Review: Persona 4

The Eaten Cake

Nov 26, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
*sigh* and I won't get a chance to play it until friday evening...

Stupid Canadian release date delays.
You should be happy. I have to wait till next frigging Spring for this game, which is undoubtedly a masterpiece if it's anything as enveloping as P3.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The Eaten Cake said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

You should be happy. I have to wait till next frigging Spring for this game, which is undoubtedly a masterpiece if it's anything as enveloping as P3.
So far it's pretty awesome... though the new main character is kinda funny lookin.

The Eaten Cake

Nov 26, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
The Eaten Cake said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

So far it's pretty awesome... though the new main character is kinda funny lookin.
Ah, you taunt me! Although, I should really finish P3 before I complain about this not being out here. The Hanged Man is damn frustrating.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
So I went to the mall today, and after finding out the game was sold out in Gamestop, and Best Buy had only one copy left, I said 'screw it!' to my stingy side, snagged it, and put the $40 on my Credit Card. I mean, I knew Susan was right about this title going fast, but I never thought THIS fast.

I felt a little guilty, but not after playing it for a few hours. This plot is already even more compelling than Persona 3's.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
That supplement video had me laughing when Susan was describing the enemies.

It sounds extremely interesting. Shame I don't have a PS2 anymore.

Neon Orange Ninja

Dec 14, 2008
I got intrested in the series when a freind showed me Persona 3. About a week later, I ran to my local game store to pick up FES. All in all it was the best 30 bucks i've ever spent on a game.

Can't wait for P4, by the looks of it, It seems to feel alot like persona 3 but in more of a rural setting.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
So I went to the mall today, and after finding out the game was sold out in Gamestop, and Best Buy had only one copy left, I said 'screw it!' to my stingy side, snagged it, and put the $40 on my Credit Card. I mean, I knew Susan was right about this title going fast, but I never thought THIS fast.

I felt a little guilty, but not after playing it for a few hours. This plot is already even more compelling than Persona 3's.
Rule #1 of JRPG collecting...

Always buy atlus games as soon as they come out. They don't last long.

twilinova07

Nov 26, 2008
i cant wait to get this for christmas. sounds like such a bizzare and wonderful experience.

ill miss the whole evoker pistol method of summoning. i thought that was a very cool idea. although i was probably pretty morbid at that time...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm 13 hours in and loving this, my only disappointment is that upping your stats is tough and getting new equipment is annoying. Definitely pleased with the story though.

rizo536

Dec 10, 2008
Onmi said:
Like Thanatos, Satan (THAT Satan) and Messiah.
I remember taking a lot of time to make Thanatos. Alice and Lilith...sheesh. Then, when I finally got all the right personas, I sat for about half an hour just trying to give him a move-set that didn't have more than three Instant Death moves. (I aimed for Mudoon, Please Die!, and Hamaon) It was pure, unadulterated pain. Oh, but the payoff... And don't even get me started on Asura.

By the way, I will never, ever, attain Orpheus Telos. I can't imagine the torture that would be.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Rule #1 of JRPG collecting...

Always buy atlus games as soon as they come out[sup]1[/sup]. They don't last long.
1. All rules have exceptions, this one included [http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/sony/rhapsody].

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
My one and only complaint with this game is the fact you NEED to look at a guide on the last leg of the game if you plan to get any kind of worthwhile ending.

I would be fine with it if they hid just the true ending, but holy crap, getting anything above the bad endings requires some really obscure things, and no hints that you need to do them.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I spent twenty minutes fighting a particularly bitchy boss this weekend. Finally had him down to a sliver of health and then BAM! He throws a bitchy one-hit-kill spell that misses everyone but me.

Yeah, there was some swearing and some switching off of the PS3 in disgust.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I spent twenty minutes fighting a particularly bitchy boss this weekend. Finally had him down to a sliver of health and then BAM! He throws a bitchy one-hit-kill spell that misses everyone but me.

Yeah, there was some swearing and some switching off of the PS3 in disgust.
Stupid Hama/Mudo skills, always work against the main character, never work against the enemies, even when it's their weakness.

I play it on easy/beginner specifically because of the occasional cheap ass move by the enemies.

The Eaten Cake

Nov 26, 2008
harhol said:
The Eaten Cake said:
You should be happy. I have to wait till next frigging Spring for this game.
Why not buy an NTSC machine on eBay? I got one for £30 including two controllers and four memory cards. There are tons of awesome games which have never been released over here: Xenosaga 1 & 3, Raw Danger, Radiata Stories, Suikoden 3, Tales of the Abyss, Eternal Poison, Growlanser Generations, Katamari Damacy, Xenogears (PSX), Valkyrie Profile (PSX), Chrono Cross (PSX)...

Not to mention that each game is 60Hz by default. Final Fantasy X is like a totally different game. Ditto Onimusha.
I already bought a Swap Magic for that purpose, and I own Tales of the Abyss. I have a slight problem of having exactly no pounds in my money reserves.