Review: PixelJunk Shooter

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: PixelJunk Shooter

Who knew playing with water and rocks could be so much fun?

Read Full Article

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Sounds like a fun game to play. I wish i could find similar "environmental puzzlers" on PC.

Hint hint, people: recommend me, if you know any!

EDIT: Look, whoa! 3333 posts, and 33 is my lucky number! Bow down to me!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Looks interesting.

Just wandering... you said that in the multiplayer you lose your claw and gun when using secondary abilities, and therefore had to rely on your partner... does the same apply to single player? how does that work?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Simalacrum said:
Looks interesting.

Just wandering... you said that in the multiplayer you lose your claw and gun when using secondary abilities, and therefore had to rely on your partner... does the same apply to single player? how does that work?
I didn't play it extremely long with Jordan, but I believe you are always given a complement ability, so it's possible to get through by yourself. So for example, when you got the power-up to shoot lava you could also grab rock with your claw. There was also a spin move that you could use to drill through certain substances, all be it a lot slower than with your weapons.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm... this has been trying to seduce me on the Playstation Store for a fair while now, I've enjoyed the PixelJunk games I've played so far so it'd be rude not to add this to my collection. Maybe a payday treat I think.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
shouldn't it be "who knew water and rocks could be so much fun", "know" just sounds a little off.

anyway, the game sound fun, I'll give it a try first thing next month.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
This is the best review I've ever heard on this site. I tend to hate the reviews one here but this one was excellent. Very nicely structured and sticks to the point of describing the game and all it's features instead of making lame jokes.

This game is an absolute blast! My brother and I finished it in pretty much 1 sitting and had a lot of fun in co-op. We got this game and Assassins Creed 2 on the same day and prefered this little downloadable game to the blockbuster. It's slick, polished, fun and never drags along. The elements that are introduced are so simple to grasp that the game doesn't even have to tell you what to do with them, yet it still finds ingenious ways in which they interact to create puzzles. You'll get a good 5 hours or so out of it. Buy it!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Dammit, I want this - looks pretty and fun with neat mechanics. Too bad I don't have a ps3 SHOOT

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
Dammit, I want this - looks pretty and fun with neat mechanics. Too bad I don't have a ps3 SHOOT
Aye >< Ah well!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Pixel Junk is nothing but quality, and Shooter was just amazing.
I'll say that it was a bit too short, but I got what I paid for and there's sure to be DLC sometime.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
As soon as I finished oggling at it on this review I bought it. Thank you escapist for making me aware of this game.

I mean the liquid physics is so satisfying. And the destructible landscape. Its veeery pretty.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
For some reason those devs with the letter Q prominently displayed in their names (Q Games & Q Entertainment) never disappoint me. Yes I plan on picking this up. However I just bought a few of the on-sale games off psn (Zen Pinball, Critter Crunch, and Braid) so I'll probably get Shooter when it goes on sale too.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That... actually looks like a ton of fun. This thing just might turn out to be my very first purchase off the PSN.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Jaredin said:
300lb. Samoan said:
Aye >< Ah well!
Same here. This game looks great and I'd certainly shell out $10 for it, but, well, I don't have the cash on hand to go buy a PS3 right now...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I really must get around to trying out some of the PixelJunk games; I've been meaning to get Eden for a while now, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe I'll get this instead soon.
GonzoGamer said:
I just bought a few of the on-sale games off psn (Zen Pinball, Critter Crunch, and Braid)
Sorry to go off-topic, but is Zen Pinball any good? I love pinball, and I was wondering if it was worth getting the virtual equivalent on the PSN.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Andronicus said:
I really must get around to trying out some of the PixelJunk games; I've been meaning to get Eden for a while now, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe I'll get this instead soon.
GonzoGamer said:
I just bought a few of the on-sale games off psn (Zen Pinball, Critter Crunch, and Braid)
Sorry to go off-topic, but is Zen Pinball any good? I love pinball, and I was wondering if it was worth getting the virtual equivalent on the PSN.
Try and get it for $5 if you still can - it's definitely worth that price. My wife & I like it: it's very realistic so it looks more like a tables and there isn't the cartoon characters popping up and messing with your balls.
If you like video game pinball, it might not be flashy enough but if you like real pinball tables, you'll definitely like it.
The dlc is pretty cheap too: I've already bought the SF2 table.

D-Ship

Typing From Inside Your House!
Jul 13, 2007
BloodyThoughts said:
sounds like a good game. I wish I could find it somewhere. Can anyone help me?
If you have a PS3, BloodyThoughts, just go to the Playstation Store and dig around until you find it. You'll need an internet connection, too, of course, but I'm assuming your presence on the forums means that's not a problem. Unless you're typing this from work, a library, or some other wireless hotspot, anyway.

Like a lot of other people have said here, Q-Games has proven itself to be a quality company. I actually had a chance to meet a few of the team at the Tokyo Game Show, and they're as much a bunch of nice guys as you'd expect. I personally loved Pixeljunk: Monsters most of all. Singleplayer on that game is alright, but the co-op is what has kept me coming back.