Review opinions that you disagree with.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
You ever read a review and then when you play a game and they said something was good or bad and you just find yourself not feeling it like they did? Its not that you hate them or think that they should be relegated to a hell of reviewing only flappy bird clones and youtube fodder but at the end of the day that part of the review just wasnt relevant to your experience?

Well thats what im experiencing right now with alien isolation. I mean from everything I love the gameplay from start to finish. I noticed some reviewers complained about this middle section in teh game where your givin a shotgun and the game goes from stealth to a bit more actiony. Well im not gonna go into too much detail but I felt that was a bit off.

For one it was a nice break from all the intensity of dealing with the alien and not a boring middle part.There were story elements during these points that I was able to better absorb at my leisure and it felt like a reward for having survived against the alien so many times before. For three it wasnt just "hold down right trigger and be an awesome marine OMG!" It was like "I have to wait till the right moment or I wont be able to kill all of these enemies. Then they will be on me and Ill be backed into a corner"(Shooting too late cost you an extra shell which are precious whilst waiting too long they would be on you)

So yeah for me this point in the game was perfect. I havent finished the game yet but my progression on hard has went pretty smooth all things considered and I love it.

So what about you escapists? At what point have you found yourself just going "Nah Im not seeing it this aspect of the game is nothing like he said it would be?"

captcha:wisdom teeth. Ill bite you and make you smart!!!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Jim is too soft on Metro 2033. I like the game, but it has some serious problems. The stealth is horrible, dealing with human enemies makes you want to pull your teeth out and it just feels a little too clunky.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I think that modern day reviewers are FAR worse than those from the early 90's when reviewing took off.

There's WAY too much focus on the duck waving aspects of games (how big an open world is, how good the graphics are, etc.) than the actual amount of enjoyment you can have.

How games such as Skyrim, COD, Gears of War etc get the praise they do is beyond me, when the larger amount of time spent playing them is boring as buggery.

Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 are two prime examples of games which are soulless and mostly a chore to play, but which were generally praised. Bring back Jaz Rignall.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Happens all the time, reviewers' tastes and opinions are never going to align exactly with mine or anybody elses.

I guess the one that sticks out most to me though is Jim Sterling's Modern Warfare 3 review. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything, but I absolutely hated MW3, and I tend to like the series as a whole.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Happens all the time, reviewers' tastes and opinions are never going to align exactly with mine or anybody elses.

I guess the one that sticks out most to me though is Jim Sterling's Modern Warfare 3 review. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything, but I absolutely hated MW3, and I tend to like the series as a whole.
9.5, beeches!

OT: Yeah, sure. That's a big point of reviews and the whole point of finding multiple people to follow. You'll never get the full picture of something if you only ever follow things that conform to your opinions.

Can I think of any specific ones? Uh...

Oh, hey. A go-to answer for a lot of these kinds of threads: Sonic the Hedgehog.

A lot of critics really despise Sonic the Hedgehog these days, while I'm far more forgiving toward it. I can still recognize all of the problems (or at least most of them), but they don't really seem to be as big of an issue for me as they are for everyone else. Sonic 4, for instance. Episode I is a bit tosh, yeah, but Episode II is a vast improvement and somehow it managed to get an even worse reception.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Yes. Every single review ever. I will agree with some bits. Others, not so much. Because no one thinks exactly like me and I don't think exactly like anyone else, meaning that there will be differences in opinion.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yep, like others have said, it's usually a case of having several common points with a reviewer. Most reviews, either of games or movies, that I see, I will find a few points here and there that I disagree with. I follow the reviewers who have shown over time, to have similar likes/dislikes to me. That way, I can usually get a good litmus test for whether it would be something I personally enjoy, based on their similar opinion to mine. It's never 100% of course, but it's a good way for me to decide if I should bother with a particular purchase or not.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
I think that modern day reviewers are FAR worse than those from the early 90's when reviewing took off.
Are you sure about that?

I remember one of the most prominent RPG reviewers of her day, Scorpia, trashing Baldur's Gate as all sizzle and no steak and a dumbing down of the RPG. Sort of the same crap we hear today about the Skyrims or the Dragon Ages, with (ironically) Baldur's Gate and its contemporaries held up as the golden age of the genre.

There are just more voices in the mix now. And people love a controversy, so poorly expressed or controversial reviews will get the spotlight more.

A few people have mentioned Angry Joe, so I'll use him as my example for the OP (although there is a nigh bottomless multitude). His review of Elder Scrolls Online, whilst fair in its totality (game had a lot of problems), spend an inordinate amount of time talking about a "pay to win" scheme that didn't actually exist, or could be considered such only by the most fantastical standards. So even though I concurred with his score, I completely disagreed with how he arrived at it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Far Cry 3: Like Skyrim with guns!

There are a lot of reviews that I disagree with. Some games they love, I hate. Some games they hate, I love. Some games are reviewed way better or worse than I think they are. Take Shadow of Mordor for example, the game got 8s and 9s across the board, and I think that game is about a 6 at best. It is okay to disagree with reviewers, it is okay to agree with reviewers. People just tend to find 3 or 4 different reviewers that they know and trust, and just stick with them.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
that's the point of a review though, you read through them at you see what you agree with and what you disagree with the score is just a number. You need to read/listen to what the reviewer has to say in order to understand where they're coming from and see if what they hate/love in the game aligns with your personal taste

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes, of course it happens. Yahtzee hated Uncharted 2 and accused it of being racist; Jim Sterling hated Assassins Creed 2 while praising Dynasty Warriors; Jeff Gerstmann loves MK vs DC, yet he hates Street Fighter 3...

There are a lot of cases when the opinions of a person will not align with your own (gasp!). The point or a good reviewer is to be able to express those differences of opinion, and let you know whether they would care to you or not.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
There will always be some reviews I won't agree with, some I can strongly disagree with (like the low rated Korra gem of a game that's well worth the £12 compared to games like Day Z), I disagree with Yahtzee every time he feels he has to lump in consoles or fanboys to get his review going, sure I like his reviews when he's berating a bad game but when it's a good one everyone likes and he doesn't I feel it just doesn't fit, if you don't like it don't play it.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I sure do. They're just people expressing their opinions on games after all. They can't be totally spot on, but most of the time they get the general 'good game' 'bad game' thing right for me and that's all that matters. I tend to switch off when more subtle areas of a game are discussed.
Take Yahtzee for instance. A very entertaining reviewer I watch weekly, but my god do I find him harsh on so many games. Same goes for Total Biscuit.
Now movie reviewers...... There's a different story. I find the majority of them a pain in the arse.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I tend to disagree with reviews on the rating a lot, but that's because I think using numbers to represent is awkward at best. Plus the education system seems to have deemed that 7 is the average, when in reality it is 5 (5 is in the middle after all, if you include 0).

Other than that, personal taste and such, that's what friends reviews are for.