy, I cursed the fishing at first, until I learned to NOT PRESS X! Just pulled back on the analog stick and then I was able to catch me some fish. I ended up catching 'em all (kind of like Pokemon, if I were younger).

But yeah, the fishing explanation (and quest information) is pretty vague.
Well we can't blame the beach thing on the game since there is the big red X where you are supposed to fish lol (ya I got suckered by him as well). it is the whole press left or right without telling you hold down and angle it slightly that killed me. Now I'm a pro though. None of this fishing for 20 minutes for 1 fish like a lot of people are bitching about (which is thier own fault for trying to catch fish above thier level)
I meant pressing X to reel in the fish once you've got a bite (then pressing back). It was WAY easier to just pull the analog stick back as it automatically sets you in the proper position.
I find it easier to hit X personally. Fish bites, hit X once, hold down stick and angle accordingly. This system has worked for me for all 5 gambits and the 5 sharks for the innkeeper (this is for the PS3 version).

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I was excited for this a while back and by watching gameplay, I can't understand why people only give it "okay" reviews.

It seems like something I'd thoroughly enjoy, so I'll pick it up myself.

But only when the price goes down. I hardly ever pay full price for games anymore.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
my god a game called kidney in dutch!?
anyway interesting review will probably never play it (no consoles here)

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
A game that opens up with Laura Bailey calling be a little *****?

this game, I must haz it

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
s69-5 said:
sanzo said:
A game that opens up with Laura Bailey calling be a little *****?

this game, I must haz it
Kaine is calling the book a little *****... not the main character. And it's about halfway through in the actual game, though the devs did put it in before you press start.
Either way, it's cool. Laura Bailey is one of my favorite VAs, so her being in the game is an immediate plus