Review: Nier

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Mstrswrd said:
You should mention, however, that that the chick who swears while wearing (only) her underwear has a penis.
Although I was aware of this fact, and it certainly makes some her actions make a little more sense, this fact was not mentioned or *gasp* shown in the game.

I think this was dumbed-down a bit for the American version, which reinforces the calculated feel of the whole game.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Bennet the sage mentioned this game a bit ago. He made it sound like a fairly good game but he said the writing is hard to understand. Which I would have added the game to my list if not for that nugget. Everything else in the game sounded pretty good. It's very long though. I'm thinking this game would be territory for jrpg gamers. People outside the circle may not like it so much.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Mstrswrd said:
You should mention, however, that that the chick who swears while wearing (only) her underwear has a penis.
Although I was aware of this fact, and it certainly makes some her actions make a little more sense, this fact was not mentioned or *gasp* shown in the game.

I think this was dumbed-down a bit for the American version, which reinforces the calculated feel of the whole game.
It is if you start playing Ending B.

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
Possibly minor spoilers:

I'm still playing the game (going for ending C right now) and I've enjoyed it pretty much the entire way through, though the Game+ option (if you can call it that) added a new layer to the story that I hadn't at all expected. The fact that you still have to do the exact same things, since it's only the players, and not the characters, who get an insight into the bigger picture makes it all a little chilling, in a way that makes me want to see it all.

I must admit that at certain points in the second round I felt like I was the monster.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Flauros said:
Is it me, or does it actually sound pretty awesome?

Each dungeon represents a different gametype, including a farming sim and a text adventure?

Buti guess teh same combos over and over would get kind of boring...
Not just you....the review totally sold me on this game I was going to overlook. Between the lines I am reading "jaded reviewer misses a sense of greatness due to burnout/playing game at the wrong time." Or at least I hope so, because everything Nier was described as sounds really, really interesting to me. Much more so than other recent ventures in to the genre.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
So, the sexy, half-nekkid *****'s not gonna cut it, huh? Must be really boring then, indeed.

Next.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
You know what? I like this precedent. A JRPG that plays as the opposite of FFXIII. Sounds like a step in the right direction, one I've been waiting for since freakin' Vagrant Story.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
This is one of those baffling medium production value games, that you just know will flop from day 1.
Even the commercial whores at IGN and gamespot gave this game only a mediocre score, which illustrates how bad the game really is.

Cannot help but wonder why the publisher and the devs just go ahead and publish the game in such state anyway, instead of doing the sensible thing of cancelling it in the early development stage or atleast correct it's course halfway.
Apart from the graphics and lame ass story, many of it's flaws don't sound too hard to both point out and fix during development.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
veloper said:
Cannot help but wonder why the publisher and the devs just go ahead and publish the game in such state anyway...
Probably because it has been cheap enough to justify a release anyway.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I got this game if only because it's one of the few JRPGs that held my attention past 5 seconds. While I haven't gotten too far into the game (stuck on trying to get to the highest house in Aerie), I can say that for what it is, it isn't bad. Lacking, yes, but not bad. Nier's character kinda contradicts himself (the instruction manual says he's all gentle and benevolent, yet he sounds really gruff and impatient), and all the female characters seem to look the same. But at least the music is cool and the fights are kinda fun (except against the goats and boars... god tier just like the cuckoos from Zelda).

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Varewulf said:
Possibly minor spoilers:

I'm still playing the game (going for ending C right now) and I've enjoyed it pretty much the entire way through, though the Game+ option (if you can call it that) added a new layer to the story that I hadn't at all expected. The fact that you still have to do the exact same things, since it's only the players, and not the characters, who get an insight into the bigger picture makes it all a little chilling, in a way that makes me want to see it all.

I must admit that at certain points in the second round I felt like I was the monster.
"Hey, don't we already have that sword?". I loved that bit.

And hey, I'm trying for C too. I've been wondering if I even got all of the weapons from part 1 though. The game just started me in part 2.

Anyway, anyone who is considering buying it, just go and buy it now. Consider this an order.